NOTICE: New Guard Reserve - Rebel Sharp Shooter / Empire Shock Trooper - Discussion Topic

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
PhoenixAZ1899
Admiral

Re: NOTICE: New Guard Reserve - Rebel Sharp Shooter / Empire Shock Trooper - Discussion Topic

Post#101 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:07 pm

In all seriousness, I am looking forward to seeing if any Imperials can beat my base without extensive air. I would love to find a working solution to let me play the game again as a free-to-play player. If I find a replay that can take out my GR Sullustans (assuming I unlock them) that doesn't use any air, I'll be glad to be back in business!
Chasin' after my fortune & glory
~152,000 medals. Newborn Prestige Base. Free to play (use air and SC only in emergencies). Rank 29. Not bragging: these stats tell you what I am seeing at my level. Your mileage will vary.

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Re: NOTICE: New Guard Reserve - Rebel Sharp Shooter / Empire Shock Trooper - Discussion Topic

Post#102 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:47 pm

PhoenixAZ1899 wrote:In all seriousness, I am looking forward to seeing if any Imperials can beat my base without extensive air. I would love to find a working solution to let me play the game again as a free-to-play player. If I find a replay that can take out my GR Sullustans (assuming I unlock them) that doesn't use any air, I'll be glad to be back in business!

No, my friend. Having this unit at level 1 or 2 will not make it more effective than the other GR you are likely to have at a much higher level.

Plus many Empire faction players will have seen how to deal with sniper GR from successful attacks on their bases. After all, you only need to see it done successfully once to learn the trick.

Picking up on the offence / defence balance point, the game had 283,000 active commanders in October 2017, a month or two after GR was introduced. There are now 168,000 (stats recorded in the All Player Stats thread).

Obviously, some attrition over time is to be expected. It's also fair to observe that GR frags and armoury frags have given purpose to conflicts and given players something to grind for. However, the endless arms race in needing to keep up with frags to maintain the game's playability has had a cumulative negative effect in the long run.

When old commanders / customers return to the game it's very hard for them to continue to play, as they just don't have the frags for it.
HQ 10 - Sons of Death

You must do what you think is right, of course.

DeathStriker

Post#103 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:55 pm

Where I am looking at using my new Sharpshooter GR (once Unlocked / Upgraded) is as a replacement for Bantha GR on all Planets except Hoth.

I look forward to using the Sharpshooter GR in HD "events" to help get those HD Bronzium Crates from "Infantry Only Events" which I find to be the hardest to defend against.

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

mkenobi
Admiral

Post#104 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:02 pm

ObiWanKenobi2016 wrote:
PhoenixAZ1899 wrote:In all seriousness, I am looking forward to seeing if any Imperials can beat my base without extensive air. I would love to find a working solution to let me play the game again as a free-to-play player. If I find a replay that can take out my GR Sullustans (assuming I unlock them) that doesn't use any air, I'll be glad to be back in business!

No, my friend. Having this unit at level 1 or 2 will not make it more effective than the other GR you are likely to have at a much higher level.

Plus many Empire faction players will have seen how to deal with sniper GR from successful attacks on their bases. After all, you only need to see it done successfully once to learn the trick.

Picking up on the offence / defence balance point, the game had 283,000 active commanders in October 2017, a month or two after GR was introduced. There are now 168,000 (stats recorded in the All Player Stats thread).

Obviously, some attrition over time is to be expected. It's also fair to observe that GR frags and armoury frags have given purpose to conflicts and given players something to grind for. However, the endless arms race in needing to keep up with frags to maintain the game's playability has had a cumulative negative effect in the long run.

When old commanders / customers return to the game it's very hard for them to continue to play, as they just don't have the frags for it.

I don't understand why people keep putting their faith on this Guard Reserve crap. Imperials had a huge advantage in the beginning but this is over after consecutive nerfs of Sniper GR. If Rebels think have Sullustan in GR will save their bases from the AT-ACT or Lord Vader, and buffed Jumps, I will laugh a lot when they start complaining that the GR Sullustan is a shit like Rodians now are.

All rebels attacking my base fail, not because of my Sniper/Rodian GR. But because of my buffed Bursts and Sonics, and a layout from hell with 3 high level GR units and my SC strategically placed inside my base. Only 3 Rebels in more than 1 month were able to take 1 star from my base. Two of them used everything they had to drop my shields and bomb my HQ with 3 U-Wings. The other attacker deployed everything in one place and hit my HQ with a horde of Jets and ships to clean GR and turrets in the way.

