New Squad Members - Do You Require They Have a Minimum Number of Medals?

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
TKTB51
Commander

Re: attracting new squad members - do you require medals?

Post#11 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:33 pm

So ... I have about 45k medals, far more than anyone else in my squad.

Is that impacting our war matchups in any way? Or is a matching done solely by base scores? Of the squad as a whole or solely those in the war?

Trying to understand our most recent matchup, which was ... lopsided, at least from the perspective of the levels of bases in the two forces.
Player: TK-TB51 (leader)
Squad: DarkLords
Level 50 with all maxed out perks
Imperial (like you didn't know that already)

TKTB51
Commander

Post#12 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:34 pm

I'm 45k of the total of 163k of the squad.

Next is 31k, but he's the previous leader and is inactive.

Next is 19k, so it tails off quite rapidly after these.

TKTB51
Commander

Post#13 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:35 pm

<hats off to the GSOW website for very useful and centralized stats>

FinrodFelagund
Major General

Post#14 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:45 pm

DarkRebel wrote:Don’t jump on conclusion that everyone drops medals to be able to advance.
No one in both my rebel and IMP squads drop medals. We are playing to win, every single battle.
I don’t comment on how others play, but I hope people don’t make the conclusion that the only way to play this game is to drop medals. It is certainly harder to play at higher medal count, but not impossible. Just harder.

In my squad we don’t care about medals, but since I recently maxed out the common drag pool, my next goal is to max my medals, if I want real bases I attack them, if I need gears, I find Dev bases. I medal dumped once, over four years ago, and I saw no difference, each person’s view of “good” matches is different.
If you want a medal requirement set one; of not, don’t.
And regarding Squad War Matchmaking, it is a common belief that medals affect it; however we have no proof that is the case, only individual anecdotal (meaning their personal view unsubstantiated by verifiable data) accounts justifying this claim. I happen to believe that medals do not count in Squad War Matchmaking.
We used bows, then we discovered bowcasters.
The Pointy-eared folk have a couple openings

DeathStriker

Re: New Squad Members - Do You Require They Have a Minimum Number of Medals?

Post#15 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:00 am

TKTB51 wrote:attracting new squad members - do you require medals?

subject line says it all - do you require a certain number of medals for a new member to join your squad?

why or why not?

There IS a Minimum of 0 to 3000 Medals Required that is set when a Squad is "Open to All" but if a Squad is set to "Request Only" then the Minimum Medals is 0.

That said, some Squads have a arbitrary "Minimal Medal Count", mostly to show you have "experience", and perhaps "dedication", as well as to aid the Squad get in to and stay in the Top-50 on the In-Game Squad Leaderboard.

For Squads that consider a Players Medal Count Important if a Player, after Joining, doesn't meet the Squads arbitrary "Minimal Medal Count" then often will get booted.

:arrow: The Squads that I am related with DO NOT care about a Players Medal Count. We only care that a Player is "active" and follow Squad Donation Rules (i.e. send what Player requests if they specify what they want).

TKTB51 wrote:related question - do you or your squad mates "medal dump" by 'failing attacks' to get lower medal counts? Does it help you? Can you document that it does help you? I've seen statements that it does, but don't see evidence.

TKTB51 - Your Matchmaking is based on your Adjusted Base Score (ABS) and a game Internal Matchmaking Formula (IMF). Your ABS is calculated as follows:

Adjusted Base Score (ABS) = Base Score * (0.00004 * Medals + 0.99)
Since the IMF picks Opponents within a "range" based upon your ABS then anything you can do to change / lower your ABS will result in seeing more Same Level or Lower Level Opponents then Upper Level Opponents.

Players effect the ABS by:

• Keeping Base Score lower by not building most Defenses and other Structures. You can find the VALUES for each Structures as it related to Base Score on the SWC Wiki here.
  • Keeping Medals lower by dumping Medals (purposely losing) until a certain amount is reached according to the Players desired "threshold".
Players have no effect on the IMF other than effecting the ABS.

