Medal Dropping Ethics/Effectiveness?

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
DipstickPinez
Commander
Posts: 32

Medal Dropping Ethics/Effectiveness?

Post#1 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:09 pm

I've heard of medal dropping before a conflict to try and get easier match ups. I've also heard people doing it get bashed a lot, and I don't fully understand the issue with it. There's also the question of whether medal dropping actually works, and whether or not it gives you easier bases for the conflict. Any help would be appreciated!


User avatar
CoolGuy
Admiral
Posts: 685

Re: Medal Dropping Ethics/Effectiveness?

Post#2 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:08 pm

I was very much opposed to medal dumping, but looking at previous conflict results I had higher numbers of attacks than some people in the top 20 but I was finishing about 200. The difference was either in base ranking (sandbagged bases) or lower medals, whereas I had a fully upgraded Prestige base on maximum medals. Sandbagging or lower medals gives you either/and easy matches and higher conflict points (gears) per win. Most top Prestige players only get 700 gears per win.

As an experiment I deliberately dropped 20k medals (165k to 145k) to see what difference it made. The result was no easier matches but consistent 1000 gear opponents. Getting 1000 gears makes a huge difference playing conflicts and I can now get Obsidian without grinding and UC with less strenuous grinding than before.

So medal dumping alone does not get you easier matches, but does give you better gears for wins. To get easier matches you have to keep your base score lower by not fully upgrading or building all of your structures.

As for the ethics, it goes entirely against the grain for me to deliberately lose matches, but I came to a point in the game where the frustration of not getting ahead despite many hours of play finally broke me. So until Zynga fix the match making equations and the reward levels, I will maintain an artificially lower level medal count.
Windows refugee with the Rogue Ewok group. Killing the Empire since 2015.
Come and visit us at RogueEwokReturn


User avatar
lukeskywalker
Major General
Posts: 448

Re: Medal Dropping Ethics/Effectiveness?

Post#3 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:04 pm

CoolGuy wrote:I was very much opposed to medal dumping, but looking at previous conflict results I had higher numbers of attacks than some people in the top 20 but I was finishing about 200. The difference was either in base ranking (sandbagged bases) or lower medals, whereas I had a fully upgraded Prestige base on maximum medals. Sandbagging or lower medals gives you either/and easy matches and higher conflict points (gears) per win. Most top Prestige players only get 700 gears per win.

As an experiment I deliberately dropped 20k medals (165k to 145k) to see what difference it made. The result was no easier matches but consistent 1000 gear opponents. Getting 1000 gears makes a huge difference playing conflicts and I can now get Obsidian without grinding and UC with less strenuous grinding than before.

So medal dumping alone does not get you easier matches, but does give you better gears for wins. To get easier matches you have to keep your base score lower by not fully upgrading or building all of your structures.

As for the ethics, it goes entirely against the grain for me to deliberately lose matches, but I came to a point in the game where the frustration of not getting ahead despite many hours of play finally broke me. So until Zynga fix the match making equations and the reward levels, I will maintain an artificially lower level medal count.


I would have to disagree with the results here, since my experience is definitely different. It's possible you might get more gears due to different matchups, after medal dumping, but I suspect that's in the minority. I have several bases. My Prestige base at 120K medals, routinely see's 1000 gear opponents. That's why I can more easily UC with my Max Prestige than with any of my other bases, and especially more easily than my mini 8. My level 7 through level 9 bases, all see higher gears at higher medal counts. I don't have any bases getting more gears at lower medal counts. The general trade-off is easier matchups but less gears. Your situation might apply to 140K plus medals and possibly in a small group in the level 8 or 9 range.

At level 8 or 9, it get's a little tricky, since max level 8's and 9's see very tough bases, but high gears. Great if you have some mix of high skills and/or high level armory levels. Not so good if you leveled up your HQ too quickly, and your armory or skills are lagging. Plus, you spend more time dumping medals, so I'm not sure where that saves you time. You use as many attacks dumping medals as attacks used in conflicts. To me, medal dumping only makes sense at high level 8 or 9, where the matchup system is a bit broken and only if it becomes problematic for you, or if you are a Prestige player with 140K medals or more and your armory is not maxed out. That 140K medal threshold is just based on other people's posts, since I'm only at 120K for my Prestige base.

I don't have any problem with the ethics, since I don't see what this has to do with ethics. It's designed into the game, and it's more work. It's a last resort.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!


