How to Enjoy SWC/Rise of Skywalker

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Re: How to Enjoy SWC/Rise of Skywalker

Post#21 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:52 am

Just bought advanced tickets for myself and my children, not the opening show though :)
It’s going to be great fun.

DarthStrutter
Commander

Post#22 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:55 am

mkenobi wrote:
DarthStrutter wrote:
mkenobi wrote:The problem with franchises, when they become visceral to the point of penetrating the collective unconscious, is that we continue to expect them to maintain the level of fascination and enjoyment from the first until the last moment.

DarthBratzzznew mentioned LOTR, I can mention series that I watched as X Files and recently Game of Thrones, that ended up going downhill when the creative process no longer met fan expectations.

Disney did this with TLJ, sought new avenues, but subverted expectations in a way that the film disappointed more than it pleased. I don't believe Episode 9 will be worse than TLJ, let alone that it will be worse than The Phantom Menace or The Holiday Special.

I will watch it of course, but without any expectation. The problem is, I really don't like the new characters, any of them. The best that could happen is if they all die in the end, as in Rogue One.

Sorry but that's a bad mentality. That's all on you, not on the movie or Disney. Simplify. If you can't sit down and enjoy a movie then you are the problem. If you feel you must pick a mivie apart to where you can't have fun watching a movie, again you are the problem. Movies, music, are supposed to be fun.

Sorry, but you don't know what you're saying. First, you cannot set a profile based on a single opinion, this is prejudice. Second, each one has a personal experience that cannot be ruled out when analyzing a movie. Fortunately, not everyone has the same opinion or we would just be a bunch of jerks talking bullshit all the time. Third, I agree with you that movies, music, and also books and TV shows should be fun, but it's not all movies, or songs, or books or TV shows that are fun. Common sense and coherent criticism are required in any artistic strand.

TLJ has failed in many ways as a cinematographic work. It failed even more as heir to a franchise that everyone always hopes for the best. If you liked it, great for you. I keep saying that if it wasn't for SW I would have regretted watching it, because as a cinematographic work it has not added anything to my experience as cinephile, or to the genre in which it is inserted. And as SW it's only no worse than Holiday Special, only.

Episode 9 may steal this position from Holiday and become the worst SW in history, or it may be the best of all, or at least it may be redemption for Disney and everyone at Lucasfilm, and show that there is intelligent life after George Lucas. And poorly written characters like Dameron, Finn or Rose who have gained so much screen time on TLJ without deserving it, may finally show some brilliance.

I hope to be surprised, in the positive sense, after all it's SW. One of the things I am proud of as cinephile is to have seen A New Hope in theaters long before it was called A New Hope, and obviously I'm not talking about the Special Edition. Every time I review the original trilogy, the same emotions of the past return, as if for the first time. Will I feel it ten, twenty years from now when I'm reviewing Episode 9? Hope so. But I am not optimistic.

And if you understand Portuguese, I invite you and everyone to visit my movie blog, "Assim Era Hollywood", as well as my blog about pop culture and Star Wars, "All That I Love" (in English and Portuguese).

MTFBWY

https://assimerahollywood.wordpress.com/
https://marciokenobi.wordpress.com/

Are you saying you don't see the flaws in A New Hope?

DarthStrutter
Commander

Post#23 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:58 am

ForceMel wrote:
DarthStrutter wrote:
ForceMel wrote:I was always someone who was a critic of movies. I always approach them the same way. Even when I was a kid, and saw them all in the theater. The first three really were solid movies, with small plot holes that can be overlooked. The second three weren't nearly as good, but fun at times. The Force Awakens was fun, but a direct copy of the first movie. The Last Jedi dashed a bunch of hope for me. It was more than terrible. I am holding out hope for The Rise of Skywalker.

100% disagree on TLJ. Every SW movie has flaws. Accept the flaws and move on. Otherwise stay home. We can't lose our sense of humor and ability to have fun. Overanalyzing a movie takes the fun out of it. I can do it with ROTJ but that has taken the fun out of it at times so i prefer not to.

So you like every single movie you see? Is that what you are saying? Sorry, but I fail to see the benefit of rewarding substandard work. It will only encourage more substandard work, and before you know it, all movies are crap because they won't care since you'll spend your money on it anyways.

Substandard in your opinion. That doesn't mean it's actually substandard. So many of you who don't like TLJ cling to your opinion as if it's fact, it is not. I can state my opinion but i won't in order to not start an argument. But i am also entitled to my opinion and i again 100% disagree with your opinion. Do you believe the OT are without flaws?

ForceMel
Major General

Post#24 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:04 pm

DarthStrutter wrote:
ForceMel wrote:
DarthStrutter wrote:100% disagree on TLJ. Every SW movie has flaws. Accept the flaws and move on. Otherwise stay home. We can't lose our sense of humor and ability to have fun. Overanalyzing a movie takes the fun out of it. I can do it with ROTJ but that has taken the fun out of it at times so i prefer not to.

So you like every single movie you see? Is that what you are saying? Sorry, but I fail to see the benefit of rewarding substandard work. It will only encourage more substandard work, and before you know it, all movies are crap because they won't care since you'll spend your money on it anyways.

Substandard in your opinion. That doesn't mean it's actually substandard. So many of you who don't like TLJ cling to your opinion as if it's fact, it is not. I can state my opinion but i won't in order to not start an argument. But i am also entitled to my opinion and i again 100% disagree with your opinion. Do you believe the OT are without flaws?

The 44% audience score at Rotten Tomatoes would indicate that I'm far from alone, and a strong reason why the franchise is in steep decline.
Leader of perennially top 15 squad IIReBeLsII and number 12 player of the now defunct Windows servers. Current leader of Rebelsyiir.

