War Matchmaking..Is This For Real?

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
luke50

Re: War Matchmaking..Is This For Real?

Post#41 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:04 pm

Sorry, but I forgot something important. The matchmaking appears to primarily focus on the players selected for wars. We run a midweek war for our newbies. In those wars, we include 2-3 sandbaggers, to keep it competitive. We also exclude all of our level 10 and prestige players. Just level 3-9. That seems to help a lot. We have won all but one of those wars. The pace seems to be slower, and we can walk our newbies through attacks. E.g. they let us know who they are attacking and we tell them how to beat that base, given the types of units they have available to them.

LS

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#42 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:28 am

Start and restart matchmaking doesn't work in my Imperial Squad. It took more than 10h to get a match in our last war, and about 20 h to get a match in our last wars. Cancel and start only makes things annoying and time wasting. At the end, we were matched with Squads running Level 8, 9 and 10 mini bases -- and they gang bang my low levels in just an hour.

If I put my HQ Prestige in matchamking, i call Squads running multiple Prestige, and they will gang bang my newbies, most from 4 to 6. If I let my Prestige out, I call Squads of high minis and they will gang bang my newbies as they do in our last 3 wars.

To have a chance, a squad needs to have at least 5 Prestige/10s, and players at HQ 5-6 to fight for OPs. Yes, using Armory units a Level 7-8 can capture a level 9-10 OP with the extra help of Level 10 units in SC. It's just about coordination and communication as Midge said, but matchmaking sucks most of the time.
A Windows survivor now training players and helping squads through the Galaxy!

Imperial HQ Prestige / HQ 6 in "BombSquad18" (Level 50 squad)
Rebel HQ Prestige / HQ 8 / HQ 6 in "Ewok_revenge" (Level 50 squad)

DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Post#43 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:30 am

There are mismatches “on paper” that can be overcome with skills and coordination, and you also need certain outposts to be in play (Tako or Tat). Note: it helps to at least get to L8 as you unlock jumps which can then be used with Tako to be able to take on higher level bases.

There are real mismatches that can’t be overcome.

I was on both sides of a real mismatches. It can be demoralizing to be on the wrong end. Of course it sucks, and it’s not always as easy to say sucks it up and move on.

Squad war match making (and even PVP match making) is a problem, but I do agree with Midge on this point (only) that the root cause is not algorithm, but lack of participation by players, or lack of warring squads to properly match at every single level, at any time.

Toydarian
Commodore

Post#44 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:47 pm

luke50 wrote:Sorry, but I forgot something important. The matchmaking appears to primarily focus on the players selected for wars. We run a midweek war for our newbies. In those wars, we include 2-3 sandbaggers, to keep it competitive. We also exclude all of our level 10 and prestige players. Just level 3-9. That seems to help a lot. We have won all but one of those wars. The pace seems to be slower, and we can walk our newbies through attacks. E.g. they let us know who they are attacking and we tell them how to beat that base, given the types of units they have available to them.

LS

Thanks LS, that is good advice. My lot going in that very direction. Keep the 10s and Ps out if you want a reasonable match. I just want to give my up and comers a decent taste for wars, nothing more. To hopefully keep them in the game, and not throw their towel in, cos they see it as being just too hard.
Leader of Derwiderst4nd (Rebel, Squad Level 50)
Podracer repairs by appointment only

Toydarian
Commodore

Post#45 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:13 pm

DarkRebel wrote:
Squad war match making (and even PVP match making) is a problem, but I do agree with Midge on this point (only) that the root cause is not algorithm, but lack of participation by players, or lack of warring squads to properly match at every single level, at any time.

Dark, completely agree with all you said. The reality of course is, given human nature, that when war squad members see a match that looks impossible, they will keep, mostly, their treasure, and stay out. That is my experience anyway. I align with Midge, in the sense that, we should try, and learn.......but it is real tough shit to get a lvl 5 guy to take on a 10 and get something. I got some heroic guys in my bunch, who try it, so I am optimistic.....onwards.....

ChiptheFish
Major General

Post#46 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:34 am

Toydarian wrote:
DarkRebel wrote:

Dark, completely agree with all you said. The reality of course is, given human nature, that when war squad members see a match that looks impossible, they will keep, mostly, their treasure, and stay out. That is my experience anyway. I align with Midge, in the sense that, we should try, and learn.......but it is real tough shit to get a lvl 5 guy to take on a 10 and get something. I got some heroic guys in my bunch, who try it, so I am optimistic.....onwards.....

The reality of the matter is that not everyone wants to organize to the degree necessary to be a tight squad. For causal players who don't want to set alarms and block out an hour of the day (or middle of the night) wars have become a non-option. (not to mention work or family responsibilities that take priority). Our squad is about to extend our losing streak after our mixed base team (with some at L5 and 6) is matched with 15xL11/P bases.... highly discouraging.
Chip the Fish, Rebel: HQ Prestige, Medals: 28K, Battle Rank: 14(Android)
FriskyEwoks: Level 50 Squad - Join us!

DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Post#47 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:10 am

ChiptheFish wrote:
Toydarian wrote:
DarkRebel wrote:

The reality of the matter is that not everyone wants to organize to the degree necessary to be a tight squad. For causal players who don't want to set alarms and block out an hour of the day (or middle of the night) wars have become a non-option. (not to mention work or family responsibilities that take priority). Our squad is about to extend our losing streak after our mixed base team (with some at L5 and 6) is matched with 15xL11/P bases.... highly discouraging.

You just need strong leadership in the squad.
War is 24 hour, so no you don't have to wake up in the middle of the night to play. You don't all have to be on at start time.
It's not about who is first to get to 45.
An organized squad can pick 2-3 or even 4 time slots during the 24 hour window when players can get on at the same time to coordinate blitz.
You need 6-8 competent players to be competitive. The remaining players can be supporting cast.
It's true that it's only a game, but it's a war game and in any war, coordination is critical to achieve success. This is the aspect I like about playing with OUTPOSTS, that it fosters teamwork and not individual performances.
Most of us have daily jobs, and everyone has real life matters that are more important than the game. You don't have to war every 2 days. We (in AncientWarriors) war once a week and we do enjoy our time trashing the opponent bases and stopping winning streaks. (btw, KSOD ranking is way out of whack if you don't war often, we always have a good laugh at the KSOD ranking and its prediction system. In our current war, we are ranked #3000 (because we war weekly) and our opponent is ranked #85. Guess which squad is having its butt kicked, LOL. )
We are a casual squad but it doesn't stop us being a good warring squad.

Toydarian
Commodore

Post#48 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:19 am

ChiptheFish wrote:The reality of the matter is that not everyone wants to organize to the degree necessary to be a tight squad. For causal players who don't want to set alarms and block out an hour of the day (or middle of the night) wars have become a non-option. (not to mention work or family responsibilities that take priority). Our squad is about to extend our losing streak after our mixed base team (with some at L5 and 6) is matched with 15xL11/P bases.... highly discouraging.

DarkRebel wrote:You just need strong leadership in the squad.
War is 24 hour, so no you don't have to wake up in the middle of the night to play. You don't all have to be on at start time.
We are a casual squad but it doesn't stop us being a good warring squad.

Gentlemen, a fascinating discussion, thank you, which highlights the spectrum of styles squads adopt for warring. In my view, and experience, there is never going to be a "right" style, since it is about individual squads ...at least those in the non-elite body of the kirk.... working out what suits them best, taking account of the vagaries of time zones, squad member skills, war appetite, and so on. My bunch I guess you could say are "loose/tight", in the sense we prefer the former, but can do the latter when needs must.....which resonates with your good point Dark:

"This is the aspect I like about playing with OUTPOSTS, that it fosters teamwork and not individual performances."

+100% on that one.

I guess where I have got to, reflecting Chip's "highly discouraging" match, similar to my original post, is that, whatever matchmaking process is used, and imperfect as any will always be, it should not, ideally, inhibit or frustrate the many different styles of warring that are the rich essence of the diversity throughout the SWC squad community. I don't believe that is an unreasonable ask.

POSTSCRIPT:
For your amusement: Recent war. Tak in play. Te-ed up a tight co-ordinated counter attack to recapture Tak. Four senior squad mates good to go. Outpost king - on point for Tak, 1 hour for his troops to cook. Thumbs twiddle....1 hour passes.....thumbs twiddle....2 hours pass....shit! we need a plan B! (which we did, then won).

Quote of all time from OP king.."My bad, fell asleep...."!

The best laid plans of mice and rebels.....
Last edited by Toydarian on Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeathStriker

Post#49 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:33 am

Toydarian wrote:POSTSCRIPT:
For your amusement: Recent war. Tak in play. Te-ed up a tight co-ordinated counter attack to recapture Tak. Four senior squad mates good to go. Outpost king - on point for Tak, 1 hour for his troops to cook. Thumbs twiddle....1 hour passes.....thumbs twiddle....2 hours pass....shit! we need a plan B! (which we did, then won).

Quote of all time from OP king.."My bad, feel asleep...."!

The best laid plans of mice and rebels.....

Toydarian - This part of your longer post made my day... LOL :lol:

Thanks for sharing ;)

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

Toydarian
Commodore

Post#50 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:59 pm

DeathStriker wrote:Toydarian - This part of your longer post made my day... LOL :lol:

Thanks for sharing ;)

Anytime. Glad it brought a wee smile DS......

Return to “General Discussions”