A couple questions

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
TalonKarrde
Squadron Leader

A couple questions

Post#1 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:21 pm

Hi I am new to this game at L 4 and I have a couple of questions.

1) What mix of turets should I be using (including bursts because I am almost at L 5).

2) I have read repeatedly that gold heroic defense crates get data fragments. I have yet to see this happen.

3) Why am I attacking L6 bases when I’m only L4?

4) where do I find my base score?

5) Is there any good pvp base layouts that don’t require a full sc ( I will post a picture of my base as soon a I figure out how to make the attachment feature work.)

Thanks.

DeathStriker

Re: A couple questions

Post#2 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:12 pm

TalonKarrde wrote:Hi I am new to this game at L 4 and I have a couple of questions.

1) What mix of turets should I be using (including bursts because I am almost at L 5).

2) I have read repeatedly that gold heroic defense crates get data fragments. I have yet to see this happen.

5) Is there any good pvp base layouts that don’t require a full sc ( I will post a picture of my base as soon a I figure out how to make the attachment feature work.)

Thanks.

TalonKarrde - Welcome to the Forum! smile :D

:arrow: Here are your Answers:

1. You should use a mix of Burst and Rocket Turrets.

2. The Bronzium Heroic Defense Crate rewards Data Fragments for Armory Equipment. Until you build Armory at HQ 6 you will receive Image Credits in place of those Rewards.

3. Check your Medal Count. Until you upgrade to HQ 9 you should keep your Medal Count to 1000 or Less to improve your PvP Matchmaking.

4. Go to GSoW and search for your In-Game-Name (IGN) using Members in the Search Tool. Click on your current Squad (if your IGN is common and appears in multiple Squads). Look in Members Tab > Base Strength Column.

5. Yes. You will be joining Death_Striker Squad soon (per PM) and the Squad Leader (mine) Base is a good layout, but does make use of Armory Equipment, so until you reach HQ 6+ I would not worry about losing PvP Defensive Attacks. If you get the LINE App we can show you some "tricks" to aid you in Winning Heroic Defense "events".
Hope that answers your questions...

It has been an honor and a privilege helping the SWC Community. MTFBWYA

XitLiteNtrNite
Major General

Post#3 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:16 pm

1) At lower levels, I like a mix of burst & rockets with some mortars mixed in. That said, winning and losing at that level is not important; only gaining resources to keep your droids busy matters.

2) Until you get planetary control, you won't be able to do heroic defenses. Once you do, getting bronzium crates should be your main focus.

3) Be happy you are finding them, as they will have more resources to steal when you attack. Again, focus on resources at your level.

4) GSoW shows it, if you are in a squad that has warred at least once. I don't know if it shows anywhere else (I never checked).

5) At your level, your SC is your main defense. High-level troops will keep most, if not all, attackers from clearing your base.

As a bonus, try to learn to attack where you don't need your SC to win the attack as it will make you a better player. If you do find a base with a lot more resources than you are used to seeing, then dropping the SC is OK. Just don't make it a habit.
In game name: Paper Tiger
Squad: CircleOf.Masters
Line ID: paper-tiger
Discord: Paper Tiger#6882

TalonKarrde
Squadron Leader

Post#4 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:05 pm

How do I keep my medal count down without purposely losing battles? (Doing that effects my score in conflicts otherwise I wouldn’t mind)
King of smugglers

DeathStriker

Post#5 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:14 pm

TalonKarrde wrote:How do I keep my medal count down without purposely losing battles? (Doing that effects my score in conflicts otherwise I wouldn’t mind)

TalonKarrde - Yes, purposely dumping Medals requires you to LOSE PvP Attacks which will effect your Gear Count on a Planet currently in Conflict.

:arrow: Once you have Planetary Command built, during a Conflict you can possibly Relocate to a Planet with No Conflict to dump your Medals without effecting your Conflict Gear Count, or during the "break" between Conflicts you can Dump Medals.

The "reason" dumping Medals is recommended is made clear by reading this Topic:

Hope that answers your question...

lukeskywalker
Admiral

Post#6 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:19 pm

TalonKarrde wrote:Hi I am new to this game at L 4 and I have a couple of questions.

Thanks.

IMO, focus on the following at level 1-7, since you will only spend a few months at those levels vs. years at level 8 through Prestige if you stick with the game:

1) Most Important - Decide whether you want a mini or max base.
2) Learn how to loot and make a profit on every attack, so you can fund your base and troop upgrades.
3) Get to level 6 as soon as you can, so you unlock your armory.
4) Learn the AI/targeting preferences of both your troops and your opponent troops.
5) Experiment like hell. Don't stay in one base layout or one attack mode just because it works in early stages.
6) Once you are at level 6, learn how to earn crates (Heroic defense, events, conflicts, daily crates, using planetary command and perks to hit all the planets, objectives).

