New player retention: What should be done?

Please post any suggestions that could make the game more enjoyable for everyone. Feel free to also encourage Disney with praise of things you like.
ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

New player retention: What should be done?

Post#1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:16 am

As can be seen from the KSOD All Player Stats thread, the numbers of Commanders is falling. The significant influx after Episode 8 did not stay.

What should be done? Here are my suggestions:

1) Dev interaction with the player base, providing us with real information and data would be a great help.

I also play Galaxy of Heroes, and they do interact with their player base on the official forum, and high-profile 'Game Changer' players. It clearly works for them. Quite simply, we can help more if there's a meaningful dialogue.

2) Reduce upgrade times for the lower levels (for buildings and research training). The jump in upgrade times from HQ4 to HQ 5 is steep, from 1 day, to 4 days. Whilst that's nothing compared to the current times for HQ 10 - 2 weeks, it doesn't encourage new players to continue playing when it's so hard to progress. Plus there are now so many units that need frags to upgrade. It's an impossibly steep curve for new entrants to the game, with the current upgrade times.

3) Call a halt to new squad creation. Players in active squads stay and play for longer. Once players join squads, they are often loath to leave for fear of the unknown, and familiarity with their status quo. There are a lot of squad vacancies out there.

4) Make crystals easier to obtain in game. Selling crystals is clearly the principle revenue stream for the game, but people will only buy them after they have got used to spending them. 500 crystals for the first extra droid is a mountain to climb. It means that soon after people start playing, they stop using crystals as they need to save them all for months to collect enough for their first extra droid. Then of course, it's 1000 for the 4th droid. Quite simply, they are too scarce a resource for people to use very often. People get used to waiting instead.

and lastly (although it's not really a newbie issue until they reach level 6 and unlock the armoury)
5) Adjust the armoury buffs - equalise the buffs for each faction and nerf it so that they max at a 30% boost for level 10. Make non-jet load outs viable once more. Or put another way, keep the game playable for those without armoury buffs, or with low level (1 or 2) armoury buffs. That's going to be the vast majority of your players.

HQ 10 Kenobi's Command - L 50 Squad - Max perks - 3 Squad Wars a week

Stop by for Wars, perks and rep points. We're maxed out.

DarkRebel
Admiral

Re: New player retention: What should be done?

Post#2 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:48 am

Reduce armory buff percentage needs to be done together with eliminating or reducing GR troops. Now, if buff is reduced, then conflict rewards and frag/research upgrade requirement also need to be adjusted. Otherwise, no one would care to compete in conflicts in which you need to finish 5 UCs to gain 3 percentage buff advantage. Personally, I found that the root issue is with match making not taking armory advantage into the equation. An easier alternative is to have a non-armory planet.

Bad match making kills the game for lower level players. Close match making loop holes (not match attack strength with defense capability, and too much emphasis on medal count) to discourage sandbaggers. When I started playing this game, I got pissed when my L5 base was attacked by ... guess what, L6 players with more troops than me. I wouldn’t put up with being attacked by L9/10.

DeathStriker

Post#3 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:14 am

ObiWanKenobi2016 wrote:As can be seen from the KSOD All Player Stats thread, the numbers of Commanders is falling. The significant influx after Episode 8 did not stay.

What should be done? Here are my suggestions:

1) Dev interaction with the player base, ...

+1 I agree. One of the nice things when we had Game Developers posting on the same Forum as Players is that on those occasions a Game Update / Client Release causes a Major Issue it was nice to see some immediate feedback from those whom developed the game informing players that a fix was on the way. Often this lead to quicker resolutions of "issues" the using then current Disney Mobile Support Method.

ObiWanKenobi2016 wrote:2) Reduce upgrade times for the lower levels (for buildings and research training).

+1 I agree. I look at the current SWC as a game with 2 Parts (it does have 2 Chapters - 1 for HQ 1 to HQ 4 and 1 for that begins with HQ 5 with the unlock of the Planetary Command). HOWEVER, I also look at HQ 5 (and lower) as one part and HQ 6+ as another part since the Armory is a Major Change Factor.

I would do one of two things:

1. Keep current Structure Upgrade Times but have the Armory Unlock at Level 5 (which would allow Armory to be Upgrade to Level 7 at HQ 10 and unlock one more Equipment Slot) - OR;
  2. Make Structure Upgrade Times for HQ 1 to HQ 5 be 1 day or less and starting at HQ 6 bump them to 2 days+.
ObiWanKenobi2016 wrote:3) Call a halt to new squad creation.

