Why are they pissed at Amazon?

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
Spirit
Major General

Re: Why are they pissed at Amazon?

Post#21 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:02 pm

JackYOgurl wrote:So basically I won't be able to play on my Fire Tablet anymore?... I'll have to play on my slow phone?..

It is looking that way JackYOgurl unless someone can find a workaround.

For info for those downloading the Google version (which does not work)_ you can find the same version of .apk file on another appstore called uptodown. It doesnt run either but lets us experiment without the bother of getting Google Play etc.
After getting various responses now from Disney helpdesk, they say that the Amazon version is no longer supported and may not work after 7th Jan. That suggests there is not a technical issue with Amazon hardware. But still not got the reason why Android version wont run on Amazon tablets.
An Amazon player, squeezing every last minute from the game..

Player name Dog. Biting rebs across the galaxy.

Member of Thedarkknight501 a level 50 Imp squad Join us

luke50

Post#22 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:00 pm

Is anyone playing on a Samsung - Galaxy Tab E Lite 7 inch 8GB tablet? I'm helping my brother find options, in case we can't find a solution to the Amazon Kindle phase out. Looking for the most reasonably priced option, since this tablet will have a single purpose and that's to play SWC. His content is all on Amazon, and while IOS has apps to bridge the content, it's not as convenient and/or does not provide the same experience. Google Play option was a fail so far.

LS

JackYOgurl
Squadron Leader

Post#23 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:57 am

:( I'm going to have to use my tiny slow android phone now to play....dammit...

Spirit
Major General

Post#24 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:34 pm

With my limited knowledge, I have been unable to find a solution yet to continue using an Amazon fire. What I do know is:
-The version of SWC on Amazon devices and Amazon app store is a different version from Google/android and Apple versions.
- From 7th Jan Amazon version will no longer be supported. It is possible that we can still play until it fails?
- Google play store can be set up on Amazon device but Google does not recognise the Amazon version as an app.
- The standard version can be loaded via Google play and other means but does not run beyond initial splash screen on Amazon fires.

For myself, I will continue to explore ways to run the Google/ standard android version on my Amazon devices only so will exit the game if I fail. :o
Last edited by Spirit on Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

luke50

Post#25 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:29 pm

I think the Google Play version appears to be the best option as of now. As you said, it gets to the splash page and then freezes and the screen goes dark. I suspect it's related to the APK files, and might require a reinstall of some or all of the APK files. May try it this weekend, so my brother can keep playing. I play off an iPhone, so I'm safe for now, but losing 4 or more good players from our squad will be a hit, and we will also miss those players. Really good people, and nice banter. The Samsung Galaxy tab E Lite 7 seems to be the other option. Reasonably price, which is important if the only use is going to be for swc. The problem is the game did not play with an Amazon 7 inch Fire and does with the 8 inch and larger tablets. That might be a resolution or other formatting issue that may rear it's head on the Galaxy 7 tab.

With all of the other content on Amazon, I suspect most people will not migrate over to a new Eco system just for one game.

LS

ChiptheFish
Major General

Post#26 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:40 pm

luke50 wrote:Is anyone playing on a Samsung - Galaxy Tab E Lite 7 inch 8GB tablet? I'm helping my brother find options, in case we can't find a solution to the Amazon Kindle phase out. Looking for the most reasonably priced option, since this tablet will have a single purpose and that's to play SWC. His content is all on Amazon, and while IOS has apps to bridge the content, it's not as convenient and/or does not provide the same experience. Google Play option was a fail so far.

LS

I would NOT buy the Tab E Lite. It barely meets minimum requirements and graphics would be slow; but maybe Fire tablets are already super slow.

Regarding Amazon content, almost all Amazon apps can be installed from within the standard Google Play store or by installing the Amazon App Store on any Android device and installing them from there. The incompatibility of content is a one way street. Amazon apps and content can go to any other Android device, but Google Play cannot go on an Fire tablet.
Last edited by ChiptheFish on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chip the Fish, Rebel: HQ Prestige, Medals: 28K, Battle Rank: 14(Android)
FriskyEwoks: Level 50 Squad - Join us!

