Medal Dumping - Discussion Topic

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
ImperialDeathStar
Commander

Re: Medal Dumping - Discussion Topic

Post#41 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:47 pm

PvP matchmaking should only put you against opponents of the same HQ level, or higher. It should be impossible to attack a base with an HQ level of less than one's own.

War matchmaking should simply be based on combined HQ levels.

I don't see how what I have just suggested could be exploited by wimpy sandbaggers at all.

The long and short of it is medals matter. They are an indicator of both experience and skill and are the currency of kudos. I truly hope Zynga fixes matchmaking to make it independent of medals, and I hope all these sandbaggers get burnt in the process. They seem a whingey wimpy lot to me and the game would benefit greatly if their activities were to be disincentivised overnight.
Last edited by ImperialDeathStar on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StrikerRebel
Commodore

Post#42 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:56 pm

I´m proud, that we dont have any sandbagger in my squad, we had a squad of players who wanne develope, in medalcount, baselayout, troop-equipment and in attack and defense skills, all wanne grow. Sandbagger are for me like worms under the skin, itching a bit and feeding from others, but destroying his host slowly, depending on how much doing that sandbagging shit, bc matchmaking then will getting more and more ridiculous. My solution for all sandbaggers here is, learn how to attack and enjoy the game by creating a strong base and get pleasure with every victory against a high leveld imp and winning defenses....its a long way I know, but free you from sandbagging, it dont feed your souls ;)
Leader of ActiveDonatorYMW (former TOP 50 Windows-Squad ActiveDonator)
We are on the way to get back in the Top50 and searching for fearless rebels fighting with us against the Empire.
Perks maxxed out at 50 and ranked in the Top200 now....

TNT
Admiral

Post#43 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 am

lukeskywalker wrote:*snip*

Luke, you make good posts. A bit long, but very well thought out.

But:
lukeskywalker wrote:Midge, just not going to change my approach because other people think I should be doing it there way.

Don't argue with Midge. It's not worth it.
He'll just throw a tantrum again. He's an internet tough guy and can't handle criticism and nothing to say. It's why he doesn't readexample 1
example 2:
Midge wrote:OMG ... I can only assume that is a really long post to explain why some people are afraid to compete ... No worries ... keep on keeping on.

either. Because that's a bit to much to ask.

ImperialDeathStar wrote:PvP matchmaking should only put you against opponents of the same HQ level, or higher. It should be impossible to attack a base with an HQ level of less than one's own.

War matchmaking should simply be based on combined HQ levels.

I don't see how what I have just suggested could be exploited by wimpy sandbaggers at all.

The long and short of it is medals matter. They are an indicator of both experience and skill and are the currency of kudos. I truly hope Zynga fixes matchmaking to make it independent of medals, and I hope all these sandbaggers get burnt in the process. They seem a whingey wimpy lot to me and the game would benefit greatly if their activities were to be forbidden overnight.

I completely agree with the HQ requirement. Attacking down should only be allowed in a revenge.

I think that if you limit the HQs as you said, add the armory to the matchmaking and then use the medal count to fine tune that you could have an excellent matchmaking algorithm.

I also think the effect is slightly overstated here in this thread. I only get matched up with bases that look the same as mine. (Except Imperial.)
Maybe if you go all the way to 1 that you start seeing bases way lower, but that sounds like it's way to much effort.
Join the OuterRimRioters.
We have spare rooms. :) Also available in trial version. We have a 100% optional discord and war regularly.

darthdoodie
Major General

Post#44 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:34 am

ImperialDeathStar wrote:The long and short of it is medals matter. They are an indicator of both experience and skill and are the currency of kudos. I truly hope Zynga fixes matchmaking to make it independent of medals, and I hope all these sandbaggers get burnt in the process. They seem a whingey wimpy lot to me and the game would benefit greatly if their activities were to be forbidden overnight.

You really have no idea. You should have just left like you said you would (viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23800&p=88942#p88942) instead of continously making foolish
statements. A few weeks ago you didnt accept that people deliberately lost medals, now its such a problem the "game would benefit greatly" if it was stopped? :roll:

TNT wrote:I also think the effect is slightly overstated here in this thread. I only get matched up with bases that look the same as mine. (Except Imperial.)
Maybe if you go all the way to 1 that you start seeing bases way lower, but that sounds like it's way to much effort.

It is most certainly overstated here. It will only be a small percentage of the playing population that medal dumps, and a much smaller percentage that extreme dumps down to 100 or less medals. Even then, they still only see one HQ level below. But why let facts get in the way of a good old whinge?!

The game is about frags (above HQ6). If you want truly fair MM, frags/armory needs to factored in somehow. Not just HQ, and certainly not medals.

Spirit
Major General

Post#45 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:36 am

You have to laugh at statements on here that say medals bring kudos and show your skill.
mini bases have loads of medals but no skill as they attack little bases.
many players dump medals so low medals does not imply anything.
It reminds me of youths feeling "on trend" by tucking undone laces in their trainers. They feel big and important, while everyone else laughs at their foolishness. Think medals, think laces. :lol: :lol: :lol: :x :lol:
Player name Dog. Biting rebs across the galaxy.

