Why is Avengers successful while Star Wars falters? (Endgame spoilers included!)

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Why is Avengers successful while Star Wars falters? (Endgame spoilers included!)

Post#1 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:48 pm

Personally I enjoyed episode 8 and it's unexpected twists and turns more than the derivative episode 7. I also can see that many dislike 8 for its deviation from expectations and traditions. I think Avengers and the MCU begins each movie with a simple premise: what would our fans most like to see? Perhaps that is where some feel that Star Wars is faltering. Endgame is at it's core a love letter to fans, and an exceptional movie. I watched it last night and I don't foresee any negativity whatsoever.
Leader ofSHADOW-GUARDrank140 148300k X
Looking forward to Ep9.

CoolGuy
Admiral

Re: Why is Avengers successful while Star Wars falters? (Endgame spoilers included!)

Post#2 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:01 pm

Most of the Marvel movies have great scripts, actors, music and special effects. They have maintained the integrity of the series and have only slightly strayed with Black Panther and Captain Marvel. Political correctness ruins all movies.
Windows refugee with the Rogue Ewok group. Killing the Empire since 2015.
Come and visit us at RogueEwokReturn

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Re: Why is Avengers successful while Star Wars falters? (Endgame spoilers included!)

Post#3 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:31 pm

CoolGuy wrote:Most of the Marvel movies have great scripts, actors, music and special effects. They have maintained the integrity of the series and have only slightly strayed with Black Panther and Captain Marvel. Political correctness ruins all movies.

Solid points. I don't mind a little PC if it is not too heavy-handed. I don't want to be lectured while I'm being entertained. I love the girl power stuff of Captain Marvel mostly because I have three little girls. I loved the diversity of Spider-Man.
Looking forward to Ep9.

darthdoodie
Major General

Post#4 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:16 pm

The huge amount of comic book source material MCU can draw on is a nice bonus, but the main thing I think that separates MCU from SW and DCEU is having one person - Kevin Feige, overseeing the whole project, and who also is a bona fide fan of the lore.

Not having the A-grade MC characters at his disposal initially, he had to take time to build the whole universe. DC just dumped in all their stars and expected everyone to love it instantly = fail. SW is a bit lost without someone in charge for clear direction.

I also think SW fans are a little harsh on the new movies and are comparing them to the originals with some very heavy rose tinted glasses. MCU movie are all fresh and have no baggage.

EdibleKarlos
Commodore

Post#5 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:41 am

darthdoodie wrote:I also think SW fans are a little harsh on the new movies and are comparing them to the originals with some very heavy rose tinted glasses.

That's probably cos the plots follow the original's. even palpatine is coming back for ROTJ2 :-)

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#6 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:57 am

Went to the premiere last night. Wonderful. I will say one thing that is missing in the MCU is the Star Wars culture and passion. I have been to every Thursday night premiere of Star Wars and MCU movies. No one cheers Like a Star Wars movie. The lucasfilm symbol appears and the crowd goes nuts. Every highlight in the movie is cheered. At least half the crowd is in Cosplay. Last night I wore my Spider-Man jacket. No one else had anything :-(. I was the only one that cheered at the title :-(. Very little applause throughout.
Looking forward to Ep9.

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#7 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:32 am

I could say many reasons why Marvel rules the movies and DC and Lucasfilm don't:

Marvel keeps its studio independent and on creative freedom; they keep the same creation team since the first movie Iron Man; they keep the same dude on command and he's is not only a great studio manager but a huge Marvel fan; they casts actors as good as hell for any character; they have a strong look at their personality and emotions like we see in the HQs to remind us they are also humans besides they are superheroes; all stories are foccused on the characters and not only in action scenes/special effects; they have a huge number of great characters that can keep public interest if they are in an eventual solo movie.

And Lucasfilm has...

Kathleen Kennedy?

And DC has...

Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman?

But although I and many others do not like the new SW movies, no one can say they've failed. They brought profit to Disney, more than other Marvel and DC movie. The quality can be questionable, not the return at the box office.
SWC Windows survivor.

Imperial Prestige / Rebel Prestige on vacation and trying new games.
If you are Rebel join "Solo's_Band" (war squad) or "Ewok_revenge" (training squad)

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#8 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:43 am

I'm surprised Kathleen hasn't been more successful. She has produced some of the best movies of all time. Raiders of the Lost Ark. Back to the Future. Temple of Doom. The list goes on.
Looking forward to Ep9.

FinrodFelagund
Major General

Post#9 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:42 am

Forceisweaknyou wrote:I'm surprised Kathleen hasn't been more successful. She has produced some of the best movies of all time. Raiders of the Lost Ark. Back to the Future. Temple of Doom. The list goes on.

I read somewhere that one of the main issues is a schism within Lucasfilm; Kennedy and her supporters against the die hard Star Wars fans. If that is the case it would be no surprise that everything they put out is a mess; as noted above, the MCU has a group all focused on the same goals.
We used bows, then we discovered bowcasters.
The Pointy-eared folk have a couple openings

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#10 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:00 pm

Interesting that Thanos experiences a very Snoke-like death early in the film.
Looking forward to Ep9.

Return to “General Discussions”