SWCommander a Eulogy

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
TNT
Admiral

SWCommander a Eulogy

Post#1 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:33 am

As we're scrambling for our last bits of enjoyment as the game winds down. Let's not forget to say thanks to the devs who did provide years of fun

First of course the Playdom devs.
The game was made as a response to Clash of Clans and was quickly labeled as a Clash of Clans clone by everyone, but I think everyone who has played CoC will agree with me when I say that this is quite far from the truth.
Looking at where we are now and where we came from, I can't help but feel that the good ladies and gentlemen from Playdom had a real vision of where they wanted to go and what they wanted to do. This is one of the few games out there with faction imbalances, a noble cause because it makes the game so much more interesting. But it's incredibly hard to get the balance right.
I personally feel that they did succeed somewhat. The enduring fun of wars are a testament to this. There was no perfect solution to every base, unlike what I've encountered in several other games.

It's unfortunate that that vision clashed with the rapidly developing reality of the toxic wasteland that is F2P gaming. Gotta nickle and dime the consumer and ignore bugs that don't make/cost us direct money.

After Playdom was eaten by the Mouse like a piece of cheese, Disney became the new devs. (probably? I'm kinda vague on how that went) The devs there obviously tried their best, but the F2P Mobile beast was hungry. Some good stuff was introduced (the Frags, armory and events) and some less good stuff as well (armory, guard reserve). Still, regardless of how we view their additions, we did get some enjoyment out of it.

We've had some ups and downs, but all in all. We've had fun. :)

Thanks Devs.
Join the OuterRimRioters.
We have spare rooms. :) Also available in trial version. We have a 100% optional discord and war regularly.

geoman48
Admiral

Re: SWCommander a Eulogy

Post#2 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:22 am

TNT wrote:As we're scrambling for our last bits of enjoyment as the game winds down. Let's not forget to say thanks to the devs who did provide years of fun

The game was made as a response to Clash of Clans and was quickly labeled as a Clash of Clans clone by everyone, but I think everyone who has played CoC will agree with me when I say that this is quite far from the truth.
Looking at where we are now and where we came from, I can't help but feel that the good ladies and gentlemen from Playdom had a real vision of where they wanted to go and what they wanted to do. This is one of the few games out there with faction imbalances, a noble cause because it makes the game so much more interesting. But it's incredibly hard to get the balance right.
I personally feel that they did succeed somewhat. The enduring fun of wars are a testament to this. There was no perfect solution to every base, unlike what I've encountered in several other games.

It's unfortunate that that vision clashed with the rapidly developing reality of the toxic wasteland that is F2P gaming. Gotta nickle and dime the consumer and ignore bugs that don't make/cost us direct money.

After Playdom was eaten by the Mouse like a piece of cheese, Disney became the new devs. (probably? I'm kinda vague on how that went) The devs there obviously tried their best, but the F2P Mobile beast was hungry. Some good stuff was introduced (the Frags, armory and events) and some less good stuff as well (armory, guard reserve). Still, regardless of how we view their additions, we did get some enjoyment out of it.

Thanks Devs.

Good Perspective... never thought about it quite like you put it. Well said. :mrgreen:

LosVega
Admiral

Post#3 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:20 am

I'll disagree with the overall characterization of the Playdom devs. Playdom was just the means to which the devs interacted with the player base for SWC and other Disney games until the data breach occurred and the subsequent shutdown of that forum. Although the devs intent were most likely good, they still answered to the mouse and took quite a few beatings from the player base over signficant decisions such as Eat-te and Juggernaut being broken for weeks due to bad code in an update. "By Design" isn't just the name of a top squad but refers to a quote from Chris Menzes on the Playdom forum regarding a change in the game; most likely one of the numerous "gates" that occured during their tweaking of the game play.
BATTALION FAMILY
WOLF, DRAGON, REDBAK, ROYALX, FALCON, GATOR
Duza's Elite & Duza's Finest - Empire
Looking for a great squad? Come by for a visit, make new friends and maul
some ass

ObiWanKenobi2016
Grand Admiral

Post#4 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:34 am

TNT wrote:As we're scrambling for our last bits of enjoyment as the game winds down. Let's not forget to say thanks to the devs who did provide years of fun

Thanks Devs.

I second that.

I've really enjoyed this game and the people I've met along the way.
HQ Prestige - Sons of Death & Midnight Mob

You must do what you think is right, of course.

Return to “General Discussions”