CoolGuy
Admiral

Post#46 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:40 am

Spirit wrote:You have to laugh at statements on here that say medals bring kudos and show your skill.
mini bases have loads of medals but no skill as they attack little bases.
many players dump medals so low medals does not imply anything.
It reminds me of youths feeling "on trend" by tucking undone laces in their trainers. They feel big and important, while everyone else laughs at their foolishness. Think medals, think laces. :lol: :lol: :lol: :x :lol:

If you have skills, then why do you need to dump medals? It's because you are incapable of taking on people at your level, so you artificially lower your level to get easier matches. Medal dumping = cowardice.
Windows refugee with the Rogue Ewok group. Killing the Empire since 2015.
Come and visit us at RogueEwokReturn

Pirate
Admiral

Post#47 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:23 am

I just don't get all the effort that goes into dumping medals. How much time does it take to lose enough attacks (even just dropping a deka and quitting) to make any perceivable difference in matchmaking? 25,000 medals doubles your basescore in the old ABS equation. Even to dump a quarter of that amount is over 150 losses at 40 medals each.

I've always thought of medals as more of an indication of activity level vs. skill. It is likely that high medal players have greater skill because of more time spent, more experience, etc. but also possible that all those medals are from barfing jumps on dev bases. There are plenty of high skill players with less medals (even more now thanks to medalgate) and plenty of terrible players with tons of medals.
ⒹⒶⓇⓀⓈⒾⒹⒺ
Imperial Squad

Windows Survivor

strawman3125
Admiral

Post#48 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:47 am

Pirate wrote:I just don't get all the effort that goes into dumping medals. How much time does it take to lose enough attacks (even just dropping a deka and quitting) to make any perceivable difference in matchmaking? 25,000 medals doubles your basescore in the old ABS equation. Even to dump a quarter of that amount is over 150 losses at 40 medals each.

My experience has been that for my Prestige base and my mini base, dumping medals is not worth it, they can both win just fine at their 60k and 20k medals. The prestige base it at the top of the game and can never to matched against a higher level base and my HQ7 mini base usually faces maxed out HQ6 bases which it can beat. Both bases only lose about 20 medals for each attack loss with the Prestige base gaining 40 per attack win defense win . If I wanted to keep my medals down with the prestige base I would literally have to lose 2 times as many battles after each conflict and the mini base needs to lose just as many as it wins and given that it need 150-400 wins per UC per conflict, that would take a lot of time to drop! I sometime go for 4 USc with my mini base and that's over 1000 wins in one week... There aren't enough hours between the end of one conflict and the beginning of the next to drop all of those medals.

Where it actually pays off is with my HQ8 and HQ9 bases. When they get to around 5000 medals they are matched with MAXED base score HQ10 and HQPrestige bases ONLY, and it is almost impossible to get any 3 stars, with 2 stars and 1 stars being more common. This means that if I have medals, it's almost impossible to get one UC in a conflict, let alone multiple. Not only is it not fun to play when every single battle is a struggle, but you have little chance of unlocking new units/gear. If I drop my medals down to below 1000 with these accounts I start to actually find opponents only 1 HQ level higher than they are and I can actually get 3 star wins again, which enables me to get into UC! Dumping the 5000 medals after each conflict does take time, though, several hours each week... (Note: Going down to 1000 medals is still not low enough to start seeing any bases that are actually weaker then my base, it's just enough to start seeing some bases that are only 1 level higher than mine rather than 2-3 levels higher than mine.)

I have no idea why this game seems to like to penalize experienced players and make it harder for them to unlock new units/equipment than it is for newer players. I guess it's about the money... hook them with easy loot at the beginning and then make it almost impossible to get the same loot later on so they have to pay.

PhoenixAZ1899
Admiral

Post#49 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:07 am

strawman3125 wrote:I guess it's about the money... hook them with easy loot at the beginning and then make it almost impossible to get the same loot later on so they have to pay.

"An ever increasing craving for an ever diminishing pleasure is the formula." -C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters
Former SWC player; base is now a tumbleweed farm and Imperial quintain
[glow=yellow[/glow]

lukeskywalker
Major General

Post#50 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:53 am

I think a lot of us are actually saying the same thing. It's not that prevalent, useful only for certain specific reasons, take way too much time and effort in some instances, etc. Any prestige or other base does just fine with under 100K medals. I'm fine with 90K medals. I have heard 140K medals is an issue for some, e.g. no dev bases to hit on some planets during conflicts so they stopped competing on those planets. Keeping medals down on mini bases set up as feeders is not that hard. Minimal attacks, since all you want is an unlock of a special unit. That base feeds other requests, e.g. you always have togs, bikes, A-5's or whatever cooked. You need about 100 wins on Tat for every event to unlock. You dump the medals naturally daily, as you just hit objectives for more crates. Dump pathfinders, dump banthas. Wins are not important for that base, so you don't accumulate medals very fast.

Those mini bases are not meant to reach 100K medals. Just there to help squad mates or your main base when no one else is on. They help a lot during wars, because you don't need to reset your load outs. I think this is much to do about nothing. High level armories vs. low level armories, stacked squads with 15 Prestige bases stomping on lesser squads, etc. are far worse of a problem than medal dumping. I find it especially ironic, when players have lost medals and are now operating as medal dumpers or are in stacked 15 Prestige base squads arguing clubbing baby seals. Unintentional maybe, but they are.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

Return to “General Discussions”