There's no way to not use air, you need to hit GR, LAAT/IDT units and ground units from the SC. What you can do, is make all units go to the same direction, while attacking by the other side and try to hit everything you can. There's no other strategy to deal with GR at high levels. If you still have troops and ships, you can attack those units when they are coming back, or leave with 1, maybe 2 stars, and save the rest of your ships for the next attack.

As DS wrote, GR are essential to win against Infantry raids in HDs. For PvP against skilled players, they are not a solution to stop jets/jumps. You need high level turrets with high level buffs, a full SC and a great defensive layout.

For Imperials, the Shock Trooper GR can be an alternative for their 3rd GR, most use Dewbacks as I am, but even at high levels, I don't think Shocks can be better than Dewbacks -- not for damage but for amount of units coming out from the barracks, as a good way to delay and distract the attacker.

For Rebels, using of Sharpshooters in GR, can mean one less GR unit, while they need another slot for the Sullustan buff, and want to keep their buffed Jets in SC while SC at Prestige allows you to put 6 buffed Jets, instead of 5 Sharps/Sullustan -- and they can be killed by air as soon as come out.

And the game is too much on defense. Where's the fun? What's the point of so many items for defense at each new update? Let's forget about attack and sitting on our thrones waiting for the next attacker to faceplant. That's what I am doing in my Imperial base.
A Windows survivor now training players and helping squads through the Galaxy!

Imperial HQ Prestige in "BombSquad18" (Level 49 squad)
Rebel HQ Prestige / HQ 8 in "Ewok_revenge" (Level 50 squad)

luke50

Post#105 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:14 pm

Agree. The sniper gr will not replace what I use now for my rebel base. I do fine with the banthas, skiffs, and soldiers. The buffed bursts, sonics, and my sc do the trick 80% of the time. With only two more upgrades to go on my gr, it will only get better. It's going to be a while before the sniper gr will be an option for me. I don't anticipate winning more than 5-6 UC's in the two conflicts combined. Just not worth devoting that much time to a game. I want to keep it enjoyable and not make it a job. I'm also not sure using two gr slots for the sniper and the sullustan skin is worth the tradeoff. We'll see down the road. It's easy enough now, to beat most rodian guarded bases. The max level bases are tough to beat, regardless of which options they choose.

LS

FruitBowlMafia
Commodore

Post#106 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:44 pm

mkenobi wrote:
ObiWanKenobi2016 wrote:

I don't understand why people keep putting their faith on this Guard Reserve crap. Imperials had a huge advantage in the beginning but this is over after consecutive nerfs of Sniper GR. If Rebels think have Sullustan in GR will save their bases from the AT-ACT or Lord Vader, and buffed Jumps, I will laugh a lot when they start complaining that the GR Sullustan is a shit like Rodians now are.

All rebels attacking my base fail, not because of my Sniper/Rodian GR. But because of my buffed Bursts and Sonics, and a layout from hell with 3 high level GR units and my SC strategically placed inside my base. Only 3 Rebels in more than 1 month were able to take 1 star from my base. Two of them used everything they had to drop my shields and bomb my HQ with 3 U-Wings. The other attacker deployed everything in one place and hit my HQ with a horde of Jets and ships to clean GR and turrets in the way.

There's no way to not use air, you need to hit GR, LAAT/IDT units and ground units from the SC. What you can do, is make all units go to the same direction, while attacking by the other side and try to hit everything you can. There's no other strategy to deal with GR at high levels. If you still have troops and ships, you can attack those units when they are coming back, or leave with 1, maybe 2 stars, and save the rest of your ships for the next attack.

As DS wrote, GR are essential to win against Infantry raids in HDs. For PvP against skilled players, they are not a solution to stop jets/jumps. You need high level turrets with high level buffs, a full SC and a great defensive layout.

For Imperials, the Shock Trooper GR can be an alternative for their 3rd GR, most use Dewbacks as I am, but even at high levels, I don't think Shocks can be better than Dewbacks -- not for damage but for amount of units coming out from the barracks, as a good way to delay and distract the attacker.

For Rebels, using of Sharpshooters in GR, can mean one less GR unit, while they need another slot for the Sullustan buff, and want to keep their buffed Jets in SC while SC at Prestige allows you to put 6 buffed Jets, instead of 5 Sharps/Sullustan -- and they can be killed by air as soon as come out.

And the game is too much on defense. Where's the fun? What's the point of so many items for defense at each new update? Let's forget about attack and sitting on our thrones waiting for the next attacker to faceplant. That's what I am doing in my Imperial base.

Thats a big book you wrote there but I need a 2nd farm for all these Imp plants on my Sully GR in 24 hrs.

Ive not been able to sleep because I’m giggling in bed waking up to Plant after Plant after Plant.

As far as the Skinned @@ or Skinned Vader, or Skinned Jets. These worthless Imp troopers get absolutely melted with GR SS...

