How to Enjoy SWC/Rise of Skywalker

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
geoman48
Admiral

Re: How to Enjoy SWC/Rise of Skywalker

Post#11 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:46 am

Forceisweaknyou wrote:1. Let yourself be a kid again. For most of us that enjoyed the original trilogy in theaters we are now in our 40s and 50s. Don't overly criticize the game or movie. What recent movie has made you feel that sense of adventure and enthrallment that we felt viewing Return of the Jedi, Goonies, Temple of Doom, Etc? We have been through the various stages of life to this point and faced its stresses responsibilities and angst. Let yourself enjoy it as you once did. Frankly I'm disappointed that a movie like The Joker Is as popular as it is. While it's cinematography and performances and soundtrack are impressive, the message from the movie is bitterly pessimistic and depressing and has inspired real world anarchy and destruction in Chile and other countries.

2. Don't let the spark go out. The spark that lights the fire. Do what you always wanted to do. Have an adventure. Take the trip. Hop the fence. Sneak into the movies. Kiss the girl. You don't have to quit your job and move to Acapulco. Did you want to be a racecar driver? Take your kids to the go-kart track and have a blast. Remember what made life fun and go for it.

Mtfbwy

This is my favorite new thread. Well said OP. :-)
Last edited by DeathStriker on Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Topic Post - Added Quote for Clarity

ForceMel
Major General

Post#12 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:41 pm

I was always someone who was a critic of movies. I always approach them the same way. Even when I was a kid, and saw them all in the theater. The first three really were solid movies, with small plot holes that can be overlooked. The second three weren't nearly as good, but fun at times. The Force Awakens was fun, but a direct copy of the first movie. The Last Jedi dashed a bunch of hope for me. It was more than terrible. I am holding out hope for The Rise of Skywalker.
Leader of perennially top 15 squad IIReBeLsII and number 12 player of the now defunct Windows servers. Current leader of Rebelsyiir.

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#13 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:51 pm

geoman48 wrote:
Forceisweaknyou wrote:1. Let yourself be a kid again. For most of us that enjoyed the original trilogy in theaters we are now in our 40s and 50s. Don't overly criticize the game or movie. What recent movie has made you feel that sense of adventure and enthrallment that we felt viewing Return of the Jedi, Goonies, Temple of Doom, Etc? We have been through the various stages of life to this point and faced its stresses responsibilities and angst. Let yourself enjoy it as you once did. Frankly I'm disappointed that a movie like The Joker Is as popular as it is. While it's cinematography and performances and soundtrack are impressive, the message from the movie is bitterly pessimistic and depressing and has inspired real world anarchy and destruction in Chile and other countries.

2. Don't let the spark go out. The spark that lights the fire. Do what you always wanted to do. Have an adventure. Take the trip. Hop the fence. Sneak into the movies. Kiss the girl. You don't have to quit your job and move to Acapulco. Did you want to be a racecar driver? Take your kids to the go-kart track and have a blast. Remember what made life fun and go for it.

Mtfbwy

This is my favorite new thread. Well said OP. :-)

Thank you sir.
And I'll share one of my favorite passages: 1 Cor. 13:12
Leader ofSHADOW-GUARDrank140 148300k X
Looking forward to Ep9.

DarthStrutter
Commander

Post#14 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:55 pm

mkenobi wrote:The problem with franchises, when they become visceral to the point of penetrating the collective unconscious, is that we continue to expect them to maintain the level of fascination and enjoyment from the first until the last moment.

DarthBratzzznew mentioned LOTR, I can mention series that I watched as X Files and recently Game of Thrones, that ended up going downhill when the creative process no longer met fan expectations.

Disney did this with TLJ, sought new avenues, but subverted expectations in a way that the film disappointed more than it pleased. I don't believe Episode 9 will be worse than TLJ, let alone that it will be worse than The Phantom Menace or The Holiday Special.

I will watch it of course, but without any expectation. The problem is, I really don't like the new characters, any of them. The best that could happen is if they all die in the end, as in Rogue One.

Sorry but that's a bad mentality. That's all on you, not on the movie or Disney. Simplify. If you can't sit down and enjoy a movie then you are the problem. If you feel you must pick a mivie apart to where you can't have fun watching a movie, again you are the problem. Movies, music, are supposed to be fun.

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#15 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:59 pm

ForceMel wrote:I was always someone who was a critic of movies. I always approach them the same way. Even when I was a kid, and saw them all in the theater. The first three really were solid movies, with small plot holes that can be overlooked. The second three weren't nearly as good, but fun at times. The Force Awakens was fun, but a direct copy of the first movie. The Last Jedi dashed a bunch of hope for me. It was more than terrible. I am holding out hope for The Rise of Skywalker.

I respect that. It is Art and we are certainly entitled to our own opinions. I agree the force awakens was entirely too derivative. But it was so well done that I appreciated its glossy performance. I loved episode 8. The opening night midnight showing I attended received it with wild enthusiasm. I think the complaining about it snowballed a bit too far in my opinion. Episode 9 trailers look amazing. I get a similar vibe from and the game. A lot of homage & fan service and sentimental character Arc resolution. Can't wait
Looking forward to Ep9.

