Bad strategy driving players away!

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
Lord
Commodore

Bad strategy driving players away!

Post#1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:56 am

Overall player is decreasing for about 500 in last two month, due to the bad strategy, too much events after too much conflicts, continous conflicts drive players away by boring, continous events drive players away by tiring, we may foresee the further decrease in player numbers in the future if no changes are made.
A proper division of conflicts and events is one week event per month, which is neither too boring nor tiring, however, due to the easiness of writing the codes, programmers have a trend of making conflicts and events together(you can see the fact that every conflict last at least four week and every event last at least three weeks with a upgrading before that).
SO, if it increase cost more than the gain to make conflicts and events change more rapidly, the future of the game wouldn't be bright, after all you are company Z, you can't put all the hope into the movie advertising effect like D factory, only.thing they can do is about the game itself, and as the revenue decrease by time in this game, they make kill it and make use of the IP on other games.

Lord
Commodore

Re: Bad strategy driving players away!

Post#2 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:06 am

It's common for players quitting when there is long time of conflicts, but in my squard, players leave because of tired to continuing events. Conflict only make them less active, but lots of events make them too tired to have interest and they thought they will fall behind once they stop irreversibly, so they decide to quit to avoid being annoyed by this game.
Having boring conflicts only make you open this app less often, but events with no time and effort to fight for make people angry.
Anger is always the biggest cause of deleting a game!

ImperialTyrant
Storm Trooper

Post#3 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:23 am

What bores me now is that my war crates have no frags. Devs need to open up more items for war crates. Players should always get something for winning a war. Gotta keep the almost maxed players interested!!!!

lukeskywalker
Major General

Post#4 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:20 pm

I think the current format of conflicts and events are there, because it drives income and because many players requested the return of events. I don't think this changes until another income generating format is introduced. That will be hard to pull off, since many casual players who gravitate to F2P games will not invest dollars into the game. That leaves most of these types of games catering to the 2% to 5% of the game population that funds the game.

The irony is that you don't need to chase frags if you choose a mini base strategy. Yet this strategy is frowned upon by the very group that often complains about frag chasing and the time consumed. You won't need events or conflicts, and can still have fun with a mini base strategy. But I suspect the players that grumble about conflicts and events, still want to be the king of the hill and want the best and highest level units. That desire to be the best is what causes players to enter this catch 22 scenario. It's a self inflicted wound.

I think coming up with money making ideas that don't require insane amount of time invested, is what needs to be brought to the table. Simply saying something is not working, does not solve anything. The current F2P games are based on the old drug dealer SOP. Give the product away for free initially, and get those that become addicted locked into paying down the road. They bank on you being OCD, once you step into their arena.
Last edited by lukeskywalker on Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

bob1084
Commodore

Post#5 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:22 pm

ImperialTyrant wrote:What bores me now is that my war crates have no frags. Devs need to open up more items for war crates. Players should always get something for winning a war. Gotta keep the almost maxed players interested!!!!

This is a really good idea. The crates at first helped some get loot but now that the economy is so crazy it’s uneeded and 10 frags (I am with you no getting 0 frags) was always a joke for the time and effort it took to win a war OP or no OP. War for a lot is what is keeping them playing at all, the rewards should be drastically scaled, even returning a portion of the air you used as hq samples. Something to keep people interested and hitting the search button (frags also obviously)

lukeskywalker
Major General

Post#6 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:39 pm

bob1084 wrote:
ImperialTyrant wrote:What bores me now is that my war crates have no frags. Devs need to open up more items for war crates. Players should always get something for winning a war. Gotta keep the almost maxed players interested!!!!

