Medal Dumping - Discussion Topic

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
Spirit
Major General

Re: Medal Dumping - Discussion Topic

Post#61 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:59 am

CoolGuy wrote:
Spirit wrote:You have to laugh at statements on here that say medals bring kudos and show your skill.
mini bases have loads of medals but no skill as they attack little bases.
many players dump medals so low medals does not imply anything.
It reminds me of youths feeling "on trend" by tucking undone laces in their trainers. They feel big and important, while everyone else laughs at their foolishness. Think medals, think laces. :lol: :lol: :lol: :x :lol:

If you have skills, then why do you need to dump medals? It's because you are incapable of taking on people at your level, so you artificially lower your level to get easier matches. Medal dumping = cowardice.

You have to look at why people dump medals Coolguy. For example, you mention I should be able to take people at my own level. Well as a recent lev7 with lev6 troops it would be nice to see someone at my "own level" to attack in pvp. All I see are higher level bases with 4 shields, 2 dekas and sonics. Others have similar issues.
For normal pvp, I dont mind being outmatched and enjoy the challenge, but if doing the odd conflict, I would like to win more PvPs than I lose, so will dump a few thousand meds before I start.
medals mean nothing to me and lower medals certainly give fairer matches, but never players lower than me.
And for those who think I am wrong to dump medals. I am a casual lev7 most troops lev6. I have not unlocked shocks or decimators or any elite troops. Dumped medals down to 14.5k. Just managed first attack of this conflict, against reb called Bikilefi, Squad same name). Prestige base, prestige walls, 4 shields 8/9, 2 dekas, full quota of turrets ( lev8 and lower). Traps everywhere, inc drop traps and rancor trap. I managed 79% but only 1 star, could not get hq and I cannot destroy traps.
Those who say players like me have it easy, you have no idea.
An ex-Amazon player, squeezing every last minute from the game..

Player name Dog. Biting rebs across the galaxy and dumping medals in reb bases.

currently out of game

ImperialDeathStar
Commander

Post#62 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:41 pm

Dog, I miss you old chap. Please come back soon!

Lord Vader of squad BRITISH-EMPIRE.

ImperialDeathStar
Commander

Post#63 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Spirit wrote:You have to laugh at statements on here that say medals bring kudos and show your skill.
It reminds me of youths feeling "on trend" by tucking undone laces in their trainers. They feel big and important, while everyone else laughs at their foolishness. Think medals, think laces. :lol: :lol: :lol: :x :lol:

Hi Dog, hope you're well. We miss you in the squad and hope you return soon.

Here's my tuppence worth... Back in the good old days of Windows Mobile SWC medals were the definitive indicator of player experience/skill. Nowadays it would appear that they influence matchmaking to the extent where there is a strong incentive to dump medals essentially clouding their intended meaning. I don't think anyone would disagree that dumping medals makes for easier matchmaking, not easy matchmaking. Many feel very strongly that it is wrong to dump medals, and I am one of them. I have never done it and never will - it is clearly not in the spirit of the game.

Additionally, the current matchmaking algorithm is purportedly dependent on base strength thereby creating a strong incentive to keep one's base strength low, which is best achieved by never upgrading turrets or even building them in the first instance. This I believe is called sandbagging. Although similarly contemptible, sandbagging is not to be confused with teabagging! :) For an example of a sandbagger I recall that I recently attacked a prestige opponent who only had two turrets in their entire base (both of which were level 1 sonics) and an SC full of buffed prestige jumps that nearly wiped out my entire attack. Had I not baited and deployed my SC to counter I would have been toast! Clearly such a player is exploiting his low base strength to get easier matchmaking in conflicts, whilst inviting the attack of lower levelled (I just turned HQ 8) players like me, to rack up conflict points and farm frags.

Both sandbagging and medal dumping are clearly highly-controversial activities designed to exploit the current match making algorithm which is clearly broken. Nobody would deny that both medal dumping and sandbagging are unintended side effects of a broken matchmaking system, and that they are not in the spirit of the game or are how the game was originally meant to be played. Nobody would deny they are controversial.

The only solution to this issue (and it is an issue) is to make matchmaking independent of both medal count and base score. Matchmaking simply needs to be dependent on HQ level. If a player has more frags, a higher base score, or even more medals than another player at the same HQ level, then good on them - they deserve a medal indeed! :D

Hope it makes sense.