DarthStrutter
Commander

Post#16 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:59 pm

ForceMel wrote:I was always someone who was a critic of movies. I always approach them the same way. Even when I was a kid, and saw them all in the theater. The first three really were solid movies, with small plot holes that can be overlooked. The second three weren't nearly as good, but fun at times. The Force Awakens was fun, but a direct copy of the first movie. The Last Jedi dashed a bunch of hope for me. It was more than terrible. I am holding out hope for The Rise of Skywalker.

100% disagree on TLJ. Every SW movie has flaws. Accept the flaws and move on. Otherwise stay home. We can't lose our sense of humor and ability to have fun. Overanalyzing a movie takes the fun out of it. I can do it with ROTJ but that has taken the fun out of it at times so i prefer not to.

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#17 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:39 pm

DarthStrutter wrote:
mkenobi wrote:The problem with franchises, when they become visceral to the point of penetrating the collective unconscious, is that we continue to expect them to maintain the level of fascination and enjoyment from the first until the last moment.

DarthBratzzznew mentioned LOTR, I can mention series that I watched as X Files and recently Game of Thrones, that ended up going downhill when the creative process no longer met fan expectations.

Disney did this with TLJ, sought new avenues, but subverted expectations in a way that the film disappointed more than it pleased. I don't believe Episode 9 will be worse than TLJ, let alone that it will be worse than The Phantom Menace or The Holiday Special.

I will watch it of course, but without any expectation. The problem is, I really don't like the new characters, any of them. The best that could happen is if they all die in the end, as in Rogue One.

Sorry but that's a bad mentality. That's all on you, not on the movie or Disney. Simplify. If you can't sit down and enjoy a movie then you are the problem. If you feel you must pick a mivie apart to where you can't have fun watching a movie, again you are the problem. Movies, music, are supposed to be fun.

Sorry, but you don't know what you're saying. First, you cannot set a profile based on a single opinion, this is prejudice. Second, each one has a personal experience that cannot be ruled out when analyzing a movie. Fortunately, not everyone has the same opinion or we would just be a bunch of jerks talking bullshit all the time. Third, I agree with you that movies, music, and also books and TV shows should be fun, but it's not all movies, or songs, or books or TV shows that are fun. Common sense and coherent criticism are required in any artistic strand.

TLJ has failed in many ways as a cinematographic work. It failed even more as heir to a franchise that everyone always hopes for the best. If you liked it, great for you. I keep saying that if it wasn't for SW I would have regretted watching it, because as a cinematographic work it has not added anything to my experience as cinephile, or to the genre in which it is inserted. And as SW it's only no worse than Holiday Special, only.

Episode 9 may steal this position from Holiday and become the worst SW in history, or it may be the best of all, or at least it may be redemption for Disney and everyone at Lucasfilm, and show that there is intelligent life after George Lucas. And poorly written characters like Dameron, Finn or Rose who have gained so much screen time on TLJ without deserving it, may finally show some brilliance.

I hope to be surprised, in the positive sense, after all it's SW. One of the things I am proud of as cinephile is to have seen A New Hope in theaters long before it was called A New Hope, and obviously I'm not talking about the Special Edition. Every time I review the original trilogy, the same emotions of the past return, as if for the first time. Will I feel it ten, twenty years from now when I'm reviewing Episode 9? Hope so. But I am not optimistic.

And if you understand Portuguese, I invite you and everyone to visit my movie blog, "Assim Era Hollywood", as well as my blog about pop culture and Star Wars, "All That I Love" (in English and Portuguese).

MTFBWY

https://assimerahollywood.wordpress.com/
https://marciokenobi.wordpress.com/
SWC Windows survivor.

Imperial Prestige / Rebel Prestige on vacation and trying new games.
If you are Rebel join "Solo's_Band" (war squad) or "Ewok_revenge" (training squad)

ForceMel
Major General

Post#18 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:59 am

DarthStrutter wrote:

100% disagree on TLJ. Every SW movie has flaws. Accept the flaws and move on. Otherwise stay home. We can't lose our sense of humor and ability to have fun. Overanalyzing a movie takes the fun out of it. I can do it with ROTJ but that has taken the fun out of it at times so i prefer not to.

So you like every single movie you see? Is that what you are saying? Sorry, but I fail to see the benefit of rewarding substandard work. It will only encourage more substandard work, and before you know it, all movies are crap because they won't care since you'll spend your money on it anyways.
Leader of perennially top 15 squad IIReBeLsII and number 12 player of the now defunct Windows servers. Current leader of Rebelsyiir.

DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Post#19 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:27 am

Mtfbwy

While I agree with you, mkenobi made a good point that everyone is different and can approach things their own way.
As long as one lives by his/her true self, being overly critical or not, then there is nothing wrong with that.

I do enjoy reading critical reviews, regardless of whether I agree with them, as long as they are fair.

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#20 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:42 am

DarkRebel wrote:

Mtfbwy

While I agree with you, mkenobi made a good point that everyone is different and can approach things their own way.
As long as one lives by his/her true self, being overly critical or not, then there is nothing wrong with that.

I do enjoy reading critical reviews, regardless of whether I agree with them, as long as they are fair.

+1
Looking forward to Ep9.

Return to “General Discussions”