Success against guard reserve bases (Rebel strategies)

Tips and Strategies for Attacking Rivals.
Euph
Major General

Re: Success against guard reserve bases (Rebel strategies)

Post#41 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:49 pm

Sigma582 wrote:
PhoenixAZ1899 wrote:Rrr is probably referring either to hails or to TXs. I don't think we have anything else that does splash damage.

I think he meant something blue and HOT if you know what I mean :)

Think redder, and angrier. ;)
Sith-Society
Mature HQ10. Immature meat-bag.
Could not find an opponent.

Shelendil
Admiral

Post#42 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:44 pm

... rancor?
ShadyRebels24
You know you wanna be shady ;)

Euph
Major General

Post#43 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:27 pm

Shelendil wrote:... rancor?

I think I hit one of your guys a few hours ago.. Coach? Ask him share the replay if he's still got it. He had mostly L7 turrets, to be fair - but I've been getting 80%+ on maxed people, along with a few hundies.. Just avoid bases with too many unbaitable sonics. It works, and I think it'd probably work for Rebs too.
Sith-Society

Shelendil
Admiral

Post#44 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Moadib wrote:the ones you all are all talking about top bases with deep buried barracks and factories of top imperial squads with activated gun buffs and walls while keeping heat sinks on guns on it's preety much skip ,skip skip as those players have sniper + med +traped mhc inside base of high lvl alreadyand we just cant reach those barracks or factories with any combo for now as 120 uc in transports now seems to low for all those units spawning so sc is a must on such bases

i have no solution for now for top lvl 10 bases as success from what i see in replays of top rebs is dropp full airshow sc ,your dekas must be lvl 50 also and kessen must not miss SC and that's all for barely 1 star win ,once those guard things get even higher it will be even harder and merely impossible if nothing changes to benefit the attacker

No solution for top bases, and that's all I see in matchmaking. No dev bases. No mid-tier bases to hit.
ShadyRebels24
You know you wanna be shady ;)

FkOff
Commodore

Post#45 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:33 pm

Young L9 rebel w/ ~10k medals. I haven't really been picking bases based on whether or not I can win, but based on getting experience sniping with kessen. If the reward (resources) doesn't match the risk or anticipated air/SC support I just skip. If it is a crazy hard base I'll still take a crack for 500k resources or 20k contra

Loadout:
4x Trash cans
9x heavies
6x Rebel Soldier
2x TX
1x Bantha
1x Vanguard
2x Lugga
Kessen

SC: Jugg plus anything else my squad feels like giving
Air: All fangs

Strategy: (every planet but hoth)
Varies base by base. I prioritize barracks over factory, generally I can just drop 1-2 fangs and the mhc are neutralized, but often I can just ignore them unless my force is really beat up by the time mhcs are in range. Kessen is only L4 and I've just started using him in pvp so I am starting an attack based around the strategy of sniping the squad center and killing the deko asap, and then getting down the barracks.
I lead with vanguard if the area I am deploying kessen looks suspect, otherwise I deploy immediately after sniping sc and before dropping heavies.

If the barracks are clustered near where I am sniping from, I'll snipe the SC (using 2x luggas) and drop the majority (but not all) of my heavies with all med droids. Depending on what is coming at me, I may drop a 1-2 TX as well. Then, the other TX or both TX with remaining heavies are deployed based on where I need them. Attacking this kind of layout I generally don't need to drop the flag SC, but if I do it is so the jugg can take down a shield to get @ trapped mhcs or turrets that will mess me up, so I deploy TXs and remaining heavies with that. Otherwise, the get deployed without the SC. I deploy rebel soldiers/deka/deko as needed to clean up or support either attack force.

If the barracks are spread out but not buried in the center under shields, and a deka/deko is up, I will deploy the bantha as far from where I will be sniping with kessen as possible. The bantha is slow and costs very little UC; its purpose here is to get the forces far enough away so that I can successfully snipe the SC and mount an attack. I snipe with kessen, and then focus on getting the barracks down. Deploy 1 heavy (if necessary along with 1-2 rebel soldiers) to each barracks to take it out whenever possible based on space and shields going down. If the shield is down, 1 heavy with 2 rebs will drop a barracks before turret fire rekts them. If kessen hasnt died yet I will consider dropping a heavy force like in the previous paragraph. Sometimes I will fang out the first wave by dropping a unit to take the heat so they cluster enough that 1-2 fangs drops the entire first wave. Other times I'll drop heavies with medics right on them (as close to snipers as possible) to cut them down and proceed to the base. The main objective is to get a force that can make it to and destroy the HQ asap now that barracks (or majority of them)/SC/Deko has been neutralized.

