Worth Upgrading to HQ Level 9?

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
CoolGuy
Admiral

Worth Upgrading to HQ Level 9?

Post#1 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:16 pm

I have a medal dumped sandbagged Rebel HQ8 base (CoolGuyJunior) with:

- 6 turrets
- 2 shields
- 0 traps
- and many other resource structures not built.

I beat 99.99% of bases in attack mode without using my SC, generally get Bronzium HDs, and get lots of defensive wins. I also sail through Events with generally 2.5-3.5 days of bonus crates. Most important units are upgraded to level 8 as well as some special frag units (Kessen, SD-K4, Vanguard, etc).

The big question is, should I upgrade to HQ9? What are the pros and cons? The main reason I want to upgrade is that I am bored with HQ8 and would like more challenges.
Windows refugee with the Rogue Ewok group. Killing the Empire since 2015.
Come and visit us at RogueEwokReturn

Boog
Grand Admiral

Re: Worth Upgrading to HQ Level 9?

Post#2 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:02 pm

Nine is better, you get the oppressor, which is more fun than the sentinel, and you get the extra planet for more crates. If you keep the base sandbagged, there's really no reason to take it all the way to Prestige. Attacking with my one medal presto base is easy as hell. I've been opening 7 bonus crates per day with it this event, and if it were my main or only base, I'd open 8 easily. And I can use any loadout I want with it. I've been riding the white pony all week

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#3 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:22 pm

Upgrading or not to HQ 9 has been discussed several times here. You know the advantages of going to 9:

LAAT traps
Oppressor
+1 planet
4 shields
Lugga

And the disadvantages:

Events require more EP and more time to complete key missions;
Daily Objectives become longer and more annoying
High number of medals/high base score will push you into matchmaking of Prestige rivals.

I have a Rebel base HQ 9 "Watchman", that was just like yours, created to play Events only. It had 6 Level 1 turrets, which was my mistake to build in addition to 2 turrets, and even though I didn't build any traps, it threw a high base score. The second mistake was never having dumped medals, and the third and fatal mistake was upgrading to HQ 9 with 35k medals at the time Prestige was released, which threw me straight into the big Prestiges matchmaking which are the same as I face with my Rebel Prestige maxed out.

Dumping medals to 25k was no good, and I was too lazy to drop more medals, so I abandoned this base for PVP and I am upgrading it to be a full HQ 9 only to play squad wars.

The secret of happiness in the SWC I already said is called medal dumping. If you want an authentic mini, build no more than two turrets and no traps. Instead of building more turrets that will add each one 25 to your base score, upgrade the 2 turrets you already have (an upgrade level adds only 5 to your base score).

The better is don't upgrade any turrets, if you have high level GR and Prestige buffed units in your SC -- you don't need more than that to win in PvP and HD. I have an Imperial mini HQ 8 "Lord Avlis" with 29k medals that still finds HQ 7 and HQ 8 because it has only 2 level 1 turrets and no traps. I get Bronzium in every HD and win all my defenses if the rival doesn't use Trucks, Trains or Buffed Jets.

In my opinion, stay at HQ 8 and enjoy Events, if you already have a Prestige to feed your mini. Go up to HQ 9 if you have the patience to drop medals whenever rivals are 1 or 2 levels above you. Depending on the level of your 6 turrets, they can push you into the matchmaking of strong Prestiges along with a high number of medals.

I have no patience to drop medals, and just for a testing, I created a third Imperial base "mkenobi II" with 2 Level 1 turrets, no traps, no shields, no tradeports, 1 level 1 refinary/market. It's HQ 8 now and I use it only to feed my main Prestige with Snipers for defense, Jumps for attack and other units for deploy troops objectives. And with less than 1k medals all rivals are Dev bases with 350-750k resources and 4-32k CB, and some Live also mini bases like mine.
SWC Windows survivor.

Imperial HQ 11 & Rebel HQ 11 on vacation. Currently in "Giveandgettroops" (Level 50 Imperial Squad) and "SevenOfNine2" Level 50 Rebel Squad -- training squads, everyone is welcome!

lukeskywalker
Admiral

Post#4 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:27 pm

I think this really comes down to what you want out of that base. If you go to HQ 9 with the number of turrets you have, you will find it more challenging. However, that turret count with an HQ 9 gets really medal sensitive. If you don't want to go down that slippery slope, you stay put. If you don't mind starting all over again if it goes past the point of no return, then by all means upgrade to level 9. You need to ask yourself what's the end game for that base.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

strawman3125
Grand Admiral

Post#5 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:14 pm

I kept my HQ8 at HQ8 for a long time, but eventually I got bored and upgraded. Not because of any perceived advantages of upgrading, just because I wanted something new.

TKTB51
Admiral

Post#6 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:26 pm

I'd stay level 8.

I don't medal dump, and it was a hard slog through 9, 10 and now 11. But I went "full base", turrets, traps, etc - maxed out - did that long before I read on these forums about the sandbagging strategy.
Player: TK-TB51 (leader)
Squad: DarkLords
Level 50 with all maxed out perks
Imperial (like you didn't know that already)

Founder of MEGA - "Make the Empire Great Again".

www.darklords.info (under construction)

CoolGuy
Admiral

Post#7 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:33 pm

strawman3125 wrote:I kept my HQ8 at HQ8 for a long time, but eventually I got bored and upgraded. Not because of any perceived advantages of upgrading, just because I wanted something new.

And I think that's where I'm at. No challenge at HQ8 anymore.
Windows refugee with the Rogue Ewok group. Killing the Empire since 2015.
Come and visit us at RogueEwokReturn

MachineHead
Commodore

Post#8 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:15 am

CoolGuy wrote:
strawman3125 wrote:I kept my HQ8 at HQ8 for a long time, but eventually I got bored and upgraded. Not because of any perceived advantages of upgrading, just because I wanted something new.

... it would help to build all defense buildings to prevent to get bored...but maybe it change to frustration... :)
mySquad: closed
myAccounts: MachineHead(11), Bulldozer(10), NineInchNails(9), Ministry(9), lol(6)

lukeskywalker
Admiral

Post#9 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:02 pm

CoolGuy wrote:

If you have a maxed base, that's where you get the challenge. I have bases at various levels and mixes, so I play the base I feel like using. My maxed out rebel base get's the most attention. The others I mix in. Currently 8 bases in total. Maxed rebel base in a squad, 2 mini Imp bases in a casual squad, 7 standalone rebel bases that I experiment with. One of the most interesting rebel bases I have, is a mini HQ 7. The twist with that level 7, is I kept the troops at level 5 and any op units at level 1. I almost never use an MTT for that mini, unless attacked by someone who does have them. Tit for Tat. Other than that, the gr is all I need for defense. On attacks, it's all ground infantry and vehicles and it's a fair fight, since the troop levels match the opponent levels. I actually get to mix and match all units, and they all have some value.

I think level 9 can work, but level 10 bases are useless. As a general rule, I think you will find going to level 9 or 10 with more than 2 turrets, just leads you to upgrading to Prestige anyway and there's not going to be any reason to keep it a mini. Then you will end up with 2 maxed bases. That's ok if that's your end game.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

CarthOnasi
Lieutenant

Post#10 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:32 pm

That sounds insanely boring staying low level and having no turrets and traps. Why only play part of the game. Im going to have everything prestige. Don't you get a sick feeling not having everything complete? Also this game is already a big time consumer. Who would ever have more than 1 base. You'd spend hours switching to each account to complete event check points. Just sounds like self torture to me.

Return to “General Discussions”