is fighting over outposts really worth it or a waste of turns

All Squad Wars related topics. Questions, comments, issues, shout outs, call outs.
BertO
Major General

Re: is fighting over outposts really worth it or a waste of turns

Post#21 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:18 pm

CC2224 wrote:...
Do you take over outposts with a three star win. I have been told that the outpost only spawns troops if the previous attack was a three star win.

Urban myth. Dandoran spawns troops, Tatooine spawns mech. That is it. Number of stars doesn't matter.
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Live long and prosper.

Sigma582
Admiral

Post#22 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:21 pm

Poene wrote:So yes, outposts are extremely important. I like to let the enemy take Takodana/Dandoran first (which increases it to lvl 6), then I retake it. They take it back and I capture it again, raising it to lvl 9. And that's the moment lvl 7-8 players are having a lot of trouble to assault it. I have never lost a lvl 9 outpost yet. It's so funny to see "Player X is attacking the Heavy Munitions Plant!". Then silence...... for more than 2 minutes. Haha :D :D
Even hostile lvl 9-10 players don't take it back... I don't understand it. Maybe they are intimidated by that beautiful maxed lvl 9 base with a shiny droideka. Ah well.

no idea what are you talking about. when we matched with somewhat skilled opponents those lvl9 posts may fall from one hands to the other a few times until we run out of attacks. Even lvl10 may fail sometimes but with right tactic a good lvl8 can take a lvl9 outpost.

BertO wrote:Dandoran spawns troops, Tatooine spawns mech. That is it. Number of stars doesn't matter.

I've always been curious what Imp Tat spawns at lvl9. Reb one spawns 3 jugs, then Imp should spawn 2 atats to keep UC balance?
New home of former Windows IMPERIALS® squad. PM me to join us on Android server.
-
Layout Manager
http://www.swcommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19986
-
Defense Tracker
http://www.swcommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20403

BertO
Major General

Post#23 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:21 pm

Sigma582 wrote:
BertO wrote:Dandoran spawns troops, Tatooine spawns mech. That is it. Number of stars doesn't matter.

I've always been curious what Imp Tat spawns at lvl9. Reb one spawns 3 jugs, then Imp should spawn 2 atats to keep UC balance?

Just same number of mech, subs in rATATs instead of Juggs and ATMPs instead of ATAPs.
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Live long and prosper.

Ghost666
Major General

Post#24 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:04 am

Sigma582 wrote:no idea what are you talking about. when we matched with somewhat skilled opponents those lvl9 posts may fall from one hands to the other a few times until we run out of attacks. Even lvl10 may fail sometimes but with right tactic a good lvl8 can take a lvl9 outpost.

We have a L8 that can take any L9 outpost...not sure if he uses air, dekas or whatever...we ask for one and he will take it.
Basic reason is he has A LOT of practice...as i have a strong L10 attack i rarely attack outposts but use my attacks vs L10 (or L9) bases...so our L8 and L9s will usually do outpost duty.

The reverse is that i actually had problems when i had to attack an outpost...didnt knew what to expect...troops appearing from the ground wasnt really what i expected...

Back on topic...we had VERY HARD times versus a couple squads that were below our base levels by a good margin...but were very effective in the outpost battle...just recently vs a Black Wing family squad, they could almost turn a -7 or so HQ deficit into a win simply by using the outposts to maximize their attack efficiency and simultaneously hamper ours...

I actually DONT LIKE outposts...i have a life outside SWC and to have to sync attacks with squad is taxing my family and professional lives...i would prefer to have 24h to attack...but no bonuses...just my own schedule!
"All Walls Must Die" - Imperial Sniper Corps Unofficial Motto

ChiptheFish
Commodore

Post#25 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:52 am

Ghost666 wrote:
Sigma582 wrote:no idea what are you talking about. when we matched with somewhat skilled opponents those lvl9 posts may fall from one hands to the other a few times until we run out of attacks. Even lvl10 may fail sometimes but with right tactic a good lvl8 can take a lvl9 outpost.

We have a L8 that can take any L9 outpost...not sure if he uses air, dekas or whatever...we ask for one and he will take it.
Basic reason is he has A LOT of practice...as i have a strong L10 attack i rarely attack outposts but use my attacks vs L10 (or L9) bases...so our L8 and L9s will usually do outpost duty.

The reverse is that i actually had problems when i had to attack an outpost...didnt knew what to expect...troops appearing from the ground wasnt really what i expected...

Back on topic...we had VERY HARD times versus a couple squads that were below our base levels by a good margin...but were very effective in the outpost battle...just recently vs a Black Wing family squad, they could almost turn a -7 or so HQ deficit into a win simply by using the outposts to maximize their attack efficiency and simultaneously hamper ours...

I actually DONT LIKE outposts...i have a life outside SWC and to have to sync attacks with squad is taxing my family and professional lives...i would prefer to have 24h to attack...but no bonuses...just my own schedule!

Agree on the timing issue. Our squad has never tried to coordinate our attacks and I've never suggested it because we're all on different life schedules, timezones, and it seems like many have healthy IRL activities ( you know: jobs, school, mates, kids, exercise...). We win often and we don't coordinate - and I'm happy with that. When we loose to an obviously well coordinated team (i.e. they grab all the outposts and hammer us inside of 30 minutes) I just chalk it up as the cost of avoiding having a game dominate all my time.

