Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise Of Skywalker - Discusson Topic

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Re: Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise Of Skywalker - Discusson Topic

Post#181 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:37 am

DarkRebel wrote:Interesting that rottentomatoes rating for EP 9 is actually reversed from Ep 8 (when audiences rating was worse than expert rating)
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_w ... _skywalker
Expert score is only 54% compared to 86% from audiences.

Apparently, audiences liked the movie this time, a lot.

I saw the movie and liked it. I’d give it 7.8/10.

TLJ has been praised by critics because in addition to being a darling of critics for his work as director in Looper, Rian has earned the rest of the critics for his creative, innovative and subversive vision of the Star Wars universe - critics love that kind of thing! Fans hate it, especially when they mess with things they love for decades - original trilogy characters and dogmas.

The critics hated Rise because it's all forced, obvious, flawed, poorly written, misdirected and all the bad things a critic might notice in a movie. Rise is a movie for fans, not for critics - critics don't buy tickets, don't forget!

I personally really enjoyed the movie, in some scenes I really loved it - I've seen it 3 times, and intend to see it again. It's the best of the Disney trilogy so far, not really good, but it's fun and honors the tradition of the original movies.

Stop asking how Maz got Luke's lightsaber, or how Rey might be using the lightsaber if the lightsaber was destroyed in her fight with Kylo on TLJ! Your life as a SW fan in the Disney era will be so much more fun if you just stop asking stupid questions like that. :lol:
SWC Windows survivor.

Imperial HQ 11 & Rebel HQ 11 on vacation. Currently in "Giveandgettroops" (Level 50 Imperial Squad) and "SevenOfNine2" Level 50 Rebel Squad -- training squads, everyone is welcome!

ObiWanKenobi2016
Grand Admiral

Post#182 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:17 am

Spock wrote:
Pepsidoc wrote:Aight saw it. Didn’t hate it. Enjoyed parts and didn’t like others. More enjoyed though.

I’ll say it now. J.J. Should have directed or wrote or been involved in all 3. Had a lot of potential had it been planned to flow over the 3 films.

Definitely better than The Last Jedi which needs to be shortened to the Kyle/Rey/Luke scenes, I can basically watch 7 , the end of 8, and then 9.

I

I completely agree.

I mostly agree. I kind of liked it.

It doesn't say in the opening crawl "Episode 9 - An apology for Episode 8"; or "Rian Johnson is a moron that should never have been allowed to direct TLJ or having anything to do with the Star Wars universe, and we're REALLY sorry for what he did"; but by the end of the movie, you do get to draw your own conclusions.

It's clear that they've taken on board a lot of the criticisms of TLJ and tried to make the best repair of them with what's left of the franchise.

But, I tell you all frankly, Star Wars hasn't been the same for me since TLJ and this movie is full of holes, flaws and forced dialogue / plot devices. The reason for almost all of them is attempt to address the failings of TLJ, and because I really didn't like TLJ, I'm okay with that.

But don't get me wrong, this movie still has an extraordinary number of faults and failings and jump-the-shark improbable force powers.

Re JJ Abrams, I don't think he should have been allowed to be involved in this franchise. TFA is a repeat of New Hope, that gave very little for Ep 8 to meaningfully build on, and such plot points that were set up, were abandoned by Johnson in Ep 8, some of them within the first 10 minutes. The damage done to Star Wars in TLJ is irreversible for the foreseeable future, not least because there are some fans that love the new trilogy, and they've done quite well in the box office.

This trilogy suffers from a lack of originality, and that's bad for any franchise. No-one now denies TFA is a copy of New Hope (not even the most die-hard new trilogy fanboys). TLJ copied key plot points from Battlestar Galactica, not very convincingly. ROS's final 'solution' of the threat of the new Empire is copied from Ready Player One, and I don't think that was done very convincingly either (esp given what happened in TLJ). The OP force powers of Palp and Rey at the end of the movie really don't work for me at all.

But the new Trilogy is over now, and thank goodness for that.

One of the biggest failings of the new trilogy is the lack of Luke Skywalker from start to finish. His face and voice were key parts of the trailers and promotional material, and in terms of screen time, dialogue, character development, it was all minimal or awful. The Skywalker name in RoS, is deeply misleading as well. There is no 'Rise' of anyone called Skywalker. It would better be called Redemption of the Palpatines.

