Cost to complete units has skyrocketed

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
DarkRebel
Admiral
Posts: 934

Re: Cost to complete units has skyrocketed

Post#31 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:27 am

Midge wrote:
DarkRebel wrote:The game should have an option to downgrade units and buildings.

I am thankful for the information in the forum, so I can prevent myself from being stuck, not able to use saved crystals to get quick load in war attacks.

Dev should reduce the crystal cost to a reasonable level. If it's too expensive, they'd lose the revenue from the mass.

War is when I use crystals to finish load early to get attacks in after we capture the outposts. Now, if the cost is too high, I will not use crystals, period, and the game won't get any money from me.


They don't care if they get money from you. They only need ONE person to crystal to pay for 8 who have decided they won't. That is what they are trying to figure out.

That's just speculation on your part Midge.
I think they want to get money from BOTH the whales and the group of players (like me) who is willing to pay a small amount of money each month ($5-20/month).


User avatar
mkenobi
Admiral
Posts: 992

Re: Cost to complete units has skyrocketed

Post#32 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:22 pm

If there was a way of fixing regrets (undo somehting you built in your base -- of course at crystals costs), some wallet warriors that spent crystals to upgrade all barracks and factories to Prestige before seeing the Prestige units costs, now they would be undoing what they did.

I think the Mouse gets happy with every crystal used in this game, they can be from players buying crystals or saved from the trash or from crate rewards, from apologizes for Devs fails or from ex-Windows players.

Disney wants you playing their game as long as you can, and keep showing interest in their products -- instead of using your free time to play someone else's game. But if you spend some money in crystals and SW products while playing, much better to Disney.

The costs to maintain SWC mean nothing for a company like Disney -- so I really do not understand the Mouse greed for crystals... But no matter the costs in crystals, there will always be people interested in buying a ton of crystals to level up a base from night to day because they can and they do not care.
A Windows survivor now training players and helping squads through the Galaxy!

Imperial HQ Prestige in "BombSquad18" (Level 49 squad)
Rebel HQ Prestige / HQ 8 in "Ewok_revenge" (Level 50 squad)


User avatar
Midge
Grand Admiral
Posts: 1035

Re: Cost to complete units has skyrocketed

Post#33 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:36 pm

DarkRebel wrote:
Midge wrote:
DarkRebel wrote:The game should have an option to downgrade units and buildings.

I am thankful for the information in the forum, so I can prevent myself from being stuck, not able to use saved crystals to get quick load in war attacks.

Dev should reduce the crystal cost to a reasonable level. If it's too expensive, they'd lose the revenue from the mass.

War is when I use crystals to finish load early to get attacks in after we capture the outposts. Now, if the cost is too high, I will not use crystals, period, and the game won't get any money from me.


They don't care if they get money from you. They only need ONE person to crystal to pay for 8 who have decided they won't. That is what they are trying to figure out.

That's just speculation on your part Midge.
I think they want to get money from BOTH the whales and the group of players (like me) who is willing to pay a small amount of money each month ($5-20/month).


Well, obviously they would prefer that. But it is not speculating, it is straight business.

If they charge 10 times as much for prestige units, they can get 1/8th of the people willing to spend and they are in the black. They certainly WANT money for you, and it sounds like they will get it by you leaving on Rax at Level 10.

But, they don't care about you and 7 other people if they get ONE whale because that is worth more.
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed


User avatar
ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral
Posts: 865

Re: Cost to complete units has skyrocketed

Post#34 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:07 pm

People seem to forget that the Devs need to make money from this game we play. They weren't doing it for free, in their weekends. This is their job. It's a job they did for a company - Disney - that has as one of its primary aims, the intention / need to make profit.

They way they make money is mainly from customers buying crystals. I'm sure they also get some money from customers that watch videos too. But that's it.

The paying customers are subsidising the game for all of the non-paying customers. The non-paying customers make the game viable by significantly increasing the number of potential bases for the paying customers to hit. That is the principal economic theory on which all free-to-play PvP games are based. It's a symbiotic relationship and the game needs both types of players to survive.
HQ 10 - Sons of Death

You must do what you think is right, of course.


TNT
Major General
Posts: 441

Re: Cost to complete units has skyrocketed

Post#35 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:33 am

Midge wrote:Easy money? Then how come they can't earn in a year what other Tower Defense games earn in a week?

They are just desperately trying to find a way to keep the game afloat. It is not about "ripping people off" it is about finding the right balance of steady revenue to keep the app viable.

If they think that the very small percentage of wallet warriors willing to pay for prestige units outweighs the large percentage of freeloader crybabies who play a game for three years and whine about $50 over THREE years ... then ... actually ... it is a very smart move.

