Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise Of Skywalker - Discusson Topic

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
ObiWanKenobi2016
Grand Admiral

Re: Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise Of Skywalker - Discusson Topic

Post#31 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:19 am

I'm afraid that for me, the franchise was damaged significantly by what they did to Luke Skywalker's character in TLJ.

I really didn't like the character assassination of Luke on Ach-To with his rejection of the Force, of Rey, the Rashomon flashback where he supposedly considered killing Kylo/Ben in his sleep, the portrayal of how he was living, or his rejection of the 'Help me Obi-wan' replay from New Hope. It was all significantly inconsistent with the character developed in the OT.

Nor did I like the final battle scene on Hoth mk II. The interplantary hologram idea was far too far fetched, even for the SW universe. Luke's death at the end was even more pointless.

Every trailer for Episodes 7 to 9 has featured Luke Skywalker heavily, and yet his screen time has been minimal and his character development was abysmal.

This is perhaps the greatest failing of this trilogy. I understand that the franchise had to move on from the OT, but it didn't have to ruin the OT heroes (other than Leia) along the way.

I'm in no hurry to see the new movie, although I'll probably see it eventually.

I'd watch one dealing with Luke Skywalker in between episodes 6 and 7, but I do not think there is any interest in Disney for creating one.

I think there's been a significant failure of creative leadership with the recent Star Wars episodes. Each depends heavily on rehashed material from the OT. There were many valid criticisms of the prequels, but at least they all provided original material and positive contributions to the Star Wars universe. A Mary-Sue femaie lead character does not.

What is most striking about Disney at the moment, is that there is creative vision elsewhere in the company, notably that engaged with the Marvel films. I've never been interested in the Marvel Characters or Universe before their movies. Many of the heroes/characters I hadn't heard of before. But their films have been well written, well directed, with a strong cast. And they've done it in over 20 movies in less than 20 years without rehashing things in the way the recent episodes have rehashed the OT. I grew up with Star Wars (the OT), but it's Marvel's Avengers Endgame that I am looking forward to seeing this year.

If only the writers / minds behind the Marvel Comics Universe were given Star Wars movies to work on ...
HQ Prestige - Sons of Death & Midnight Mob

You must do what you think is right, of course.

toname
Commodore

Post#32 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:32 pm

Gaardian wrote:They justify the homage to WW2 bombers by describing those resistance bombers as designed for planetary bombardment. They weren’t designed to assault a capital ship in space but that is what the resistance had available. It’s in one of those coffee table books showing/describing all the ships in the movie.

That works as an in-universe explanation, but it does not work as a cinematic device. Without some reference to this explanation, it destroys the suspension of disbelief and takes the viewer out of the moment.

bob1084
Commodore

Post#33 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:57 pm

Ghostie wrote:SOLO: TRASH Poor choice of words....extremely disappointing.
TFA: TRASH Poor choice of words....extremely disappointing.
TLJ: TRASH Poor choice of words....extremely disappointing.

ROGUE ONE: BRILLIANT AWESOME LOVED IT!

Rogue one brilliant? Given when that story took place in the timeline I can think of no less than 10 other story lines that would have been better. Worse yet, the one that made the most sense to explore was given a 30 second spot at the end of the movie that for most people was the highlight of the movie. For me it left a bad taste in my mouth because they chose ANOTHER death start centered story rather than focusing on characters. For all the faults of TLJ the Rey/Kylo arc was the first time they used the one thing that I believe most people want, character depth/conflict. Star Wars at its best has always been the conflict within the main characters to choose between the good or dark path. Spending the vast majority of over 2 hours on “how a band of people made Luke’s first triumph easier” was unneeded at best.

Ghostie
Major General

Post#34 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:32 pm

bob1084 wrote:
Ghostie wrote:SOLO: TRASH Poor choice of words....extremely disappointing.
TFA: TRASH Poor choice of words....extremely disappointing.
TLJ: TRASH Poor choice of words....extremely disappointing.

ROGUE ONE: BRILLIANT AWESOME LOVED IT!

Rogue one brilliant? Given when that story took place in the timeline I can think of no less than 10 other story lines that would have been better. Worse yet, the one that made the most sense to explore was given a 30 second spot at the end of the movie that for most people was the highlight of the movie. For me it left a bad taste in my mouth because they chose ANOTHER death start centered story rather than focusing on characters. For all the faults of TLJ the Rey/Kylo arc was the first time they used the one thing that I believe most people want, character depth/conflict. Star Wars at its best has always been the conflict within the main characters to choose between the good or dark path. Spending the vast majority of over 2 hours on “how a band of people made Luke’s first triumph easier” was unneeded at best.

Brilliant may have a been a bit of an exaggeration, but for me it was the best Star Wars Movie since Return of the Jedi and that was back around 1984-85 maybe... but each to their own.

As for the 10 other storylines available my Star Wars nerd knowledge just isn't that deep....I used to like the old original comics some, but to be honest I don't keep with the storylines much anymore.
Some men aren't looking for any logical solution. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

ObiWanKenobi2016
Grand Admiral

Post#35 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:56 am

I also loved Rogue One.

I liked the characters, the story, the easter eggs for the fans, and the ending.

For me, Rogue One is one of the best movies in the franchise. It's right up there with ESB.
HQ Prestige - Sons of Death & Midnight Mob

You must do what you think is right, of course.

Harshit
Admiral

Post#36 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:03 am

Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker 2nd Trailer on D23

:arrow: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3n1T3HxHd7Y

Thoughts ?
MIgrated from Windows from former squad HOLCRON HORROR. NOW shifted to android/ios in the squad HH-resurrectionand and our sister squad at HH-Insurrection. Apply now and be loyal to the EMPEROR.

DeathStriker

Post#37 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:01 am

Harshit wrote:Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker 2nd Trailer on D23

Thoughts ?

Excitement is building along with sadness knowing this will be the last Star Wars Movie for the foreseeable future per the news posted here.

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 5+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

Harshit
Admiral

Post#38 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:28 am

DeathStriker wrote:
Harshit wrote:Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker 2nd Trailer on D23

Thoughts ?

Excitement is building along with sadness knowing this will be the last Star Wars Movie for the foreseeable future per the news posted here.

I know that DS, but Disney has announced a possible TOR triology starting from 2022 and continuing upto 2026 , after that no news yet.
Disney has abandoned make SW movies just because they can get a considerably more profits from Disney+ streaming than doing movies, seeing how Solo got a backlash just because of TLJ everyone boycotted Solo
MIgrated from Windows from former squad HOLCRON HORROR. NOW shifted to android/ios in the squad HH-resurrectionand and our sister squad at HH-Insurrection. Apply now and be loyal to the EMPEROR.

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#39 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:50 am

Thank you for bump this thread and remind me that we still had another SW movie to come...

We're four months from episode 9 premiering in theaters, and all I'm wondering now is how Marvel will handle with Web-head by getting out of MCU just because Disney and Sony didn't agree on the profits of his upcoming movies.

Disney ruined Star Wars, hope they don't ruin the MCU too... I don't think it could be worse than Episode 8, but with Kathleen Kennedy I prefer not to create any expectations, so my expectation for Episode 9 is zero.
SWC Windows survivor.

Imperial Prestige / Rebel Prestige on vacation and trying new games.
If you are Rebel join "Solo's_Band" (war squad) or "Ewok_revenge" (training squad)

Calboy
Captain

Post#40 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:12 pm

I think it Is Lord being negative again
Jade’s_Fire Squad

Return to “General Discussions”