Squad war matchmaking worse than ever!

All Squad Wars related topics. Questions, comments, issues, shout outs, call outs.
Centaur
Commander

Re: Squad war matchmaking worse than ever!

Post#11 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:57 pm

We're in nearly the same state as Ktown both in terms of base levels and medals. I know it's possible to get decent matchups because we've had them in the past. Are we being served up to the top teams on purpose? It's hard not to conclude that this is by design. I did provide our data on the other thread, so, hopefully, this will be seen as the honest set of questions it is, rather than whining.
The Force! Do you speak it!!!

Pirate
Major General

Post#12 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Centaur wrote:We're in nearly the same state as Ktown both in terms of base levels and medals. I know it's possible to get decent matchups because we've had them in the past. Are we being served up to the top teams on purpose? It's hard not to conclude that this is by design. I did provide our data on the other thread, so, hopefully, this will be seen as the honest set of questions it is, rather than whining.

You're certainly not alone in being matched up with stronger squads. The problem with war MM is the same as PvP MM: once you are at the top of the food chain, the only way you can be matched is with similar strength or down. Since the pool at the top is limited, it reaches into the next lower pool to find matches when needed. Only advice I can offer is try to limit your lvl10's until you can bring enough lvl10's to hang with the tough squads. You are still probably going to get beat on by very good squads, it sucks but think of it as growing pains.
ⒹⒶⓇⓀⓈⒾⒹⒺ
Imperial Squad

Windows Survivor

KTOWN
Squadron Leader

Post#13 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Pirate wrote:
Centaur wrote:We're in nearly the same state as Ktown both in terms of base levels and medals. I know it's possible to get decent matchups because we've had them in the past. Are we being served up to the top teams on purpose? It's hard not to conclude that this is by design. I did provide our data on the other thread, so, hopefully, this will be seen as the honest set of questions it is, rather than whining.

You're certainly not alone in being matched up with stronger squads. The problem with war MM is the same as PvP MM: once you are at the top of the food chain, the only way you can be matched is with similar strength or down. Since the pool at the top is limited, it reaches into the next lower pool to find matches when needed. Only advice I can offer is try to limit your lvl10's until you can bring enough lvl10's to hang with the tough squads. You are still probably going to get beat on by very good squads, it sucks but think of it as growing pains.

Thanks for the advice, and you're probably right about the level 10 thing. The problem is, its an extremely poor way of matching squads. "Oh your squads getting stronger with 3 level 10 bases? Great! Now get matched with a squad with ALL level 10s!!!". Thats just terrible...

The really crazy thing about this is that these really uneven matchups seem to take a minute or less to be found. In the past, we'd wait sometimes up to 8 or 10 hours! Sure, that kinda sucks too, but the matchups were much more even, and we'd plan accordingly for that time frame! Start matchmaking at the absolute earliest that works for members of the squad, all the way up till the latest. If we hadn't found one by late, then we just cancel and start again the next day. That worked! This being stuck in a bull crap matchup for 48 hours, where we have no shot at winning, is the WORST.

A suggestion I would make to help improve match making is, remove the choice of being matched with your own faction! Just match these high level rebel or imp squads together! Instead of serving up lesser squads, make them kill each other off.

Boog
Major General

Post#14 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:57 pm

We just entered matchmaking. It took 50 minutes. We have 2x9, 7x8, 4x7, a level 6 and a 4. 50 minutes. We draw Havoc_rebellion, and 13 tens and 2 nines. I think it's our fourth straight war with 10+ level tens against us when we have none. Oh, and the outposts are Dando, Hoth, and Er'kit.

Pirate
Major General

Post#15 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Boog wrote:We just entered matchmaking. It took 50 minutes. We have 2x9, 7x8, 4x7, a level 6 and a 4. 50 minutes. We draw Havoc_rebellion, and 13 tens and 2 nines. I think it's our fourth straight war with 10+ level tens against us when we have none. Oh, and the outposts are Dando, Hoth, and Er'kit.

I think you guys must have pissed off the matchmaking gods or something, you've had a rough stretch. You never know, maybe they'll push a hotfix and the other team won't be able to login in.
ⒹⒶⓇⓀⓈⒾⒹⒺ
Imperial Squad

Windows Survivor

JDD
Major General

Post#16 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:24 pm

Jeez Boog, this's one of those rare occasions I feel sorry fer an Imp squad. If it's going down, then do it fighting! Wishing yer & squaddies the best of luck, have fun & MTFBW the ones who fight the hardest & smartest!

Boog
Major General

Post#17 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:35 pm

It'll be fun, no matter what.

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#18 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:48 pm

Matchmaking is a problem for both factions. And gross-mismatches are bad for the game.

I agree that the civil War option should not just be on by default, but permanently. Everyone would prefer to War against the other side, I'm sure. But when the Wars are gross-mismatches, then that's not fun at all. A series of bad matches can be very bad for morale, and when War is a key part of what many commanders are still playing this game for, that matters a lot.

In Kenobi's Command, we've had a number of 'retirements' over the last month or two, and now have a much more mixed War Party (HQ 3s through to 10s). We are a 'volunteer army', so whoever wants in, gets in. Over the last month we've had 14 Wars, and all of them were fair matches. Of the 14, 2 were civil Wars and we've just been matched in a civil War again. However, on the plus-side War is definitely fun again. We often have to wait 5-6 hours for a match, but for a fair match it's worth it. We would MUCH rather wait for a fair match, than instantly be matched with all 10s.
HQ 10 - 15K medals - Kenobi's Command - L 50 Squad - Max perks - 3 Squad Wars a week

Stop by for Wars, perks and rep points. We're maxed out.

"You must do what you think is right, of course" (We're the good guys)

JDD
Major General

Post#19 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:57 pm

Boog wrote:It'll be fun, no matter what.

:lol: Now that's the jolly good fun loving spirit I love tae see most! Too bad I gave up my Imp account, otherwise it'll be "Die, yer Rebel scums!"

Ok go give 'em Havoc fellas hell! & my bet is Boog & Co will get at least 30 ULs off Havoc's Buzzsaw ;)

KTOWN
Squadron Leader

Post#20 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:41 pm

UPDATE: I received a message from customer support, and they explained how they were aware of the issues with uneven matchups in wars, and a fix was on the way soon. Sure enough my squad has done two wars now, and the matchups are MUCH improved! The other squad has had an overall base level advantage, but its nothing like it was with so many 10s on the other side. Now its been 4 and 5 level 10s against our 3. Not bad, and very manageable.

The matchmaking process did take much longer though. About 4 and 6 hours respectively, but obviously having an even war is whats most important. Anyone else seeing improved matchups?

Return to “Squad Wars Discussions”