And Jesus, if you hate the game so much ... seriously ... WTF ... delete it.

They're not making as much money because they have a smaller userbase.
They're not making as much money because they way they implemented their blatant cashgrabs is usually so bad they sabotage their intent.
They're not making as much money because they're not fostering a community (VIP only or otherwise) like so many other mobile games are doing.

I wonder why they have a smaller user base despite having StarWars in the name. I wonder why the number of players has been declining while older games are still going strong and some even growing.
Could it be because of bugs and balance problems (perceived/real)? (Though I don't want to downplay the network effect)
But why aren't they fixing that?

Do you think €5 for 2 x 4-6 frags when you need 750 is a good deal?
And what is your opinion on their special discount deals that occasionally show up on the left hand side. Would you say those are good deals? I'd link you to the last one where everyone had a good laugh at how bad of a deal it was for customers, but I'm sure you remember it.
Do you think the current cost for rushing prestige units is a good deal?

It's not about finding the right balance. You yourself even said it in a later post:
midge wrote:If they charge 10 times as much for prestige units, they can get 1/8th of the people willing to spend and they are in the black. They certainly WANT money for you, and it sounds like they will get it by you leaving on Rax at Level 10.

That's not finding the right balance. That's trying to wring as much money from the whales as possible, screw the free to play or dolphin/sardine customers. They're not important. All those bug fixes everyone wants? Lol, why do that when they can get easy money.
It's about getting all your money. They're a business.


Yes, it's a smart move. That what I said, don't hate the devs. Don't call them greedy, they're getting easy money from the players who, like sheep, are willingly engaging in bad deals. Players who at the same time complain about bugs and wonder why they aren't being fixed.
Tell me, in pure business sense. What is a better investment for them:
1: Spend a few hours fixing a bug
2: Spend half that reskinning a unit and pretending it's the hot new thing players need.

Do you want those bugs fixed? Do you want a better game? Do you want rotatable shields? Stop running after the carrot on a stick and break the cycle and tell others to do the same. It's entirely possible the game will cease to exist if everyone does that, but then it wasn't a viable game to begin with.

As an aside, at present I don't believe they're desperately trying to keep the game afloat, they just sold it. So it's obviously making money. In addition, considering the many other games that Disney shuttered and the fact that SWCommander still exists means that it is generating a sufficient net profit.
Join the OuterRimRioters. Drama free, laid back, regular wars and multiple time zones coverage.
Seriously, what more can you ask for in a shitty f2p mobile game?


User avatar
Midge
Grand Admiral
Posts: 1035

Re: Cost to complete units has skyrocketed

Post#36 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:21 am

It isn't making much money at all. They sold it in a RIGHTS deal as a throw-in. Mostly because they didn't want it anymore.

It probably makes some, but revenue is down 500% from the same time last year.

But anyways ... whatever ... keep bashing on people for paying money and companies for trying to make money.

Nobody argues that the bugs aren't annoying. Just think you coming on here whining about people spending THEIR money on a game with bugs YOU don't like is ridiculous.

There is obviously nowhere this discussion can go where you will make any sense in a response.

So, cheers.
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed


User avatar
ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral
Posts: 865

Re: Cost to complete units has skyrocketed

Post#37 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:26 am

This game has done very well compared to other Star Wars Games that have come and gone while it's been going. Just a few of them include:

Star Wars Rebels

Star Wars Galactic Defence - a tower defence strategy game

Star Wars Force Arena
HQ 10 - Sons of Death

You must do what you think is right, of course.


TNT
Major General
Posts: 441

Re: Cost to complete units has skyrocketed

Post#38 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:27 am

Midge wrote:It isn't making much money at all. They sold it in a RIGHTS deal as a throw-in. Mostly because they didn't want it anymore.

It probably makes some, but revenue is down 500% from the same time last year.

But anyways ... whatever ... keep bashing on people for paying money and companies for trying to make money.

Nobody argues that the bugs aren't annoying. Just think you coming on here whining about people spending THEIR money on a game with bugs YOU don't like is ridiculous.

There is obviously nowhere this discussion can go where you will make any sense in a response.

So, cheers.

I will point out that the only one here who is directly bashing anyone (so far), is you. I ignored it in your previous post, in order to have a normal talk.
But you're not even making sense anymore for the most part and aren't even responding to the points made in a proper post.
You're the one making claims but are failing to back them up and when called out upon them you throw a temper tantrum.
For example, you say that the game isn't trying to rip you off, but when asked to back up that statement when presented with several ingame deals you quickly resort to attacking me.
It's like having a talk with Bolsonaro or Trump.