ChiptheFish
Major General

Post#27 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:46 pm

luke50 wrote:I think the Google Play version appears to be the best option as of now. As you said, it gets to the splash page and then freezes and the screen goes dark. I suspect it's related to the APK files, and might require a reinstall of some or all of the APK files. May try it this weekend, so my brother can keep playing. I play off an iPhone, so I'm safe for now, but losing 4 or more good players from our squad will be a hit, and we will also miss those players. Really good people, and nice banter. The Samsung Galaxy tab E Lite 7 seems to be the other option. Reasonably price, which is important if the only use is going to be for swc. The problem is the game did not play with an Amazon 7 inch Fire and does with the 8 inch and larger tablets. That might be a resolution or other formatting issue that may rear it's head on the Galaxy 7 tab.

With all of the other content on Amazon, I suspect most people will not migrate over to a new Eco system just for one game.

LS

I would not buy a device just for this game, especially considering it's current trajectory. For other platforms, if Windows Facebook Gameroom is an option, gameplay on Windows PCs pretty good; used laptops and PC's can come at a rather low price. Android apps also run on many Chromebooks and as mentioned above, upgrading to a better Android tablet while keeping your Amazon content is technically possible if there's any advantage to updating your overall tablet experience. For a budget Android tablet, I'd keep an eye on the Samsung Tab A series or used Asus tablets.

Hope it works out for you!
Chip the Fish, Rebel: HQ Prestige, Medals: 28K, Battle Rank: 14(Android)
FriskyEwoks: Level 50 Squad - Join us!

XitLiteNtrNite
Commodore

Post#28 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:47 pm

I wouldn't buy a device for any game. But a ChromeBook touchscreen is a fantastic experience for mobile games. I have a ChromeBook with a 12.5" screen and it is vastly superior to my iPad for games, including SWC.
In game name: Paper Tiger, officer in Hostile.Warfare
Line ID: paper-tiger
Discord: #6882

Spirit
Major General

Post#29 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:06 am

For info, the Amazon Fire is not technically inferior to other tablets on the market and can run Google play services with no problem. The tablets are cheap because Amazon sell them at cost price as a draw for Amazon sales.
Note also that if anyone is contemplating buying a tablet to move from Amazon, there are dozens of unbranded tablets for sale (ebay etc), from £30 upwards. They are technically up to spec and many have 10inch screens.
You dont need to install the 4 apk files to get the android version on your Amazon ( even though not yet able to run). Go to uptodown website for the 1 apk file needed for swc. The 4 files are for Google Play services, not swc.
I moved all my Google and ios files, music etc to Amazon and will stay with Amazon.
There are many Amazon only players in this game. It will be interesting to see the impact on player numbers.

luke50

Post#30 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:04 pm

Spirit,

I agree that the Amazon tablet is not inferior to the other tablets. Very similar experience for the average user. And yes, Amazon uses the razor blade philosophy. Sell the razor at an affordable price and make all the money on the razor blades. They get you on the content and also their web sales. It's a very convenient eco-system. I was assuming that we would need to reload 1 to 4 of the apk files. Will try that. Clash of Clans worked using Google Play, once the apk files were loaded, so swc should too. Unless they are preventing it for some reason. This is a license/fee/pay portal issue in my mind.

I agree that buying another tablet for one game/app would run the risk that this game closes down in a year, given the current trajectory. With the Amazon Fire, my brother is able to have the 10 inch tablet for movies, books, etc. and have the 2nd 8 inch game only tablet for a second swc base at the bargain price of $69.95 when it was on sale. Hard to beat that. Having to buy another two tablets just may not be practical. He's two key players wrapped in one for our squad, since he know's how to take down 10's in wars with his level 8 base and also helps handle outposts. His Prestige base routinely generates 9 uplinks for the squad. He loves the game as much as I do. Having said that, I am coming to terms with his having to bail on the game.

LS

Return to “General Discussions”