[SQUAD WARS] No-OP Wars - Discussion Topic

All Squad Wars related topics. Questions, comments, issues, shout outs, call outs.
DeathStriker

[SQUAD WARS] No-OP Wars - Discussion Topic

Post#1 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:03 am

The rise of Squads doing No-OP Wars (Squad Wars where both Opponents agree to not take any Outposts / OP's) with or without additional restrictions is a direct result of Players / Squads in both Factions attempting to keep the one fairly good thing about SWC both interesting and challenging.

The purpose of this Topic is to discuss the various aspects of doing No-OP Wars, the good, the bad, the ugly.

POSSIBLE DISCUSSION POINTS/SUB-TOPICS:

• Should an "Elite Squad" clearly mis-matched with another Squad decide on their own to not take Outposts but let the "other" Squad do so?
  • Should No-OP Wars be indicated somehow in the new GSoW Squad Ranking Website?
  • What are Players Experience with No-OP Wars - pro or con.
Post any comments below...

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

RELATED TOPICS:

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

Midge
Grand Admiral

Re: [SQUAD WARS] No-OP Wars - Discussion Topic

Post#2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:25 am

Oh goodness, there is very little good that can come of this thread.

But, kudos for trying, DS!
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed

DeathStriker

Post#3 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:35 am

Midge wrote:Oh goodness, there is very little good that can come of this thread.

But, kudos for trying, DS!

Midge - Thanks.

A Forum is a place for everyone to discuss their views, both pro and con, on the various Topics posted. As with all Topics I will monitor and if needed take administrative action.

ON TOPIC:

My experience has been mostly with the "variant" called "Limited OP War" where both Squads decide to not take one or two of the OPs in play.

For example with Tatooine, Dandoran, and Takodana OPs in Play both Sqyads would decide to only use Tatooine OP and leave Dandoran / Takodana Neutral.

I have had a couple of "Tatooine Only" Wars which have added a bit of a challenge to my Squad War Experience.

I have as of yet not participated in a No-OP War but look forward to trying at some point.

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#4 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:17 am

Bad you started this new thread after I posted my comments here (closed topic).

But as squad leader since my Windows days, I always enjoyed wars where Takodana wasn't available, so I don't have to ask at each 5min for someone to recapture Takodana, or keep checking all long the day if we still have Takodana, or force everyone to attack as fast as possible before we lose the OP advantage... A Takodana war is insane and boring. When you don't give a damn for any OP, you can attack at your better time and have a great fun.

All these reasons are enough for me to also prefer wars without OPs. You don't need OP to beat most of bases at your level when you have good skill and high troops. For many times I was forced to attack without any OP because we didn't have enough members active to attack, and when you capture an OP only to see the enemy recapturing it just after, you are wasting an attack that can be essential for the victory.

The problem with no-OP war would be mismatches if they were an option in the game. But while no-OP wars are unofficial, I don't see a problem when you already have the match and know your rival. Most of great war squads use LINE or any other app, most of squad leaders use these apps, so you can contact them and deal with a no-OP war if both squads have similar strenght.

If your squad with a mix of diferent HQ levels was matched with a squad full of 10s, you can contact them and see if they agree with other things like let you guys keep one or all OPs. A strong base holding ErKit and Hoth can be a real challenging if you are attacking only with normal units.

If one day Devs introduce the option "No-OP war" in the game -- what I doubt they will do --, also the number of players in war should be changed to 10 -- this decrease would put more squads available in the war matchmaking at the same time, reducing the matchmaking time, the chances of get a mismatch, and bring more squads back to life.

In theory, any squad needs only 5 high level players with 100% of their attacks to reach 45. And more 2-3, maybe 4 players at mid level to attack Ops. A No-OP war would put all these players at HQ 6-7-8 out of the real fun.
A Windows survivor now training players and helping squads through the Galaxy!

Imperial HQ Prestige in "BombSquad18" (Level 49 squad)
Rebel HQ Prestige / HQ 8 in "Ewok_revenge" (Level 50 squad)

DeathStriker

Post#5 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:29 am

mkenobi wrote:Bad you started this new thread after I posted my comments here (closed topic).

mkenobi - One of the reasons for starting this Topic was to continue the No-OP War Discussion without it being tied to a particular Squad (as was the case with the other Topic).

ON TOPIC:

One good thing about No-OP Wars is that it is more "casual" - that is - no need to guard against Outposts being taken, just log in anytime during the 24 hour "War Period", plan your Attack, and go.

No-OP Wars are great for those whom work or have other obligations or are even perhaps in another timezone (like overseas) and can't be available when War Starts.

Continuing the conversation...

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#6 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:34 pm

Sorry, DS, I understand your reasons, and I should have said that in another way, because almost all arguments for and against No-OP wars were said in that closed thread. At the end this topic may be get empty and many would be repeating what they have written previously in the other thread.

I really would like to have an option for the No-Op wars, but this is not a viable option in the game while many squads are still paying for the terrible matchmaking system. Anyone who wants to try playing No-OP Wars must search for squads that promote them. Unfortunately, not many squad leaders run apps in parallel to the game to know about this, and not everyone read the Forum to know where they can find these squads.
A Windows survivor now training players and helping squads through the Galaxy!

Imperial HQ Prestige in "BombSquad18" (Level 49 squad)
Rebel HQ Prestige / HQ 8 in "Ewok_revenge" (Level 50 squad)

DeathStriker

Post#7 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:00 pm

mkenobi wrote:Anyone who wants to try playing No-OP Wars must search for squads that promote them. Unfortunately, not many squad leaders run apps in parallel to the game to know about this, and not everyone read the Forum to know where they can find these squads.

mkenobi - Thanks for the response.

Advertising No-OP Wars as an "option" or even a "Limited OP Wars" as an "option" is one way to increase interest and by doing so perhaps the Developers (whom might also be Players) might add it to the game as a "feature".

If anyone is in a Squad made up of Level 8+ Players and wants to try No-OP Wars and has LINE they can PM me and I can get them invited to a LINE Chat Group specifically created for No-OP War Matchmaking.

Fisherman
Captain

Post#8 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:35 pm

I have started to become involved in deliberate no ops wars and they have much going for them:
1) as pointed out, you can take your time, no need to warp your schedule around outpost ping-pong
2) virtually eliminate the 45-45 ties that occur when certain outposts are in play
3) sometimes the squads form temporary LINE chat rooms, record the attacks and share them with the other side - the good and the bad which adds to the overall enjoyment
4) sharpen your skills after the jet/jump lazy trap I fell into

The deliberate no ops seems to be limited in the number of squads so I doubt there is enough demand for the developers to add the feature.

Other things I have experienced - using modified outpost wars to try and balance bad mismatches. This involves both sides agreeing to keep one or two outposts ‘neutral’ and the weaker squad gets to the other outpost(s) to try and balance things out. This has the advantage of 1) and 2) above while keeping the war a little more interesting for both squads. I have been on both sides of this type of arrangement, and have yet to see the weaker squad overcome the stronger squad even with the advantage - but it has been really close twice. I have never seen a squad violate the agreement.

Its not for everyone... and you can’t force or expect the other side to agree to it. Its something that I have to say I do enjoy.

Return to “Squad Wars Discussions”