Rules of War?

All Squad Wars related topics. Questions, comments, issues, shout outs, call outs.
Harshit
Admiral

Re: Rules of War?

Post#11 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:39 am

DesertPyramid wrote:Good suggestions. Has anyone tried starting a war and only including the lower level players and excluding the higher ones to get a better match for them?

We took a break from War after some pretty unbalanced matches. For a while we had one L10/P base and the rest were L8 and below. Just including me got us matches with opponents of 8 or more L10’s. Having someone else launch the war and exclude me got a better pairing. I don’t remember if you can start a war and exclude yourself. Not sure what we will see now we have six at L9 or above.

I could always promote an L6 base to an officer and have it start the lower level Wars. Though that base has been seeing L10 targets due to medal count, Trying to balance the squad’s needed for war, but not walk into a situation that will drive people away due to the matchmaking.

The problem with the matchmaking system is that if you take a SINGLE lvl 10 or P lvl player in the team combined with lower lvl then the system gives you sometimes full lvl 10 or P lvl enemy team because the matchmaking considers that a lvl 10 or P lvl is equal to all lvl 10s or P lvl.
Empire lvl 10 HH-Resurrection (Level 50). Proud former (Holocron Horror) top 10 Windows squad.

Rebel lvl 10 Gummybears (Level 50) Proud former top "NSW Rebels" from windows.

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#12 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:36 am

DesertPyramid wrote:Good suggestions. Has anyone tried starting a war and only including the lower level players and excluding the higher ones to get a better match for them?

Yes, I did it on one of my imperial squads once. Tired of mismatches when I put my Prestige on the war list along with a bunch of Level 5 to 8 (mine was the only Prestige) and get a squad full of 10 and 11, I decided to take my Prestige out and put only my 2nd account HQ 7 with the newbies - one of the advantages of having multiple accounts.

Well, we got on really bad, because in three attempts, we were combined with the same mini-bases squad twice, and on the third, we got another squad also full of mini-bases - those annoying bases with 2-6 turrets, 1 shield, dekas and full of Prestige units in SC, and they gang bang my newbies in the fastest and easiest way.

After that, I gave up. For 1 year I did not participate in wars as Imperial.
SWC Windows survivor.

Imperial HQ 11 & Rebel HQ 11 on vacation. Currently in "Giveandgettroops" (Level 50 Imperial Squad) and "SevenOfNine2" Level 50 Rebel Squad -- training squads, everyone is welcome!

MachineHead
Commodore

Post#13 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:48 am

But for me its not really clear why some squads gets always bad and some squads always good matches!? we also had matches to strange minibase squads like "minime" who whipe us away in 10 mins and dont give us any chance to hold an outpost longer than 30 sec....but in general we matched fair...
mySquad: closed
myAccounts: MachineHead(11), Bulldozer(10), NineInchNails(9), Ministry(9), lol(7)

lukeskywalker
Admiral

Post#14 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:11 pm

Every time I hear about bad mismatches, and I look up a squad's war record on gsow.net, they generally win more than they lose. Sometimes I get the feeling that "fair" means the squad wins every matchup. LOL

With the gsow.net matchmaking info, it's clear that Imperial bases tend to have more younger squads with low HQ and medal counts. The rebel side tends to skew with more experienced squads. We know faction imbalances do have regional differences too. I'm in both factions. Our Imperial squad falls in the Carbonite class. We actually have 3 Prestige bases, but the medal counts are low, so we don't have any issues getting fair matchups. That said, the normal wait time is upwards of 5 to 10 hours on average.

Our rebel squad has enough of a mix and falls under the Obsidian league category. We can go with a mix of level 8's through Prestige players or have a lineup with level 6's through 9, with one level 10 running the lead. The rebel squad gets a fair matchup 90% of the time with the lower level players. Medal counts under 30K. The higher level lineup usually faces a higher level lineup with 5-8 Prestige players to our 3. It's because we have 2 max level Prestige players. That really skews the adjusted base score. We keep winning, so no complaints with the matchups. The adjustments in matchmaking tend to make sense, once you look at the experience levels (medal account and corresponding wins, etc.).

I do suggest that if you want to go with a lower level lineup, make sure you don't have more than 2-3 level 10's and ideally only 1 level 10 and the rest level 9 and below. Also make sure most are in the 15K medal range or lower, with the level 10 at 30K or lower. Any outlier medal counts at the top, will alter matchmaking either a little or a lot. Look at the gsow.net war queue and click on the squad name and see which players are in the war lineup. You will get a good feel for matchmaking once you look at the underlying data. Just remember that rebels tend to get matched upward at the higher levels and down slightly at the mid levels, because of the war pool mix.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

TKTB51
Admiral

Post#15 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:05 pm

we've never had a 5 or 10 hour wait time, we get matched in under 10 seconds most of the time.

something is very strange here
Player: TK-TB51 (leader)
Squad: DarkLords
Level 50 with all maxed out perks
Imperial (like you didn't know that already)

Founder of MEGA - "Make the Empire Great Again".

www.darklords.info (under construction)

MachineHead
Commodore

Post#16 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:29 am

TKTB51 wrote:we've never had a 5 or 10 hour wait time, we get matched in under 10 seconds most of the time.

something is very strange here

same for me...its directly...one war i have done a stupid mistake with my fat fingers...there was no way to do new...
mySquad: closed
myAccounts: MachineHead(11), Bulldozer(10), NineInchNails(9), Ministry(9), lol(7)

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#17 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:18 am

Matchmaking for wars should not be instantaneous, it should last at least a couple of hours, which would give you time to cancel in case of a mistake such as adding a member who has been inactive for several days, or if someone mentions that he will not be available during the war.

Personally, I never liked instant matchmakings. The squad where I was, most of the time the squad got on very badly. I believe the longer it lasts, the greater the chances of finding a compatible rival. Except if it lasted almost 24 hours (!!!) as was the case in my old Imperial squad, it almost always led to mismatches. So I really don't know which is better.

Communication is key, always communicate when you are starting matchmaking and ask if anyone wants to be left out, or let them know you will be absent if you know the days your squad usually goes to war.
SWC Windows survivor.

Imperial HQ 11 & Rebel HQ 11 on vacation. Currently in "Giveandgettroops" (Level 50 Imperial Squad) and "SevenOfNine2" Level 50 Rebel Squad -- training squads, everyone is welcome!

Return to “Squad Wars Discussions”