Let's fix: the chat lag

Voice your bugs/glitches encounters or workarounds you find. While this forum is unofficial, we welcome Disney developers to stop by to help.
RebelYell
Admiral

Re: Let's fix: the chat lag

Post#31 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:42 am

@rRr,
thanks for the support update ;-)

I just checked the game to verify the "chat-problem".

Currently the game loads chat (donation) messages back to January the 13th. So these few hours are actually 72h.

Still, the support mail is partly correct. Every other chat message except the donation messages is only delivered a few hours back.

I'd like to explain what these "donation messages" actually are because are not directly displayed in the chat. Actually, you send one of these messages each time when you send a donation. If you send 4 units one by one (because your transports are nearly full) then this will result in four messages.

These donation messages are used for at least two purposes:
  1. Show the Fill status of a request:
    If the related request chat msg is still shown then the donation message will add the units ucs to the progress bar.
  2. Update objectives:
    If you've receive/donate objectives then the game will update the values with the messages since the last time you were online.

There were 3 day objectives. So this is why they probably made the 3-day backlogs. But:
#1 It's kind of your own fault when you don't login each day. Let older donatations just get lost and not accounted IMHO. (except for very low traffic squads where the 50 messages fit within multiple days).
#2 Why not truncate the 3 days backlog once they have been processed and taken into account?

On a "normal" activity 30 players squad like us there are about 1300-1400 donation msgs in 3 days. If your squad has less activity then your lag would be considerably lower. Same if your CPU is faster (like on emulators).

@Fraidy,
No. As far as I know, Proxies shouldn't have much impact on the chat lag. 1400 messages fit (gz-compressed) into around 60-70kilobytes. This is not much and should not be much impacted by slow speed. Also the (open) chat window is only updated (roughly) each 5 seconds. So a laggy connection (=slow ping) won't make that much worse except you're playing on the moon or farther out.
ImageWe're recruiting! (Rebels/Android/iOS). Just PM me here/LINE:lleyleber or request in game with a meaningful text. If you want to take part in wars, lv7+ is useful.

rRr
Admiral

Post#32 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:39 pm

RebellYell. I think the chat (donations) is also on server side. I have noticed that my client has troubles with loading dobations at about 20:00 CET (central europe time).

During rest of day its loaded smoothly, but at 20:00 the messages get loaded but donations not, often it takes more than 10 minutes to load donations for me. And I have brand new Samsung Galaxy S7 edge since Christmas so it shouldnt be performance problem on my side..
Empire HQ X, 30 000+ medals, contrabant addict.
Proud officer of Sith-Society
we have currently 2 open slots,
take your chance to be in same squad as "UCL Tracker" chat family founder
;)
LINE: rrr-firstlorder

GOZER
Commodore

Post#33 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:46 am

Things has got worse at the moment. Chat lag apart, now is impossible to recognize free troops request from the closed one!!
Don't try to refresh killing the app, things get further worse!!
GOZER the destructor - Proud member of Italia-Avengers
We annihilate rebels all over the galaxy under command of Gen. Unknow
:twisted: "Il dolore si combatte con il dolore" :twisted:

Dealer
Commander

Post#34 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:55 am

Same here , and all my squadmates complain about that chatline is getting worse today

rRr
Admiral

Post#35 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:26 am

BTW TebelYell, I guess you also work as some sort of software developer.

From my job I know that server side lag can be caused by slow clients. But without acces to server we cant be sure :)
;)

RebelYell
Admiral

Post#36 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:02 am

rRr, that was the Reason why I had a closer look at the app and the communication with the server.

There are two servers. One for the chat text messages and one for all the other messages (requests, donations, war updates, squad updates etc...)

On game startup, the client gets messages from both servers. Sometimes one server fails (various reasons are possible) and you only get one half. (i.e. only chat messages but no requests).

During the game the app then only receives chat updates (from both servers). Every 30s when the chat window is closed and every 5s when it is open. These updates are added to the already received list.

So when you open the chat window, the messages are already in the app. But (as I understood) then the app processes the whole list (if building moved, review seen or returned from an attack).

The game keeps only the last 50 (or so) from most messages. So this is not a problem.

But there's one exception: Donation Messages. These are not truncated or removed (except on the server after 3 days). They pile up and usually end up well above 1000 messages.

So there are two factors which are responsible for the chat lag:

#1: The donation activity of your squad during the last 3 days.
(or since your squad join when it was less than 3 days ago)

#2: The processing performance of your device.

There may be times when a slow server adds up to this delay. But the number of messages alone suffices to cause the delay. The message processing before opening the chat window is not a simple loop but looks complex and is therefore most certainly a "costly" process.
ImageWe're recruiting! (Rebels/Android/iOS). Just PM me here/LINE:lleyleber or request in game with a meaningful text. If you want to take part in wars, lv7+ is useful.

rRr
Admiral

Post#37 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:56 am

My point was, that I am often experiencing it in same (peak) times. So it might be (sometimes) also about server performance.
;)

BertO
Major General

Post#38 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:12 pm

rRr wrote:My point was, that I am often experiencing it in same (peak) times. So it might be (sometimes) also about server performance.

Is it horrible for everyone right now? Was great for the last couple of weeks (approx 30 seconds for me) and now failing to load requests half the time or is 60 seconds+ when it does work.
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Live long and prosper.

BLUEBlade
Squadron Leader

Post#39 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:08 pm

I sent a support ticket in about this chat issue and lag. I can't play the game at all. When I start my game (whether on my phone, tablet or PC using Facebook game room) it takes about 10 minutes to load up. As soon as the game is loaded, it shuts down due to inactivity. I can't participate in wars, I can't chat with my friends, I can't do anything but load and reload the game over and over.

Rebel Yell knows the trouble i have first hand. I am a member of his squad and I can seldom play anymore. I think I have connected 4 times in the last 6 months.

To Disney I say this: Fix the chat issue and loading lag.....

-or-

Be prepared to refund my money or be prepared to get sued for what I have spent supporting your game. If you choose the latter way, I will guarantee that every option of freedom of speech will be implemented when I start calling News channels and news papers about how Disney abuses the little people......

Eidolon
Commander

Post#40 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:19 am

It's not only the chat lag, there's also a lag on all member details, like conflict score all donation totals. Requires a game restart to update most of the time.
--

(-:- Eidolon -:-)

Sith'n'Slytherin - Squad Leader
Medals: 17,800+

HQ: 10 / Donated: 14,346 / Reputation: 1,089 / Base: 2,792 / Medals: 17,857 / Atk: 2,239 / Def: 333 / Joined: 2015-02-15

Return to “Bugs and Glitches (iOS/Android)”