Squad Wars Matchmaking Takes Too Long

All Squad Wars related topics. Questions, comments, issues, shout outs, call outs.
Boog
Major General

Re: Squad Wars Matchmaking Takes Too Long

Post#11 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:23 am

I've actually liked this event. The SK DK 4$ hero is terrible, but I got it maxed out in a week, and now am just collecting Vader frags. I'm close to having enough for level nine, and will be on the way to ten. If the atst ever gets buffed, I'll upgrade Lord V from level 5. If I were a rebel, I'd be all over maxing out the repair droid, which is far, far superior at level X to the imp version.

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#12 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:49 am

Firstly, DS my friend, this was always the experience for Imps. Being able to pick the start time was a significant advantage rebels have enjoyed for years. Delays for us, in a sense, bring balance back to the Force in Squad Wars.

Secondly, your experience is not unique. In Kenobi's Command we now face this too. Due to a number of 'retirements', and senior commanders who have stopped playing for the moment (but not reached the 30 day limit), our regular War party now consists of:

5 10s
6 9s
1 7
1 6
1 5
1 4

Although none of us are maxed at our level.

For my part I regard the delays as a good thing. They seem to indicate fairer matchmaking. Our experience has been that the 'delayed start' Wars have been much fairer Wars. A few months ago, we were instantly matched against squads with 15 maxed or near-maxed 10s. I like a challenge, but having so many back to back mismatches saps morale, and discourages participation. It is clear from other threads that we were not alone in this. It is also clear that many commanders came to think there was no point in an instant match you could not win. After a while, Commanders realised there were alternatives to fighting. Unfortunately for the game, this usually means they quit Wars, and with the state of PvP being what it is, quitting Wars leads very quickly to quitting the game.

I suspect one of the reasons for the delays in 'non-max 10 matchmaking' is reduced participation in Wars from many squads at that level. Gross mismatches happened on both sides when matchmaking was looser. The squads without a lot of near maxed 10s had little to play for. The devs did improve the rewards by adding frags for the original elite units. However this isn't much of a solution. It doesn't matter what the rewards are if they are unattainable. The present position of lower participation by squads without a lot of 10s could be the game facing the consequence of those months of loose / unfair matchmaking.

However, I also see this as a new Hope for the game. Fairer matchmaking will encourage better participation from more junior squads. Now they have something to fight for. I think things will improve over time.
HQ 10 - 15K medals - Kenobi's Command - L 50 Squad - Max perks - 3 Squad Wars a week

Stop by for Wars, perks and rep points. We're maxed out.

"You must do what you think is right, of course" (We're the good guys)

Pirate
Major General

Post#13 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:54 am

ObiWanKenobi2016 wrote:For my part I regard the delays as a good thing. They seem to indicate fairer matchmaking. Our experience has been that the 'delayed start' Wars have been much fairer Wars.

Yeah, I agree. We have had really good matching recently. It also seems that the top squads are getting good matches too with all of the big dogs fighting each other.

Part of me thinks thinks that DS is just trolling us. Lots of squads would kill for 30 minute MM.
ⒹⒶⓇⓀⓈⒾⒹⒺ
Imperial Squad

Windows Survivor

DeathStriker

Post#14 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:15 am

Pirate wrote:Yeah, I agree. We have had really good matching recently. It also seems that the top squads are getting good matches too with all of the big dogs fighting each other.

Part of me thinks thinks that DS is just trolling us. Lots of squads would kill for 30 minute MM.

Pirate - sadly no :cry: Real experience... but again this may just be one of those rare times when most Squads that DS Squad could be matched with are already Matched and thus DS Squad is getting the equivalent of a Squad War CNFO...

We will be trying again soon so it remains to be seen if during a weekday we get better luck...

Death_Striker is looking for Level 1-7 Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

MobiusPrime
Commander

Post#15 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:38 am

I would hope you realize that having a game where one side matches near instantly can never provide good matchmaking. please don't see this as a problem but a solution. No squad wants to get matched in the middle of the night but each side should wait in matchmaking for a few hours if necessary to provide more even matches while maintaining a reasonable expectation of when war will start.
SithLegionXII Empire, Competitive, Active, Adult, Drama Free Squad.

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#16 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:28 am

For our current War, it took about 3 hours for us to be matched. It's a fair match. I have no complaints.
HQ 10 - 15K medals - Kenobi's Command - L 50 Squad - Max perks - 3 Squad Wars a week

Stop by for Wars, perks and rep points. We're maxed out.

"You must do what you think is right, of course" (We're the good guys)

DeathStriker

Post#17 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:01 pm

MATCHMAKING REPORT:

Death_Striker initiated / picked on Thursday at 6:00 PM EST and 3 Hours Later at 8:05 PM EST they were matched. DS Squad went on to be victorious in their First Ever Squad War! :D

Here Was The Matchup:

Death_Striker:

• HQ 10 = 6 Players
  • HQ 9 = 0 Players
  • HQ 8 = 1 Player
  • HQ 7 = 5 Players
  • HQ 6 = 2 Players
  • HQ 5 = 1 Player
Empire Squad: (name withheld to protect their embarrassment) :lol:

• HQ 10 = 4 Players
  • HQ 9 = 2 Players
  • HQ 8 = 6 Player
  • HQ 7 = 3 Players
  • HQ 6 = 0 Players
  • HQ 5 = 0 Player

Death_Striker is looking for Level 1-7 Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

FinrodFelagund
Major General

Post#18 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:14 am

I’d rather wait for a decent match than suffer a mismatch.
We used bows, then we discovered bowcasters.
The Pointy-eared folk have a couple openings

Boog
Major General

Post#19 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:16 am

I'd rather get an instant mismatch than wait an hour and a half to get a mismatch.

Swad
Major General

Post#20 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:35 pm

Matchmaking was very quick after the server issues a few weeks ago. Latest matches are taking one hour plus every time.
Mind you it is still better than the regular wait of over 24 hours just a few months back.

Also I too know of many squads that have closed or lost too many players to book war. Squads such as Donate-Active, an Imp squad since 2014. Still loads of new players signing up to play the game which is a good sign.
:lol:

Player name Ghost

Leader of: Spawn an active Imperial war squad
Entry level/assessment squad SPAWN~Rising Join us

Allied with ShadowInMe. An Imperial squad, KSOD top 100.Join us for war.

Return to “Squad Wars Discussions”