When JJ Abrams took over, the franchise didn't need a reboot. It does now. And it needs one before Mark Hamill gets too old. Marvel did it with Spiderman. Andrew Garfield's movies weren't that good, they ignored them and started again. That's what needs to happen with Star Wars.
Last edited by ObiWanKenobi2016 on Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
HQ Prestige - Sons of Death & Midnight Mob

You must do what you think is right, of course.

DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Post#183 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:13 am

mkenobi wrote:
DarkRebel wrote:Interesting that rottentomatoes rating for EP 9 is actually reversed from Ep 8 (when audiences rating was worse than expert rating)

TLJ has been praised by critics because in addition to being a darling of critics for his work as director in Looper, Rian has earned the rest of the critics for his creative, innovative and subversive vision of the Star Wars universe - critics love that kind of thing! Fans hate it, especially when they mess with things they love for decades - original trilogy characters and dogmas.

The critics hated Rise because it's all forced, obvious, flawed, poorly written, misdirected and all the bad things a critic might notice in a movie. Rise is a movie for fans, not for critics - critics don't buy tickets, don't forget!

I personally really enjoyed the movie, in some scenes I really loved it - I've seen it 3 times, and intend to see it again. It's the best of the Disney trilogy so far, not really good, but it's fun and honors the tradition of the original movies.

Stop asking how Maz got Luke's lightsaber, or how Rey might be using the lightsaber if the lightsaber was destroyed in her fight with Kylo on TLJ! Your life as a SW fan in the Disney era will be so much more fun if you just stop asking stupid questions like that. :lol:

You made a good point there, that TROS is more for fan than for critics.
There are many flaws, but I forgave, overlooked and just appreciated and enjoyed a decent ending to a wonderful journey.
It’s certainly not a 9 or a 10, but an acceptable and enjoyable movie for the holiday.

Happy New Year everyone !

RedCDR
Commodore

Post#184 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:39 pm

Rotten tomatoes review score does not mean the average mean of all verified user reviews is 86%, the score means 86% of verified reviews found it "fresh", 3.5 stars or higher. This mean a 'meh'' kind of movie for everyone will be given a 100% fresh rating where a divisive movie like the last Jedi gets a 43% user review. the same is true for the critic reviews where each critic has the review seen as fresh or rotten. With all the fan service in the movie it is enough for most who saw the movie get it to at least the meh not great not terrible especially coming after TLJ.

RT also now only uses verified reviews for those scores requiring you to have bought a ticket from Fandango and Fandango only which skews the data to those in the USA and like the movie enough to go and pay a premium for a reserved seat and pre-order a ticket.

There is also a suspicion that the rise of skywalker user review is being frozen or botted by Disney or RT to keep the score at 86%. it has been at that score the whole time which is statistically unlikely. https://reclaimthenet.org/star-wars-ris ... matoes-86/

DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Post#185 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:24 pm

RedCDR wrote:

Rotten tomatoes review score does not mean the average mean of all verified user reviews is 86%, the score means 86% of verified reviews found it "fresh", 3.5 stars or higher. This mean a 'meh'' kind of movie for everyone will be given a 100% fresh rating where a divisive movie like the last Jedi gets a 43% user review. the same is true for the critic reviews where each critic has the review seen as fresh or rotten. With all the fan service in the movie it is enough for most who saw the movie get it to at least the meh not great not terrible especially coming after TLJ.

RT also now only uses verified reviews for those scores requiring you to have bought a ticket from Fandango and Fandango only which skews the data to those in the USA and like the movie enough to go and pay a premium for a reserved seat and pre-order a ticket.

There is also a suspicion that the rise of skywalker user review is being frozen or botted by Disney or RT to keep the score at 86%. it has been at that score the whole time which is statistically unlikely. https://reclaimthenet.org/star-wars-ris ... matoes-86/

It is indeed suspicious. Thanks for the link.
Yeah, it’s unlikely that the rating would stay at exactly the same percentage. Something fishy is going on here. Hope this will be corrected soon.

EDIT: If I chose to display the rating for ALL audiences, then the percentage dropped to 78% with average rating of 3.98/5. Still a decent number.

