How To Be A Good Squad Leader.....and squad member.

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
GAT
Captain

Re: How to be a good squad leader.....

Post#41 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:15 am

Sure I’ll definitely come by if you need it’s always fun warring in different places

Toydarian
Major General

Post#42 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:22 am

DarthChoder wrote:Thanks again for the info.

I’m also new to this so I believe I should be patient with the members in my squad as hopefully they will be with me as I learn the ropes.

Will keep an eye on who’s active and inactive and give them the boot if required.
I selected 15 players from the most active and instigated a war and within a few hours we in prepare mode.
I thought it would take longer and wasn’t expecting it so soon.

Will see how this one pans out but thanks for the offers GAT and Ghostie.
Might take you up on the offer for the next war we do.

Some top notch advice here for you @DarthChoder, esp from some of the great vets, like mkenobi and pepsidoc, among others. I wish you the best of luck in your war.

Two pence worth from me: now that you have a match, encourage your guys to check out GSoW.net, to get as much prior intel as you can on your opponents..... we have always found it helps with target selection, as well as condition expectations!

EDIT:
One further thought: Those new to wars often do not fully understand how Outposts work. There is a great tutorial here:

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=23318
Leader of Derwiderst4nd (Rebel, Squad Level 50)
Podracer repairs by appointment only

TKTB51
Major General

Post#43 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:56 am

and remember to scout their bases, to find unprotected SC (yes, those still exist) or other weaknesses.

And once war starts, you can still look at their regular base to see what level their shields, turrets, etc are ... or, are now, which might be higher than they were when they were locked for war.
Player: TK-TB51 (leader)
Squad: DarkLords
Level 50 with all maxed out perks
Imperial (like you didn't know that already)

Founder of MEGA - "Make the Empire Great Again".

www.darklords.info (under construction)

lukeskywalker
Admiral

Post#44 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:50 pm

TKTB51 wrote:and remember to scout their bases, to find unprotected SC (yes, those still exist) or other weaknesses.

And once war starts, you can still look at their regular base to see what level their shields, turrets, etc are ... or, are now, which might be higher than they were when they were locked for war.

Unprotected SC's are way more common than they should be. I venture to guess about 10% of the war bases.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

lukeskywalker
Admiral

Post#45 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:56 pm

DarthChoder wrote:Thanks again for the info.

I’m also new to this so I believe I should be patient with the members in my squad as hopefully they will be with me as I learn the ropes.

Will keep an eye on who’s active and inactive and give them the boot if required.
I selected 15 players from the most active and instigated a war and within a few hours we in prepare mode.
I thought it would take longer and wasn’t expecting it so soon.

Will see how this one pans out but thanks for the offers GAT and Ghostie.
Might take you up on the offer for the next war we do.

DC,

Be careful booting players. You want to keep your squad level at 22-25 members. I found culling the squad at no more than 2 players at a time, the best way. It keeps the squad count up for autofill (although that may have clearly changed), and it gives you time to assess the new players that just came on board. It also gives you time to greet them, explain the basic rules, etc. Once the 2 spots fill and you on-board them, you can remove another 2. Keep it orderly.

Based on the war queue data from gsow.net, any squad that is mostly new players in the level 2-9 range and low medal counts, will get matched up very quickly. That's where most of the unmatched squads are clustered. There are far more Imperial squads though, so they will most likely be quickly matched with a fair matchup or a high level squad unfortunately. For rebel squads, it's probably far easier to get a matchup with a equivalent new squad in that HQ level 2-9 range. There are several similar squads already in the queue.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

DarthChoder
Commander

Post#46 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:06 am

I haven’t been on here for a couple of days but Thank you, thank you, thank you.

We were victorious in our first war (44-34) against a fellow empire base.
It was exciting and enjoyable and I have initiated the next battle.

I spent time on GSOW during the prep phase and realised the importance of the intel.
It helped a lot as I could see the activity of the opposition and there Sats etc....
I scoured every single enemy and our own bases and tried to come up with the best battle plan I could. (With what little experience I have).

In saying that, the leader of the opposition of that war was honourable and unfortunate as I believe around 40% of his crew were inactive.
This humbles me with our victory as I think it was a rather easy one and the next battle may be very different story.

I posted on our message thread in the game as many tips as possible as well as trying to educate the new guys as best I could as what to do.
Wasn’t a lot of responses from most of the team members but as a whole, most did their part.
I seemed to have gotten lucky with a majority of the team I selected and I am grateful.

I agree with being selective with the culling and patient.
I welcome them, give them time and then make the decisions on how to proceed with them.
Usually around 3-5 at a time are screened and haven’t had any issues with new members coming in.

All in all, it is so much fun and I get a bit of a rush from it.
So happy to be finally be involved, and a leader of my own squad and am grateful to my squad mates.

Keen for the next war. FOR THE EMPIRE!!!!!
Player: Darth Choder
Squad: SithLegion
Young but active squad - looking to grow. (Built not bought)
Join us....and feel the power of the dark side.

DarthChoder
Commander

Post#47 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:23 am

I will also try and direct new players to this forum as it is a world of great info and tips.
Here’s to you all. :)

DravenTheWicked
Commander

Post#48 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:55 am

@DarthChoder are you guys on Line? If so send me an invite. Line ID draventhewicked.

First and foremost, leader or not, it’s hard to get people together sometimes. I’m in no way trying to recruit in this post just sharing some of what we’ve been going through. Just trying to be a better squad or have better squad members overall. We have great leadership, That’s not the problem. It’s finding people who are reliable and decent players that will stick around, donate, participate more. We ask our players be active in squads wars, and on Line and communicating, working together. Is that too much?

