Squad War Matchmaking Worse Than Ever!

All Squad Wars related topics. Questions, comments, issues, shout outs, call outs.
KTOWN
Commander

Re: Squad War Matchmaking Worse Than Ever!

Post#61 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:31 pm

Centaur wrote:
KTOWN wrote:So is anyone getting even matchups? If so, I'm curious what your squad looks like. Mostly 10s? A good mix of lvl'd bases? Mine is 3 10s, then a good mix of 9s, 8s, and 7s. I just wonder if there are any squads still out there like ours doing wars anymore, or did they all give up/join forces with other 10s. Or is it mostly these high level squads with mostly high lvl 10s?

Hi KTown. We're getting more even squad war matchups. But, it has taken a lot of trial and error and I still don't think we fully understand how it's working. We consist of a couple 10s, a bunch of 9s, and a couple 8s, 7s, and 6s. What we've done has been to oberve that when our total number of medals for the squad members chosen for a war is over 100k, we are almost immediately matched-up with an all lvl10 ranked 200 or better squad. If we keep our total medal count under 100k, then matchups take a few hours or more, but, tend to be a more even match. One wrinkle we've observed to that is when we have tried to add another of our lvl 10 players. Even if we keep our total medal count under 100k, for some reason, that extra lvl 10 throws us over some threshold and we're back to fighting all lvl10 players in a squad ranked 200 or better. I'm thinking that in that case, our lvl 10 players have too many medals among themselves and that's the threshold that's being tripped. But, this is all speculation. The only thing I've been able to repeat is a consistent lineup with only two of our lvl 10s and a total medal count for all our members participating in the squad war of under 100k. I imagine this is not very helpful, but, I figured I'd attempt to answer your question. Good luck out there.

Thanks for the response!

We had basically given up on having 2 wars a week(1 during midweek and 1 on the weekend), but today we've tried leaving ALL of our level 10s out of matchmaking, and guess what? We just got matched with a squad with 9 lvl 10s....Yes against NONE on our side. FML...

Sure, they're not as crazy maxed out like some of the others we've seen, but still? Thats far from even. Guess we'll see how our guys do against them...they'll have us feeding them lvl 10 troops, but its disappointing to say the least.

It just sucks that we have to weaken ourselves so much, to get THIS kind of match? Its just not right..something needs to be done to fix this, because its unreal how uneven this seems to be for certain unlucky squads, such as ourselves.

ObiTwo
Major General

Post#62 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:09 pm

I found through extensive testing that there is a tipping point for average base score where the match making opens you up to brutal matches with lots of level 10 bases. I would guess that you went over that threshold.

As at about a month ago the tipping point was 1810 average base score for a rebel team going to war. Note this point has been slowly moving up as the field is upgrading bases, but if you stay under that score you are very likely to get reasonable opponents currently.

As a guide 1810 is a low to mid level 8 base. If you have to, throw a couple level 3s in to keep you under.
http://www.YouTube.com/ObiTwo (tips, strategies and layouts for rebels)

sgu97cab
Major General

Post#63 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:22 pm

Interesting point to note ObiTwo about the base score. Is it just base score which determines the match? I was wondering if it is medals as well. Recently a number of our regular war members have gone from 8 to 9, and also I see most members medal count has gone up a fair bit, I think due to the recent last jedi and naval conflicts.
My experience recently is exactly the same as KTOWN. We used to war twice per week. Once mid week evening, then on Sunday evening. Since the start of the year we are getting either no match for ages, or really tough mostly level 10 squads.
This was our last (mis)match:
AUS-Darth_Gump
Rank 508
Average HQ 8.8 (Total 132)
Average Medals 7152 (Total 107,281)
Average Base Score 2325 (Total 34,885)
Gummy Bears
Rank 109
Average HQ 9.8 (Total 147)
Average Medals 25184 (Total 377,764)
Average Base Score 2760 (Total 41,412)
Main Account: Bacon (level 10). LINE ID: sgu97cab
Second account: nEggs (level 8)
Squad - NewSithEmpire

ObiTwo
Major General

Post#64 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:14 am

Yep we have played around with medals and rank in our team and also squad perks, and it is only base score that is used for the match making, and only based on the 15 players you select.

Your average base score of 2325 opens you up to pretty much any match that is available. It's pot luck at that score, and is probably next cab off the rank.
http://www.YouTube.com/ObiTwo (tips, strategies and layouts for rebels)

sgu97cab
Major General

Post#65 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:45 am

Thanks Obitwo, very useful to know. I just got a new match this evening with a more closely matched squad. As you say pot luck now! Some of my squad mates always thought it was HQ level and medal counts which determines the matching or that we recently got the squad to level 50 but thanks to you we now know otherwise. Downside of course is you can't reduce your base score unless we include more low level players
Main Account: Bacon (level 10). LINE ID: sgu97cab
Second account: nEggs (level 8)
Squad - NewSithEmpire

TwoEyedNic
Commander

Post#66 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:16 pm

US: (3) 10s, (3) 9s, (1) 8, (4) 7s, (3) 6s, (1) 5.