If the barracks are buried in the center under shields, the strategy is similar to the previous paragraph, but I can't just drop 1 heavy to take out each. Instead, after the bantha lure and SC snipe, I am picking the best 2 spots that I can to get to the barracks. Sometimes it helps to slow roll it, and not deploy my second attack with SC until the first has failed. This way, the reserve forces have to make their way back, and I may be able to fang them out or at least scratch out 1 star before they reach the second force. Other times, it makes sense to deploy the 2 forces concurrently, so the reserves split and you don't have 4 snipers and 4 med droids acting together. Practice and reading base layouts helps.

Since I'm a novice with kessen if a deka isn't up I usually skip the base if the barracks are in tough spots, as sniping SC with the reserves coming out is still difficult for me. Sometimes you have to clear buildings out before takeing the shot, and if that is the case the bantha bait will be used to buy time.

Other than when I'm resource farming, the goal is to take down the HQ. If I can get 2 stars, thats a successful attack in my book. I don't attack with reservations about using air or dropping the flag; if I have it, I use it. If I don't, I will be much more picky about base selection (looking for barracks that I can reach and take down). Kessen is a solid hero and can hold his own even @ L4. I haven't had any consistent success with any other heros, even leia with her babymaking skin.

I'm leveling AtTe, and may try rolling with that once it is at a respectable level. I'm not sure at L9 it is worth sacrificing heavies/a med droid for its benefit, but I'll try it out.

Hope this is helpful for some people, as I'm having reasonable success. I don't always need to drop SC, but generally use 1-4 fangs. I don't crystal air, occasionally I'll take 1 fang from HQ if I'm completely empty and pick the best base I can. At my level/medals, I face mostly young to mid L10s, but not with max dekas/dekos.
Squad: TeamGibson
In-game Commander Name: FuzzyBunnies (previously FkOff but Disney had a change of heart on that one)

Defenders
Commodore

Post#46 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:21 pm

This is what I learned from the player from PartyLikePorkins, Regulus Medship+Rancor=3 stars
ActiveDonatorYMW PERK:35
HQ9 x2 Faction:Rebel
Windows Survivor

Centaur
Commander

Post#47 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:34 am

Do you mean Rage Rancor, specifically? Or are you doing this with regular Rancors?
The Force! Do you speak it!!!

Euph
Major General

Post#48 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:41 pm

Centaur wrote:Do you mean Rage Rancor, specifically? Or are you doing this with regular Rancors?

Yes, Rage Rancor. Plus medships, plus a swarm of storms/regs and a couple of infiltrators.

I'm sure people scoff and say, "but rancors are trash!" and yeah, generally speaking they are. But a couple of them have certain things they're good at. The Rage tanks huge amounts of damage, does wide AoE damage, and medships heal them fast, because they're percentage-based. It kills GR troops and the base at the same time. Most SCs* are helpless against it, though I tend to bait them out and nuke em with a Striker to be sure.

It doesn't work on every base, obviously.. nothing does. But if you play around with it you'll learn what bases it works against.. and it works really well against them. Guard Reserve becomes a joke, even on maxed out bases.

One caveat (and it is important, admittedly) is that since I'm not a Reb I can't say how effective it is vs Imps. While low level GR snipers aren't going to be doing high damage to a Rage, their range will keep them alive longer. And rapids retargeting may give you a headache with the rest of your army/hero. So, adjust load-out accordingly.

It's not an ideal solution.. it's reasonably easy to counter, and if the build becomes a problem then everyone will start doing so. It only works for people with medships. You can't build Rages, and most people won't have big stockpiles of them. But.. it's a lot of fun once you figure it out. I can't recommend it enough, if you're able to give it a go.

*Some work pretty well. I won't say which. :P
Sith-Society

JamesDean

Post#49 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:46 am

PhoenixAZ1899 wrote:@Sigma: Yes on using heavy skins. They are all level 3 (level 10 heavies, but skins are level 3). I doubt most of the MHCs I'm seeing are level 1, but your point remains; nevertheless, the combination of the MHCs' splash damage, especially on meds (plus the MHC high health) in combination with enemy stormies (which, more often than not, are skinned) and especially snipers (which are being healed by meds) just overwhelms the heavy-med-combo.

Has anyone tried using an AT-TE for initial bait? I'm wondering if its high health and slow speed might be helpful for occupying the enemy troops. Dr. Pain, I think, used to use the ATTE as droideka-distraction; I wonder if it might do the same trick against guard reserve?

Keep the ideas coming, guys. I would love to be able to play this game again, but I guess if I have to own that I am too stupid to play, then I need to own my stupidity and hang up my cape, so to speak. But I'd sure like to take a few more swings against this over-sized Apollo before I have Mickey (not the Mouse) throw in the towel.

Hi. I have lvl9 base. Yes, I have used the AT-TEs in place of jugs together with hover tank, hailfires, rebels, heavies, wookies, medics ang vanguards. Would deploy AT-TE as close as possible coz they're slow as hell. Wasn't successful and stopped using them.