Our squad lost quite a few members in the past months leading up until now, which sets us in a rebuilding phase... Went from 22-25 active to 10-15. its limited us from having enough active members to pull off a decent war without getting matched against a full squad of P bases (LoL) Or the randoma we are getting from auto fill get placed into war as we have to fill the spots. Which leaves us Top heavy with no lower Ops hitters and too many active players short of a successful war, again. It’s nerve racking and discouraging to say the least.

Thankful for the entire SWC LINE community, as that’s where we’ve found our new home with a couple of other squads low on members as well. It’s a great outlet for networking, alas, finding an agreement between squads sometimes it’s hard to make everyone happy and get them all on the same page. We’re still getting settled in new to all of this.

We currently share active players between 2/3squads in order to populate wars, only warring 1 time per week in our squad, 2 in our counterparts. There’s just not enough active players to go around and populate us both for war, but we’ll get there. One day all the hard work and will pay off. Or so we keep telling ourselves.

Recruiting is slow, everywhere. This Forum, Facebook Groups, Reddit, Line even. It’s like the player base is a majority of already established players, and the newcomers that do join all seem to just disappear into thin air anyways. Even after months/years of playing. Poof, gone.

We’re currently looking to get out into the SWC world, we utilize Line chat App if anyone has the time and could add or invite Line ID: draventhewicked. Even though we’re stacked up with some allies, still finding it hard to fill both squads for war this weekend. Were always willing to give back and like making friends. Having decent allies With dedicated and loyal players like ourselves it’s most excellent.

This thread in my opinion seems to be all about being a great squad member, as well as a leader and/or assistant. As I see it, it’s all about Respect. We should all Start treating other players with more respect. Maybe people would stick around longer and give each other the Chance to grow, and become better, mutually.

We can only hope.

At face value I would agree that anybody/everybody should be given the benefit of the doubt. Especially new players who are interested in the game. Treat them well and help everyone where you can, that’s the way I see it. Get them excited again about being here. It promotes better morale and everything better in full for the entire squad. When people are missing or keep leaving all the time, not taking the time to give things a chance to rebound, that’s the lowest pint when you realize you’ve got to do something about it. On the other hand, We’ve given some players all kinds of extensions and let players stay because they’ve begged us. Definitely Not whilst attempting to rebuild, we don’t have time for that. If you’ve been saying you’re coming back and active for war, but you fail to show and we hear nothing but excuses, that’s where we draw The line. Or so have learned recently. For awhile there we had 1/2 members leaving daily on their own besides losing wars and trying to keep the ship afloat so no more people leave. It’s hell, to just have to sit and watch that happen to your squad.

Most of the time IMhO Random players do not read in game chat messages and/or completely ignore the thing all together. We’ve gotten lucky on a few select ones through the times but it’s rare to pull a good player out of Autofill. I keep pushing Line on people in- game chat, haven’t gotten a new one for awhile or someone who can fully grasp what it is I’m asking them to do. Lots of noobish players. We need seasoned, experienced members for our wars. We’re more than willing to take new players on and let them grow and have fun. It would be nice to get experienced war players out of thin air but that isn’t always the case. We’re willing to take advice from anyone and everyone about how to get some help.

Anyone GAT or Ghostie, anybody willing and able to help us grow back to our former glory we would be so ever grateful. We have some seasoned players but as far as this goes we could use some guidance.

Thanks to everyone in the community for all the help.
Last edited by DravenTheWicked on Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join Death_Disciples Now!| lvl 50 Empire Squad. Nothing to lose! Willing to teach and help new players. Active 24:7 Daily donations conflicts/defense + War 1/2 times per week. Currently rebuilding.

We use Line App, please add ID: draventhewicked

TKTB51
Major General

Post#49 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:15 am

It's difficult. Game, Life, everything.

Our current squad was formed about 3 or so years ago. Many of us came from another squad - where the leader was a complete dictatorial fuckwad. He would order people around, tell them how to upgrade their bases, yell at them when they did it a different way, etc.

So ... after a few weeks of the rest of us "strategizing" in a FB messenger thread, we decided on the name and then started jumping. He went nuts, as expected, and then ... his squad fell to himself and one other and they both stopped playing and ... faded away.

Our new squad - we immediately went into back-to-back wars. We won something like 37 in a row, lost one, then won another 27 in a row, etc. So our current streak of losses ... feels awful, and with life, people changing jobs, a marriage, a death, one (or more) into rehab ... it's been tough to keep a group of that size together and focused on playing a game when ... frankly, other shit matters more.

But, that said, there are still a few of us who want to play and to win wars, so we keep at it, opening the door, working with noobs, training them, and occassionally a few of them work out.

Keep up the faith, believe in the Force, white side or dark side, it's all good.
Player: TK-TB51 (leader)
Squad: DarkLords
Level 50 with all maxed out perks
Imperial (like you didn't know that already)

Founder of MEGA - "Make the Empire Great Again".

www.darklords.info (under construction)

DarthChoder
Commander

Re: How To Be A Good Squad Leader.....

Post#50 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:37 pm

@DravenTheWicked.

I don’t have LINE yet but have been looking into it and Discord and can see what benefits are to be had.
Communication with the squad is sporadic with only a few that are consistent.

Some valid points bought up from yourself and TK in the above posts.
I’m not going to take this too seriously as it is just a game in the end. But, if I’m gonna do something, I’ll do my best.

I think for me to be a better leader, I should spend some time training in other war rooms with some gurus and extract and apply that knowledge to my own squad.

Respect is essential and should be mutual. I would hate for my squad mates to think I’m a douchebag.
I also see the need to lead them as they grow and most will probably surpass me.

Great info guys. Most appreciated.

Return to “General Discussions”