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#25 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:27 pm

DarkRebel wrote:Just bought advanced tickets for myself and my children, not the opening show though :)
It’s going to be great fun.

Yeah!
Leader ofSHADOW-GUARDrank140 148300k X
Looking forward to Ep9.

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#26 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:44 pm

ForceMel wrote:
DarthStrutter wrote:
ForceMel wrote:So you like every single movie you see? Is that what you are saying? Sorry, but I fail to see the benefit of rewarding substandard work. It will only encourage more substandard work, and before you know it, all movies are crap because they won't care since you'll spend your money on it anyways.

The 44% audience score at Rotten Tomatoes would indicate that I'm far from alone, and a strong reason why the franchise is in steep decline.

This adds some perspective:
https://youtu.be/YvfEc-WDjgY
Looking forward to Ep9.

ForceMel
Major General

Post#27 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:07 pm

Forceisweaknyou wrote:
ForceMel wrote:
DarthStrutter wrote:Substandard in your opinion. That doesn't mean it's actually substandard. So many of you who don't like TLJ cling to your opinion as if it's fact, it is not. I can state my opinion but i won't in order to not start an argument. But i am also entitled to my opinion and i again 100% disagree with your opinion. Do you believe the OT are without flaws?

I watched the video, and while interesting, doesn't seem to address the fact that Star Wars as a franchise is in trouble. It isn't in trouble because it's putting out great movies. It isn't in trouble because fans just want the old style movies. There are other reasons it's in trouble. Those I know, who are plugged into the star Wars community much deeper than I, have had the same reaction I did when seeing the movie. They, like I, are anxiously waiting on the next movie, hoping they will put out a solid movie, and revive the franchise. As for the discrepancy between the critics and audience, I can't say if those who reviewed it actually had seen it, but I can say there does seem to be an agenda by the critics, in that they critique movies not based on whether the movie is good, but by some other criteria. It is instructive to view this score to underscore that:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dave_c ... nd_stones/

As it is, I really don't trust critics to tell me if a movie is good or not, as what I like may not be what they like, and at this point, I don't feel like critics are looking at the same criteria as I when critiquing a film.
Leader of perennially top 15 squad IIReBeLsII and number 12 player of the now defunct Windows servers. Current leader of Rebelsyiir.

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#28 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:20 pm

ForceMel wrote:
Forceisweaknyou wrote:
ForceMel wrote:The 44% audience score at Rotten Tomatoes would indicate that I'm far from alone, and a strong reason why the franchise is in steep decline.

I watched the video, and while interesting, doesn't seem to address the fact that Star Wars as a franchise is in trouble. It isn't in trouble because it's putting out great movies. It isn't in trouble because fans just want the old style movies. There are other reasons it's in trouble. Those I know, who are plugged into the star Wars community much deeper than I, have had the same reaction I did when seeing the movie. They, like I, are anxiously waiting on the next movie, hoping they will put out a solid movie, and revive the franchise. As for the discrepancy between the critics and audience, I can't say if those who reviewed it actually had seen it, but I can say there does seem to be an agenda by the critics, in that they critique movies not based on whether the movie is good, but by some other criteria. It is instructive to view this score to underscore that:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dave_c ... nd_stones/

As it is, I really don't trust critics to tell me if a movie is good or not, as what I like may not be what they like, and at this point, I don't feel like critics are looking at the same criteria as I when critiquing a film.

Chappelle ftw. Guy cracks me up. "Baby it's 3am what you doin on the corner!?" :lol:
Ep9 has so much potential. It could exacerbate the Ep8 concerns some have shared, or it could be a fantastic send off a la Endgame. Here's hoping for the latter!
Looking forward to Ep9.

geoman48
Admiral

Post#29 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:32 pm

Forceisweaknyou wrote:
geoman48 wrote:
Forceisweaknyou wrote:1. Let yourself be a kid again. For most of us that enjoyed the original trilogy in theaters we are now in our 40s and 50s. Don't overly criticize the game or movie. What recent movie has made you feel that sense of adventure and enthrallment that we felt viewing Return of the Jedi, Goonies, Temple of Doom, Etc? We have been through the various stages of life to this point and faced its stresses responsibilities and angst. Let yourself enjoy it as you once did. Frankly I'm disappointed that a movie like The Joker Is as popular as it is. While it's cinematography and performances and soundtrack are impressive, the message from the movie is bitterly pessimistic and depressing and has inspired real world anarchy and destruction in Chile and other countries.

2. Don't let the spark go out. The spark that lights the fire. Do what you always wanted to do. Have an adventure. Take the trip. Hop the fence. Sneak into the movies. Kiss the girl. You don't have to quit your job and move to Acapulco. Did you want to be a racecar driver? Take your kids to the go-kart track and have a blast. Remember what made life fun and go for it.

Mtfbwy

This is my favorite new thread. Well said OP. :-)

Thank you sir.
And I'll share one of my favorite passages: 1 Cor. 13:12

“For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭13:12‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Ghostie
Major General

Post#30 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:29 am

Really looking forward to The Mandalorian next week as I just got my subscription to Disney+. I hope it lives up to my lofty expectations. I will probably see RoS a couple weeks after the opening....but not really looking forward to it. I could ramble on about the flaws, but why throw salt in the Kool Aid.

I will say though that ObiWan2k16's comments in the Marvel/SW thread viewtopic.php?f=31&t=24353&start=20 and everything Plagueis said in the Solo thread viewtopic.php?f=31&t=22396 echo my sentiments on how the direction of the franchise is going. :cry:

Not a complete Debbie Downer on everything SW though... I am positively optimistic about The Mandalorian! Please don't let me down and reignite that fire Disney! :D
Some men aren't looking for any logical solution. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Return to “General Discussions”