The Force Awakens - what did you think? - WITH SPOILERS!!!

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
raptor
Major General

The Force Awakens - what did you think? - WITH SPOILERS!!!

Post#1 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:32 pm

Pros:
- Movie stated very true to the original feel and story. They even "borrowed" some of the storylines and made no attempt to hide it. The Hans Solo scene brought back emotions.
- the graphics were awesome!!! Love the tie fighter battles.

Cons:
- most of the plot holes I'm willing to overlooks. Eg how does compressing a star into a planet not create a black hole? Or why the millennium falcon was left fueled on Jakku. The thing I find most plausible is how a untrained Rye and a minimally trained Fin, who is not even a Jedi, can take on a dark Sith Lord and win. Remember how difficult it was for Luke in the beginning?

Other thoughts:
- Tie fighters feel a little smaller and more flimsy than I remembered.

Re: The Force Awakens - what did you think? - WITH SPOILERS!

Post#2 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:55 pm

I too want to know how Kylo Ren who is trained by Luke freaking Skywalker gets stomped by two people who have never picked up a lightsaber. There's no way Snoke (who I think is Darth Plageius) wouldn't have realized that Kylo wasn't ready for lightsaber battles before. And coupled with the fact that Kylo held a laser bolt in mid-air using the force earlier in the movie yet used absolutely no force "moves" on Rey or Fin whatsoever tells me that maybe he didn't really want to win those fights after all. He said he would finished what Vader started but what Vader started was a crusade to rid the galaxy of Jedi - before Luke was a Jedi. Vader of course failed until he killed Obi-Wan and the torch was passed, but aside from threatening Luke, "what he started" with regards to Luke was trying to convert him, not destroy him. Perhaps Kylo's goals and the First Order's goals don't coincide so neatly and Kylo is searching for a way back to the light. Also, currently Adam Driver isn't listed in the next movie; Benicio Del Toro is confirmed and assumed to be the "next" villain, so assuming that Snoke's request to get Kylo off the planet was successful then maybe he returns in the 9th installment and maybe he turns to the light side.

Not that they're trying to be true to physics or anything but they're not taking any mass from the star; just energy. The mass of the star (which would be huge) would remain, with (presumably) enormous amounts of gravity left over because the mass remains but is very dense because there are no more fusion reactions going on to spread the matter apart. So the "collapsed" star could become a black hole, but it wouldn't occur on the starkiller base.

The Millennium Falcon part can easily be explained by saying it doesn't need fuel all the time (it could be nuclear or based on dilithium crystals for all we know) and the scavenger "lord" that "owned" it probably didn't realize what it was. Han didn't notice it until it was powered on, and no scavengers had thought to power it on before because scavenger lord guy was really intimidating or something.

LDeVose2
Commodore

Post#3 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:26 pm

I will not give any spoiler info, although plenty has been spilled already. However, I enjoyed the continuity of the story. I enjoyed the storytelling itself. Overall, I would give it 4 out of five stars. It loses the 20% to the following:

Starkiller - been there done that - almost the same way.
Rye in the Starkiller - Aw c'mon! See above comment.
Rye in final scene - lemme guess; chapter VIII becomes Empire Strikes Back - II
Rye is a bit stiff; not nearly as natural as Luke in the beginning;
Rye with no Master Jedi, amazing quick-study, and as a commenter above said, against a Sith Lord?
So, who is or is not Jedi? Fin? Rye? Neither? Both?
Waay too much action too soon and too often.

Don't get me wrong! As a fan, I enjoyed it immensely. I did not in any way feel cheated. I was not disappointed. Just as with the first three, then the prequel three, I was left salivating for the next chapter.

By the way, is the agreement still solid, that Disney will release a new chapter every two years?
In-Game Name - Eulippia Prime
Windows 10
Current Base Level ~ 7

Faction - Rebel
Current Rank ~ 7
Squad - Eulippia
Squad Position - Leader
Squad Status -
OPEN

How to Join - OPEN

LDeVose2
Commodore

Post#4 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:37 pm

raptor wrote:Pros:
- Movie stated very true to the original feel and story. They even "borrowed" some of the storylines and made no attempt to hide it. The Hans Solo scene brought back emotions.
- the graphics were awesome!!! Love the tie fighter battles.

Cons:
- most of the plot holes I'm willing to overlooks. Eg how does compressing a star into a planet not create a black hole? Or why the millennium falcon was left fueled on Jakku. The thing I find most plausible is how a untrained Rye and a minimally trained Fin, who is not even a Jedi, can take on a dark Sith Lord and win. Remember how difficult it was for Luke in the beginning?

Other thoughts:
- Tie fighters feel a little smaller and more flimsy than I remembered.

On the last point, I think this could be due to the length of time since any upgrades.

I have the same question with Fin & Rye. However, I think we are in for surprises from both of their backstories.

Did you start to feel "been there done that" with the Starkiller sequence? I was waiting for the pilot to say "Creepy grimy..." or whatever it was that Luke said in chapter IV.

I have to say that even I was a bit overwhelmed by the size difference between the Deathstar and the Starkiller. Seeing that nearly made me say, Aw, hay-ell nahw! And steal an X-wing or shuttle and join Luke on the Outer Rim.
In-Game Name - Eulippia Prime
Windows 10
Current Base Level ~ 7

Faction - Rebel
Current Rank ~ 7
Squad - Eulippia
Squad Position - Leader
Squad Status -
OPEN

How to Join - OPEN

Return to “General Discussions”