Defenders
Commodore

Post#50 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:02 am

FkOff wrote:Young L9 rebel w/ ~10k medals. I haven't really been picking bases based on whether or not I can win, but based on getting experience sniping with kessen. If the reward (resources) doesn't match the risk or anticipated air/SC support I just skip. If it is a crazy hard base I'll still take a crack for 500k resources or 20k contra

Loadout:
4x Trash cans
9x heavies
6x Rebel Soldier
2x TX
1x Bantha
1x Vanguard
2x Lugga
Kessen

SC: Jugg plus anything else my squad feels like giving
Air: All fangs

Strategy: (every planet but hoth)
Varies base by base. I prioritize barracks over factory, generally I can just drop 1-2 fangs and the mhc are neutralized, but often I can just ignore them unless my force is really beat up by the time mhcs are in range. Kessen is only L4 and I've just started using him in pvp so I am starting an attack based around the strategy of sniping the squad center and killing the deko asap, and then getting down the barracks.
I lead with vanguard if the area I am deploying kessen looks suspect, otherwise I deploy immediately after sniping sc and before dropping heavies.

If the barracks are clustered near where I am sniping from, I'll snipe the SC (using 2x luggas) and drop the majority (but not all) of my heavies with all med droids. Depending on what is coming at me, I may drop a 1-2 TX as well. Then, the other TX or both TX with remaining heavies are deployed based on where I need them. Attacking this kind of layout I generally don't need to drop the flag SC, but if I do it is so the jugg can take down a shield to get @ trapped mhcs or turrets that will mess me up, so I deploy TXs and remaining heavies with that. Otherwise, the get deployed without the SC. I deploy rebel soldiers/deka/deko as needed to clean up or support either attack force.

If the barracks are spread out but not buried in the center under shields, and a deka/deko is up, I will deploy the bantha as far from where I will be sniping with kessen as possible. The bantha is slow and costs very little UC; its purpose here is to get the forces far enough away so that I can successfully snipe the SC and mount an attack. I snipe with kessen, and then focus on getting the barracks down. Deploy 1 heavy (if necessary along with 1-2 rebel soldiers) to each barracks to take it out whenever possible based on space and shields going down. If the shield is down, 1 heavy with 2 rebs will drop a barracks before turret fire rekts them. If kessen hasnt died yet I will consider dropping a heavy force like in the previous paragraph. Sometimes I will fang out the first wave by dropping a unit to take the heat so they cluster enough that 1-2 fangs drops the entire first wave. Other times I'll drop heavies with medics right on them (as close to snipers as possible) to cut them down and proceed to the base. The main objective is to get a force that can make it to and destroy the HQ asap now that barracks (or majority of them)/SC/Deko has been neutralized.

If the barracks are buried in the center under shields, the strategy is similar to the previous paragraph, but I can't just drop 1 heavy to take out each. Instead, after the bantha lure and SC snipe, I am picking the best 2 spots that I can to get to the barracks. Sometimes it helps to slow roll it, and not deploy my second attack with SC until the first has failed. This way, the reserve forces have to make their way back, and I may be able to fang them out or at least scratch out 1 star before they reach the second force. Other times, it makes sense to deploy the 2 forces concurrently, so the reserves split and you don't have 4 snipers and 4 med droids acting together. Practice and reading base layouts helps.

Since I'm a novice with kessen if a deka isn't up I usually skip the base if the barracks are in tough spots, as sniping SC with the reserves coming out is still difficult for me. Sometimes you have to clear buildings out before takeing the shot, and if that is the case the bantha bait will be used to buy time.

Other than when I'm resource farming, the goal is to take down the HQ. If I can get 2 stars, thats a successful attack in my book. I don't attack with reservations about using air or dropping the flag; if I have it, I use it. If I don't, I will be much more picky about base selection (looking for barracks that I can reach and take down). Kessen is a solid hero and can hold his own even @ L4. I haven't had any consistent success with any other heros, even leia with her babymaking skin.

I'm leveling AtTe, and may try rolling with that once it is at a respectable level. I'm not sure at L9 it is worth sacrificing heavies/a med droid for its benefit, but I'll try it out.

Hope this is helpful for some people, as I'm having reasonable success. I don't always need to drop SC, but generally use 1-4 fangs. I don't crystal air, occasionally I'll take 1 fang from HQ if I'm completely empty and pick the best base I can. At my level/medals, I face mostly young to mid L10s, but not with max dekas/dekos.

It works! I am super surprised, remember we were arguing about others not trying new loadouts and just complaining?
ActiveDonatorYMW PERK:35
HQ9 x2 Faction:Rebel
Windows Survivor

Return to “Attacking Rivals”