War!!!

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
Souron
Storm Trooper

War!!!

Post#1 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:56 am

My squad is either always getting matched against really easy and passive squads, or very strict, high ranked squads. Is there any way out of this, were we can get a fun, evenly ranked squad to verse? :?: :?: :?:
The dark side is good for you.

Join donate-and-win.

Schruaf
Major General

Re: War!!!

Post#2 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:15 pm

Sadly you can't.
The matchmaking system just sucks.

Midge
Grand Admiral

Post#3 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:41 am

Well yes ... get better or get worse.
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed

lukeskywalker
Major General

Post#4 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:55 am

I honestly don't think the matchmaking algorithm is as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. The problem is more likely tied to the player pool and faction imbalance. There are other factors like how long would you wait for a fair matchup. You also need to define fair. Our squad frequently beats squads that have higher HQ level's than ours. HQ or even base scores will not properly factor in so many other skills required to win wars. What would you recommend as the basis for matchups? That might be a more useful exercise and conversation to have. It's then that you start to realize the issue devs need to consider.

Sports is a perfect example. There are daily examples of blow out wins, but you still need to play the game. In some cases there's a clear advantage one team has. In other cases the matchup is fair, but one team just had a bad day, and the score is not reflective of the actual strengths of both squads. If you only scheduled based on fair within a very tight tolerance level, you might have a schedule where the same four teams face each other all the time. Where's the fun in that?

I get the frustration, but I think discussions need to start with facts (e.g. actual squad names, war records, base scores, etc.) and suggestions (so pros and cons can be weighed out). If not, maybe start a venting only thread, where people just vent and are not expecting an actual discussion. When I see a post like this, I am not sure what the poster is expecting from the other discussion board members.

Here's our war scores last 10 wars: 27-39 , 45-23, 45-41, 41-27, 45-15, 45-45, 45-39, 45-24, 45-9, 43-45. Only two of those wars were not competitive in the first 12 hours. I would say that only 3 of 10 of those wars were not fair on paper. The first and last score (two losses) were against that same 14 Prestige base squad. In one matchup we had an advantage, but it was not huge, but might be considered unfair by some. A fair matchup 70% of the time is quite good I think. Yesterday's loss was against the squad with 14 Prestige players and a level 8. We had 6 Prestige, 1 level 10, 6 level 9's and 2 level 8's. It was a fun war. We were ahead in the first third of the war, behind by one about two thirds through the war, and was only mathematically out in the last hour. The last time we lost to them 43-45 and that went down to the final minutes.

When we launch a war, we want to get a matchup within 1-6 hours and that is what we get. Other players want different parameters. That's a tough thing to program for.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

Midge
Grand Admiral

Post#5 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:04 pm

Boooooo Luke.

Don't you know ... if you lose ... it is unfair ... if you win ... it is too easy. Unless you tie, then it got it wrong!
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed

lukeskywalker
Major General

Post#6 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:12 pm

Lol!
lukeskywalker
Leader

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 20+ members, and we war at least once a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

ForceMel
Major General

Post#7 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:05 pm

Midge wrote:Boooooo Luke.

Don't you know ... if you lose ... it is unfair ... if you win ... it is too easy. Unless you tie, then it got it wrong!

LMAO. I always look forward to your posts.
Leader of perennially top 15 squad IIReBeLsII and number 12 player of the now defunct Windows servers. Current leader of Rebelsyiir.

ObiTwo
Major General

Post#8 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:01 pm

Souron wrote:My squad is either always getting matched against really easy and passive squads, or very strict, high ranked squads. Is there any way out of this, were we can get a fun, evenly ranked squad to verse? :?: :?: :?:

Are you part of the LINE community? There are some line groups that organise numbers of imp and reb squads to kick off all at the same time to significantly increase odds of matching similarly sized and skilled squads.
http://www.YouTube.com/ObiTwo (tips, strategies and layouts for rebels)

geoman48
Major General

Post#9 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:38 am

Squad wars IMHO are the only thing keeping this game afloat. They have squad rankings on the edit page, why not use that for matchmaking? Then the #1 squad should never get matched up with the #1000 squad UNLESS #2-#999 are not in a squad war, which is highly unlikely.

Squad ranked #2345? Then your opponent should be ranked as close to #2346 and up or #2344 and down regardless of faction if the "either faction" indicator is selected when starting wars. Probably too simplistic because its based on medal count I know but still my $0.02

lukeskywalker
Major General

Post#10 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:19 pm

geoman48,

Your method might have merit. I think the current matchups are usually in line with the squad rankings, but we have come across squads with 7-10 Prestige bases, who were ranked in the 2000-3000 range and the differences showed up in the final score. Medals do approximate active vs inactive squads, even factoring in medal dumping. Here's our last 10 wars, with scores and squad ranks as of today. The ranks may have been different at the time of war, but close enough for this exercise. The results do seem to coincide with the squad rank theory.

Score Squad Ranks
27-39 ……………. 405-149
45-23 ……………. 405-2599
45-41 ……………. 405-388
41-27 ……………. 405-443
45-15 ……………. 405-3471
45-45 ……………. 405-124
45-39 ……………. 405-529
45-24 ……………. 405-547
45-9 ……………. 405-3498
43-45 ……………. 405-149

We are currently in a war with a squad ranked 673, that has 7 Prestige, 4 lvl 9's, 3 lvl 8's and a level 6. Our squad has only 3 Prestige, 5 lvl 9's, 2 lvl 8's, 3 lvl 7's, a level 5 and a level 3. We are letting our lower level players handle the mid-week wars. We are up 45-4 about 8 hours into the war. They could come back with so many low level bases to feast on, and Tako in play. Tako is too op. Our level 8's and 9's took out 3 of the Prestige bases.
lukeskywalker
Leader

Return to “General Discussions”