Worth Upgrading to HQ Level 9?

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
CoolGuy
Admiral

Re: Worth Upgrading to HQ Level 9?

Post#11 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:37 pm

CarthOnasi wrote:That sounds insanely boring staying low level and having no turrets and traps. Why only play part of the game. Im going to have everything prestige. Don't you get a sick feeling not having everything complete? Also this game is already a big time consumer. Who would ever have more than 1 base. You'd spend hours switching to each account to complete event check points. Just sounds like self torture to me.

I've had had a Prestige base for a long time, which is why I started again. With a Prestige knowledge, base building and attack skills, it's fun going back to the start again.
Windows refugee with the Rogue Ewok group. Killing the Empire since 2015.
Come and visit us at RogueEwokReturn

lukeskywalker
Admiral

Post#12 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:11 pm

CarthOnasi wrote:That sounds insanely boring staying low level and having no turrets and traps. Why only play part of the game. Im going to have everything prestige. Don't you get a sick feeling not having everything complete? Also this game is already a big time consumer. Who would ever have more than 1 base. You'd spend hours switching to each account to complete event check points. Just sounds like self torture to me.

LOL, that's the biggest trap in the game. It preys on completionists/OCD people! It's not boring on defense, because you don't need turrets and traps. Guard reserve alone at lower levels are enough defense, along with upgraded and buffed walls. My max base is the only one where I would like to max out the armory upgrades, but most of my units and equipment are maxed out in the armory too, so I jump on now mostly to help others in the squad with donations. Only gr left to get to level 10 and some dumb units like the demo droid. Adding more bases to play, is not necessarily going to add more time consumption. It's actually the downtime in between attacks for maxed bases, that's the boring part. The other bases just fill in the time gap. If I play 30 minutes, I'm not adding to it with the secondary bases. They are on a separate device, and are played only while the main base is waiting for troops to cook. Cook times are very fast at low levels. Samples can be used freely too, since every unit can be effective.

I don't involve every secondary base in every conflict/event. That would be nuts. You pick a base or two, that you want to do an unlock or upgrade for. That's it. There's absolutely no time pressure. The pressure to upgrade, play events and conflicts, etc. are actually all in the mind and part of the trap built into the game. If you play casually and don't upgrade your base, your base score and medal count don't go up. Therefore, you have no need to compete in events/conflicts. You stay out of the fray, visit that base once a week if you like or even once a month. Just don't join a squad with that base. Outside of the MTT and ITT/A5, most of the other units are only impactful at level 8 and above. You stay clear of those and are not drawn into it. Very few of your "competitors" will have special units anyway. No keeping up with the Jones. The game stays a game, and you play only when you have idle time. Killing a few minutes here and there. If you play every day for even 15 minutes, you are probably in the top 20% in terms of activity. Join a casual squad and see how often they are on. Not much.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

Boog
Grand Admiral

Post#13 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:59 pm

Secondary bases can be totally easy to manage. My philosophy on my secondary base is totally different from my main base, but I have plenty of fun with it.

TKTB51
Admiral

Post#14 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:43 pm

my secondary base (my "lowbie" account, until my Kindle was no longer able to run it) was built entirely differently - and my research path also - it was focused on dewbacks and darktroopers - the units that I had been despising in my primary account - and IT WORKED.

so there are many paths to the dark side, and when you get there, it's all dark. It doesn't care if you took path A or path B or whatever, the cookies are still there when you get there.
Player: TK-TB51 (leader)
Squad: DarkLords
Level 50 with all maxed out perks
Imperial (like you didn't know that already)

Founder of MEGA - "Make the Empire Great Again".

www.darklords.info (under construction)

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#15 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:08 am

Some people are never satisfied with what they have. Months ago the OP was complaining that the game was too hard for his Prestige base, so he started a mini/sandbagging base and he was happy because he was having a good time and fast progress, and now is complaining that there are no challenges for him with that base.

If you want challenges, you don't need to create a mini/sandbagging base. Keep playing with your Prestige or just max out your defenses and raise your number of medals at any HQ level and you will have enough challenges. Mini/sandbaggings are for players who don't want to waste time or struggle to make progress, life is already too hard to worry about a stupid game.

If you want challenges, stay at HQ 8 to play events, but build some traps and upgrade your turrets and you will start finding rivals of your level or above. Stop the medal dumping and raise your medals above 30k, this will give you strong HQ 9 and HQ 10 and some Prestige to attack, and you will have some good challenges.

Or you can go to HQ 9 with over 30k medals and you will only have to deal with big Prestiges - and you will really have a good challenge. if it's too hard, there's still a way out, just drop your medals to 1 and you will see rivals of your level or below again.
SWC Windows survivor.

Imperial HQ 11 & Rebel HQ 11 on vacation.

strawman3125
Grand Admiral

Post#16 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:23 am

mkenobi wrote:Some people are never satisfied with what they have. Months ago the OP was complaining that the game was too hard for his Prestige base, so he started a mini/sandbagging base and he was happy because he was having a good time and fast progress, and now is complaining that there are no challenges for him with that base.

