Getting reasonable matchmaking - how to?

All Squad Wars related topics. Questions, comments, issues, shout outs, call outs.
ember
Lieutenant

Getting reasonable matchmaking - how to?

Post#1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:17 am

Let's say there is a low-level Imperial squad which is constantly get matched against high level opponents. What can be done to fix that?

To paint the picture, here is the current match.
Imperial: 1 P, 2 L10, 8 L9, 4 L7. Total base score is 31295, TrueSkill rank is 849.
Opponents: All 15 are Prestige, total base score is 47281, TrueSkill rank is 170.
The outcome is easy to predict. The fight is pointless.
And this is not exception.

Should they choose special time to call for war?
Should they not include their only Prestige player and include L7 instead?
Should they stop calling wars until they have at least several Prestiges?
Should they quit this stupid game?

Please advise.

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Re: Getting reasonable matchmaking - how to?

Post#2 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:08 am

ember wrote:Should they choose special time to call for war?
Should they not include their only Prestige player and include L7 instead?
Should they stop calling wars until they have at least several Prestiges?
Should they quit this stupid game?

Please advise.

There are several factors that influence matchmaking:

high base score for each HQ participant even at the lower levels that match with higher level bases
number of medals - not much - except for medal capped
time the matchmaking was started, and
number of squads available at the time matchmaking started

It has been said here in other posts the time, day and hour when the top squads start matchmaking - avoid these times if you are not in a top squad.

Other squads join a bunch of Prestige sandbaggings to hit squads with lower-level HQs and have an easy win.

You need at least 5 top bases to reach 45 with full attacks. I believe that having a single Prestige is suicide, it is better to take out this Prestige and leave only the HQ 10 (if you have at least 5), and try to put more HQ 8 and HQ 7 to fight for the OPs. Put 1 or 2 HQ 4 or HQ 5 to scout the top enemy bases and see what's in the SC and where are IDT/LAAT traps, and try reduce your score.

The rest is coordination and skill.

The last option it seems the most reasonable. :lol:
SWC Windows survivor.

Imperial Prestige / Rebel Prestige on vacation and trying new games.
If you are Rebel join "Solo's_Band" (war squad) or "Ewok_revenge" (training squad)

Boog
Grand Admiral

Post#3 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:18 am

The best advice I can give is to pick the best days. Check the schedule for no op wars and avoid initiating those nights. We have found that Wed-Fri-Sunday night wars give us the best range of matchups. Sometimes we draw a killer squad we have no chance against, but I'm guessing about 2/3 matchups are in our favor.

Also, starting earlier may help. Instead of initiating at 7 pm, try like 3 pm. If you get a good matchup, just wait until you have a good attack force on to go in. That has worked well for my squad.

ember
Lieutenant

Post#4 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:34 am

Also it seems that if a request for war stuck in the queue for several hours, it's better to cancel and send another request a bit later. Is that correct?

lukeskywalker
Major General

Post#5 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:57 pm

ember wrote:Also it seems that if a request for war stuck in the queue for several hours, it's better to cancel and send another request a bit later. Is that correct?

Yes, in general, the longer the war request runs the more likely you end up against an all Prestige squad that could not be matched up earlier. However, sometimes you end up with a mismatch in your favor, since your squad has been waiting for a while and you get matched up with a weaker squad. The other problem is that you lose your spot when you leave the queue and potentially lose a matchup if a similar squad jumps you and takes your spot. There's risk starting and stopping.

As long as you have 5-6 players that can 3 star Prestige bases, and your level 7's through 9's can hold outposts, you can score 45. Especially with Tako and Tat in play. Those outposts are so OP that a level 9 can often 3 star a Prestige base, and sometimes even a level 8. Especially if that Prestige base is really a level 9 or 10, that was rushed to Prestige.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

ember
Lieutenant

Post#6 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:14 pm

Thank you! Superb explanation.

TKTB51
Commodore

Post#7 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:00 pm

our most recent matchup was a lopsided slaughter.

we have a number of prestige bases, I input only a few of them, and an assortment of 7s and 8s and a few 5s.

the game matched us almost immediately to ... 14 prestige and one level 10. A rebel squad much higher ranked than our squad.

We managed a 25-38 loss, but ... I only used one attack, as there wasn't much point.

The game is busted, making it less fun to play.
Player: TK-TB51 (leader)
Squad: DarkLords
Level 50 with all maxed out perks
Imperial (like you didn't know that already)

Founder of MEGA - "Make the Empire Great Again".

www.darklords.info (under construction)

Fisherman
Commodore

Post#8 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:44 pm

TKTB51 wrote:
[...]
the game matched us almost immediately to ... 14 prestige and one level 10....
We managed a 25-38 loss, but ... I only used one attack, as there wasn't much point.

Huh? Were you one of the 5s or 7s? How many attacks did your squad leave on the table? 14 prestige bases and they didn’t 45 you and you left attacks on the table? :shock:

You guys were in the match unless I am missing something...

Harshit
Admiral

Post#9 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:49 pm

My reb squad has started a match, but we have not got any match since 7 hours. Our team consists 13 P's, 1HQ 7 and 1 HQ 9 and that HQ 9 is me. It's getting actually really longer delay for our match.
MIgrated from Windows from former squad HOLCRON HORROR. NOW shifted to android/ios in the squad HH-resurrectionand and our sister squad at HH-Insurrection. Apply now and be loyal to the EMPEROR.

Return to “Squad Wars Discussions”