Medal Dumping - Discussion Topic

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
darthdoodie
Major General
Posts: 263

Re: What is medal dumping?

Post#21 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:29 am

ImperialDeathStar wrote:
CoolGuy wrote:I disagree vehemently with the concept of dumping medals. Your medal level is a mark of your experience and skill as a player. If you choose to dump medals to get easier matches then you defeat the whole purpose of the game.


Totally agree.


Totally disagree

I've seen many high level, previously medal capped players lose to my (level 9) base. Most didn't even try and lure SC or appear to have any plan to deal with SC. Most didn't even drop shocks and lost half their troops to traps.

If medals reflect skill and experience, then they should be the best. Yet they employed next to no apparent tactics. Medals are skewed by dev bases. If you want to reflect skill/experience, remove ALL medals acquired from hitting dev bases.

On the point of the purpose of that game...what is that? Build a Max base? You can play next to no PvP and just get war loot to do that with low medals

Max out medals? You can just hit dev bases all day long and collect medals with next to no skill.

Collect frags? HDs will get you a long way. Otherwise conflicts for certain units. If you go the conflict route, then good PvP matches are beneficial. It's going to be very difficult to UC more than 1 planet hitting live bases of equivalent strength, requiring air and frequent SC. I know....I just scraped UC on tako with 41K gears, hitting ONLY live prestige bases. Never again! If people are after frags and keeping medals low aids getting UC, then go for it. Otherwise you can just slog it out and complain how you can't make UC (or better yet, blame macro players....).


strawman3125
Admiral
Posts: 594

Re: What is medal dumping?

Post#22 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:20 am

I completely agree! We are all playing the game to have fun and we each derive fun from the game in different ways! Apples to oranges.

As far as I can tell the primary purpose of medals is to control the difficulty of the game (the opponents that you face) and since the devs gave us the ability to control our medal counts it allows us to 'choose' the difficulty of the game, either by acquiring medals or by dropping them. (I would much rather just have two attack buttons: 1. I want to fight an opponent at my base level for conflicts/events/objectives, 2. I want a challenge)

I am a little confused to see some players complaining about players that choose to play the game at a lower difficulty setting (by dropping medals). If you choose to play the game at extreme/suicide level, by collecting medals, go for it, but, why do you care if others are choosing to play at normal level or difficult level, by keeping their medal count lower. It does not affect them at all!

As far as medal representing player skill... I am pretty sure that most of the medals held by players these days come from dev bases which require no skill at all. The next major source of medals is defensive wins these days, which also requires no skill. (Anyone can build a base and set all of the turrets to double skinned bursts along with a few sonics and win hundreds of defensive wins per week.) Another top source for medals these days is other players dumping them on you. None of these sources of medals requires or represents skill in any way. At best medals represent the amount of time and effort that someone puts into the game, which is in no way an indicator of skill, anyone can do it, skilled or unskilled.

The main problem with medals is that they break the matching algorithm! Medals are weighted so highly in matching that you often face opponents that have a far higher HQ level and base score once you have collected some medals. This means that medals affect players of different levels differently because if you are already one of the top 1%'ers (those who had maxed out HQ10 bases, now Prestige bases) this has almost no impact on you as there are no higher level bases for you to be matched against where as if you are HQ 8 or 9, you can easily be matched up with HQ10/Prestige bases. In fact my HQ 8 & HQ 9 bases are facing opponents with the exact same base scores as my maxed out HQ10 (now prestige base). That's broken! And it make sense that the top 1%'ers don't care as much about having tons of medals because they will never face a more powerful base no matter how many medals they have (just better configurations/layouts of the exact same base score) and why lower HQs will find the game almost impossible once they start acquiring medals until they do max out their bases at HQ10/Prestige. This encourages player to spend money to get there faster!


User avatar
Midge
Grand Admiral
Posts: 1231

Re: What is medal dumping?

Post#23 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:31 am

Ah ... this thread is great!

Medal dumping and sandbagging is literally for one thing and one thing only ... easier matches and the chance to face off against people who are very casual and have no idea what they are doing.

It is for people who don't like challenging themselves and think that the game is only fun if they can roll over other people who are as crappy as they are.

Any other argument is total crap and a lie to hide the fact that they are so insecure in the possibiltiy they might lose an attack or a war against someone, so, they beat on littler, dumber opponents only.

It is for the weak and the scared. There really is no other logical argument, though they will continue to try.

Personally, I don't get at all how this can be fun, but, while I may get my ass handed to me plenty, I am not scared of the challenge or the failures, so to each their own.
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed


User avatar
DeathStriker
Moderator
Posts: 5716

Re: Medal Dumping - Discussion Topic

Post#24 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:32 am

ONE POINT NOT MENTIONED...

While dumping Medals to get easier Matchmaking might be a valid game playing strategy for some Players the process of dumping Medals does effect your Squads "Ranking" within the Game.

For Squads whom have pride in, and place importance on, their Squad Leaderboard Ranking in the game, they may not like their Members dumping Medals as this may (for right or wrong) effect how their Squad is "perceived" by other Players.

