TX range

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

TX range

Post#1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:18 am

Rebel TX has range 6, with slightly better health per UC.
IMP TX has range 8.
Which one is better ?

IMHO, they are both good.

If you send both against rockets, then both are junk. Well, the rebel version may die faster but really, who cares.

In real PVP, in general, you would see more bursts on IMP bases and more rockets on rebel bases. This is the key point.

When playing as IMP, I‘d use jumps (range 7) to screen for TXs (range 8) against rockets. Jumps can sustain better against rockets and with shorter range, it can actually help in clearing out buildings and let TXs take out the turrets from behind. Now, if facing rebel bases full of bursts, then I send in TXs first and hold back my jumps. Timing is key here.

When playing as rebel, and against rows of IMP bursts, I’d send TXs first and with range 6, it can soak in bursts laser while allowing my jets (range 7) to do further damage. Similarly if going against IMP rocket farm, which is very rare, then I have to hold back my TXs and send in jets first.

Key point here: You can use stats for comparison, true. But IMHO, it’s better to learn the stats to exploit the units to their max potential, based on unit AI, base on oppenent base layout, and also other troops in load.

Shelendil
Grand Admiral

Re: TX range

Post#2 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:40 pm

The range matters a lot more at low levels, when you don't have jets or jumps yet.
ShadyRebels24
You know you wanna be shady ;)

DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Post#3 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:02 pm

Shelendil wrote:The range matters a lot more at low levels, when you don't have jets or jumps yet.

Well, there is heavy soldier which is similar to jumps/jets as they are both generalists and have same range (of 7).
True ?

Shelendil
Grand Admiral

Post#4 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:29 pm

Don't have the heavy skin unlocked yet, so not using them. And they are unlocked at level 4, before you get heavies. The tanks have to go in first, and so the range matters.

DarkRebel wrote:Well, the rebel version may die faster but really, who cares.

The bottom line is that longer range gives you more options of how to use the unit and makes it harder to kill.
ShadyRebels24

DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Post#5 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:11 pm

Shelendil wrote:Don't have the heavy skin unlocked yet, so not using them. And they are unlocked at level 4, before you get heavies. The tanks have to go in first, and so the range matters.

The bottom line is that longer range gives you more options of how to use the unit and makes it harder to kill.

Gosh. I am surprised you made those statements. You are a veteran of the game and you play rebel for a long time.
At lower level, as rebel, you lead with chewie.
The one case you don’t is when you face bursts at L5, and that’s when you need to lead with hover tanks.

lukeskywalker
Admiral

Post#6 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:24 pm

Shelendil wrote:Don't have the heavy skin unlocked yet, so not using them. And they are unlocked at level 4, before you get heavies. The tanks have to go in first, and so the range matters.

I have to agree with DarkRebel. Range alone does not make a unit better. Range might change how you deploy that unit, and what you can buffer a unit with. Health, targeting preferences, speed, and AI also factor in. The devs have purposely given and taken away, using the various range, health, damage, AI and other considerations for the express purpose of making you think (and for them to make money ... lol). Hails have a 10 tile range, but are made of paper. You deploy the Hails based on knowledge of the range and health factors, and buffer with a high health short range unit. The two work hand in hand. TX's are unique in that they do have faction differences tied to their range. They need to be utilized differently. There have been instances where the health or range factors needed to be adjusted in the past, but I have not had any complaints with the TX's in either faction to date. In fact, I think it's not a coincidence that one factions TX range is 6 tiles and the other is 8 tiles, and jets and some other units like heavies are locked in at 7 tiles.
Last edited by lukeskywalker on Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

Therealharbinger
Commodore

Post#7 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:16 am

I've stopped using TXs as an IMP. All about enhanced ATST. A stack of 4 with a rep droid actually crushes burst farms as they are a bit quicker and dont get cut down like TXs do.
It's strange they didnt change the range though. Given the Naval officer has a good range compared to the Royal Guard it shows it can be done in the game.

Shelendil
Grand Admiral

Post#8 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:20 am

DarkRebel wrote:

Gosh. I am surprised you made those statements. You are a veteran of the game and you play rebel for a long time.
At lower level, as rebel, you lead with chewie.
The one case you don’t is when you face bursts at L5, and that’s when you need to lead with hover tanks.

If the turrets are spread rather than clustered, it helps to have two sets of turret attacking forces and there's only one chewy. Longer range, more options.
ShadyRebels24

strawman3125
Admiral

Post#9 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:20 am

Therealharbinger wrote:I've stopped using TXs ...

So true!

I used TX tanks all the time with both factions, until the WWs/ITTs came out and now I haven't really used the TXs since...

Vilified
Commander

Post#10 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:51 am

DarkRebel wrote:
Shelendil wrote:The range matters a lot more at low levels, when you don't have jets or jumps yet.

Well, there is heavy soldier which is similar to jumps/jets as they are both generalists and have same range (of 7).
True ?

Heavys sustain mortar damage as jump/jets do not. And unfortunately as a generalist ground pounder they are slowed by walls which they have to remove. Rebels do fair better as they have medic drds. As which Imps they have repairs for the TX. Both sides can grind away at treadwell and medics. But your better off advancing your base to 8 to receive the twinkle toes(jet/jumps) since the devs are super stingy with exotic frags! Go get those crates to up your armoury skins! Perk it up and planet hop daily. Thise frags are plentyful.
Long time member of the D.E.F. squad(darkeclipseforce). Here to keep up with the happenings, give advice and hopefully learn a thing or 2. Looking for an English speaking, active warring squad? Check us out.

Return to “General Discussions”