Adding to this Topic...

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

TKTB51
Commander

Post#16 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:18 am

yep, I looked at GSOW and at some of the "sandbagger" squads - whoa - it takes a ton of work and/or money to build a prestige level base with only the base level of resource generators.

I guess it's all done via raiding.

Prestige players with base score under 900. Whodathunkit?

To each, his/her/their own.

TK1973
Squadron Leader

Post#17 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:05 am

I am not fussed within my squad about medal counts. Personally I am more interested in HQ level. I don’t like the ones who apply to just fulfill that early part of the game. I am looking for people who want to take part, war and have fun!
Leader of LusherForce and part of a great leadership group

lukeskywalker
Major General

Post#18 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:27 pm

DeathStriker wrote:[cut]
TKTB51 - Your Matchmaking is based on your Adjusted Base Score (ABS) and a game Internal Matchmaking Formula (IMF). Your ABS is calculated as follows:

Since the IMF picks Opponents within a "range" based upon your ABS then anything you can do to change / lower your ABS will result in seeing more Same Level or Lower Level Opponents then Upper Level Opponents.

While I agree in the concept of an adjusted base score, the adjustment seems too steep for medal count. If I'm understanding the formula properly, here's a comparison:

Prestige base with base score of 3,200 and 10,000 medals
Adjusted base score = 4,448 = 3,200*(0.0004*10,000+0.99)

Level 9 base with base score of 2,000 and 30,000 medals
Adjusted base score = 4,380 = 2,000*(0.0004*30,000+0.99)

That would explain why PvP matchmaking is so messed up for level 9's. Most level 9 bases would have base scores north of 2,000 and would then be matched up with Prestige bases with low medal counts. Medal gate and medal dumping have probably both had an impact in this regard. Big picture, medal count becomes half of your adjusted base score at around 25K medals and grows to over 85% of your adjusted base score at 160K medals.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

Shelendil
Admiral

Post#19 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:39 pm

The higher levels didn't exist when the formula was created. It probably looked a lot more reasonable then.
ShadyRebels24
You know you wanna be shady ;)

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#20 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:56 pm

lukeskywalker wrote:
DeathStriker wrote:[cut]

While I agree in the concept of an adjusted base score, the adjustment seems too steep for medal count. If I'm understanding the formula properly, here's a comparison:

Prestige base with base score of 3,200 and 10,000 medals
Adjusted base score = 4,448 = 3,200*(0.0004*10,000+0.99)

Level 9 base with base score of 2,000 and 30,000 medals
Adjusted base score = 4,380 = 2,000*(0.0004*30,000+0.99)

That would explain why PvP matchmaking is so messed up for level 9's. Most level 9 bases would have base scores north of 2,000 and would then be matched up with Prestige bases with low medal counts. Medal gate and medal dumping have probably both had an impact in this regard. Big picture, medal count becomes half of your adjusted base score at around 25K medals and grows to over 85% of your adjusted base score at 160K medals.

Sorry, but don't talk about numbers and formulas, I have a problem with both, but what the hell, my Rebel HQ 9 was a sandbagging with 6 turrets level 1, but with 35k medals, this base only finds full Prestiges bases now.

I'm not talking about sandbaggings Prestiges, but Prestiges with lots of Prestige buffed turrets. If I want to find something I can attack, I need to skip dozens of bases. I Checked Gsow: BS = 1545, and current on 30813 medals.

I could simply delete this account, but I'm dropping medals (it will take time), and building and upgrading my turrets, it won't be sandbagging anymore, but a medal dump base. I believe Matchmaking works better if you have a full base with strong defenses but keep your number of medals too low.

I also think +30k medals is where the matchmaking goes to a way that leads only for monster bases, not matter if you are sandbagging or full base.
SWC Windows survivor.

Imperial Prestige / Rebel Prestige on vacation and trying new games.
If you are Rebel join "Solo's_Band" (war squad) or "Ewok_revenge" (training squad)

Return to “General Discussions”