Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise Of Skywalker - Discusson Topic

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
Harshit
Admiral

Re: Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise Of Skywalker - Discusson Topic

Post#171 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:37 pm

ForceMel wrote:
TKTB51 wrote:I'm 56, probably an older and grumpier old man than you, and ... it was ... ok.

It was not a good movie, it was the best of the three in the "sequel trilogy". Solo was better, Rogue One was even better than that.

It all had to be forced, there were so many plot threads hanging around, you could have built a spider web for Hagrid's spider from them.

You have me by less than a year. I do agree though. It was the best of the three. I actually really liked the Solo movie, even though I thought the portrayal of Solo was quite weak... of course, how do you follow Harrison Ford, the original bad ass. I didn't much care for Rogue One, but found the ending interesting.

If looked at the chronological point of view, then RO's story is more better and explanatory and explains how rebels got the Death Star plans and what sacrifices they had to make and also makes it clear that Organa wanted Kenobi to join the rebels.

Solo's story explains how Han made his way from being a Imperial Pilot to a smuggler and how he met chewie.

The progression that these movies make helps in explaining how certain characters made up to the OT.
Empire lvl 10 HH-Resurrection (Level 50). Proud former (Holocron Horror) top 10 Windows squad.

DesertPyramid
Admiral

Post#172 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:01 am

I liked the reason hinted at in the (now non-cannon) books better than Solo. If memory serves, he was conscripted briefly by the imperial navy and decorated (where he earned the blood stripes on his pants for saving his commander)... Then later rescued Chewie from a slave camp (run by the same commander) before they we’re going to terminate the Wookiee. In doing so, he had to go awol and became a privateer. Saving Chewie earned the life-debt that kept them together. It went a long way towards explaining how Han knew Imperial procedures so well. Unfortunately, I don’t remember which book(s) had that in it. Maybe someone else does? Perhaps one of the Han Solo Adventures books?

Solo had its moments, but felt more like an alternate reality take on things to reset everything.

As for TROS.... How many years was that under/in water with no rust and still space worthy? If they had one clone as a backup... why wouldn’t there be more? Wait. Never mind. I forgot to park my brain at the door again.
Rebel Squad: Jedi_Falcons L10+ Perks: L38
Medals: ~70k Deka/o: 50/50 Jets: 5d/4f/4a

LordWader
Commodore

Post#173 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:59 pm

Finally saw the movie and thought it was great. Certainly a good way to complete the Skywalker saga and recover from the terrible Last Jedi

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#174 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:47 pm

DesertPyramid wrote:I liked the reason hinted at in the (now non-cannon) books better than Solo. If memory serves, he was conscripted briefly by the imperial navy and decorated (where he earned the blood stripes on his pants for saving his commander)... Then later rescued Chewie from a slave camp (run by the same commander) before they we’re going to terminate the Wookiee. In doing so, he had to go awol and became a privateer. Saving Chewie earned the life-debt that kept them together. It went a long way towards explaining how Han knew Imperial procedures so well. Unfortunately, I don’t remember which book(s) had that in it. Maybe someone else does? Perhaps one of the Han Solo Adventures books?

Solo had its moments, but felt more like an alternate reality take on things to reset everything.

As for TROS.... How many years was that under/in water with no rust and still space worthy? If they had one clone as a backup... why wouldn’t there be more? Wait. Never mind. I forgot to park my brain at the door again.

His X-wing was made of Mandalorian Beskar metal :D
Leader ofSHADOW-GUARDrank140 148300k X
Looking forward to Ep9.
Luminous beings are we

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#175 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:20 pm

Forceisweaknyou wrote:
DesertPyramid wrote:As for TROS.... How many years was that under/in water with no rust and still space worthy? If they had one clone as a backup... why wouldn’t there be more? Wait. Never mind. I forgot to park my brain at the door again.

His X-wing was made of Mandalorian Beskar metal :D

As we say here, the amendment came out worse than the sonnet. Trying to fix the nonsense of the previous movie, the writers created more problems.

If X-Wing was working after so many years on the sea floor, and Luke wanted to help the Rebels on Crayt ---

Why the hell HE DIDN'T TAKE OUT THAT OLD JUNK FROM THE WATER, SIT HIS BUTT IN COCKPIT, AND FLYED TO CRAYT to play bowling with those Gorilla Walkers, instead of making an ASTRAL PROJECTION THROUGH THE GALAXY THAT COSTED HIS LIFE FOR NOTHING?

God, you can write a new Bible just by analyzing at all the holes in this Disney trilogy.
SWC Windows survivor.

Imperial HQ 11 & Rebel HQ 11 on vacation.

DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Post#176 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:22 pm

Interesting that rottentomatoes rating for EP 9 is actually reversed from Ep 8 (when audiences rating was worse than expert rating)
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_w ... _skywalker
Expert score is only 54% compared to 86% from audiences.

Apparently, audiences liked the movie this time, a lot.

I saw the movie and liked it. I’d give it 7.8/10.

TKTB51
Admiral

Post#177 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:58 pm

meh, those aren't impressive numbers.

Now, for the Mandalorian, OMG, these are NUMBERS

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_mandalorian
Player: TK-TB51 (leader)
Squad: DarkLords
Level 50 with all maxed out perks
Imperial (like you didn't know that already)

Founder of MEGA - "Make the Empire Great Again".

www.darklords.info (under construction)

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#178 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:52 pm

Watching for 2nd time...enjoying it more...time to process. What is Leia holding when she dies?
Looking forward to Ep9.
Luminous beings are we

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#179 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:20 pm

Chewie's medal right?
Looking forward to Ep9.
Luminous beings are we

geoman48
Admiral

Post#180 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:25 am

Finally saw the movie on Dec. 28th. Needed a few days to digest it. I'll probably watch the movie again in a month or two and expect to see things I missed a few days ago.

Overall, I'd give the movie a "thumbs up". Ranking the 7-9 trilogy, I'd rank them higher than 1-3, but lower than 4-6 which I saw in the theatre beginning back in 1977. Dating myself a bit there. Specifically, the movie did have some holes, but I can forgive the holes because overall it wrapped up more than left open and it wrapped up things in a more or less pleasurable to watch way.

Return to “General Discussions”