All Player Stats - Data From GSoW Website

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
lukeskywalker
Admiral

Re: All Player Stats - Data From GSoW Website

Post#61 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:06 pm

ObiWanKenobi2016 wrote:I'm rather sceptical of the idea that there are many players that are not in squads and so don't appear in the GSoW database.

There will of course be people that are booted and who are between squads, but I just don't think there are many. Squads become necessary by L5 onwards, if not before.

I think the upcoming movie and the Mandalorian have had the biggest impact, but my recent squad hopping and the gsow.net war matchmaking war queue observations tell me there's a lot of players and squads not on the radar. I noticed squads getting matched with my temporary squads, that were not in the queue. Then I find out that this is their first war. The gsow.net website does not include squads that have not been in wars. I hopped into a squad and they just had their first war. Two of my 8 active bases were not in "gsow registered" squads until this week. I just had them on the sidelines or squad hopping with "unregistered" squads. I would count about 100 players not on the gsow.net radar until this week, just off the squads that I was in temporarily, opponent squads, and my two bases, that came online within the last week. Not to mention the autofill players, who say this is the first squad they were linked up with or first in a while. Some are returning players that were gone for over a year.

I will say that the autofill change did bump a lot of squads over the war threshold and made it possible for them to jump into the war queue. A lot of level 3's and 4's in those squads, so they take their lumps, but they can war now. Also visit squads that show up in the general search within the game. Many are now full at 30 members. Click on the rosters. Again, a lot of level 3's and 4's. Most likely autofilled, because there were a lot of openings just a month ago.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 25+ members, and we war twice a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

lukeskywalker
Admiral

Post#62 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:13 pm

There's a disconnect in the data that has me puzzled. The number of squads has steadily increased like clockwork from 2017-2019. Based on that, the game is growing. The number of commanders has taken a nose dive. Based on that, the game is dying. The game went from just under 12 commanders per squad to just under 6 members per squad. The peak was a tad over 12 players a squad. My understanding is the gsow.net site picks up any squad that has been in a war, and their corresponding member players. Is this assumption right or wrong? How long does it take for inactive squads to fall off the squad counts or does that count just keep growing? There are 7,496 active squads per the galaxywide stats. Taking 162,614 players for those 7,496 squads results in a 21 player average. It might be a better indicator of the squad count over time to graph. I suspect this is where the issue is.

Here's the thing. If the current (rounded) squad counts are 17,000 for Imperials and 11,000 for rebs, and these are all squads going to war, they should have at least 15 squad members to war and should not average a bit under 6 players per squad. At 15 members per squad, assuming the bare minimum to qualify, the total commander counts are actually north of 255,000 for Imperials and 165,000 for rebels. Am I misunderstanding the data and what it takes to "register" on the gsow.net radar? I get that squad counts fluctuate and there are timing issues, but a lot of squads are far above the minimum and have 20-30 members on average. That should offset any squads under 15 members and those squads would drop off the radar at some point, wouldn't they?

Based on 15 members per war squad, the floor on the commander count should be 217,500 for Imperials and 142,500 for rebels in 2017 and 255,000 Imperials and 165,000 rebels at year-end for 2019. Seems like steady growth to me. Total conflict commander count is 190,418 as of today and 162,614 in the galaxywide stat count. There's a disconnect there too. Would be interested to see if anyone has additional insight into the data, that I'm missing. If the active squad count is the "real" squad count, then the commander count starts to make more sense.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 25+ members, and we war twice a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Post#63 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:56 pm

The squad count should be ignored. It’s useless and misleading.

LosVega
Admiral

Post#64 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:43 pm

DarkRebel wrote:The squad count should be ignored. It’s useless and misleading.

Why? I'm interested in reading how gsow calculates squad population. I presume squads eventually get deleted once the last member hits the thirty day inactive mark. Prior to that is it still counted regardless of activity or minimum player threshold needed to war?
BATTALION FAMILY
WOLF, DRAGON, REDBAK, ROYALX, FALCON, GATOR
Duza's Elite & Duza's Finest - Empire
Looking for a great squad? Come by for a visit, make new friends and maul
some ass

DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Post#65 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:39 am

LosVega wrote:

Why? I'm interested in reading how gsow calculates squad population. I presume squads eventually get deleted once the last member hits the thirty day inactive mark. Prior to that is it still counted regardless of activity or minimum player threshold needed to war?

2 reasons:
I do not believe squads are deleted from the GSOW database.
A much more meaningful data is number of active squads.

LosVega
Admiral

Post#66 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:48 pm

DarkRebel wrote:
LosVega wrote:

2 reasons:

GSOW pulls squad data from the game therefore if squads are not deleted, every squad that ever existed should still be there. FACT, the first squad I joined (Yub yub something I can't remember) no longer exists as of at least 2 yrs ago. If it did, it would be listed in the database. Look up any of the old Battalion squads prior to them switching to names in lieu of numbers (3rd Battalion). No longer there so your belief is just that.....
BATTALION FAMILY
WOLF, DRAGON, REDBAK, ROYALX, FALCON, GATOR
Duza's Elite & Duza's Finest - Empire
Looking for a great squad? Come by for a visit, make new friends and maul
some ass

DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Post#67 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:11 pm

LosVega wrote:
DarkRebel wrote:
LosVega wrote:Why? I'm interested in reading how gsow calculates squad population. I presume squads eventually get deleted once the last member hits the thirty day inactive mark. Prior to that is it still counted regardless of activity or minimum player threshold needed to war?