Hope to see you back soon Dog.

Lord Vader of squad BRITISH-EMPIRE
Last edited by ImperialDeathStar on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:04 am, edited 8 times in total.

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#64 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm

Spirit wrote:
CoolGuy wrote:

If you have skills, then why do you need to dump medals? It's because you are incapable of taking on people at your level, so you artificially lower your level to get easier matches. Medal dumping = cowardice.

You have to look at why people dump medals Coolguy. For example, you mention I should be able to take people at my own level. Well as a recent lev7 with lev6 troops it would be nice to see someone at my "own level" to attack in pvp. All I see are higher level bases with 4 shields, 2 dekas and sonics. Others have similar issues.
For normal pvp, I dont mind being outmatched and enjoy the challenge, but if doing the odd conflict, I would like to win more PvPs than I lose, so will dump a few thousand meds before I start.
medals mean nothing to me and lower medals certainly give fairer matches, but never players lower than me.
And for those who think I am wrong to dump medals. I am a casual lev7 most troops lev6. I have not unlocked shocks or decimators or any elite troops. Dumped medals down to 14.5k. Just managed first attack of this conflict, against reb called Bikilefi, Squad same name). Prestige base, prestige walls, 4 shields 8/9, 2 dekas, full quota of turrets ( lev8 and lower). Traps everywhere, inc drop traps and rancor trap. I managed 79% but only 1 star, could not get hq and I cannot destroy traps.

I was not going to get into this discussion, because it's a waste of time. The OP only asked what was medal dumping, and I think he already got the answer.

Medal dumping, sandbagging, mini base are a way to play SWC when you know the game well and how matchmaking works, so the way you play SWC is a problem for each one. And each one must play as he sees fit.

No. Medals are not proof of ability. Having as many medals as possible is only evidence that you play SWC for a long time, gained many attacks and/or many defenses. Many medal capped players have my respect because I know they play the game at serious fighting the tougher rivals, but I will never play SWC thinking of medals like I played on Windows.

Medals would be proof of skill if there were no Dev bases, sandbaggings or mini bases. On Windows we did not have Dev bases, just real rivals and if you were below level 10, all you would face were rivals 2-3-4-5 levels above you. I remember attacking HQs 5 with my Imperial HQ 10 on Windows not because I liked it, but because most of the time it was just what I had to attack, either that or CNFOs. I reached 45k medals. But as Rebel HQ 6 I was forced to attack HQs 9-10 and be attacked by them all the time regardless of the number of medals I had for that base.

Today, in addition to my two Prestige bases, I have a mini Imperial HQ 6 (2 turrets level 1 and no traps) and a Rebel HQ 6 maxed out, and just because of that, the rivals for that base were HQ 7 and HQ 8, for about 5k medals. What did I do? I reduced medals to 500 and went back to facing HQs 6 again.

If you are HQ Prestige with a powerful Armory, then medal dumping can be considered cowardice as CoolGuy stated because there is no one above you. But if you are facing rivals 2-3 levels above you it is dumb to keep medals when you know the impact they have on matchmaking.

In addition, a game that takes medals into account to set rivals when there are so many ways to fool the matchmaking or get medals is stupid. Win a defense and you can win twice as many medals as if you were winning an attack!

My Imperial Prestige base was attacked 4 times in a week, 3 of the attacks were medal dumpers! One of the defenses gave me 41 medals. I do not give a shit about medals, but I stopped dumping them when I started to win more medals winning defenses than winning attacks. I realized that was pure waste of time. But each one plays as he thinks fit.
A Windows survivor now training players and helping squads through the Galaxy!

Imperial HQ Prestige / HQ 6 in "BombSquad18" (Level 50 squad)
Rebel HQ Prestige / HQ 8 / HQ 6 in "Ewok_revenge" (Level 50 squad)

Midge
Grand Admiral

Post#65 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:01 am

ImperialDeathStar wrote:
lukeskywalker wrote:Midge, just not going to change my approach because other people think I should be doing it there way.

You really do need to make your posts more concise.

No no no ... can't change his approach ... our spell their correctly!

He needs a lot of words to defend medal dumping ...

Instead of the real simple, "I do it because I am scared."
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed

Midge
Grand Admiral

Post#66 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:03 am

Spirit wrote:
CoolGuy wrote:

You have a good point ... plenty of people with a ton of medals are not good players.

