Snipers ... not a balance discussion!!!!

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
luke50

Snipers ... not a balance discussion!!!!

Post#1 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:58 pm

I think the sniper multipliers for both factions should be changed. I get the multiplier against infantry. However, the logic escapes me for the effectiveness against say tanks. It would make more sense to force a choice, e.g. Vanguards to defense against vehicles and snipers to counter infantry. Any time you need to make trade-offs, that adds strategy. That would make more sense to me.

I'm new to the discussion board, so apologies in advance if this topic has been brought up before!

LS

TNT
Major General

Re: Snipers ... not a balance discussion!!!!

Post#2 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:12 am

Well the logic is based on the old logic (which still hold true for pre armory levels) which is that the Empire uses primarily mechs and the rebels use primarily infantry.

I honestly don't mind the difference in multiplier much as it makes sense from the old point of view, but what's interesting is that the Rebel Sharpshooter uses the same AI as the Imperial Sniper.
So despite having a heavy multiplier against vehicles they will ignore vehicles until all infantry and Deka/Deko are dead first. So their AI and their stats don't match up.

This quirk is also why the rebels received the Vanguard instead of the Sharpshooter. I think it's something the Devs may not remember.

I'm personally not sure which fix I prefer.
- Fix them to prioritize vehicles, but this would leave the rebels with only bikes/togs as anti infantry units.
- Fix their damage versus infantry to match up with their AI and use the vanguards (an event unit) as anti vehicle units.
Thing is, I think that in order to be effective against vehicles the vanguards need another bump in their attack stats. Their rate of fire needs to increase a little. They're not unusable, but they're not good either.

It's pretty silly when you think about it that the sharpshooters are going after the infantry with their anti tank shells.
Join the OuterRimRioters. Drama free, laid back, regular wars and multiple time zones coverage.
Seriously, what more can you ask for in a shitty f2p mobile game?

ChiptheFish
Major General

Post#3 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:14 pm

Don't feed the trolls...
Chip the Fish, Rebel: HQ Prestige, Medals: 26K, Battle Rank: 13 (Android)
ObiTwo: Officer in this Level 43 Squad - Join us!
Casual but active L4-11 player's welcome. 2-3 wars a week. Any time-zone. English only

Luke50

Post#4 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:23 pm

I think we are looking at it from two different perspectives. I was looking at real life tradeoffs being incorporated into game play. Sniper would have very little chance piercing armor of tanks.
Sniper target troops. Rocket launchers and other armor piercing weapons attack tanks. Incorporate that into game play would force players to choose between options. As it stands, snipers stop everything. At least on defense.

TNT
Major General

Post#5 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:35 am

Good point, I hadn't considered that point of view yet. I'm so used to snipers being the go to unit for killing other units mech or otherwise that I didn't consider specializing them and using two separate units for killing different classes.
Technically the rebels have that in the Skiff and the Sniper.
But specializing the Vanguard/Shock trooper and the Sniper/Sharpshooter would be interesting as well.
Join the OuterRimRioters. Drama free, laid back, regular wars and multiple time zones coverage.
Seriously, what more can you ask for in a shitty f2p mobile game?

Midge
Grand Admiral

Post#6 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:35 am

This is actually a good post here.

The fact that snipers have such a big multiplier against vehicles and infantry is ridiculous. The vans get the multiplier against vehicles, but snipers get both, they just "prefer" and will chase down any infantry before targeting vehicles.

Just one more goofy ass thing by the developers that will likely never be addressed.

Just get how those lasers are blowing my mech all to shit the same way they do an Ewok.
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed

DarkRebel
Admiral

Post#7 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:10 am

Midge wrote:This is actually a good post here.

The fact that snipers have such a big multiplier against vehicles and infantry is ridiculous. The vans get the multiplier against vehicles, but snipers get both, they just "prefer" and will chase down any infantry before targeting vehicles.

Just one more goofy ass thing by the developers that will likely never be addressed.

Just get how those lasers are blowing my mech all to shit the same way they do an Ewok.

Well, maybe the snipers were not really targetting at your vehicle shield, but at the drivers ? That would be how it might work in real life.

Anyway, applying real life logic into game unit is a really bad idea to begin with, IMHO :lol:

erfs
Commodore

Post#8 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:00 am

DarkRebel wrote:
Midge wrote:This is actually a good post here.

Well, maybe the snipers were not really targetting at your vehicle shield, but at the drivers ? That would be how it might work in real life.

Anyway, applying real life logic into game unit is a really bad idea to begin with, IMHO :lol:

That's what they did in the movie "Battleship" - a sniper took out the enemy ships's cockpit window / pilot, thus killing the vehicle :P

Midge
Grand Admiral

Post#9 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:24 am

Yeah, they make bulletproof glass also.

I imagine that heavy mech would have their people pretty well secured?

But meh ... the point is more to the fact that it is silly the troop has massive modifiers on so many things. Takes alot of "strategy" out.
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed

AdmiralNick
Squadron Leader

Post#10 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:07 pm

Yup I been noticed that is imp need a better anti vehicul unit Mac to slow and big
Officer in Duza Legends
Level 10
Empire

Return to “General Discussions”