An Armoury Free planet

Please post any suggestions that could make the game more enjoyable for everyone. Feel free to also encourage Disney with praise of things you like.
ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

An Armoury Free planet

Post#1 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:44 am

The armoury has it's uses. Everyone likes to attack with buffed units, but beating buffed defences isn't easy even with the buffed units, and if you don't have buffed units, or your skins are L1, forget about it.

A solution that's often been mooted is to have an Armoury free planet. The game has one in the form of Sullust -the location for Squad War attacks. The argument runs, why not make it available for PvP?

This thread is intended to explore that idea, although my suggestion for a buff-free planet would be for it to be Tatooine - the planet that players all start on. In this way, players could start and develop using the original game mechanics, and develop their skills, and move on to buffable planets once they're ready, and once their skins are at a reasonable level.

I also suggest Tatooine, as that will inevitably have higher player numbers. A planet that people only visited for 'easy' attacks with buffs wouldn't help, because no-one would park their base there, and so there will very quickly be no-one for players to attack there. It would become the Galactic capital of CNFO.

In this scenario, players with high buffs for their level (and no doubt loot) would park their bases where the buffs could help them, so the other planets would still be populated.

I've found as i've gotten older that a lot of the truths we cling to depend on one's point of view. Let's hear some of yours.

Please note, there's another thread with seeking suggestions and discussion of how to improve player retention here:
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=22701 including a very interesting suggestion for reducing the number of planets. But let's keep this thread focussed on an armoury free planet.
HQ 10 - Sons of Death

You must do what you think is right, of course.

SithVicious
Commander

Re: An Armoury Free planet

Post#2 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:15 am

I like this idea. But why not integrate Sullust as a new PvP planet into the game. Without armory and if you switch to sullust, the sullust layout (war layout) is loaded automatically ....
Proud member of SITh - home of fun, glory, cider & banter .... #DARKSIDE

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#3 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:21 am

SithVicious wrote:I like this idea. But why not integrate Sullust as a new PvP planet into the game. Without armory and if you switch to sullust, the sullust layout (war layout) is loaded automatically ....

The problem of using Sullust are that:
1) It would further dilute the player base by adding an extra PvP planet.
2) There would be little incentive for players, esp High level players to park their bases there. People would only want to visit to attack, but with no-one parking their bases there, there would be no-one to attack. That's the principle reason i suggest it should be Tatooine.
3) War layouts are often closely guarded secrets and / or changed depending on the outposts available.
HQ 10 - Sons of Death

ChiptheFish
Major General

Post#4 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:57 am

Agree 100%. Great idea. Sadly I think it won't gain traction because the current "strategy" of the accountants at SWC HQ is compulsive crate addiction. If you can't engage the craving for crates on home base Tattoine, a high percentage of your incoming players might never take the next step.

I'm hoping I'm wrong though because this has potential to be an elegant solution to a messy problem.
Chip the Fish, Rebel: HQ Prestige, Medals: 28K, Battle Rank: 14(Android)
FriskyEwoks: Level 50 Squad - Join us!

TNT
Major General

Post#5 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:08 am

I like the idea of an armory free planet, however there are a number of reasons I can image that this will never happen:
1: Money. Crates most likely generate money and frags means crates.
2: Adding a new planet is a bad idea. We're already stretched thin, now imagine another planet that's added now and would need to be unlocked? Only lvl10s allowed for now. Some of whom are wallet warriors and thus have a vested interest in things remaining as they are.

However, what if:

(I hope you don't mind me cross posting:)
ObiWanKenobi2016 wrote:That's a good analysis of the current planets.

I hadn't seen the remove planets suggestion until recently. I think that idea has great merit. The planets could still exist for War outposts. Players would still need to unlock them to compete in Wars.

My proposal on that would be to remove Tako and Dando:
Yavin for green skins (there's plenty of incentive to unlock Tako and Dando for Wars)
Hoth for snow skins
Erkit for desert skins
Tat - armoury free - no skins / GR allowed - Let's give the lower players more of a chance.

I guess turning Tat into one could work.
You avoid the population/unlock problem.
You know that feeling you can have in certain games where you revisit the starting area after having lvled up a lot? Or you replay a high skill game?
You can simulate that feeling of journey/accomplishment if the starter planet is like that. It also makes the armory feel even more elite than it already is. Potentially increasing its desirability.
Join the OuterRimRioters.
Drama free, laid back, regular wars and multiple time zones coverage.
No Line or Discord required. (though the latter is available if you want to)

Also available in a trial version.

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#6 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:28 am

TNT wrote:(I hope you don't mind me cross posting:)

Not at all, my friend. I think the idea of reducing the number available planets was something I got from one of your posts.
Last edited by DeathStriker on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Topic Post - Corrected Quote for Clarity
HQ 10 - Sons of Death

Midge
Grand Admiral

Post#7 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:38 am

It simply makes NO sense at all financially. None.

It would require a fuckton of Dev bases as well.

It just is not something that is viable or makes much sense within the current dynamics of the game.
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed

Plagueis
Grand Admiral

Post#8 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:40 am

There would be and instantaneous return to the kessen/snipe/lugga or luke/heavy/med builds and defense would become nearly impossible again. Doesn’t sound like much fun, especially for imps who’ll go back to e at-at/mhcs but will be outgunned on defense, especially having weaker RFTs that will have pretty much no chance of killing med droids. I remember when er’kit was the rebel stronghold and it wasn’t just because a lot of rebels camped out there. It was because all of the kessen conflicts took place on er’kit and rebels had absolutely no trouble dominating them.

TNT
Major General

Post#9 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:03 am

Plagueis wrote:There would be and instantaneous return to the kessen/snipe/lugga or luke/heavy/med builds and defense would become nearly impossible again. Doesn’t sound like much fun, especially for imps who’ll go back to e at-at/mhcs but will be outgunned on defense, especially having weaker RFTs that will have pretty much no chance of killing med droids. I remember when er’kit was the rebel stronghold and it wasn’t just because a lot of rebels camped out there. It was because all of the kessen conflicts took place on er’kit and rebels had absolutely no trouble dominating them.

Indeed. I mentioned this in a different post on the forum regarding war defenses, but overlooked it here.
The Rapid Fire Turret nerf means Imperials can't defend on non armory planets any more.
Join the OuterRimRioters.
Drama free, laid back, regular wars and multiple time zones coverage.
No Line or Discord required. (though the latter is available if you want to)

Also available in a trial version.

ChiptheFish
Major General

Post#10 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:21 am

Plagueis wrote:There would be and instantaneous return to the kessen/snipe/lugga or luke/heavy/med builds and defense would become nearly impossible again. Doesn’t sound like much fun, especially for imps who’ll go back to e at-at/mhcs but will be outgunned on defense, especially having weaker RFTs that will have pretty much no chance of killing med droids. I remember when er’kit was the rebel stronghold and it wasn’t just because a lot of rebels camped out there. It was because all of the kessen conflicts took place on er’kit and rebels had absolutely no trouble dominating them.

Ahhh... the good ol' days.
Chip the Fish, Rebel: HQ Prestige, Medals: 28K, Battle Rank: 14(Android)
FriskyEwoks: Level 50 Squad - Join us!

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”