War!!!

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
erfs
Commodore

Re: War!!!

Post#21 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:58 am

Spirit wrote:Always lots of good discussion about squad wars on here.
I
My own view for war (and pvp) is that hq should be the only factor in the algorithm. So in pvp , a lev8 should face a lev8. If someone has only just upgraded hq, then they should be facing more developed bases but of same hq lev and expect to be hit hard.
For war, total up all 15 HQs.
It would stop sandbagging and some of the silly matches we get now.

Totally agree - in my Imp squad - three prestige, one L10 and then a few L9 and all the way down to L4 squad got matched to all prestige or 12 prestige and three "low" level (10-8) bases in the last couple of squad wars. And for some of these, we are talking L50 Droidekas for many of their bases.

While some were ranked lower than us, they all got to us, and the more often this match up happens, the less motivated everyone is.

Wars used to be fun when matched to more or less even base score / level bases. This way, everyone had a target to attack but now our lower level bases mostly have little to do except for get OP early on (if you have the planet) and on the other squad every player can take pretty much every OP even at max level. Even trying a blitz often ends abruptly when all OP are back and higher level players have to decide between getting the OP or trying to attack.

lukeskywalker
Commodore

Post#22 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:19 pm

I think this all goes back to participation and not HQ, Squad Rank, or any other metric. If you have a squad that has 3 Prestige, 3 10's, 3 9's, 3 8's, 3 7's, 3 6's, you can't be matched up with an equivalent squad if there's no equivalent squad entering into the matchmaking queue. The problem is more than half of the squads entering wars, are in the top 1000, while probably 40% or less are in the top 1000-4000+. We face a top 600 squad about 70% of the time, and top 1000 squad 90% of the time. We win 70% of those wars. When looking at their records, they are winning more than half of their wars. That means the other squads, we and our opponents are facing, are mostly cannon fodder. They don't have the activity level or outpost/attack knowledge to compete regardless of HQ level.

As a previous poster mentioned, the only other option is to get on the line app and arrange wars and cross your fingers that you can sync up. The matchmaking algorithm is currently designed to find you a match up within 24-48 hours, so it will force the match up if you don't have a comparable squad in the queue, but it is designed to find a comparable squad initially. That means if you have a bad matchup, there were no comparable squads in the queue. Therefore, no fair matchup was available to begin with. No programming can fix that. I can't find a one on one basketball matchup that works for me, if only Lebron James, Steph Curry, KD, etc. are in the matchmaking queue. I am also out of luck if only 4 players like me are in the queue ahead of me, and I'm number 5 ... the last in line. The first 4 get matched up, and I'm standing there left with the professionals.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

TerribleTwo
Officer

Post#23 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:45 pm

It is crap matchmaking.

We were matched in seconds against AmericaSur.

AmericaSur:
KSOD rank = 193
15 prestige

ImperialPirates:
KSOD rank = 1729
1 prestige
3 10's
4 9's
2 8's
2 7's
1 6
2 5's

Explain how that is even close. They got 45 on us in 10 minutes. Tat, Tako, and Dand are the OP. Was matched is SECONDS against a top squad. Am i to believe that there was NO other possible match? This is BS and is killing the last thing in the game worth a damn.
Leader of theImperialPirates

lukeskywalker
Commodore

Post#24 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:43 pm

TerribleTwo,

Not sure what to say, except I have never experienced that in all the squads I have been in. Good or bad. If the match happens almost instantly, the match is even, at least for my bases and squads. When the matchup takes 1-8 hours, the matchups tend to be more unbalanced, but only once did we see a matchup like you described. It took several hours of churning though. I don't recall a matchup going past 8 hours. The KSOD ranks have been between 400 and 3,000 for the squads that I have been in. It's possible it's been dumb luck. Sorry to hear that some people are experiencing issues like that.
lukeskywalker
Leader

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

lukeskywalker
Commodore

Post#25 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:52 pm

Our war tomorrow is this (Hoth, Erkit, Dando OP's):

Onewiththeforce (Our squad)
Prestige ... 5
lvl 10 ...... 2
lvl 9 ....... 5
lvl 8 ....... 1
lvl 7 ....... 2

LordAdvocates
Prestige ... 6
lvl 10 ...... 4
lvl 9 ....... 4
lvl 8 ....... 1

The matchmaking ran about 2 hours. Fairly typical, and I'm assuming since it was running long and is a fairly even match, we probably sat in the queue until they entered into matchmaking. Just an assumption though.
lukeskywalker
Leader

lukeskywalker
Commodore

Post#26 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:06 pm

TerribleTwo,

I just checked your war record on KSOD, and now I am a bit confused. Your squad is 80-34-8 overall and 5-4-1 in the last 10. I'm not sure how bad the matchups could be. Your last 10 wars have been 45-45, 45-31, 45-20, 35-39, 43-29, 45-41, 26-45, 45-7, 24-36. Squad ranks were 648, 3006, 1871, 438, Unranked, 1372, 322, 2596, 235, 77. Your variance on the squad ranks is a little more extreme than our squad see's, but I did mention that squads outside of the top 1000 must probably have a smaller pool. I would not be surprised that there may be an occasional clunker, but your record would seem to indicate that the majority of the matchups are within the definition of fair.
lukeskywalker
Leader

TerribleTwo
Officer

Post#27 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:42 am

lukeskywalker wrote:TerribleTwo,

I just checked your war record on KSOD, and now I am a bit confused. Your squad is 80-34-8 overall and 5-4-1 in the last 10. I'm not sure how bad the matchups could be. Your last 10 wars have been 45-45, 45-31, 45-20, 35-39, 43-29, 45-41, 26-45, 45-7, 24-36. Squad ranks were 648, 3006, 1871, 438, Unranked, 1372, 322, 2596, 235, 77. Your variance on the squad ranks is a little more extreme than our squad see's, but I did mention that squads outside of the top 1000 must probably have a smaller pool. I would not be surprised that there may be an occasional clunker, but your record would seem to indicate that the majority of the matchups are within the definition of fair.

Yes, not all our matches are lopsided. That's because I found a time slot that works well for us, both in participation and matching. This particular war was a Friday afternoon, which always draws a crazy match. Perhaps you are correct on the smaller pool available.

What gets me is the instant matching. Literally 1 second. Now I'm not griping too much, as I see some of you wait hours to match.

In history, ...we fought PLC 3 times, Americasur and their alternate squad twice, inglorious rebels, etc. It just seems we match against top 100 squads more often than not.

I do notice if I leave our 1 prestige out, the matches are a bit more even. The stats you mention are us without using prestige and only a small handful of 9s and 10s. Just a bummer that some of my top players can't be included unless we want to fight all max squads.

...we keep trying but some are losing steam.
Leader of theImperialPirates

Shelendil
Admiral

Post#28 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:58 am

20-30 squads signed up for no-op matchmaking on Friday. That means any squad that would normally be matched with the squads in that pool was left looking for a match from whoever else was out there. Likely America Sur was left waiting with widening matchmaking and you were the first that entered the range.
ShadyRebels24
You know you wanna be shady ;)

Boog
Grand Admiral

Post#29 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:49 am

Yeah, I have definitely found out the hard way that you want to avoid Friday nights. You get 15 prestige base/top 100 squads all the time.

Shelendil
Admiral

Post#30 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:54 am

I think he actually matched on Thursday, but all the no-op squads would have been sitting out of matchmaking to go in on Friday, leaving a hole on Thursday.
ShadyRebels24
You know you wanna be shady ;)

Return to “General Discussions”