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#186 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:16 am

I know it's just a movie, but it's a Star Wars movie... All those plot holes keep screaming in my mind like a big disturbance in the Force, I can't stop thinking about them...

36 years was the time Palps hid in Exegol to build his Destroyers fleet, but at the time of TFA Palps had only one Starkiller - 4 years ago! I imagine he must have used thousands of worker droids and spent rivers of crystals to finish building them in such a short time! Maybe he's a wallet warrior?

Seriously now, I remember that laser cannons are powered by the energy of Kyber crystals, and the power of the cannons is too volatile to be reduced to a miniature that can be attached to a ship, and needs much more space - like a Death Star. This is Canon, it's in the books - I don't remember which one.

And where did Palps get so much crystal to feed so many cannons if Kyber crystals were already rare at the time of the original trilogy? I imagine the Palps Devs worked hard in 4 years to come up with the technology to reduce cannons and replace Kyber crystals with another power source?
SWC Windows survivor.

Imperial HQ 11 & Rebel HQ 11 on vacation. Currently in "Giveandgettroops" (Level 50 Imperial Squad) and "SevenOfNine2" Level 50 Rebel Squad -- training squads, everyone is welcome!

TKTB51
Admiral

Post#187 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:29 am

you need more vespian gas
Player: TK-TB51 (leader)
Squad: DarkLords
Level 50 with all maxed out perks
Imperial (like you didn't know that already)

Founder of MEGA - "Make the Empire Great Again".

www.darklords.info (under construction)

DesertPyramid
Admiral

Post#188 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:31 pm

The mouse waved its hand as it said, “These aren’t the plot holes you’re looking for.” And then again to say, “We can go about our business.”

One could hope for these to be intentional plot holes to leave room for Mandalorian and other stories later... but more realistically it was probably just “time to market” demands made to hit the production window.

I think I’m not going to think about it much more and file it in the memory bin beside Terminator 2 where they lower the Terminator into the molten metal by pushing the “up” button.
Rebel Squad: Jedi_Falcons L10+ Perks: L38
Medals: ~66k Deka/o: 50/50 Jets: 5d/4f/4a

RedCDR
Commodore

Post#189 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:05 pm

mkenobi wrote:I know it's just a movie, but it's a Star Wars movie... All those plot holes keep screaming in my mind like a big disturbance in the Force, I can't stop thinking about them...

36 years was the time Palps hid in Exegol to build his Destroyers fleet, but at the time of TFA Palps had only one Starkiller - 4 years ago! I imagine he must have used thousands of worker droids and spent rivers of crystals to finish building them in such a short time! Maybe he's a wallet warrior?

Seriously now, I remember that laser cannons are powered by the energy of Kyber crystals, and the power of the cannons is too volatile to be reduced to a miniature that can be attached to a ship, and needs much more space - like a Death Star. This is Canon, it's in the books - I don't remember which one.

And where did Palps get so much crystal to feed so many cannons if Kyber crystals were already rare at the time of the original trilogy? I imagine the Palps Devs worked hard in 4 years to come up with the technology to reduce cannons and replace Kyber crystals with another power source?

Star killer base has been revealed to be Ilum which was where the Jedi order used to get all there Kyber crystals from. I guess hollowing out the planet gave them stockpiles of kyber. Makes the new republic seem even more incompetent though to just sit out from engaging the first order when the first order was sitting on and developing a known planet full of planet killing material. Jedi fallen order seems to suggest star killer base was been developed by the empire from at least 14 bby which means it took 53 years to be operational.

DeathStriker

Post#190 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:30 pm

RedCDR wrote:Star killer base has been revealed to be Ilum which was where the Jedi order used to get all there Kyber crystals from. I guess hollowing out the planet gave them stockpiles of kyber. Makes the new republic seem even more incompetent though to just sit out from engaging the first order when the first order was sitting on and developing a known planet full of planet killing material. Jedi fallen order seems to suggest star killer base was been developed by the empire from at least 14 bby which means it took 53 years to be operational.

A BIT OFF TOPIC but...

:arrow: Click here for an additional "source" for info that Star killer base has been revealed to be Ilum.

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 5+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

Return to “General Discussions”