-1 I dont agree. While the idea is to get New Players to join existing Squads you have "issues" like existing Squads nearly full of Players but most of those are "inactive" to existing Squad Families wanting to create another Feeder Squad. You also have to compete with with the desire of Players regardless of experience to be the "boss" of their own Squad.

ObiWanKenobi2016 wrote:4) Make crystals easier to obtain in game.

+1 Agree. After you complete most of the Tatooine Chapter Missions you are left to random Junk / Rocks / Debris / etc., appearances to "mine" for 0 to 3 possible Crystals, along with possible Crystals found in Crates. I would like to see a increase in the random Junk / Rocks / Debris / etc., appearances along with making it possible to get at least 1 Crystal from each and increase the maximum to 10 Crystals.

ALSO, perhaps adding Chapter Missions on the "other" Planets where Players could earn Crystals would also be good for the game by providing incentives and reasons for Players to upgrade their Planetary Command.

ObiWanKenobi2016 wrote:5) Adjust the armoury buffs...

+0 Maybe Agree. The "popularity" of the Armory is the current Buffs, but that said, I agree that a "Buff Balance" might be in order. Reducing everything to 30% might sound good, but in practice might not be much help (especially in the Upper Levels HQ 8+) thereby making the use of the Armory moot.

More analysis and discussion of this "suggestion" is warranted.

Great Topic... :D

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#4 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:55 am

DeathStriker wrote:
ObiWanKenobi2016 wrote:3) Call a halt to new squad creation.

-1 I dont agree. While the idea is to get New Players to join existing Squads you have "issues" like existing Squads nearly full of Players but most of those are "inactive" to existing Squad Families wanting to create another Feeder Squad. You also have to compete with with the desire of Players regardless of experience to be the "boss" of their own Squad.

I know what you mean. It's just an idea to try to prevent people joining and then staying in near dead squads with no scope for assistance form more experienced players. There may well be other solutions.

@ Dark Rebel
Matching attacking capability to defence capability sounds great to me. Certainly taking Armoury buffs into account would be a major step forward, although I wonder if our diminished numbers would mean that high-end commanders would have a v small matchmaking pool?

HQ 10 Kenobi's Command - L 50 Squad - Max perks - 3 Squad Wars a week

Stop by for Wars, perks and rep points. We're maxed out.

mkenobi
Admiral

Post#5 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:37 am

Good suggestions as always, but no, Devs are not very keen on making the game more satisfying to players, but to provide more ways to get money to Disney through the use of crystals (increasingly sparse to get just by playing the game) while Disney does not decide the future of its line of games.

Honestly, I believe SWC is on its way. It's a 4-year-old game, aged and de-characterized from what it was in the beginning. It's only a matter of time for Disney to close the game as soon as they have a more profitable game where you are forced to pay to win, following the gaming rule of the game market today. But here we go:

1)Devs never had an interest in interacting with the players, explaining anything or making up for problems in the game, maybe once or twice when they apologized for the terrible matchmaking and the stupidity of excess buff for Armory troops, and what they gave was a misery in crystals...

2)Reduce researching time and training/building time would be one of the best things to do to encourage players to keep upgrading their stuff, but no, is a way to force players to use crystals, specially if they want to reload starships for attack again in Squad Wars while they have the advantage of Yavin and Takodana.

3)They need to give better rewards for Squad Wars and better ways to improve Squads to keep members active and playing to help the Squad and not only themselves. I left my Imperial Squad and start search for a quiet squad to join and what I found were lots of empty squads with high level rank, most seems abandoned by their own leaders and officers.

4)I remember in the past of playing a conflict where the reward was crystals, why don't give crystals in Squad Wars rewards or conflict prizes? Oh, yes, they want you buying crystals, not earning crystals... This week I reached the 2k crystals to buy my 5th Worker Droid for my Rebel Level 9 Base. It took me ONLY 1 year 5 months playing with this acc to finally have 5 droids...

5)The only way players without Armory buffs can play the game is attacking Dev bases, but build more Dev bases for Rebel and Imperial players is not a solution for the game while it will make players with Armory buff to attack Dev bases for easy points in conflicts. I played the last conflict with my Imperial acc only attacking Dev bases on Yavin (640 gears with no Armory or SC) and skipping real player bases (less than 560 gears, with GR and SC troops)...

