How to Enjoy SWC/Rise of Skywalker

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

How to Enjoy SWC/Rise of Skywalker

Post#1 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:13 am

1. Let yourself be a kid again. For most of us that enjoyed the original trilogy in theaters we are now in our 40s and 50s. Don't overly criticize the game or movie. What recent movie has made you feel that sense of adventure and enthrallment that we felt viewing Return of the Jedi, Goonies, Temple of Doom, Etc? We have been through the various stages of life to this point and faced its stresses responsibilities and angst. Let yourself enjoy it as you once did. Frankly I'm disappointed that a movie like The Joker Is as popular as it is. While it's cinematography and performances and soundtrack are impressive, the message from the movie is bitterly pessimistic and depressing and has inspired real world anarchy and destruction in Chile and other countries.

2. Don't let the spark go out. The spark that lights the fire. Do what you always wanted to do. Have an adventure. Take the trip. Hop the fence. Sneak into the movies. Kiss the girl. You don't have to quit your job and move to Acapulco. Did you want to be a racecar driver? Take your kids to the go-kart track and have a blast. Remember what made life fun and go for it.

Mtfbwy
Leader ofSHADOW-GUARDrank140 148300k X
Looking forward to Ep9.

Spock
Grand Admiral

Re: How to Enjoy SWC/Rise of Skywalker

Post#2 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:17 pm

I know I’ll enjoy it. It might not be the best Star Wars ever but I’ll still smile when I see the ships fly or the lightsabers clash. Even the sounds will give me chills.
It won’t be hard for me to focus on what I like about it over what I didn’t like. Or what it could have been.

Leader of the Imperial_Enclave.

Check out our YouTube channel with Almost 1,500 no outpost replays being shared. Quite possibly the largest collection of commander replays out there.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCW4iVRbrSDJHTBZobNNy7LA

TKTB51
Major General

Post#3 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:48 pm

as long as they keep it "real", such as a ship going into hyperdrive into another ship and there being no sound for the "explosion" in space ...

that was the most chilling part of that movie - the entirely silent (which is realistic) collision.

I'm prepared to just sit and chill and hopefully smile and laugh and clap.
Player: TK-TB51 (leader)
Squad: DarkLords
Level 50 with all maxed out perks
Imperial (like you didn't know that already)

Founder of MEGA - "Make the Empire Great Again".

www.darklords.info (under construction)

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#4 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:39 pm

Spock wrote:I know I’ll enjoy it. It might not be the best Star Wars ever but I’ll still smile when I see the ships fly or the lightsabers clash. Even the sounds will give me chills.
It won’t be hard for me to focus on what I like about it over what I didn’t like. Or what it could have been.

The logic is strong in this one...
Looking forward to Ep9.

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#5 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:42 pm

TKTB51 wrote:as long as they keep it "real", such as a ship going into hyperdrive into another ship and there being no sound for the "explosion" in space ...

that was the most chilling part of that movie - the entirely silent (which is realistic) collision.

I'm prepared to just sit and chill and hopefully smile and laugh and clap.

+1 I love attending the thursday night premiere on the big screen. The hard core fans cheer the Lucasfilm logo and every key moment throughout.
Looking forward to Ep9.

DarthBratzzznew
Admiral

Post#6 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:51 am

Gents,
I appreciate the sound and feel of this thread. Every word said here has an undertone of positive psychology. Just enjoy the ride and don't bother too much with what it could have been in your own perceptions.
That way, this new movie may have a good chance of not being a disappointment to us and even be fun once more.

I experienced the same process about a decade ago with the LOTR Trilogy and afterwards The Hobbit sequels. I am far more a Tolkien than a Star Wars fan -call me a Middle Earth Historian geek if you will- and at first I was extremely critical about many threads of the original written story being omitted or warped in the movie and moreover about the romance between Aragorn and Arwen being given much more prominence. After some reflection and thinking however, it made sense to me. Not everyone can be expected to have read the trilogy -at all, in full and certainly not to have done so three times over at least…

Once I realized that I needed to stay slightly more realistic and lower my expectations, I far more enjoyed the movies, the action and the fast pace, where in the book things are moving much more slowly. In fact, they managed in the movies to give many characters way more depth than just being all-good and damn boring righteous infallible cloned Elves. All-bad stupid cowardly weak cloned Orcs and so on.

Roads go ever ever on,
over rock and under tree,
by caves never sun has shone,
by streams that never find the sea…

Regards,
Darth Bratzzz
Proud Officer of the CircleOf Family of squads. Many experienced and motivated longtime high-level players; regular/against OP/NO OP wars, to each his own. English spoken. Worldwide brotherhood of rebel scourges :twisted:

TKTB51
Major General

Post#7 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:36 am

speak friend and enter.

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#8 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:51 am

The problem with franchises, when they become visceral to the point of penetrating the collective unconscious, is that we continue to expect them to maintain the level of fascination and enjoyment from the first until the last moment.

DarthBratzzznew mentioned LOTR, I can mention series that I watched as X Files and recently Game of Thrones, that ended up going downhill when the creative process no longer met fan expectations.

Disney did this with TLJ, sought new avenues, but subverted expectations in a way that the film disappointed more than it pleased. I don't believe Episode 9 will be worse than TLJ, let alone that it will be worse than The Phantom Menace or The Holiday Special.

I will watch it of course, but without any expectation. The problem is, I really don't like the new characters, any of them. The best that could happen is if they all die in the end, as in Rogue One.
SWC Windows survivor.

Imperial Prestige / Rebel Prestige on vacation and trying new games.
If you are Rebel join "Solo's_Band" (war squad) or "Ewok_revenge" (training squad)

TKTB51
Major General

Post#9 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:43 pm

mkenobi wrote:The best that could happen is if they all die in the end, as in Rogue One.

"The Rise of Sky-Hamlet".

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#10 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:07 pm

TKTB51 wrote:
mkenobi wrote:The best that could happen is if they all die in the end, as in Rogue One.

"The Rise of Sky-Hamlet".

Lol to be or to be not (is that how yoda would say it?)
Looking forward to Ep9.

Return to “General Discussions”