Squad Wars Matchmaking Fixed - NOT!

All Squad Wars related topics. Questions, comments, issues, shout outs, call outs.
ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Re: Squad Wars Matchmaking Fixed - NOT!

Post#41 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:53 am

I agree. You need to compare base scores, not HQ levels. We had a commander who got his HQ to 10, while his buildings and turrets were L6. His base score was less than 2,000, whereas a full 10 has a base score of around 2,900

To demonstrate a mismatch, you need to make a note of the bases in both War parties, and look them up on the SoD website to get their base scores.

In our current War, we have 2 10s, some 9s, an 8 and 2 (new) 7s. Our total base score is 33,500.

The Imps we face are all 10s (mostly maxed 10s). All of their bases have higher or much higher base scores than our 10s. Their total base score is 43,000.

Their total base score is 28% higher than ours. That is an insurmountable advantage.
HQ 10 - 15K medals - Kenobi's Command - L 50 Squad - Max perks - 3 Squad Wars a week

Stop by for Wars, perks and rep points. We're maxed out.

"You must do what you think is right, of course" (We're the good guys)

Swad
Major General

Post#42 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:27 am

I did notice on thec SOD website, a weekly timetable for elite squads to request a war. The idea was to flood the matchmaking system with top squads so they could match each other. The warning says for lesser squads to avoid those days/times. It explains a lot.
I wish I had seen that warning before.
:lol:

Player name Ghost

Leader of: Spawn an active Imperial war squad
Entry level/assessment squad SPAWN~Rising Join us

Allied with ShadowInMe. An Imperial squad, KSOD top 100.Join us for war.

FkOff
Commodore

Post#43 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:40 am

Boog wrote:
Joebobbillyray wrote:
Moadib wrote:
Personal opinion of course, but this server is way more relaxed. I haven't been attacked in over 5 days and my defense is beyond weak.

It is bizarre to shut down, and not reload the game 10 minutes later to see if you got hammered. I'm running a full on HD base now. I never would have done that on windows. I get attacked *maybe* once a day. I couldn't tell you when the last one was, though, because my defense log is empty.

I never played on windows because I'm always on the move and can't really sit in one place and play a game (but having this game on my phone is great!). Based on what I gather from the windows players who post here, I think this is due to a few differences in your server, but correct me if I'm wrong.

1) Windows really only had one active planet: tatooine. If the vast majority of players were congregated on one planet, it makes sense that you would be attacked more frequently. Ios/android is more spread out, but tat is still the most populated. Otherwise, as a rebel if you go to hoth or as an imp you go to kit it should lead you to be attacked within minutes (*usually*, depends what conflicts are going on around the planets)
2) Windows had fewer players, and the ones who stuck around despite the horrible disney support were dedicated and had significant experience. Ios/android likely has the same number, if not more, of these experienced players, but the pool of players is watered down with more casual players and more "newbs". Once you get up in medal count you may see a completely different game (I'm more causual and right under 10k medals @ L9 so can't speak to that level of play)
3) Windows had no dev bases. You either got matched vs a real opponent or you got cnfo. On ios/android, good players can choose dev bases for a quick win to get conflict points rather than having to attack "real" players.

It is shitty for windows players that they gave you such horrible support and shut your server down without much notice. However, as an ios player I an very happy about Disney helping windows players migrate over, as we get alot of talented and experienced players to fight against, and it might slightly help the faction imbalance here with an influx of rebs
Squad: TeamGibson
In-game Commander Name: FuzzyBunnies (previously FkOff but Disney had a change of heart on that one)

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#44 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:41 am

Thanks Swad. That's something we're going to try to work around.

We matched just before the 'elite matchmaking' window on Friday and got a fairer match. However, last night, we matched just after it opened. Disastrous match. We're going to try to work around those times.
HQ 10 - 15K medals - Kenobi's Command - L 50 Squad - Max perks - 3 Squad Wars a week

Swad
Major General

Post#45 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:52 am

ObiWanKenobi2016 wrote:Thanks Swad. That's something we're going to try to work around.

We matched just before the 'elite matchmaking' window on Friday and got a fairer match. However, last night, we matched just after it opened. Disastrous match. We're going to try to work around those times.

Glad you found it useful. A shame we never knew before.
:lol:

Player name Ghost

Leader of: Spawn an active Imperial war squad
Entry level/assessment squad SPAWN~Rising Join us

Allied with ShadowInMe. An Imperial squad, KSOD top 100.Join us for war.

jaybinx
Captain

Post#46 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Soo,we just matched with imperial_enclave #15 rank in squad wars...we are # 1442... 4 10s we have with 9/8/7 mix...vs their 15 mostly maxed 10s... Wtf is this?
Thought the super squad matching was on Tuesdays...

Centaur
Commander

Post#47 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:34 pm

We just got another horrendous match. Does it not occur to the Devs that if Rebel squads continue to be matched this badly to overpowering Imp squads, that they'll likely just stop participating in squad wars, leading back to long matchup times for Imperials, if there are any matchups ultimately left to be had?
The Force! Do you speak it!!!

