No longer sandbagging

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
Countfitz

No longer sandbagging

Post#1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:51 pm

So, I just decided, unknowing how unplayable it would make the game, to stop sandbagging and focus (just barely) on defense.

The game is completely unplayable.

I regularly 3 starred just about every attack. Now, if lucky, I can eeek out 1 star by focusing everything on a base if somebody leaves the base in a corner.

And my sandbagging vs. now wasn't that drastic, I added 5 traps, upgraded my SC to 4th level, and upgraded my shields and turrets all to 6th. At least, I thought it wasn't that drastic. I'm basically not able to move planets anymore and play maybe 5 minutes a day now.

So that's it for this game.

Maybe after a few months of waiting, forever, for upgrades to my offense, I can start playing regularly again. If I ever get back into the game.

Honestly, it's not even something the creators will care about, I'd already spent money on my droids, and wasn't going to buy anything else, since, well, they don't really have anything else in the game to buy. So they got my money already.

Gaardian
Storm Trooper

Re: No longer sandbagging

Post#2 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:08 pm

If you are having that tough of a time, drop your medal count. You also may need to change tactics as you may be used to not having any reasonable resistance when attacking.

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#3 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:58 pm

Upgrading shields has a big impact on your base score, as does adding traps. There's a reason most upgrade guides recommend leaving these items to the end.

I learned this lesson the hard way too. I upgraded my shields to level 9, while my turrets were still at level 7 & 8. I had many months of regret after that.
HQ 10 - Sons of Death

You must do what you think is right, of course.

mkenobi
Admiral

Post#4 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:12 pm

For almost one year, i am running mini bases as Imperial and Rebel to see the impact of base strenght/medals in the matchmaking. A new turret add 25 to your base strength, a new trap add 30. If you want to make your life a nightmare, build and max out all turrets and traps. Each shield adds about 3 points per level (isn't much weight at level 6 but if you are Level 9, with 4 shields it starts to be), but you need at least 1-2 shields to protect your Squad Center.

But I think the sandbagging/mini base strategy now doesn't work as good as in the past. Since Update 7.0 something has changed with the matchmaking, as I've been noticing. Maybe dropping medals still works, because I'm seeing HQs 9, 10 and Prestige with less than 100 medals. Today a Prestige sandbagging joined my Rebel Squad. He has 47 medals.

A few months ago, I started a new "mkenobi" Imperial mini base and when I reached HQ 5 after the 7.0 Update this base started to be matched with normal Level 5 and high level sandbagings/minis like HQ 9 and 10. Unfortunately, my device crashed and I lost this base. I had about 1k medals for this account.

But I still have an old Imperial mini, now at HQ 6, with no traps and only 2 turrets level 1, and I am playing with this base again, but all my rivals are normal Level 5 and Level 6 -- many with active Armory --, with low level defenses, but there isn't that huge difference of 2-3 levels when attacking on Tatooine now. Outside Tatooine as all rivals are HQ 5 or above things didn't change much. I have +10k medals for this account.

If anyone else is running a mini, and noticed that the level of your rivals had an increase after the update 7.0, can confirm my suspicion that Devs changed something in the matchmaking criteria, and now HQ level is more important than medals or base strenght.

I believe Devs are trying to control the epidemic of mini bases, and prevent macro users of using minis to automatize their attacks and get the top of conflicts. I don't keep looking at the top players in the leaderboard to see who is mini or not, but I think that's what is hapenning.
A Windows survivor now training players and helping squads through the Galaxy!

Imperial HQ Prestige in "BombSquad18" (Level 49 squad)
Rebel HQ Prestige / HQ 8 in "Ewok_revenge" (Level 50 squad)

PartylikeVader
Captain

Post#5 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:33 pm

Just adding some flavor to this discussion:

“Sandbagger” dev bases exist now. Yes - two turret developer bases.

This would seem contrary to the argument that there is an anti-mini base initiative by SWC devs.
Rath Severus
Leader of PartylikeVader

FruitBowlMafia
Commodore

Post#6 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:51 pm

PartylikeVader wrote:Just adding some flavor to this discussion:

This would seem contrary to the argument that there is an anti-mini base initiative by SWC devs.

You would know...