User avatar
CoolGuy
Admiral
Posts: 685

Re: Medal Dropping Ethics/Effectiveness?

Post#4 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:32 pm

lukeskywalker wrote: Plus, you spend more time dumping medals, so I'm not sure where that saves you time. You use as many attacks dumping medals as attacks used in conflicts.


I did all my medal dumping in the day gap between conflicts, so it cost me nothing in time, and I provided no conflict points to my opponents, just medals.
Windows refugee with the Rogue Ewok group. Killing the Empire since 2015.
Come and visit us at RogueEwokReturn


User avatar
lukeskywalker
Major General
Posts: 448

Re: Medal Dropping Ethics/Effectiveness?

Post#5 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:43 pm

CoolGuy wrote:
lukeskywalker wrote: Plus, you spend more time dumping medals, so I'm not sure where that saves you time. You use as many attacks dumping medals as attacks used in conflicts.


I did all my medal dumping in the day gap between conflicts, so it cost me nothing in time, and I provided no conflict points to my opponents, just medals.


Not criticizing the decision, but just outlining the overall trade-offs in general. Medal dumping in my experience, is not recommended, unless you fit in one of the small pockets where HQ and medal count has left you in the black hole of matchups. Time spent on attacks to drop medals, is also time away from other things. Even between events, it's an additional time commitment. I'm at 120K medals, so I could find myself in that black hole in a month or so. I do get that it's the only option for those stuck in that black hole. I feel for those in that unfortunate situation. If I didn't have high armory level jets and now the MTT's for my max level 9, the matchups would be brutal. That level 9 is facing level 10's and Prestige bases with gr and sc troops. It's also attacked by higher level players, and these are not revenge attacks. I get it.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!


User avatar
sgu97cab
Major General
Posts: 461

Re: Medal Dropping Ethics/Effectiveness?

Post#6 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:32 pm

At about 140k medals a couple of months ago I was getting quite a lot of 1000 gear bases, but now I maxed out at 160k medals I haven't seen 1000 gear bases in the past couple of weeks, so possible it does have an impact.
Main account:BaconSecond account:nEggs
Squads:NewSithEmpire, NewDarkEmpire,F-Deathsquad-D
LINE ID: sgu97cab

***If any players want to get involved in no outpost wars please PM me on this forum or on LINE app***


User avatar
lukeskywalker
Major General
Posts: 448

Re: Medal Dropping Ethics/Effectiveness?

Post#7 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:18 pm

sgu97cab wrote:At about 140k medals a couple of months ago I was getting quite a lot of 1000 gear bases, but now I maxed out at 160k medals I haven't seen 1000 gear bases in the past couple of weeks, so possible it does have an impact.


It sounds like there's no benefit to going over 140k medals. At least with the level 8 and 9 issues, you see higher medal bases with more gears in line with the higher degree of difficulty.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!


User avatar
CoolGuy
Admiral
Posts: 685

Re: Medal Dropping Ethics/Effectiveness?

Post#8 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:14 pm

sgu97cab wrote:At about 140k medals a couple of months ago I was getting quite a lot of 1000 gear bases, but now I maxed out at 160k medals I haven't seen 1000 gear bases in the past couple of weeks, so possible it does have an impact.


On 165k medals I was seeing a 1000 gear base about 1 in 100, and generally it was a mega-hard base that I would probably only get 2 stars from at the best.
Windows refugee with the Rogue Ewok group. Killing the Empire since 2015.
Come and visit us at RogueEwokReturn


Lord
Commodore
Posts: 231

Re: Medal Dropping Ethics/Effectiveness?

Post#9 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:59 pm

Medals are liabilities for players and only cause inconvinence. Medals.are punishments for winning a battle.


EdibleKarlos
Commodore
Posts: 107

Re: Medal Dropping Ethics/Effectiveness?

Post#10 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:42 am

If people are prepared to spend the time dumping medals in the hope for higher cogs, then let them get on with it. medals are pointless in this game as they do appear to impede those who farm / earn them. If matchmaking was fixed to ignore medals, and the match reward system was altered to ignore medals then medal dumping would be a thing of the past and everyone spending a day between conflicts dumping can open the curtains and spend the day looking outside instead.
On the flip though, I do enjoy to revenge attack those who dump on me with by far the most powerful unit of the game - the scout trooper, or bait out the deks and waste a couple of jumps on them. :-)


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], ForceMel, Josketer, Lord, SpaceDandy, Warlord0311 and 37 guests