Regarding eliminating the outposts... I could go either way. I do like the variety the randomness of the outposts bring to the match. And it's also one of the major incentives I have found for unlocking the different planets, which I think might be the main purpose of their existence; previously I almost ignored the other planets. (although the unit unlocks help as well with that, but not as much for me)
Chip the Fish, Rebel: HQ10, Medals: 26K, Battle Rank: 13 (Android)
FriendsofOB1: A Level 50 Squad - Join us!
Casual but active L4-10 player's welcome. 1-2 wars a week. Any time-zone. English only

spiderx
Commodore

Post#26 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:43 am

1) it is better to have outposts instead of not having them. So if you attack in coordinated waves - take outposts first and do immediate uplink attacks after. If you do not attack in coordinated waves - you may consider outpost need case to case - their necessarity is not obvious.
2) In Rebels faction case, Takodana outpost has some really huge effect (somewhat 2x) on infantry attacking power, other outposts have small (some 10%) effect in their area. So Takodana has a real advantage (L10 jetpack can shoot L10 storage in 1 shot), others - non-critical advantage.
3) The outpost question is usually like a religious question: lots of people believe them blindly. It's "a must" for some people (especially weak players) and I noticed that weak attackers tend to blame outposts even if their failure was incompetence and inability to handle SC troops. It is always a "waste of time" for some people, especially "lonely wolves" who dont want to coordinate with a team. Experienced players always use outposts in coordinated attacks, but evaluate them case-to-case on standalone leftover attacks.
Rebel HQ10. Base score: 2957 of 2964.
Favorite SWC website: www.star-wars-commander-info.com

Scott
Commodore

Post#27 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:04 am

With Yavin, 1 level 3 A-Wing and 1 level 8 X-Wing will take out a level 10 shield and level 10 SC.

Python6
Commodore

Post#28 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:04 am

Outposts have an exponential effect since control of them no only buffs your attacking forces, but also your SC defense forces as long as your squad controls them. I routinely adjust my defense SC and attack loadouts depending on what planets are in play to maximize the buff. Seen more than one attacker fail against defenses two levels below them when they didn't have the planets on their side. We put more time into planning how we will capture and keep the planets than we usually do on who is going to attack which base.
Officer ImperialNWA Andriod / IOS Imperial Squad. If you are a new / developing player check out our developmental squads ImperialNWA_II and ImperialNWA_III.
LINE ID is python6swc

Ghost666
Major General

Post#29 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:22 am

Case in point..

Our latest opponent had a "standard" base design...many bases followed the same overall strategy (4 corner base). So i used the same tactic on 3 bases...(it worked the first time :))

I could 3 star 2 L10 bases WITH outpost support...at game end i tried to "cleanup" so hit a L9 base without outpost support...and the attack simply faltered...jumps died when they used to survive...

No big difference in base, it should have been easier...EXCEPT for the dandoran outpost...

I guess this is no secret...i knew beforehand it would be different...but i think many players dont know HOW BIG the difference really is...
"All Walls Must Die" - Imperial Sniper Corps Unofficial Motto

rRr
Admiral

Post#30 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:46 am

Value of outposts is not static, but they are definetly worth it. As a HQ8, I was able to 3 star any base with "super nuke combo" (machines dmg boost, troops dmg boost and troops regeneration). However some of them have their bonuses dependent on other outposts..

Tatooine - machine dmg boost. I never atatck without it, it gives endless power to my MHC's and AT-AT's. I could conquer world with this bonus..

Takodana - troops dmg boost. It is not so great for Empire players, but it still helps alot, and be holding it you take BIG advantage from Rebel hands (especially as most of them use Heavies + Medics combo). If you modifiy your assault forces abit, you can make this planet into great use. We had one war where this was only dmg bonus available. After I attacked HQ9 (as HQ8), my machines got destroyed soon after enemy shields and after about 30 seconds only 2 snipers left with like 30% of base down..I was about to stop that suffering until I saw what those 2 snipers from my SC are doing..I let them play, and finished with 2 stars and 80% of enemy base down.

Dandoran - troops healing. Same as Takodana, just with one exception: Repair droids not only heal your machines, but themselves too, thats great!

Hoth - regenerative shields. If the other outposts are dmg boosts, this outpost is not worth it. However, if other 2 outposts are, lets say Dandoran and ErKit, this is great outpost, as droideka sentinel lvl 24 with regenerative shield is pain in the ass for nayone who is attacking you. It makes droidekas almost immortal! However, I dont care if my Rebel oponent has or has not Hoth, my AT-ATs smash his shields on 2 hits with or without that bonus.

Yavin 4 - starships bonus. This one is great, not so great as Tatooine and Takodana, but..with this bonus, you can destroy enemy SC with single TIE fighters attack. And also both droidekas are dead after single TIE fighters strike. Not mentioning that many people don't know it, but this bonus increases also power of traps!

ErKit - HQ and walls resistance. I think that this bonus is strongly underestimated. Yes, if you have Tatooine of Takodana, you dont feel like ErKit gave much more HP to enemy. But if there is no dmg bonus out there (for example: ErKit, Dandoran, Hoth combo), it takes AGES to destroy enemy HQ or even walls, and thime is often your biggest enemie! From my experience, only thing that can help here is if AT-AT walks over walls and destroys them, because MHC's without dmg bonus are not able to break those walls in any usefull time.. BUT if enemy has Tatooine and Takodana, ErKit would not stop him from obliterating your base, not even a little.

PS: I might messed Takodana and Dandoran, they look same to me so I never know which one gives which bonus.
Empire HQ X, 30 000+ medals, contrabant addict.
Proud officer of Sith-Society
we have currently 2 open slots,
take your chance to be in same squad as "UCL Tracker" chat family founder
;)
LINE: rrr-firstlorder

Return to “Squad Wars Discussions”