This has always been the problem with this game! The conflicting requirements!

1. If you want to do well in conflicts and events (to get frags) you need easy opponents, and you can get them by minimizing your base score and medals... BUT then you are not challenged...
2. If you want challenging opponents, you can easily get them by maxing out your base score and medals... BUT then it's difficult do well in Conflicts and Events and thus to get frags and be able to keep up with top level opponents...

Circular...

If only they could they could setup the game so that you could acquire frags at a decent rate while facing challenging opponents! (It's actually not too difficult to do but the devs choose to not bother trying...)

lukeskywalker
Admiral

Post#17 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:48 am

strawman3125 wrote:
mkenobi wrote:Some people are never satisfied with what they have. Months ago the OP was complaining that the game was too hard for his Prestige base, so he started a mini/sandbagging base and he was happy because he was having a good time and fast progress, and now is complaining that there are no challenges for him with that base.

This has always been the problem with this game! The conflicting requirements!

1. If you want to do well in conflicts and events (to get frags) you need easy opponents, and you can get them by minimizing your base score and medals... BUT then you are not challenged...
2. If you want challenging opponents, you can easily get them by maxing out your base score and medals... BUT then it's difficult do well in Conflicts and Events and thus to get frags and be able to keep up with top level opponents...

Circular...

If only they could they could setup the game so that you could acquire frags at a decent rate while facing challenging opponents! (It's actually not too difficult to do but the devs choose to not bother trying...)

Yes, agree it's circular. You can get the best of both worlds only for a while and then medal count or some other factor shifts you back into making a choice. That said, the devs get a lot of heat for not trying, but I believe it's not a lack of effort. They have their own vicious cycle to deal with. Make the game fair for everyone and it will not drive income. There's no incentive or driver to make players spend money. Make the game challenging for the core players that drive revenue, and devs will get complaints. Getting complaints is the lessor of two evils for them, since they can't forego the money aspect. It's a business and livelihood for them and just a game for us. They follow the 80/20 rule. 20% of the population drives 80% of the revenue, although in practice some businesses see a 90/10 or even 95/5 rule. Getting players to agree on what is "fair" and what is "challenging" is also very difficult. Based on feedback, a majority of the playing population would not want to face high level gr, buffed turret bases. They also want to be able to win on defense. Any balancing act means someone has to lose. Can't have it both ways.

A majority of the experienced players know what follows, but I think the info below might help beginners understand why things work the way they work.

Conflicts - Drives crystal purchases and spending, by putting the top 20% of the playing population in competition with each other for limited "rewards". These are virtual rewards by the way, so keeping things in perspective is the tip of the day.

Events - Drives crystal purchases and spending by putting time contraints on each level, and then adding bonus crates if you finish early.

Objectives - Drives crystal purchases and spending by putting time constraints and high total build/deploy objectives or high destroy totals to incentivize cyrstal spending to bypass timers.

Planetary Command - Allows you to jump to different planets and compete in all of the events/conflicts, HD's, objectives, etc. and basically opens up more portals for income generation.

Medals - Drives crystal purchases and spending by putting players into increasingly difficult matchups as they continue playing. Medals can reflect some skill gains and probably have some correlation with frag accumulation, but make no mistake, this drives income. Accumulation of medals means you are either good at the game and will therefore be a candidate to buy crystals or you have been playing for a long time, like the game, and therefore are a candidate to spend money to buy cyrstals.

Heroic Defense - Drives crystal purchases and spending by making it difficult on beginners. Encourages use of heroes and starships, which drives crystal spending.

Base Upgrades - Drives crystal purchases and spending by putting you in higher base score brackets, which draw higher level matchups. Similar to medal count. Guess what ... that drives crystal purchases and spending. Guess why turrets and traps drive the biggest change in base score? Guess why the research center is the biggest bottleneck? Guess why getting upside down (base upgrades ahead of troop or armory troop/equipment upgrades) is the norm for uninformed players?

Wars/Outposts - Drives crystal purchases and spending because the competitive squads will use crystals to speed up turnaround times on attacks. Troop training, vehicle and starship building often drives crystal spending during outpost exchange flurries.

Timers - Cook times and other timers drive competitive players to crystal training/building, and therefore drives income. Starships are a common complaint, but guess why it gets so difficult at high levels and why starships have the longest cook times? Hmmm ... need starships to 3 star high level bases with maxed gr and buffed turrets?

Dev bases - CNFO's don't drive income. Easy dev bases drive conflict thresholds higher, which drives income. Skip dev bases, and live bases drive crystal spending by degree of difficulty.

Etc., etc. Players are at fault and not devs. Players are either too OCD or completionists at heart, or their competitiveness drives them to grind and in turn spend crystals to reach their end game. One way or another, players do it to themselves. I always look at things from a business perspective, since I believe you can learn something from every business model. I have yet to see a solution to any of the above, that will not require some other income option like a monthly fee or "Gold Pass" option like Clash of Clans introduced. Want a free game that's perfect, that has no in game purchase options? Good luck with that one.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

Return to “General Discussions”