Everyone on board the Balance Bandwagon now huh? Shit is so funny it warms my heart. :lol:
Lone_Rebellion

PhoenixAZ1899
Admiral

Post#107 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:29 pm

I was not clear. I meant I was excited about the prospect of seeing how to beat Sniper/Sullustan GR when Imperials start beating my Sullustans, when I get them unlocked. Then I can finally learn how to play PvP F2P again. I've heard numerous Imperials say how to beat it (just bait, basically, they say), but I've always failed. When the Imperials finally have the chance to show me on my own base, without using 3+ starships, and still win, then I can mimic their attacks and finally be able to play again.
Chasin' after my fortune & glory
~152,000 medals. Newborn Prestige Base. Free to play (use air and SC only in emergencies). Rank 29. Not bragging: these stats tell you what I am seeing at my level. Your mileage will vary.

lma
Commodore

Post#108 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:19 pm

mkenobi wrote:
ObiWanKenobi2016 wrote:

I respectfully disagree re rodians GR being weak. Yes burst turrets are op, esp imp bursts, but they are stationary, they dont hide against the green/dark background.. so they are easy to beat, provided that there's no rodians to fight against. Yes bursts mixed with well placed sonics do most of the damage, because i have to bring a loadout that allows me to destroy barracks quickly otherwise my entire army will get wiped out.. and jets play a vital role in that.. and guess what.. bursts have bonus modifier against jets...without rodian skinned sniper GR.. i dont even need to bring many jets if any.. i can just rely on a loadout that out ranges bursts... i can also spend more attention fighting the turrets rather than constantly looking for these green buggers.. mind you, the rodians i'm talking about are the ones in my matchmaking pool..maxed base, maxed medals.. most have lv10 or close to lv10 GR and rodian skin..
I agree re low lv sniper gr plus low level rodian.. they dont do much

Are your rebel and imp account in similar matchmaking pool? If so are you having easier time winning D on your imp account? If so.. i'm guessing it's because of the rodians GR whether directly or indirectly.... since it's the only thing your rebel base does not have..

ChiptheFish
Major General

Post#109 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:24 am

I'm also in the "sharps GR bought to light it UUUUPPP!!!" camp, like @fruitbowl and @lma. For the imperials, don't lose any sleep grinding for the shock trooper gr though - the devs didn't buff them enough to make them effective at all.
Chip the Fish, Rebel: HQ Prestige, Medals: 26K, Battle Rank: 13 (Android)
ObiTwo: Officer in this Level 43 Squad - Join us!
Casual but active L4-11 player's welcome. 2-3 wars a week. Any time-zone. English only

mkenobi
Admiral

Post#110 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:36 am

lma wrote:Are your rebel and imp account in similar matchmaking pool? If so are you having easier time winning D on your imp account? If so.. i'm guessing it's because of the rodians GR whether directly or indirectly.... since it's the only thing your rebel base does not have..

No, they aren't - my Imperial Prestige was blessed with crystals from Windows, my Rebel Prestige is poor. :D :D

My Rebel Prestige HQ has turrets and Level 8 traps, and my HQ 8 (maxed out) is attacked only by Level 10 and Prestige now, why would I worry about try to win PvP defenses with these bases? No, I have a life. Notifications disabled, both HQs use HD layout. Anyone can go there and take 3 stars and give me 16h of protection, thank you. I do not care.

But as Imperial I want to have a better and stronger base than the one I had on Windows (920 defenses). I adjusted the layout from that old base to my current base, to work with the buffed Burst and Sonics and my GR Rodians / MHC / Dewbacks. Any Rebel can try their luck against that base. One night I slept on ErKit and I was attacked 19 times, I won 18 defenses until I lost by 1 star in the 19th attack.

You can win high bases with mid-level Rodian GR, bad layout, dekas and traps out of order, poor / empty SC, and be happy when that happens. But do not attack maximized players who are at the top of the food chain. Do not bother them if you want to have a happy life in this game. They are a nightmare for anyone not because of the Rodians, but because of the layout and all maxed out defensive items. Same for maxed out Rebels.

A new GR won't change much for them because they already win most of their defenses, but in a medium time can help them to win more defenses, probably. I really hope all Rebels can unlock and upgrade the desired Sharpshooter GR, at least so maybe they'll shut up at once about this. Who needs to win attacks anyway if winning defense you win more medals than attacking?
A Windows survivor now training players and helping squads through the Galaxy!

Imperial HQ Prestige in "BombSquad18" (Level 49 squad)
Rebel HQ Prestige / HQ 8 in "Ewok_revenge" (Level 50 squad)

Return to “General Discussions”