    To dump, or not to dump, that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The death and destruction of outrageous matchmaking,
    Or to take Action against a world of troubles,
    And by opposing end them..
    .

    (Apologies to Shakespeare from which I borrowed quote found here)
Let the discussion continue...
 
Image
Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!


User avatar
Harshit
Major General
Posts: 355

Re: Medal Dumping - Discussion Topic

Post#25 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:42 am

DeathStriker wrote:ONE POINT NOT MENTIONED...

While dumping Medals to get easier Matchmaking might be a valid game playing strategy for some Players the process of dumping Medals does effect your Squads "Ranking" within the Game.

For Squads whom have pride in, and place importance on, their Squad Leaderboard Ranking in the game, they may not like their Members dumping Medals as this may (for right or wrong) effect how their Squad is "perceived" by other Players.

    To dump, or not to dump, that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The death and destruction of outrageous matchmaking,
    Or to take Action against a world of troubles,
    And by opposing end them..
    .

    (Apologies to Shakespeare from which I borrowed quote found here)
Let the discussion continue...

But 1-2 players part of a squad and are not super active in the game and dump their medals, if the squad is not like a top 20-50 rank squad but rather 700-1000+ may not make much of a diffrence(my opinion).
MIgrated from Windows from former squad HOLCRON HORROR. NOW shifted to android/ios in the squad HH-resurrectionand and our sister squad at HH-Insurrection. Apply now and be loyal to the EMPEROR.


User avatar
Ghost666
Major General
Posts: 372

Re: Medal Dumping - Discussion Topic

Post#26 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:47 am

Never cared about medals...never looked for them...never dumped them...

Life is easier if you simply don't care...just upgrade away and attack what you want...

(I like to win attacks...so i always try to...never thoght much about it)
"All Walls Must Die" - Imperial Sniper Corps Unofficial Motto
VADER523 SQUAD - Positions Open


User avatar
Midge
Grand Admiral
Posts: 1231

Re: Medal Dumping - Discussion Topic

Post#27 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:15 am

Ghost666 wrote:Never cared about medals...never looked for them...never dumped them...

Life is easier if you simply don't care...just upgrade away and attack what you want...

(I like to win attacks...so i always try to...never thoght much about it)


This is somewhat solid as a good argument for how the game should be played by people who don't want to stress out too much.

I got crushed by Medal Gate and have not cared about medals really at all since then. It has made me able to pick and choose who I attack more, but, I am not able to see the monsters I once saw without skipping alot, which is frustrating if I am in the mood for that.

I don't mind people not really caring about medals that much, but medal dumping, to me, seems the entire counterpoint of playing a game. It is done to pick on those not as good or smaller than you and because you are scared of the challenge of getting better.

What is the point in playing in that case?
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed


User avatar
Harshit
Major General
Posts: 355

Re: Medal Dumping - Discussion Topic

Post#28 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:17 am

Midge wrote:
Ghost666 wrote:Never cared about medals...never looked for them...never dumped them...

Life is easier if you simply don't care...just upgrade away and attack what you want...

(I like to win attacks...so i always try to...never thoght much about it)


This is somewhat solid as a good argument for how the game should be played by people who don't want to stress out too much.

I got crushed by Medal Gate and have not cared about medals really at all since then. It has made me able to pick and choose who I attack more, but, I am not able to see the monsters I once saw without skipping alot, which is frustrating if I am in the mood for that.

I don't mind people not really caring about medals that much, but medal dumping, to me, seems the entire counterpoint of playing a game. It is done to pick on those not as good or smaller than you and because you are scared of the challenge of getting better.

What is the point in playing in that case?

+10000!
MIgrated from Windows from former squad HOLCRON HORROR. NOW shifted to android/ios in the squad HH-resurrectionand and our sister squad at HH-Insurrection. Apply now and be loyal to the EMPEROR.


User avatar
CoolGuy
Admiral
Posts: 572

Re: Medal Dumping - Discussion Topic

Post#29 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:57 pm

Hey I've got an idea, instead of match making being based on a complicated equation of medal count and base strength, why not just make it on HQ level? How about just one up and one down - that is you can attack one above and one below your HQ level?

Is that just pie in the sky, or a simple way to improve match making? It would certainly make the sandbaggers cry.
Windows refugee with the Rogue Ewok group. Killing the Empire since 2015.
Come and visit us at RogueEwokReturn


User avatar
Midge
Grand Admiral
Posts: 1231

Re: Medal Dumping - Discussion Topic

Post#30 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:18 pm

CoolGuy wrote:Hey I've got an idea, instead of match making being based on a complicated equation of medal count and base strength, why not just make it on HQ level? How about just one up and one down - that is you can attack one above and one below your HQ level?

Is that just pie in the sky, or a simple way to improve match making? It would certainly make the sandbaggers cry.


Well ... it is an OK thought, except ... I mean Level 9 is clearly much better than Level 8. And then you would just have people stay at Max 9 picking on new 8s.

Also, there are only like 21 players who account for the 100k active profiles. :D
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ATAT88, Jax, Tamarack, wesman21 and 32 guests