I would recommend a mini until you get a feel for the game. That's simply because you cannot turn back the clock. You can shift to a max base at level 8 from a mini, but you can't go back from a max to a mini. That said, it's a personal choice and not all squads will accept mini bases. Figure out how much it costs per attack and make sure the base you are attacking will get you a profit. Use a minimum of troops needed to turn a profit vs. getting a 3 star win in the early stages of your swc "career". Wins are not important on every attack. Use some attacks to loot, and occasionally test yourself to get a 3 star. By using the bare minimum troops (less than your full transport allotment), you will save resources and turn better profits, and also learn how to win with less in the process. You will be surprised how little troops you need to 3 star through level 8. Trying to win conflicts at level 5 and below are probably not worth it. You get samples, but your medal count will go up very fast and you will be upside down in matchmaking. Probably why you are seeing level 6 opponents.

Use different troop mixes and watch the synergy. See where the troops go, and what they target first. On defense, use layouts that might not make sense. Give your opponents room to deploy troops in different drop zones and watch what their key units target. E.g. put a resource generator, storage, turret, HQ and squad center in the same location and give your opponent a chance to attack them all. See what happens and which way the units turn. Remember those tendencies when you start to level up and settle into a base layout you like. The game changes, so you will need to evolve, so those lessons learned will come in handy.

Use a turret mix early. Burst, rapid, mortar, rocket. See what each does. Note the turret range and see which does the most damage to infantry and vehicles. You won't see flyers (jets/jumps) until level 8, so you won't see the full benefits of burst turrets until that stage.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

TalonKarrde
Squadron Leader

Post#7 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:58 pm

I read in a different post that you shouldn’t max out your turrets or traps and you should upgrade straight to L8 and then grind for frags. At what level should I skip the turrets and traps and go straight to L8?
King of smugglers

DeathStriker

Post#8 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:27 pm

TalonKarrde wrote:I read in a different post that you shouldn’t max out your turrets or traps and you should upgrade straight to L8 and then grind for frags. At what level should I skip the turrets and traps and go straight to L8?

TalonKarrde - As you Upgrade your HQ, initially avoid building/Upgrading Resource Collectors, Shields, Turrets, and Traps and concentrate on "other" Structures, especially Key Buildings (Research Lab, SC, Barracks, Factory, Troop Transport, Credit Vaults, Alloy Depots).

I would Upgrade to HQ 6 to unlock Armory, and pause there for a bit to get rest of base upgraded then jump to HQ 8.

Over time, you can gradually add / upgrade most Structures, but avoid building Turrets and Traps to help keep your Base Score Low.

:arrow: NOTE: Each jump in HQ Level increases the number and Level of the Units "spawned" during Heroic Defense "Events".

lukeskywalker
Admiral

Post#9 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:04 pm

TalonKarrde wrote:I read in a different post that you shouldn’t max out your turrets or traps and you should upgrade straight to L8 and then grind for frags. At what level should I skip the turrets and traps and go straight to L8?

Follow the link that DS provided for base score calculation. Notice that adding turrets and traps hurt your base score more than upgrading them. I have found that upgrading them to the level of your attackers can help, as long as you don't add too many turrets. I have found 2-4 turrets max works best for a mini base. Of course, you will need strong squad center troops. Adding (unlocking) guard reserve even at level 1 helps offset the lack of turrets too. My target base score for my mini level 8 bases is to keep the total base score under 1000. Then go into frag collecting mode heavily, while managing the medal count. At level 8, it's the best of both worlds in terms of getting conflict points vs. ease of wins with a level 8 mini. The biggest drawback of running a mini, is that your skills may not develop as fast, because you will not be really tested by high level gr and bases. There is a trade-off.

A level 8 mini with a base score under 1000 will most likely see a steady diet of level 7 bases and some 6's. Not a huge gap, but significant when you factor in the armory level differences. Getting the 2-4 turrets upgraded to level 7, will do enough damage vs. those level 6 and 7 attackers, to help your squad center enough to get you defensive wins. With gr, most level 6's and 7's don't typically stand a chance.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

ObiWanKenobi2016
Grand Admiral

Post#10 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:10 am

You have some excellent advice here, my friend.

Traps
I'd also suggest not having any traps for some time, until level 8, at the earliest. Every trap you add adds significantly to your base score, and adversely affects your matchmaking. They're not much use in PvP or HDs either. The most useful trap to have is the LAAT (IDT for Empire faction). This summons troops to defend your base. I no longer remember when they unlock possibly level 9? But they are the only really useful trap.

Mini-bases
If this is your first account, I'm not sure how easy it is to make mini-bases work well. Mini-bases enable a player to exploit weaknesses / loopholes in the game's design by having high level troops for attack and a low base score for better matchmaking. From what I've read, you need to know the game quite well to understand how to make this work. Everyone that I know of that's made having a mini-base work did so with their mini-base as a second account.

The best advice I can give you is to join an active squad with higher level members. They will help you with troop donations and strategy, etc.
HQ Prestige - Sons of Death & Midnight Mob

You must do what you think is right, of course.

Return to “General Discussions”