2 reasons:

GSOW pulls squad data from the game therefore if squads are not deleted, every squad that ever existed should still be there. FACT, the first squad I joined (Yub yub something I can't remember) no longer exists as of at least 2 yrs ago. If it did, it would be listed in the database. Look up any of the old Battalion squads prior to them switching to names in lieu of numbers (3rd Battalion). No longer there so your belief is just that.....

@Spock, can you comment on the total squad count on whether it includes dead squads ?

XitLiteNtrNite
Major General

Post#68 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:07 am

I spoke with a GSoW developer.

• All squads ever inventoried are stored in the GSoW database. Those that no longer exist in Star Wars Commander as reported by SWC are flagged with a "deleted" bit in the database and (mostly) not included in any displays. Keeping the old "deleted" squads around is necessary so that the Squad War summary for squads that warred with deleted squads is correct.
  • On the Galaxy Wide Stats page, "Active Squads" is the number that are not flagged as "deleted"; "Total Amount" are all squads, including those that have been deleted.
  • If a squad's name were to change in SWC, the new name will be reflected in the database. The "old" name will be overwritten with the new name - that is, there will not be two entries, one for the old name and one for the new name.
  • There was a bug where squads that were flagged as "deleted" were included in those that are "in war" and "in matchmaking" on the Galaxy Wide Stats page. This has been corrected.
  • The Galaxy Wide Stats page shows two numbers for the total number of squads. It turns out there are 22 in the GSoW database where the faction is not known. The developer speculates that this was carried over from the old KSoD database.
In game name: Paper Tiger
Squad: CircleOf.Masters
Line ID: paper-tiger
Discord: Paper Tiger#6882

DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Post#69 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:24 am

XitLiteNtrNite wrote:I spoke with a GSoW developer.

• All squads ever inventoried are stored in the GSoW database. Those that no longer exist in Star Wars Commander as reported by SWC are flagged with a "deleted" bit in the database and (mostly) not included in any displays. Keeping the old "deleted" squads around is necessary so that the Squad War summary for squads that warred with deleted squads is correct.
  • On the Galaxy Wide Stats page, "Active Squads" is the number that are not flagged as "deleted"; "Total Amount" are all squads, including those that have been deleted.
  • If a squad's name were to change in SWC, the new name will be reflected in the database. The "old" name will be overwritten with the new name - that is, there will not be two entries, one for the old name and one for the new name.
  • There was a bug where squads that were flagged as "deleted" were included in those that are "in war" and "in matchmaking" on the Galaxy Wide Stats page. This has been corrected.
  • The Galaxy Wide Stats page shows two numbers for the total number of squads. It turns out there are 22 in the GSoW database where the faction is not known. The developer speculates that this was carried over from the old KSoD database.

Thanks for the detail answer. Much appreciated.
Total squad count DOES INCLUDE DELETED SQUADS. I was right.
Wonder if LosVega still think my belief is just that ... :). :lol:

DeathStriker

Post#70 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:25 am

GSoW Statistics Trend Analysis - UPDATE #10

Using the "initial data" and various Screenshots posted by ObiWanKenobi2016, and myself, I put the data for ACTIVE SQUAD TOTALS and COMMANDER TOTALS for each FACTION into Microsoft Excel and created two "Trend Charts" as follows:

GSoW Galaxy-Wide Stats - 01-04-2020
(Click here to view LARGER image)

SWC Active Squads by Faction Trend Analysis **New**

SWC Commanders by Faction Trend Analysis

DATA SOURCES:

• 8/30/17 to 3/1/19 - Here KSoD Data (scroll down on post)
  • 4/3/19 - Here GSoW Data Baseline
  • 5/8/19 - Here Post first SWC Event and Conflicts since Zynga took over.
  • 6/3/19 - Here
  • 7/5/19 - Here
  • 8/6/19 - Here
  • 9/1/19 - Here First Report following SWC 5th Anniversary Game Changes.
  • 10/15/19 - Here
  • 11/1/19 - Here
  • 12/5/19 - Here Post-Release of both The Mandaloran Show - and - Pre-Release of Star Wars: Episode IX.
  • 1/4/20 - (See Above) Post-Release of both The Mandaloran Show, Season 1 - and - Star Wars: Episode IX.
NEW DATA / CHART

Based upon the Post by XitLiteNtrNite shown here, I have stopped tracking Total Squads (shown in Trend Charts from 12/5/19 or Earlier) and started tracking Active Squads.

:arrow: It should be noted that "Active Squads" was not shown on KSoD (predecessor to GSoW) until 6/1/18 as shown in the post found here.

ANALYSIS:

• The overall "trend" for the number of Active Squads per Faction after leveling for a while now shows a recent dramatic ⬆ Increase. :D :D
  • The latest "trend" for the number of Commanders per Faction continues to be VERY POSTIVE, with both the Empire Faction and the Rebel Faction showing another much looked for DRAMATIC ⬆ Increase. :D :D
  • When looking at the past 3 Months the general "trend" shows a postive change in that when comparing number of Active Squads per Faction combined with the increase of the number of Commanders this clearly hints at a possible overall increase in the number of Players (both in and out of a Squad) which again is somewhat offset by the knowledge that some of these "new Commanders" may be in part existing Players creating new Accounts.
  • The release of both The Mandalorian Series - Season 1 on Disney+ and the release of Star Wars: Episode IX - Rise of Skywalker has resulted in the "positive trend" for SWC.
  • REMINDER: Values shown are for Players that are in a Squad and do not reflect the number of Players still playing SWC but have chosen to not join or be in a Squad.
Post below any comments both Pro and Con...

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 5+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

Return to “General Discussions”