My animosity toward you is not personal. It’s just you take advantage of the game by having a coward base and drive up the UC curve on all planets with multiple users.

It’s not cool, it’s selfish & ridiculous.
Lone_Rebellion

LosVega
Major General

Post#7 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:03 pm

Countfitz wrote:So, I just decided, unknowing how unplayable it would make the game, to stop sandbagging and focus (just barely) on defense.

If you're a HQ level 6 now, there is no such thing as defense unless your base is fully maxed out on turrets, shields and SC and you have decent GR troop levels. Most likely you are getting hit by HQ7 and low base score 8s. Tough to defend against that.

Countfitz wrote:And my sandbagging vs. now wasn't that drastic, I added 5 traps, upgraded my SC to 4th level, and upgraded my shields and turrets all to 6th. At least, I thought it wasn't that drastic.

Let's see, you were already down 3 levels on the SC before upgrading, added 150 to your base score with just the traps alone and shields/turrets were down a level to your HQ. That by definition is beyond drastic. It's a classic case of upgrading in the wrong order.

I don't think there was nothing wrong in your intentions. I have a level 3 rebel base that will never see upgrades beyond that because I enjoy be able to log in and attack without the distractions of doing a heroic defense, chasing frags, resetting traps, 8 minute plus cook times and no air needed. Defense is no problem either because the same level 8 sniper and twilek has sat in my SC for over 2 weeks. At that level, not many attackers can survive that. My suggestion would be either accept the fact that you are going to on the losing side of defending for some time until you get turrets, shields and SC upgraded to match HQ or just simply start over.
BATTALION FAMILY
WOLF, DRAGON, REDBAK, ROYALX, FALCON, GATOR
Duza's Elite & Duza's Finest - Empire
Looking for a great squad? Come by for a visit, make new friends and maul
some ass

LosVega
Major General

Post#8 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:13 pm

Oh boy, here we go...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I would hazard a guess that the creation of dev bases has been expanded just to address the (increased?) activity of real lower level player bases. Hopefully not just so macro using sandbaggers have something to take advantage of because they can't do much elso beyond irritate the hell of the majority of the player base. I would also offer the opinion that the clock is ticking down on those antics....
BATTALION FAMILY
WOLF, DRAGON, REDBAK, ROYALX, FALCON, GATOR
Duza's Elite & Duza's Finest - Empire
Looking for a great squad? Come by for a visit, make new friends and maul
some ass

mkenobi
Admiral

Post#9 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:19 pm

I also had this impression, because some bases I find with my mini Imperial HQ 6 are minis at high level, like HQ 9 and 10, but I don't believe Devs would build mini bases only to adjust them to the matchmaking and base strenght of players running mini bases have similar targets to hit. Is too much stupid for my mind.

More and more players are running minis, more and more squads are getting specialized in use minis in squad wars. Our last 3 wars in my Imperial squad were against squad running mini bases, and we lost all, because their HQs are 8, 9 and 10, and my squad only have newbies at 4-5-6, maybe one or two 7.

I also run a mini base, but I keep saying minis are an epidemic. Is funny running a mini and have easy wins, but is stupid and agasint the original SWC strategy, and is helping to ruin the game even more.
A Windows survivor now training players and helping squads through the Galaxy!

Imperial HQ Prestige in "BombSquad18" (Level 49 squad)
Rebel HQ Prestige / HQ 8 in "Ewok_revenge" (Level 50 squad)

Fivecrayfish
Squadron Leader

Post#10 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:32 am

Your fault in this was that you bought traps, that's all, had you not bought any traps and upgraded everything else, you'd still be in the run.

I can confirm this post 100%, sand bagger dev bases do exist tho, a lvl 5-6 sand bagger on tat (imp) would get paired with lvl 10-9 (or in rare cases prestige) bases. These bases will provide you with extreme loot (enough to fill your storages in one attack, including CB storage), I have a lvl 7 mini (not sandbagger since only have 510 medals) with lvl 8 Deka, lvl 9 mini with 20 deka, 18 dekO.

I can't confirm this post for high medal counts tho since both my minis have less than 600 medals.
Been playing since day 1, was there to see all the blunders this game made, had over 8 accounts (rebel/imp), still no idea why I'm playing.

Return to “General Discussions”