Success against guard reserve bases (Rebel strategies)

Tips and Strategies for Attacking Rivals.
Sigma582
Admiral

Re: Success against guard reserve bases (Rebel strategies)

Post#11 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:26 pm

PhoenixAZ1899 wrote:In other threads, some of you have indicated a mass-heavy-med-combo backed by sharps or bikes. I've had no luck thus far with this load-out, but would love to hear some more thoughts or ideas. Keep in mind it might be helpful to share your level and approximate medal count, as bases can look different for different levels. I'm medal-capped and max 10, so the bases I see are usually the MYTH/Darkness/Dark Brigade/Deutsch crew.

Keep ideas coming, please!

EDIT: The problem I'm running into with the mass-HMC backed by sharps is that they can't do enough damage. Either the successive waves of enemy troops keep them from getting to the base itself (the heavies mow down the bad guys, but they can't get to the buildings), or the sharps/MHCs one-shot the heavies in a heartbeat. I'm open to hearing what I'm doing wrong.

Do you use armory skins for your heavies? Lvl1 MHC killing lvl10 HMC sounds unrealistic. Even tripled lvl10s had trouble with that.

Having a lot of HPs to chew through makes a lot of sense though. I guess fangs could help with that (yes, I understand that they are hard to use in every battle en masse).
New home of former Windows IMPERIALS® squad. PM me to join us on Android server.
-
Layout Manager
http://www.swcommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19986
-
Defense Tracker
http://www.swcommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20403

PhoenixAZ1899
Admiral

Post#12 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:46 pm

@Sigma: Yes on using heavy skins. They are all level 3 (level 10 heavies, but skins are level 3). I doubt most of the MHCs I'm seeing are level 1, but your point remains; nevertheless, the combination of the MHCs' splash damage, especially on meds (plus the MHC high health) in combination with enemy stormies (which, more often than not, are skinned) and especially snipers (which are being healed by meds) just overwhelms the heavy-med-combo.

Has anyone tried using an AT-TE for initial bait? I'm wondering if its high health and slow speed might be helpful for occupying the enemy troops. Dr. Pain, I think, used to use the ATTE as droideka-distraction; I wonder if it might do the same trick against guard reserve?

Keep the ideas coming, guys. I would love to be able to play this game again, but I guess if I have to own that I am too stupid to play, then I need to own my stupidity and hang up my cape, so to speak. But I'd sure like to take a few more swings against this over-sized Apollo before I have Mickey (not the Mouse) throw in the towel.
Chasin' after my fortune & glory
148,300 medals. Max 10 Base. Free to play (use air and SC only in emergencies). Not bragging: these stats tell you what I am seeing at my level. Your mileage will vary.

Jrrradytorumble
Captain

Post#13 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:46 pm

I forgot which planet i was on but the atte bait dint work very well. The crabs killed it with one shot
Member of Samurai Hunters squad
We drink Sake when warring
We are level 50 war squad, and always accepting new samurai to fight the soulless empires:)

JDD
Major General

Post#14 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:13 am

My loadout is Luke, 21 grunts, 7 Heavies, 5 meds, 4 TXs, 1 Vanguard.

Deploy 5 grunts on the opposite side of where I intend to attack & ambush the 1st wave of reserve units with 7 grunts. If the barracks & factories are outside the shields, then the balance 9 grunts will be used to take 'em out, 1-2 per building depending on what comes out of 'em.

Main force Luke, 7 heavies, 5 medics & 4 TXs will then take on the whole darn Imp turrets, SC & dekas. 1 Vanguard will run around like a drunk.

Victory loss ratio is 8:2 averaging at 55% per battle.

I'm Viper of squad ImpKillers'_Den, recently got back my half-baked lvl 10 base with lvl 9 troops. Armoury buffs/skins for these troops @ lvl 5

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#15 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:53 am

@Phoenix

Check out Moadib's replays in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20902&p=54829#p54829

They are worth a look. The middle replay deals with an Imp base with the sniper-med buff on.
HQ 10 - 15K medals - Kenobi's Command - L 50 Squad - Max perks - 3 Squad Wars a week

Stop by for Wars, perks and rep points. We're maxed out.

