RFTs vs Burst Turrets

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Re: RFTs vs Burst Turrets

Post#11 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:26 am

lukeskywalker wrote:
DarkRebel wrote:Lots of Prestige level answers for a L4 player :) lol.
[cut]

Yeah, that was funny. In fairness, there was some info sprinkled in that was applicable to a level 4 or pertinent to the long-term decision making, but funny nonetheless. As a level 4, keep in mind you will only stay at that level for a very short period of time in this game. Even at a slow pace, you will be at level 6 in a very short period of time. A lot depends on whether you want to make a lot of turret swaps later on, when you hit level 8. The game changes a little through level 7 and significantly at level 8. That's why a lot of the Prestige players chimed in with higher level feedback.

As DarkRebel said, at level 4 you will see a steady diet of Wookiee and rebel soldier attacks. A mix of bursts and mortars would work. You will most likely swap out of the mortars and rapids at level 8, so no sense in having rapids. That will minimize the number of swaps you need to make. Bursts are better than rapids at level 8 and probably just as effective as rapids at the lower levels. Most rebel units don't have the range to hurt bursts, and most rebel players don't really know how to use hails even when they get them. So many need to be taught how to use buffers, deployment timing, and the range differentials to get the right spacing. I would only keep 2 mortars, since you will swap out of those too.

Since I suspect this is really a "how do you improve your defense" question, I will add that you keep snipers, togs, bikes, MTT's, ITT, or Orbak in your squad center for defense. Learn to 3 star on offense without any squad center help, so you can keep your squad center troops intact. Those alone will stop most of your attackers at level 4-7. Get your squad center under shields and inside your walls, and that more than turret selection will keep your base protected at the lower levels. Upgrade your walls as a priority, so keep a droid free to upgrade your walls every time you have enough alloy. At level 7 and below, it's nothing but ground troops. Walls are important.

A subtle strategy would also be to delay adding turrets. Either full blown mini base or delay adding turrets and hold off on traps. For example, don't add your level 5 turret allocation until you go to HQ level 6. The problem is the transition. When you get to level 6 and immediately add your level 6 turrets, the game matchmaking will treat you more like a level 6 than a level 5. Your troops will still be at level 5 at best. That matchmaking algo includes turrets and traps in your base score, on both offensive and defensive attacks, so you lose ground on offense and breakeven on defense at best when you add turrets and traps. Sure way to struggle.

Excellent advices !!!

(PS. as a L4, it's not easy to get other people to send you units like togs, MTTs, ITTs, Orbak. A L4 player is likely to be in a training squad. Good luck in finding a squad that is willing to adopt a L4/5 and send you those units. You'd more likely get things like wookies, meds, or rebel soldiers, units that players already cooked in their load. You may get some snipers and bikes, and consider that lucky :) ).

DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Post#12 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:24 am

As a low level rebel (less than 7), long long ago, the instant skip for me was mortar farm. Couldn't beat it. >10 mortars pouring bombs continuously is like hell to my rebel infantry load. This was when I started to learn how to use hover tanks, and leading with tanks to distract the mortars.

syncpan77
Admiral

Post#13 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:11 am

Rapid Fire turrets suck at ALL levels, and unless someone is attacking you with a horde of support units, they're not going to stop ANY attack, EVER! whereas other types of turrets could stop at least one. At lv4 I'd suggest going with a mortar/rocket mix. You'll get attacked by rebel swarms a lot still and maybe a few light vehicles. Sure, someone might send in wookiees but for that you wanna keep your SC stocked with snipers or bikes. At lv4 what's your SC capacity, 16? 1 sniper, 1 bike, 1 pilot works great, or two bikes, 1 twilek or security droid. The absolute key to winning defense at levels 2-6 is all in the squad center, your base won't stand a chance at ALL with it empty. Even if you have armory buff for turrets, a good rebel swarm with 50-90 troopers led by chewbacca will still run it over with little resistance.
OFFICER in "DARKDONATIONS"
LINE ID: syncpan77-MOSTLY A RESTRICTED NO OP WAR SQUAD
Top 15 on GSOW in UCL, always looking for new members

katzenkrimis
Storm Trooper

Post#14 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:08 am

I laugh when I see people using too many burst turrets, because Kessen owns them.

Mortars are more of a threat. Then Rockets. Then Sonics. Then Rapids.

A balance of turrets is the best way to go, because no matter what you do, you're going to get smoked by transport spammers.

lukeskywalker
Admiral

Post#15 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:13 pm

katzenkrimis wrote:I laugh when I see people using too many burst turrets, because Kessen owns them.

Mortars are more of a threat. Then Rockets. Then Sonics. Then Rapids.

A balance of turrets is the best way to go, because no matter what you do, you're going to get smoked by transport spammers.

Sounds like you are at level 7 or below if you have mortars and rockets at the top of your list, unless I am misinterpreting what you are saying.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 25+ members, and we war twice a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

TKTB51
Admiral

Post#16 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:52 pm

agree. Most P level players have only, and I mean only, bursts and sonics.

I have 14 and 4. The 14 have level 10x2 armory skins on them.

Yes, SMTTs roll through the base - there's almost nothing in the game that can prevent that. If I design my base to stop those attacks, which aren't the most common attacks, I'll then lose to the jets and other attacks (which I usually win).
Player: TK-TB51 (leader)
Squad: DarkLords
Level 50 with all maxed out perks
Imperial (like you didn't know that already)

Founder of MEGA - "Make the Empire Great Again".

www.darklords.info (under construction)

Return to “General Discussions”