War Matchmaking..Is This For Real?

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
luke50

Re: War Matchmaking..Is This For Real?

Post#61 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:58 pm

As a rebel squad leader, I have had a tough time matching up when I have too many bases split between Prestige and Level 10's mixed in with level 4 and 5 players. Our war lineups have usually been along these lines:

HIGH LEVEL WAR
Prestige 6
Level 10 2
Level 9 4
Level 8 2
Level 7 1

TRAINING WAR
Level 10 1
Level 9 2
Level 8 2
Level 7 4
Level 6 2
Level 5 2
Level 4 2

Our high level war includes 2 level 8 and a level 7 player, who are better than a few of our level 9 and 10 players. They can take any outpost including level 10. They can also 100% bases 2 HQ levels higher than they are. Legit bases and not baby bases. Not fully upgraded, but close. That's assuming either Takodana or Tatooine are in play. The Training wars fall on the shoulders of the good level 6-8 players, with the level 10 as the anchor. The level 9 players are almost in a clean up role.

We do tend to get matchups quicker with either mix. Too many prestige bases mixed in with level 4-6 usually takes hours and the matchups are usually all over the place.

LS

juarez

Post#62 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:17 pm

seriously not worth having wars until this is fixed

luke50

Post#63 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:08 pm

It is probably a bigger issue for Imperials. For rebels, getting matchups are not that big an issue. Winning just shy of 70% of them, so we will continue to war. The crates need to be beefed up though. The best frags have been Kessen, 225's and A-Wings. The rest have been bleh.

LS

luke50

Post#64 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:29 pm

Just to be clear. The matchups are easier for rebels because of the faction imbalance and not because of any other factors. Finding matchups for Imperial squads will continue to be a problem as long as the 3-2 or 2-1 faction imbalance continues.

LS

Toydarian
Commodore

Post#65 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:15 pm

luke50 wrote:For rebels, getting matchups are not that big an issue.

LS

Really? Last post from me on this thread. My bunch were matched up against FranceLegion in our current war. 45:0 to those imps. In 55 minutes into the war. Guess my squad is just useless. Twas not like this prior to the Prestige update. 12 P bases this time, 3 lvl 9s. Equally, I suspect FranceLegion did not get a huge amount of satisfaction out of the win, (unless they like crushing beetles) but, my lot are just in “wtf is the point of wars” mode. This was a “decimation derby” by any standard.
So, anybody who says this is just a “cry baby post, so get better” I say it is not. It is the reality now. We move on; I try to heal wounds; I try to stop folks throwing in the towel; and so on. Bottom line, matchmaking is seriously.....well, you know the word. Over and out on this topic.
Leader of Derwiderst4nd (Rebel, Squad Level 50)
Podracer repairs by appointment only

luke50

Post#66 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:55 pm

Toy,

Unfortunately you ran into a squad ranked #71 and they are 167-13-14. Solid squad. Not every squad is like that. We are launching at 2am to 6am EST (US) every Tuesday and Friday and we let it run. Normally takes 3-5 hours and it syncs up in a sweet spot for our squad. We normally have 6-8 players on at the start, and another 3-4 come on board by the 3rd or 4 hour of the war. The stragglers take back outposts mid war to the end. We are currently in a war with Russia1. We have the lead right now 45-35 half way into the war. I usually do not like mixing 5 Prestige bases with the low level bases, but we lucked out in this one. Our level 7 & 8's are outpost hounds and do a great job at the start of almost every war. They hold the fort while the others jump in to take bases.

Level Us Them
Prestige 5 1
10 0 4
9 5 7
8 2 1
7 1 2
6 0 0
5 1 0
4 1 0

We are 15-4-1 in our last 20, and 104-48-13 overall. We ran into a rebuild last December/January which was a rough spot for us. We will probably be going through another shortly, if we lose the 5 Amazon Fire players that we have. 2 of them are ringer level 8's and a prestige. Ouch.

Having said all of that, I don't disagree that the war matchmaking could be better. It's at the mercy of the players though, since you can't match someone up with a perfect match if not everyone is putting their name in the hat. The population imbalance and participation levels are a problem.

LS

luke50

Post#67 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:34 pm

We leave the matchmaking open to rebel squads, but this latest matchup rebel vs. rebel, is the first in a long time. My assumption is that it comes into play only after the matchmaking process has gone on for at least a couple of hours. Our last instant matchup, within seconds of when we submitted it, was with RusBears and as expected ended in a 45-45 tie. I actually like having more lower level players in the mix. High level players with op outposts too often result in 45-45 ties.

RusBears had 12 Prestige bases, a level 10, and two 9's.

LS

TNT
Major General

Post#68 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:54 am

luke50 wrote:We leave the matchmaking open to rebel squads, but this latest matchup rebel vs. rebel, is the first in a long time. My assumption is that it comes into play only after the matchmaking process has gone on for at least a couple of hours. Our last instant matchup, within seconds of when we submitted it, was with RusBears and as expected ended in a 45-45 tie. I actually like having more lower level players in the mix. High level players with op outposts too often result in 45-45 ties.

RusBears had 12 Prestige bases, a level 10, and two 9's.

LS

Our last two wars have been Rebel vs Rebel as well. It's a bit weird. Makes for a nice change of pace at least.
Join the OuterRimRioters.
Drama free, laid back, regular wars and multiple time zones coverage.
No Line or Discord required. (though the latter is available if you want to)

Also available in a trial version.

Sloppydonkey
Storm Trooper

Post#69 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:04 pm

What BS my squad..... how is this fair - this is going to ruin the fun here goes to hopping they don't show up
2 x6s
1 x 7
6 x 8s
2 x 9s
3 x 10s
1 x Pres

VS

2 x5s
3 x9s
5 x 10s
7 x Pres

luke50

Post#70 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:46 pm

Sloppy,

I think you may be expecting too much in terms of what's fair. Prestige and level 10's are the same level in wars as long as Takodana and Tatooine are in play, which is most of the time. Level 9's can 100% (3 star) level 10's and Prestige, again as long as Takodana and Tatooine are in play. Having Yavin helps. Level 8's can take down level 9's and 10's, again with those key outposts. The outposts are worth almost a 2 level jump. Not quite, but close.

We still win 60% to 70% of the matchups you described. It's more about having 2-3 players sync up and everyone needs to know how to take down outposts. A level 6-7 can take down leve 8-9 outposts once they understand the weaknesses of those outposts. E.g. Jets kill Takodana. That's not a big secret. Almost all mortars. We have a few players who are purposely staying at level 8 because they get the best of both worlds. 3 star every opponent in H2H and take down level 9's and 10's in wars or control outposts. We just tied a squad with 12 Prestige bases, and we had 5 Prestige, 2 level 10's, 4 9's, 3 8's, and a 7.

The outposts are the great equalizer. Nothing beats a squad that has players on 24-7, using alerts. Someone takes and outpost, we take it back in a few minutes. They get frustrated, attack without the outposts, get 0-2 star attacks and we win the war of attrition. Communication is key too. One player says I got Tako or Tat and the other 2 or 3 that are on say ready. They attack as soon as Tako or Tatooine are in our hands.

LS

EDIT:

Sloppy,

Out of curiosty, rebel or empire squad?

LS

Sorry, one more thing. I do not tend to look at HQ levels, since that is very deceptive. I look up the squads on KSOD and look at their war record and base scores. That will tell you more than HQ levels will.

LS
Last edited by DeathStriker on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Combined Back-to-Back Posts - Added "Edit"

Return to “General Discussions”