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#48 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:57 am

Centaur wrote:We just got another horrendous match. Does it not occur to the Devs that if Rebel squads continue to be matched this badly to overpowering Imp squads, that they'll likely just stop participating in squad wars, leading back to long matchup times for Imperials, if there are any matchups ultimately left to be had?

It clearly doesn't, but it should.

What the devs have done instead is to try to encourage more squads to War with the 'Summer of Squad Wars' events. The provision of frags for Kessen etc is quite an incentive. BUT what the devs have failed to understand is that the rewards are meaningless if they are unattainable. And the widening of matchmaking parameters has made them unattainable for a lot of squads that don't have 15 10s to enter in Wars.

What is happening at the moment is that the strong squads (mostly, but not exclusively Imps) get stronger, as they quickly level up their Kessens / Tie Advanced, etc and increase their advantage in Wars, whereas the weaker squads (mostly, but not exclusively, rebels) have no reason to fight, and limited chance of getting the frags they need to improve.

I date this change to around 29th April.

Here's a link to our War History on the ranking site:
http://sod.lonegunman.ws/squad/c7609a1f ... bb6c004efb

The total base score of our War parties has been around 33-35,000 for a long time, but from 29th April we were suddenly facing War Parties with base scores of 40-43,000+

After 160+ Wars our War record speaks for itself. We know how to War. We are unfazed if the Imps we face get a long way ahead. We know how to control outposts. In a fair-ish match we can get to 45 whatever the outposts. But this does not matter if the bases your are matched against are several levels up from half of your War Party.

The repeated mismatches have also had a demoralising effect, that's bad for the squad, and the game. You can win a tight War where you are evenly matched, and everyone is happy, confidence is high, and camaraderie is strong. Then you pick the War Party for the next War, enter matchmaking, and instantly discover you are hopelessly outmatched. And in one moment, everyone is instantly deflated. After two months of this, even some of my most experienced (and able) War commanders struggle to have a reason to play for the next 48 hours.

Squad Wars was a key feature for a lot of people, particularly those that didn't have time to grind for many of the 'limited time' event unlocks we've been having every week since January. Current matchmaking is diminishing that.

And for the avoidance of doubt, gross mismatches are bad of the game whichever faction has the advantage. The game needs both sides to prosper.

mkenobi
Major General

Post#49 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:03 am

ObiWanKenobi2016 wrote:What the devs have done instead is to try to encourage more squads to War with the 'Summer of Squad Wars' events. The provision of frags for Kessen etc is quite an incentive. BUT what the devs have failed to understand is that the rewards are meaningless if they are unattainable. And the widening of matchmaking parameters has made them unattainable for a lot of squads that don't have 15 10s to enter in Wars.

What is happening at the moment is that the strong squads (mostly, but not exclusively Imps) get stronger, as they quickly level up their Kessens / Tie Advanced, etc and increase their advantage in Wars, whereas the weaker squads (mostly, but not exclusively, rebels) have no reason to fight, and limited chance of getting the frags they need to improve.

I agree with everything you said.

The matchmakings in Wars were always awful for Rebels, on Windows, on Android, wherever you be. I played with Rebels on Windows, I'm playing with Rebels on Android. Every squad I joined, my team was crushed all the time by Imp squads full of level 10s while we were a mix of level 6 to 10... Recently I joined a squad where most of players were level 9 and 10, and they got an Imp squad full of level 10s in the last war, and they disabled our 45 uplinks in less than 1h. After that war, I left the squad.

Now, I'm done with Wars as Rebel. I won't play wars anymore. I don't want to join a squad to play wars I can't win. This is not funny. And I don't need the reward if the reward is most of the time credits and what I needed was alloy to upgrade my defenses, and many times the reward is so low that does not worth the costs. The frags for the Special units was a good try to make people back to play wars, but I can let it pass.

I will keep playing wars only with my Empire account, where I'm now a level 7 and I need resources and all those frags and i'm still having some fun taking out Rebel bases 2 levels above me. But I predict soon, we will have only squad wars Imps X Imps.

I'm very satisfied with my base level 8. I don't want and I don't need to upgrade to level 9, and start the upgrades all over again if the matchmaking in PvP always gives me level 9s and 10s to attack all the time. And if I can beat most of them by 1 or 2 stars, it's fine by me, and this helps the PvP don't be so boring when you only attack players you can beat by 3 stars.
Leader of AndroidsDream Squad on Windows. Empire Level 10 Base, 45k medals, Rank 16. Current level 9 Imperial on Stormflame Squad (Join us!) / Level 8 Rebel player on Vacation.
DISNEY DEVELOPERS ATTACKED SWC PLAYERS AND DISABLED 3 UPLINKS!

Pirate
Major General

Post#50 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:14 am

enter squad war matchmaking data here: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=21054
ⒹⒶⓇⓀⓈⒾⒹⒺ
Imperial Squad

Windows Survivor

Return to “Squad Wars Discussions”