Poll: Will Zynga close down SWC after Episode IX?

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.

Poll: Do you believe that Zynga will close down SWC after the Episode IX revenue boost dies down?

Yes
38%
No
49%
Undecided
14%
Total votes: 96

GlockShanty
Squadron Leader

Poll: Will Zynga close down SWC after Episode IX?

Post#1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:18 am

So in this post here I stated that I believe that Zynga have taken on SWC only to extract as much cash as possible out of the Episode IX hype and then shut the game down on, or before, the 6th anniversary of the game in August 2020.

I'd like to get this prediction out there now and say that I honestly believe that this will happen, and also poll the forum and see who else feels the same way.
Imperial
Officer in givethemnothing squad
Playing since August 2014

strawman3125
Major General

Re: Poll: Will Zynga close down SWC after Episode IX?

Post#2 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:31 am

I hope not...

I still have 7 years of research to clear through my research lab!

Lynch
Commander

Post#3 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:39 am

I voted no, because we still need more events to level up the naval officer and fathier, and LIN, and so on and so on.......

Still waiting on the sarcasm font.

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#4 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:53 am

strawman3125 wrote:I hope not...

I still have 7 years of research to clear through my research lab!

Lol same here
Leader ofSHADOW-GUARDrank140 148300k X
Looking forward to Ep9.

CoolGuy
Major General

Post#5 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:13 pm

Is what people believe going to make any difference?
Windows refugee with the Rogue Ewok group. Killing the Empire since 2015.
Come and visit us at RogueEwokReturn

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#6 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:57 pm

The game will continue as long as it is profitable for Zynga. Once it ceases to make Zynga money, there is no reason for it to continue.
HQ Prestige - Sons of Death

You must do what you think is right, of course.

Spock
Admiral

Post#7 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Personally I think they will want to ride the wave of that film release. Possibly right until the blurry release.

Leader of the Imperial_Enclave.

Check out our YouTube channel with almost 700 no outpost replays being shared. Quite possibly the largest collection of commander replays out there.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCW4iVRbrSDJHTBZobNNy7LA

StrikerRebel
Commodore

Post#8 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:33 am

..why should they shut down that game, the main structures only have to be supported a bit and till now they didnt do anything for that game, nothing new ! For me it makes no sense to buy the rights from disney to support SWC and shut it down after the Episode IX-Hype, Disney would proably have done so and would milk the cash-cow...this deal only make sense if zynga wants to develope that game for future
Leader of ActiveDonatorYMW (former TOP 50 Windows-Squad ActiveDonator)
We are on the way to get back in the Top50 and searching for fearless rebels fighting with us against the Empire.
Perks maxxed out at 50 and ranked in the Top200 now....

Gooner
Commodore

Post#9 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:40 am

StrikerRebel wrote:..why should they shut down that game, the main structures only have to be supported a bit and till now they didnt do anything for that game, nothing new ! For me it makes no sense to buy the rights from disney to support SWC and shut it down after the Episode IX-Hype, Disney would proably have done so and would milk the cash-cow...this deal only make sense if zynga wants to develope that game for future

+1000 Zynga are here to make money and StrikerRebel quite rightly pointed out. they've bought the rights off of Disney and will want to claim that back or at least a chunk of it. so I can't see them shutting it down so soon.

strawman3125
Major General

Post#10 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 am

Gooner wrote:
StrikerRebel wrote:..why should they shut down that game, the main structures only have to be supported a bit and till now they didnt do anything for that game, nothing new ! For me it makes no sense to buy the rights from disney to support SWC and shut it down after the Episode IX-Hype, Disney would proably have done so and would milk the cash-cow...this deal only make sense if zynga wants to develope that game for future

+1000 Zynga are here to make money and StrikerRebel quite rightly pointed out. they've bought the rights off of Disney and will want to claim that back or at least a chunk of it. so I can't see them shutting it down so soon.

It is possible that they had to buy SWC in order for them to be able to get rights to start building the other Star Wars game that they are already working on (we saw their hiring postings) and they never had any intention to do anything with this game other than maintaining it until the new movie comes out and then terminating it. If this is the case, they will put minimal effort/cost into maintaining the game until they pull the plug.

Return to “General Discussions”