The only solution is reduce the Armory buff. Or at least, make Armory being taken in count for matchmaking in PvP like base strenght is, creating some kind of Armory score for defense/attack that will lead you to attack and defend from players with similar Armory score. It seems complicated, but it's easy if Devs want to do that, but again they don't care. They prefered wide out the matchmaking as it was on Windows, and now levels 9 and 10 are attacking baby seals level 6 for easy EP in Events and easy gears in conflicts... Good choice, Devs!

I still play the game because I love Star Wars, and SWC is the only SW game I play. Playing with both factions and multiple acc make the game less boring for me while I can drop an acc for a while, and play with another.
Leader of AndroidsDream Squad on Windows. Empire Level 10, 45k medals, Rank 16.
Level 9 Imperial on vacation!
Level 9/8/7 Rebel player in "Solo's_Band" Level 50 Squad (Join us and war everyday!)

Plagueis
Grand Admiral

Post#6 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:14 am

A reduction of the armor buff would probably provide the greatest benefit as it would allow new players to be somewhat competetive along with making more units viable again. I don’t believe reducing the GR spawn rate would be necessary simply due to the fact that those really effective GR units are often so due to additional armory skins being used such as rodians, desert troopers, cold mhcs, tauntauns, etc. Take those down a bunch of notches and they’ll be far less scary, especially against anti-infantry and vehicle units like bikes and skiffs (good rebel GR now??!!?? lol) that instantly become much better if everything else loses a ton of damage and health.

Noahjedi77
Commodore

Post#7 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:18 am

I think it would be nice if they added more shops. In galaxy of heroes, and force arena, you can use currencies that are easy to earn in the game to purchase items. I think it would be nice to be able to purchase unit samples or maybe even frags with credits, alloy or cookies. I dont grind much nymore because i can fund my upgrades through sw, but if i could do something with extra currency i would attack more. This may also help encourage new players. If a new player was able to purchase some high lv "cool" unit, they may get excited and work to lv up to have that unit. It could also help shorten cook times to use samples. Cook time is an annoyance to me. I dont want to wait 10 mins to attack. This is a mobile game, which usually means you play it when you have some spare time or nothing to do. If you have an hour to game, its prob more entertaining to play a console or pc game.
-my opinion

Member of:ElvenRebels
HQ:10
Faction:Rebel
:)

AeroSith
Captain

Post#8 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:41 am

Research and cook times are my biggest issues, along with chasing frags, I do love the armory but I wish it would expand the amount units you can buff.
We have bacon and Rodian snipers!
And we also hate sand!

TNT
Major General

Post#9 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:49 am

Cooktimes are bad, but are sometimes even worse in other games. The Armory only comes into play starting at HQ6 (I think?) So I don't think the armory impacts the newer players that much. (though unlocking it and seeing you need 1500frags to max out a single 1 also can't be good for retention)
That is until you're a lvl6 and you're matched with an older lvl6 with much more equipment which you can't even scratch.

For newbies they also need to fix matchmaking.
Rebels are pounding beginning imperial players on Tatooine. This can't be good for player retention.
My first suggestion. Remove Hoth (it's a broken mess anyway) and remove a green planet. Probably Dandoran. (Takodana is more recent and Yavin more prominent in media)
The old event units aren't married to the planets anymore and removing 2 planets will force the playerbase to consolidate to the other 4 planets which in turn will improve matchmaking.

Even better would be if they would fix the root of the problem. Why are imperials hiding on green and why are rebels hiding on desert?
I can answer for the rebels and make a guess as to the imperials. But it will probably boil down to "Fix the massive Armory and Guard Reserve imbalance."
If rebels could actually defend on green we'd be much more likely to go there leaving tat for the beginning players.
If attacking didn't take 10 minutes baking time and wasn't a one size fits all solution (ie actually fun to attack) Imperials would be more likely to leave the green planets.

The stupid thing is, I remember back when the max boost was 30%. I figured that I wouldn't bother with the upgrade for a long time, because who cares about getting a measly 2% extra after 5 days of research? So from that point of view I understand why they did the extra boost. But it's killing (killed) the game.
Join the Rebel3Squad.
Actually we joined up with the OuterRimRioters. Join us and reminiscine about the good old days when the game was playable.

carlos413
Commodore

Post#10 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:35 am

I dont think they care much. If they did why is disney developing another strategy game that would compete with this one. They team up with EA games to make it.
Sypress Officer HQ Lvl 10, 39k medals.
Yodas Padawans is recruiting Open to all
Line ID sypress2

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”