This is a really good idea. The crates at first helped some get loot but now that the economy is so crazy it’s uneeded and 10 frags (I am with you no getting 0 frags) was always a joke for the time and effort it took to win a war OP or no OP. War for a lot is what is keeping them playing at all, the rewards should be drastically scaled, even returning a portion of the air you used as hq samples. Something to keep people interested and hitting the search button (frags also obviously)

They need to change the war format. The time frame of 24 hours is too long, outposts and matchup issues also need to be solved, and I agree that the crate contents need to be improved. They should also come up with a format that reduces ties. Here are my suggestions:

1) Keep the current format for players that want F2P wars.
2) Add a P2P option for wars that has more flexibility in war roster sizes. E.g. 5, 10, 15 member wars.
3) You would select your squad of 5, 10 or 15 players and an algorithm would assign a "squad strength" based on HQ levels and to a much lesser degree the base scores. You want fair matchups, so you don't want an advantage for mini base squads.
4) The P2P option would have a live pool of matchups, that you could view and "challenge". Key stats like "squad strength" and war won/loss record would be displayed.
5) The opposition could accept or decline. The challenge screen would display the contestants within your bracket, based on "squad strength" within a certain "fair" range.
6) Once the challenge is accepted, there's a 24 hour prep period like there is now, but the war window can be shrunk down given that you are selecting the squad sizes and outpost chasing is not an issue. You fire your bullets when you want and once you are out, you are done. It becomes a skill/attack efficiency game.
7) Defensive and offensive outposts would be assigned as needed by the algorithm, and only used when necessary to even the playing field. The impact of outposts would most likely need to be nerfed significantly from where they are now, so the odds of getting ties would be greatly reduced and 3 stars would need to be earned and not served up on a silver platter.
lukeskywalker
Leader

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

sneakyzapper
Major General

Post#7 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:24 pm

I like the time off for once vs endless conflicts.

The last two events were maxed out and finished for me the first week of them from having it done before as well.

That gave 6 weeks off just in two events then other conflicts maxed too.

Nice vacations from this is not bad always.

Sometimes doing endless things needed can be too much though.

Thats player choice though.

Lord
Commodore

Post#8 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:33 pm

lukeskywalker wrote:I think the current format of conflicts and events are there, because it drives income and because many players requested the return of events. I don't think this changes until another income generating format is introduced. That will be hard to pull off, since many casual players who gravitate to F2P games will not invest dollars into the game. That leaves most of these types of games catering to the 2% to 5% of the game population that funds the game.

The irony is that you don't need to chase frags if you choose a mini base strategy. Yet this strategy is frowned upon by the very group that often complains about frag chasing and the time consumed. You won't need events or conflicts, and can still have fun with a mini base strategy. But I suspect the players that grumble about conflicts and events, still want to be the king of the hill and want the best and highest level units. That desire to be the best is what causes players to enter this catch 22 scenario. It's a self inflicted wound.

I think coming up with money making ideas that don't require insane amount of time invested, is what needs to be brought to the table. Simply saying something is not working, does not solve anything. The current F2P games are based on the old drug dealer SOP. Give the product away for free initially, and get those that become addicted locked into paying down the road. They bank on you being OCD, once you step into their arena.

Changing conflict and event more frequently can help and doesn't need as much cost as creating a new playing method. But this change can only keep more players and not guarentee increase in profit.

lukeskywalker
Major General

Post#9 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:23 pm

Lord wrote:
lukeskywalker wrote:I think the current format of conflicts and events are there, because it drives income and because many players requested the return of events. I don't think this changes until another income generating format is introduced. That will be hard to pull off, since many casual players who gravitate to F2P games will not invest dollars into the game. That leaves most of these types of games catering to the 2% to 5% of the game population that funds the game.

Changing conflict and event more frequently can help and doesn't need as much cost as creating a new playing method. But this change can only keep more players and not guarentee increase in profit.

I don't disagree about cost/benefit factors, but I do imagine that they have the profit data in front of them. I'm assuming this is showing to be a profitable move. I also suspect the MTT sale was also profitable. Only time will tell if this is a profitable trend from the long game perspective.
lukeskywalker
Leader

Return to “General Discussions”