"You must do what you think is right, of course" (We're the good guys)

lma
Captain

Post#16 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:56 am

obiWan, if only Phoenix sees these type of bases... I'm guessing he doesn't, as he has more medals than me and higher base score than me... even I dont see these bases.. the bases we typically see are fully maxed....turrets walls etc... well designed relatively speaking (those in Moadib's replay are all 'badly' designed bases- no offense intended, badly is used as a relative terms - those 3 bases all had glaring weaknesses all over)... the bases we get are the likes of brigade, DR, Web, Deutsch etc... they know their stuff as well as having high lv buffs.... have a look at someone like gabe at brigade, really well thought out base (the last time I looked).. that's what's making this update so tough for the elite rebels, all the right tools to blunt our attacks, we have to throw the entire airship load, sacrifice big dekas, use sc everytime, and bit of luck to get a win.. but margin for error is very small.. a small error, then you plant badly...

rRr
Admiral

Post#17 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:48 am

You have to counter them, not outnumber ;) remember, they are many, but low level!

If you will try to outnumber them you are doomed, because just shooting and reaiming at each one takes too long. Its like trying to kill ants with pin.
If you try to lure them, soon there will be more defenders than attackers and you are doomed.

I am not going to tell you exact solution, but AoE is the key here. You need strong and wide AoE that will be killing those insects as side effect of wrecking havoc to enemy base.
Empire HQ X, 30 000+ medals, contrabant addict.
Proud officer of Sith-Society
we have currently 2 open slots,
take your chance to be in same squad as "UCL Tracker" chat family founder
;)
LINE: rrr-firstlorder

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#18 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:26 am

@Ima, I know Phoenix is a maxed out 10, with a maxed out medal count. But I think successful replays can still be useful.

I'm also interested in rRr's idea. May do some experimenting after work.
HQ 10 - 15K medals - Kenobi's Command - L 50 Squad - Max perks - 3 Squad Wars a week

PhoenixAZ1899
Admiral

Post#19 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:48 am

Ima is correct. Moadib's replays are helpful, but I'd love to find a base as badly designed as those. Perhaps Mastermike can post some replays of his success against max 10s with buried barracks and high-level dekas? That's not sarcasm.

I can handle the first wave of guard reserve, even snipers, easily enough. But when that second wave spawns about the thirty-second-in mark, it's all over.

Rrr is probably referring either to hails or to TXs. I don't think we have anything else that does splash damage. Unfortunately, hails still die at the first spout of even an unskinned mortar, and snipers will decimate them, too. As for TXs, I don't have them unlocked. Thanks for the hints, though, rRr.

Thank you guys for offering help. Keep throwing ideas. Eventually, something has to stick, right?

Like I said, I can pretty much handle anything now except for the deeply-buried barracks with lots of snipers (and I can handle the first wave, but can't destroy the barracks in time to prevent the second. By then, the snipers don't even need to go anywhere; they just spawn and waste my heavies/rebs, which, by then, are in range and working on turrets/buildings). Unfortunately, deeply buried barracks are all I see.
Chasin' after my fortune & glory
148,300 medals. Max 10 Base. Free to play (use air and SC only in emergencies). Not bragging: these stats tell you what I am seeing at my level. Your mileage will vary.

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#20 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:58 pm

@ Phoenix

I took up Mastermike on his offer of advice on LINE. It took a LOT of prompting to get an actual answer about his claims on a guard reserve strategy on sniper-med buffed bases. Most of his messages were complaints that every should keep on trying to attack, and claims about how wonderful he and his squads were, and how everything would be easy if I joined his squads.

Eventually when pressed for a strategy, he said to use x-wings to take out barracks and fangs for the spawned troops. He also said to use SC in every attack.

His base is HQ9, so he doesn't play at your level. When I pointed out that the number of starships he was planning on using would take more than 2 hours to cook, he didn't understand what I was on about until I broke it down for him.

To be fair, English is clearly not his first language. From engaging with him on LINE I'm not sure he's an adult either. I'm not saying that to belittle him. I think we should allow him some latitude. We were all young once.

Return to “Attacking Rivals”