Medal Dumping - Discussion Topic

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
lukeskywalker
Commodore

Re: Medal Dumping - Discussion Topic

Post#51 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:55 pm

Pirate wrote:-- CUT --

I've always thought of medals as more of an indication of activity level vs. skill. It is likely that high medal players have greater skill because of more time spent, more experience, etc. but also possible that all those medals are from barfing jumps on dev bases. There are plenty of high skill players with less medals (even more now thanks to medalgate) and plenty of terrible players with tons of medals.

Yes, medals are a combination of activity level and type (sheer volume of attacks, opponents picked, frag collection), outside factors (e.g. medal gate) and skill. Possibly 70/30 with skill at 30, if you want to put a number to it. Our squad has several good players with 3 in particular, 2 at Prestige and a level 9, that have way less medals than I do. It would not shock me if they are better players than I am. I have 90K and they have 40K or less. You see the skills in wars, even without replays. The efficiency in which they dispose of opponents, how they do without Tako and Tat, etc. Head to head, I would probably beat them more often than not, but not because of skills. Because of armory levels. My levels are at least 2-3 higher in the armory than theirs. The weapons you have are at least as important as your skills, at least with the current state of the game. Think about all the factors currently in play with medals, as Pirate says. Beating up dev bases, number of attacks, medal gate, etc. How is this even still a question?
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

CoolGuy
Major General

Post#52 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:58 pm

Been trying to think of an apt real world analogy for medal dumping - and I came up with it. It's able bodied athletes competing in the Special Olympics, pretending to have a disability and then smashing weaker opponents.
Windows refugee with the Rogue Ewok group. Killing the Empire since 2015.
Come and visit us at RogueEwokReturn

ImperialDeathStar
Commander

Post#53 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:15 pm

CoolGuy wrote:Been trying to think of an apt real world analogy for medal dumping - and I came up with it. It's able bodied athletes competing in the Special Olympics, pretending to have a disability and then smashing weaker opponents.

Brilliant - hits the nail squarely on the head! Sandbagging needs to be eradicated by Zynga. Matchmaking by HQ level alone!

lukeskywalker
Commodore

Post#54 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:16 pm

And attacking with a max armory or playing in a 15 Prestige squad in wars vs. lesser armed opponents is what? Using nukes and chemical weapons vs. an army carrying BB Guns? Hmmm ....
lukeskywalker
Leader

lukeskywalker
Commodore

Post#55 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:24 pm

If people really are that hell bent on having to prove their worth or skill level, push the devs for a tournament where both sides have the same troops, turrets, and structures (same level). Even playing field. If skill is everything, stop competing in conflicts for frags and special units, and turn off the armory. But if you continue to play for edges in PvP or wars, then expect the others to do the same. It's only fair. As a numbers guy, the last thing I would look at is medals, if I really wanted to determine who the best player in swc is. Looking through the data would be interesting for sure.
lukeskywalker
Leader

CoolGuy
Major General

Post#56 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:20 pm

CoolGuy wrote:Hey I've got an idea, instead of match making being based on a complicated equation of medal count and base strength, why not just make it on HQ level? How about just one up and one down - that is you can attack one above and one below your HQ level?

Is that just pie in the sky, or a simple way to improve match making? It would certainly make the sandbaggers cry.

Have a look at the leader on Er'Kit and you'll see why the above policy needs to be implemented.

Boog
Grand Admiral

Post#57 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:42 am

CoolGuy wrote:
CoolGuy wrote:Hey I've got an idea, instead of match making being based on a complicated equation of medal count and base strength, why not just make it on HQ level? How about just one up and one down - that is you can attack one above and one below your HQ level?

Is that just pie in the sky, or a simple way to improve match making? It would certainly make the sandbaggers cry.

Have a look at the leader on Er'Kit and you'll see why the above policy needs to be implemented.

I can only hope Zynga fixes matchmaking. Sandbagging could be eliminated easily if matchmaking were only tied to hq level and the devs tried to stop handicapping matches. I really do not see the downside.

CoolGuy
Major General

Post#58 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:59 am

Logged off for 7 hours overnight on Tako. 10 defensive wins with 5 of them being medal dumpers. Crazy concept as it just pushed me a little closer to UC.

strawman3125
Commodore

Post#59 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:27 pm

CoolGuy wrote:Been trying to think of an apt real world analogy for medal dumping - and I came up with it. It's able bodied athletes competing in the Special Olympics, pretending to have a disability and then smashing weaker opponents.

No matter how low my medals, I almost never see bases withe weaker base scores so I am not sure where you are getting this idea from...

strawman3125
Commodore

Post#60 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:40 pm

CoolGuy wrote:

As far as attacking down great goes this was implemented a long time ago, you can only attack 1 base level below yours.

So that prestige mini base on erkit right now is only being matched with HQ10s. He is probably only getting around 300 conflict points per win so he is needs to be putting a LOT of hours in. Pretty much anyone willing to put in 16 hours non stop every day into the game could make it to the top 50 boards like that...

Return to “General Discussions”