Poll: Will Zynga close down SWC after Episode IX?

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.

Poll: Do you believe that Zynga will close down SWC after the Episode IX revenue boost dies down?

Yes
38%
No
49%
Undecided
14%
Total votes: 96

Gooner
Commodore

Re: Poll: Will Zynga close down SWC after Episode IX?

Post#11 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:12 am

strawman3125 wrote:
Gooner wrote:
StrikerRebel wrote:..why should they shut down that game, the main structures only have to be supported a bit and till now they didnt do anything for that game, nothing new ! For me it makes no sense to buy the rights from disney to support SWC and shut it down after the Episode IX-Hype, Disney would proably have done so and would milk the cash-cow...this deal only make sense if zynga wants to develope that game for future

+1000 Zynga are here to make money and StrikerRebel quite rightly pointed out. they've bought the rights off of Disney and will want to claim that back or at least a chunk of it. so I can't see them shutting it down so soon.

It is possible that they had to buy SWC in order for them to be able to get rights to start building the other Star Wars game that they are already working on (we saw their hiring postings) and they never had any intention to do anything with this game other than maintaining it until the new movie comes out and then terminating it. If this is the case, they will put minimal effort/cost into maintaining the game until they pull the plug.

Good Point I'd forgot about that to be fair. that definitely could be a factor they had to take SWC whilst making the new game.

DeathStriker

Post#12 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:18 am

Gooner wrote:
strawman3125 wrote:
Gooner wrote:...they've bought the rights off of Disney and will want to claim that back or at least a chunk of it. so I can't see them shutting it down so soon.

It is possible that they had to buy SWC in order for them to be able to get rights to start building the other Star Wars game that they are already working on (we saw their hiring postings) ...

Good Point I'd forgot about that to be fair. that definitely could be a factor they had to take SWC whilst making the new game.

YES...This is confirmed by the Web Announcement found here.

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#13 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:38 am

Spock wrote:Personally I think they will want to ride the wave of that film release. Possibly right until the blurry release.

I searched blurry release before I realized it was blu ray lol.
Leader ofSHADOW-GUARDrank140 148300k X
Looking forward to Ep9.

Spock
Admiral

Post#14 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:37 pm

Forceisweaknyou wrote:
Spock wrote:Personally I think they will want to ride the wave of that film release. Possibly right until the blurry release.

I searched blurry release before I realized it was blu ray lol.

Hahaha! : :lol:

Leader of the Imperial_Enclave.

Check out our YouTube channel with almost 700 no outpost replays being shared. Quite possibly the largest collection of commander replays out there.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCW4iVRbrSDJHTBZobNNy7LA

Toydarian
Commodore

Post#15 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:51 pm

Nope, Glock, SWC will live long and prosper, ....well, at least for a bit!
Leader of Derwiderst4nd (Rebel, Squad Level 50)
Podracer repairs by appointment only

Lord
Officer

Post#16 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:11 am

GlockShanty wrote:So in this post here I stated that I believe that Zynga have taken on SWC only to extract as much cash as possible out of the Episode IX hype and then shut the game down on, or before, the 6th anniversary of the game in August 2020.

I'd like to get this prediction out there now and say that I honestly believe that this will happen, and also poll the forum and see who else feels the same way.

I totally agree, we all know that Zynga got this game from the mouse. If it's profitable in the long run how could Disney be so stupid to sell it as well rather than just sell the permission to develop new SW games? The lP of star wars is hurt by the shitty movies7&8, and the decision of making the new level prestige rather than11th killed the hope of further development of the game. It won't be long before many of the players have all the buildings prestige, then they will abandon this game despite of new units since they don't have a goal anyone( only few people would like to collect units of full rank, most people l know are pragmatists, they will keep heroes and bikes etc level seven to save time for example). After the most aggressive players quit, this whole game will be less and less active and people will tend not to spend money in it, then the game will close for sure.

PS: Zynga has even less feeling in SWC than the mouse, it's a commercial company who only care about money.
Last edited by Lord on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord
Officer

Post#17 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:16 am

StrikerRebel wrote:..why should they shut down that game, the main structures only have to be supported a bit and till now they didnt do anything for that game, nothing new ! For me it makes no sense to buy the rights from disney to support SWC and shut it down after the Episode IX-Hype, Disney would proably have done so and would milk the cash-cow...this deal only make sense if zynga wants to develope that game for future

They won't shut it down until they gain enough money from it. However, the possibility of further develop the game become zero after prestige level appears. So I predict the game will close in18-24 month from now

Lord
Officer

Post#18 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:21 am

DeathStriker wrote:
Gooner wrote:
strawman3125 wrote:It is possible that they had to buy SWC in order for them to be able to get rights to start building the other Star Wars game that they are already working on (we saw their hiring postings) ...

YES...This is confirmed by the Web Announcement found here.

That news further shows the trivialness of SWC for Zynga.

StrikerRebel
Commodore

Post#19 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:17 am

Lord wrote:

They won't shut it down until they gain enough money from it. However, the possibility of further develop the game become zero after prestige level appears. So I predict the game will close in18-24 month from now

..after I recognized that Zynga build their own StarWarsGame, I changed my mind, they will not longer do much developement in SWC, now its clear why GR Sharp/sniper and jet conflict will come one after the other...I think the next conflict will be for units that all wanne have such as fang fighter, EATTE, Trucks....some special crystal sale to make some money, then some new units after Episode IX, some more extra crystal sale and at least the leading active players are maxxed out to prestige and then shutting down the game in spring 2020 and starting the their own StarWarsGame at release of Episode IX.... :( Im not very optimistic anymore
Leader of ActiveDonatorYMW (former TOP 50 Windows-Squad ActiveDonator)
We are on the way to get back in the Top50 and searching for fearless rebels fighting with us against the Empire.
Perks maxxed out at 50 and ranked in the Top200 now....

Ghostie
Commodore

Post#20 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:42 pm

GlockShanty wrote:So in this post here I stated that I believe that Zynga have taken on SWC only to extract as much cash as possible out of the Episode IX hype and then shut the game down on, or before, the 6th anniversary of the game in August 2020.

I'd like to get this prediction out there now and say that I honestly believe that this will happen, and also poll the forum and see who else feels the same way.

I sure hope it stays open... I have too much time invested...lol

I think after 6 years we all know what this game is and I wish all the belly aching posts would stop...but of course they won't.

Sure do hate to see all the people quitting (except rebs....lol ...kidding...maybe?) and I would just say to some of those people find the part of the game you enjoy and engage in it....several good options.

A.) Social: Enjoy the bonds you have with squad mates and friends you have met along the way.

B.) If your not into the frag chase then focus on wars and becoming the best you can be.

C.) If your into frag chasing load up with air and high level skins and hunt down the biggest baddest bases you can find.

D.) Do all the above.

I still enjoy playing and will continue to make the most of it until the very end. :D
WINTER IS HERE!

Return to “General Discussions”