War!!!

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
lukeskywalker
Major General

Re: War!!!

Post#31 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:27 am

TerribleTwo wrote:I do notice if I leave our 1 prestige out, the matches are a bit more even. The stats you mention are us without using prestige and only a small handful of 9s and 10s. Just a bummer that some of my top players can't be included unless we want to fight all max squads.

...we keep trying but some are losing steam.

TerribleTwo,

I see what you are saying. We went through that period where we left off Prestige bases to get fair matchups for our level 4-9 players. I launch before I go to sleep. Seems to work best for our squad. It does mean the wars start between 6am to 10am EST. I can see the frustration there. I can see the Line app being important even if you don't participate in those planned wars. You will know when not to launch. I think our squad is in a good spot right now at 400-440 ranking. Matchups take an hour to three hours on average, but 9 times out of 10, they are good.
Last edited by DeathStriker on Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Topic Post - Added Quote for Clarity
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

ObiWanKenobi2016
Grand Admiral

Post#32 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:59 am

TerribleTwo wrote:I do notice if I leave our 1 prestige out, the matches are a bit more even. The stats you mention are us without using prestige and only a small handful of 9s and 10s. Just a bummer that some of my top players can't be included unless we want to fight all max squads.

...we keep trying but some are losing steam.

@Terrible Two, Please bear in mind that KSoD is an unofficial website. It was created by players in their spare time to see which squads were doing well in Squad Wars and enabling them to compete. The KSoD rankings have no impact whatsoever on how the game matches squads. The matchmaking algorithm does not take them into account in any way.

As for the fairness of your matchmaking, I understand completely. In my last squad we faced similar issues. If we had our top bases in the War Party, we got matched with maxed out squads, if we left them out it was fairer.

Please also bear in mind that the fairness of the match isn't necessarily based on how long your squad has been waiting. It may be that the other squad has been waiting for 24 hours or more.

My current squad, Sons of Death, frequently waits for 10-24 hours before getting a match. Our War Party contains mostly Prestige bases. We've been having long or very long waits for matchmaking for the last month or so. In one of our recent efforts, we went 48 hours without a match, and had to re-initiate the matchmaking process.

The underlying problem with matchmaking is the number of squads in the matchmaking window. If there aren't that many in the pool, the matches become less fair, as the algorithm 'does its best' with what's available.

The last month is the first month that both factions saw an increase in player numbers since the release of 'Last Jedi' in cinemas. It wasn't much of an increase, but it was an increase. For the previous months it had been a steady decline.

What's changed is the introduction of Prestige Level, and new GR for both factions. The long desired GR Sharpshooters, has certainly renewed my interest in conflicts, I know that!

The change of ownership of the game to Zynga seems to have triggered these new developments, and it is to be welcomed.

If you're squad is not already involved in the LINE community, I strongly encourage you and your squad mates to join it. There's a lot of help out there, and it can only make you stronger as a player and a squad.
HQ Prestige - Sons of Death

You must do what you think is right, of course.

lukeskywalker
Major General

Post#33 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:48 pm

ObiWan is correct. The rankings are fun, but they have flaws. We were ranked 440, but I can tell you that we do not have a stacked squad. We have 6 Prestige bases, after losing one to the Amazon fiasco. Of those 6, only 4 are experienced players. The other 2 have built up their bases over time, but have not logged enough attacks to deal with other Prestige bases, even with Tako and Tat. I always look at wins (offensive and defensive), to gain some perspective on how active that player has been. What we have is a strong core group of 8-10 players, with strong coordination. Since 4 of those players were on Amazon, we may be rebuilding, which means our rank will be deceptively high. We lost our last war 31-37, where those 4 players would have made a difference. Our rank has also fluctuated from 440-1200 in the last few months, so there's not much separating the top 1200-1500 squads. The squad rankings do not correlate with HQ levels, and I personally take HQ levels with a grain of salt. I will take a strong level 8 player over a mediocre Prestige player in wars.

We have an interesting war coming up with a squad called Chuck-Knuckles. If a player from that squad is on this board, chime in. We have our 6 Prestige, 5 level 9's, 2 level 8's and 2 level 7's. They have 14 Prestige bases and a level 10. Having said that, I think we have a shot. They are all legit Prestige bases, based on base score. All over 3,000. However, their war record is 146-197-9. They are 3-7 in their last 10 wars, and have scored 45 in just one of those 10. This one is intriguing because they have the wins on an individual level, but the war record is not syncing up with the individual data. I'm assuming they have had issues syncing up attacks. We are 8-2 in our last 10 and 111-50-13 overall. We have scored 45 in 6 of the last 10. Three wars were no Tako and Tat wars, and one was with an elite all Prestige squad, that we faced for the 2nd time. I'm looking forward to this war.
lukeskywalker
Leader

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

lukeskywalker
Major General

Post#34 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:10 pm

Here are some interesting squad rankings, with faction, record, squad composition noted:

Squad ..........AK-47-RF
Faction ........ Rebel
KSOD Rank .... 255
War Record ... 50-21-7
Squad Composition
--Prestige ... 4
--Level 10 ... 2
--Level 9 .....7
--Level 8 ..... 6
--Level 7 .... 1
--The rest ... 3