But EVERY player who dumps medals to get easier matchups is weak. That is the entire reason they dump the medals.

lukeskywalker
Commodore

Post#67 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:45 am

Spirit wrote:
CoolGuy wrote:

Spirit,

Don't worry about what the others think. Do what works for you. Just internet tough guys whining behind their screens. The reason for the name calling, is they don't want other players making it harder for them to get conflict UC crates. The game is all about them. The irony is that a majority of players who dump medals are not competing for crates. They are running into match-up issues at level 7 and 8, like yourself. That is due to the armory, which is the sandbaggers biggest tool (not mini bases or medal dumping). Sandbaggers exploit the armory. At level 7 or 8, if you max out your base, you start to get matched up with level 7's through 10's with high level armories and special units. Huge advantage for them. It's a reason just changing matchups to HQ won't solve the problem. People will just exploit level 7 and 8, and park (max out armory at that level). Same result. I believe the devs already have made changes in recent updates, since the match-up gap has tightened to one HQ level in general. Nothing has changed from a results standpoint (Use a few more units to 3 star, but get more conflict points with mini bases due to the higher level opponent. A wash).

The players who have armory levels at level 6-10 have a huge edge over players at the same level or even a level above them. Especially if their opponent is a casual player who does not have any armory upgrades or special units. The same edge as a level 8 player would have vs. a level 5 player. It's the main reason casual players have a difficult time competing. They do not have the same weapons. It is what the developers use to drive crate purchases, since casual players do not want to commit the same time as serious players. Armory warriors are the biggest sandbaggers, and are the definition of sandbagging. They look like the same level player, but their maxed out armory gives them a massive edge. Those players are not going to grumble about themselves, especially if they lost medals during medal gate and are operating as sandbaggers now. I have both a max base and a mini base. They have the same edges. Dev bases add even more issues to match-ups and conflict events, but that's another topic.

Just keep doing what you are doing. Casual and semi-serious players are just as important as the 2% crowd, in keeping the game going, so tune out the noise. There's a reason why match-making is based on medals and base score. It's not an accident. I suspect it's because a majority of players rush their base upgrades to unlock higher level units for the fun, and that would make them vulnerable in an HQ base match-up algorithm. Here's a novel thought, how about making the game welcoming and fun for the majority!
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

Midge
Grand Admiral

Post#68 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:54 am

Oh Jesus ... you bring other bullshit into the argument as if that has anything to do with medal dumping.

That is cool.

But it really is simple ... Why are you dumping medals?

There is ONE answer ... for easier matchups so you can pick on people lower than you (which is what you seem to be implying the people who get medals and build their base do?)

People dump medals for easier matchups. No matter how you slice it, that eliminates you from being in the top tier of players. Which is fine. I have a kid that I told not to go above Level 7 because she enjoys the game there and it will get tougher.

I don't get playing a game without the goal of trying to go after the best and play with the best.

And, I certainly don't get how dumping medals is anything other than making yourself get into a pool with players who are weaker than you. Talking about for the majority of the players, but you are intentionally beating up on players that can't fight back? Seems pretty hypocritical.

I said from the get-go, I am fine with dumping medals. But 26,000-word dissertations in an attempt to explain it as anything other than ... "Woah, those big guys crush me" ... frankly ... are total bullshit. Medal dumping is a way to manipulate yourself into easier matchups because you don't want to challenge yourself to be better, whether in war or in PvP.

It is fine if that is how you want to play. But that is what it is.

lukeskywalker
Commodore

Post#69 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:32 pm

Midge,

DiabloGrunt and Spirit asked the original questions. You seem to want them to play the game as you see it was intended, and don't seem to care a bit about actually helping them. Again, all about you. You want to tell them what kind of car, house, tablet, to buy while you are at it? Giving them a better answer than suck it up or resorting to name calling might help. Then others won't need to chime in to help explain options, the why's, or defend them from personal attacks. Medal dumping and mini bases are not ideal, but there are factors in the game that drive those strategies. None of us can change them. Only the devs can.
lukeskywalker
Leader

lukeskywalker
Commodore

Post#70 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:36 pm

Midge,

For what it's worth, I suspect you are a good guy at heart. Some topics may just be hot button issues for you or we may just be having a classic case of personality conflict. Two very different approaches to life. Good luck to you and your squad. I just hope the take away can be to help others navigate the game.
lukeskywalker
Leader

Return to “General Discussions”