Them: (9) 10s, (3) 9s, (2) 8s, (1) 6.

I'll look into the base score (thx for that insight) but i find it hard to believe we are anywhere close. It is unfortunate because most us feel wars is all thats left but we cant draw even a squad remotely close. We will end up being another squad of 20 some peeps who quit the game because there isnt anything left. Unless you are after the stupid horse or roomba droid........

UPDATE ON OUR AVERAGE BASE SCORE:
US: 1,923
THEM: 2,426

NOT EVEN CLOSE
Terrible Two - Leader of the ImperialPirates

Level 43

Axeman77
Commodore

Post#67 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:01 am

Matchmaking had been OK on our last few wars where we have selected 7 L10's, 3L8's, 3 L7's and 2 L6's. Oppoosing teams are mainly a mix of L10 & L9 bases but we have won them with good coordination and our low level bases are all managing to take some outposts (if they have them unlocked). We are lucky that a couple of our L10's can hold onto an uplink or 2. A couple of wars ago we matched with Han's Scoundrels. They took a 43-9 lead early on and we surprised them at the end with some very well coordinated attacks we then took a 44-43 lead. In the closing stages they were holding Tako, Hoth & Erkit and failed to get the final uplink twice on both mine and a squadmates base so we ended up with a 44-43 win. Proper nailbiter of a finish it was and the reason why Squad Wars is a good thing.

Our current war is a different story. We tried to give the low level bases a shot at it and went with 3 L10's, 3 L8's; 4 L7's; 4 L6's and 1 L4 HQ.
We got matched with BRASIL-DOS-JEDIS against 13 L10 bases (most maxxed out) & 2 L9 bases. after the first half hour of war they were 45-15 up! We will still try to get some more uplinks off them but our L7 & below have no chance against those L10 bases & not all of them have Tako or Erkit unlocked which are 2 of the outposts!! Really we are just playing this one for pride but its hard trying to bring our lower levels into the game when matched with this!!
Axeman - EPIC-SQUAD - HQ 10 - 24.1k medals
Axeman Lives - EPIC-SQUAD - HQ 8 - 7.3k medals
EPIC-SQUAD are recruiting for active new Empire members on android/ios. HQ5 & above welcome. PM me for info.

Cainamogel82
Squadron Leader

Post#68 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:49 am

We are decent, but have been paired against a top 20 squad and the most recent match has 5 level 7s and lower. Very unbalanced.
-Jedi Eric

TwoEyedNic
Commander

Post#69 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:45 pm

We just got match in 5 minutes against party like chewie. They have 13 tens and 2 nines.

We have 2 tens, 2 nines, 1 eight, and the rest lvl 7 or lower. We have zero chance. What fun! Great matchup

This issue is killing my squad, and all of our desire to play.
Terrible Two - Leader of the ImperialPirates

Level 43

mkenobi
Admiral

Post#70 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:13 pm

The problem for my Imperial and Rebel Squads is not the matchmaking. We don't have nothing to complain about the last matchmakings for the Wars.

In my Rebel Squad we were matched with good Imperial squads in our last wars - we won 24 and tie only 1 because one of our 10s didn't use his attacks... We communicate and coordinate our attacks while we have the OPs, the basic. But we try to control our base strenght... Number of medals, player rank, HQ level, nothing else matters - only base strenght.

In my Imperial Squad, most of our players have strong bases, and we try to max out our basic defenses for wars. We are matched with strong Rebel squads, but we can win most of our wars. We won 15 of our 20 last wars. We have great attackers and we communicate and coordinate our attacks. Our last war was today against Rebel Squad RusxHero. After war start, they capture Yavin, Takodana and Hoth and did 45 in 30min. We strike back and recapture the OPs and we did 45:45...

The matchmaking is a great problem, but we can fool the matchmaking, if we can control our base strenght. The biggest problem is really Takodana. If both Squads have competent attackers, if players coordenate their attacks while having Takodana, both will reach 45, and the war will end with another Tie.

And the Reward for a Tie, now is called Stalemate. But both Squads still go for the Draw, and the reward for my Rebel level 9 account in our last Draw was a miserable 50k credits, a few frags for Armory Structures and 4x frags for AT-RT.

I agree Devs need to adjust the matchmaking to mirror the strenght of the players for both squads, but they need to give a better reward for the Tie if they don't go to nerf Takodana. I keep my opinion about a Tie being unfair, if there is a Tie then both won, and both deserve the win crate.
Last edited by mkenobi on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Windows survivor now training players and helping squads through the Galaxy!

Imperial HQ10 in "BombSquad18" (Level 49 squad)
Rebel HQ10 / HQ8 in "Ewok_revenge" (Level 50 squad)

Return to “Squad Wars Discussions”