Squad ..........POLSKA-2017
Faction ........ Empire
KSOD Rank .... 3959
War Record ... 104-56-11
Squad Composition
--Prestige ... 10
--Level 10 ... 4
--Level 9 .... 4
--Level 8 ..... 1
--Level 7 .... 2
--The rest ... 3

Squad ..........KoreanEmpire
Faction ........ Empire
KSOD Rank .... 4362
War Record ... 108-28-10
Squad Composition
--Prestige ... 4
--Level 10 ... 3
--Level 9 .... 3
--Level 8 ..... 3
--Level 7 .... 4
--The rest ... 3

Squad ..........Solo's_Finest
Faction ........ Rebel
KSOD Rank .... 319
War Record ... 291-77-19
Squad Composition
--Prestige ... 6
--Level 10 ... 2
--Level 9 .....4
--Level 8 ..... 6
--Level 7 .... 2
--The rest ... 10
lukeskywalker
Leader

Chaotic999
Commodore

Post#35 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:50 am

Something to take into account when starting a war may help get better matching.

Some of these so called "Elite" squads or smart arses as I like to call them are playing a lot of no ops restricted and unrestricted wars so they all get together in their little knitting circles on LINE app and synchronize war start times so they can try and match up with each other. As far as I can tell they always start on the hour or half past the hour, so you might want to start wars at 10 to the hour or 10 past etc to avoid these squads, it might not help rebs so much as you seem to have to wait a long time for match ups, but might be useful to imps. Maybe someone from a LINE group who knows what start times to avoid could post here as it helps them to avoid wars they don't want also.
ⒹⒶⓇⓀⓈⒾⒹⒺ Disney owe me 78727 medals and Zynga no help either
#Medalgate victim support helpline 999-999-999-mouse

Fisherman
Commodore

Post#36 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:56 am

Wednesdays and Fridays... Usual start time is 16:00 East coast time (21:00 GMT). Rebs sometimes go in 10 - 20 minutes before the Imps.

I’m not part of any ‘eite’ or ‘smart arse squad’, but have participated. There is a lot to be said for it - no 45-45 snooze fest, attack when the time permits for Real Life as there is no rushing while outposts are under your control, many groups record/share attacks with each other to improve or get new ideas.

lukeskywalker
Major General

Post#37 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:50 am

This is a little off topic from the core of the thread, but be careful with removing units during wars. You can end up having your attack crash mid war or freeze up at the end, even after you 100% a base. We have had that happen. The key culprit is when players are cooking units for other players requests, and someone beats them to it with samples. The player then removes the unit he/she did not intend to use on their attack and the subsequent war attack crashes. We had that happen a couple of times since the remove feature was added. Initially we thought it was a server or connection issue, but on each of the crashes, our members did confirm they removed a unit before the attack.

The only way around that, seems to be to launch a regular attack as a reset or remove additional units where you are not near the transport capacity. Even if it's just one unit where you take the loss, and get back to the war. Not ideal for so many reasons. Removing additional units, means you need to wait out additional cook times. If it's just one unit you cooked for someone, I may sometimes run with it now, even though it's not ideal. With Tako or Tat in play, it doesn't matter much, since it is very easy to 3 star in those wars. Our current war has Tako in play, and our 8's and 9's were 3 starring Prestige bases with weaker layouts this morning. Only one misfire in the first hour and a half, so we are up 44-7. It just shows that with Tako and Tat, there's very little separating level 8's through Prestige. Non Tako/Tat wars are another story.
lukeskywalker
Leader

DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Post#38 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:53 am

lukeskywalker wrote:This is a little off topic from the core of the thread, but be careful with removing units during wars. You can end up having your attack crash mid war or freeze up at the end, even after you 100% a base. We have had that happen. The key culprit is when players are cooking units for other players requests, and someone beats them to it with samples. The player then removes the unit he/she did not intend to use on their attack and the subsequent war attack crashes. We had that happen a couple of times since the remove feature was added. Initially we thought it was a server or connection issue, but on each of the crashes, our members did confirm they removed a unit before the attack.

The only way around that, seems to be to launch a regular attack as a reset or remove additional units where you are not near the transport capacity. Even if it's just one unit where you take the loss, and get back to the war. Not ideal for so many reasons. Removing additional units, means you need to wait out additional cook times. If it's just one unit you cooked for someone, I may sometimes run with it now, even though it's not ideal. With Tako or Tat in play, it doesn't matter much, since it is very easy to 3 star in those wars. Our current war has Tako in play, and our 8's and 9's were 3 starring Prestige bases with weaker layouts this morning. Only one misfire in the first hour and a half, so we are up 44-7. It just shows that with Tako and Tat, there's very little separating level 8's through Prestige. Non Tako/Tat wars are another story.

Interesting.
Would restart the app (before attack) fix the issue ?

lukeskywalker
Major General

Post#39 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:18 pm

Dark,

That's a thought. I will try that in a war where we have margin for error.
lukeskywalker
Leader

Shelendil
Admiral

Post#40 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:21 pm

Restarting fixes all the sc and transport errors. I frequently restart before a war attack.
ShadyRebels24
You know you wanna be shady ;)

Return to “General Discussions”