You may think that ending a discussion with someone by screaming at them and stomping your foot about how wrong they are without any type of argument behind it is a good way to communicate, but I disagree with that. So let me respond to your post anyway:

You do realize you're not making any sense with the first thing you're saying right?
Disney, the mega corporation who has closed multiple game studios (Avalanche, Lucasarts) and games (Tiny Death Star, Disney Infinity, that one marvel game a few months back) because they weren't profitable enough was keeping StarWars Commander around despite not wanting it anymore and not making money from it. Does that sound like it makes sense?
I'm starting to think this game has a lot of people with a lot of disposable income they're willing to throw at the game. Especially considering the amount of gold I'm already seeing every skip.
I'm not privvy to the details of the deal so I can't judge what the terms were. But considering SWCommander is still around, it probably made enough profit to keep around and even sell. Otherwise it would've been easier/cheaper to just close it and license out the Starwars name.

Yes, revenue is down. This is a logical consequence from when I said that the player base is shrinking. It's good to see that we agree here.
Now revenue may be down, but if the net profits (the words I used at the end) are still enough then it'll stick around. Considering what they're investing (just a few programmers) the profit margin is/was probably very healthy on this game.

I'm not one of the guys complaining about bugs, I only complain about the GR. I just kinda laugh at the bugs, because for whatever reason I hardly ever encounter them. I mention them because there are plenty of people who complain about them and I figured you'd relate more to what I was saying by mentioning them. My mistake because instead you think I was complaining about them.

I know my point seems hard to understand.
But it's simple. What I really dislike is hypocrisy and stupidity.
People blame the Devs for greed and for not fixing bugs. Some of those people are paying to get crystals or frags. And then there are people thanking the whales for spending money. Those sub groups of people have no right at all to complain because they're not making it lucrative to fix anything. Like I keep saying, why spend time and resources when there's easy money in making a reskin and selling the frags?

I was recently playing a different game, which had Gacha elements and the same hypocrisy really got on my nerves there. People complaining about bad droprates, but still buying every deal that was thrown their way (often even multiple times). I'm like, what are you doing?! Why should they change anything if you keep giving them money!

I had originally decided I was never going to pay for SWCommander when I couldn't multi select walls and upgrade a section. (something most other strategy games offer) That was such a blatant getting in the way of the player to get them to pay that I decided this game was never going to be worth paying for.
Then after a long time I was really enjoying myself and decided I'd still throw some cash their way (did you know buying via Facebook is cheaper than via Iphone? I researched it to get the best deal, I like good deals), but then the GR debacle happened and I decided that I wouldn't spend until they properly fix that. They haven't yet. Thanks to the loaded dev bases I'm currently enjoying myself again, but as long as the GR/Jet issue isn't fixed I'm not spending.

It's not greed on the end of the devs, it's good business. Offer a bad deal and if they bite, offer a worse deal to see if they bite again. And like you yourself said:
midge wrote:If they charge 10 times as much for prestige units, they can get 1/8th of the people willing to spend and they are in the black. They certainly WANT money for you, and it sounds like they will get it by you leaving on Rax at Level 10.



Really, the only response you can give, but don't want to give is: "Yes, you are right. The game is filled with bad deals and bugs which are there because people are paying for bad deals and bugs. I still like the game though."


Which is fine, I like the game as well. Warts and all, but I have no illusions about why the warts are there and why they'll never be resolved and why they'll no doubt introduce more warts at some point. My only goal is to point out to people (who are somehow missing the obvious) why things are as they are and what they need to do to change things.

We'll see what Zynga brings.

Cheers. :)
Join the OuterRimRioters. Drama free, laid back, regular wars and multiple time zones coverage.
Seriously, what more can you ask for in a shitty f2p mobile game?


Toydarian
Captain
Posts: 92

Re: Cost to complete units has skyrocketed

Post#39 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:04 pm

Richaldo wrote:
hahahaha

This thread has actually brought me more joy from this game than anything in weeks!!!!

Game on!!!!! See you at the bar ... or battlefield... or both...!


Beer, or whatever your tipple is, for you in the former, faceplant for me in the latter methinks! :lol:

Edit:
Shoot! Just realised, I should be chasing spiders again.....Yet, they just make cobwebs.......no?
Leader of Derwiderst4nd (Rebel, Squad Level 49)
Podracer repairs by appointment only


User avatar
ChiptheFish
Major General
Posts: 309

Re: Cost to complete units has skyrocketed

Post#40 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:24 pm

TNT wrote:
Midge wrote:It isn't making much money at all. They sold it in a RIGHTS deal as a throw-in. Mostly because they didn't want it anymore.

It probably makes some, but revenue is down 500% from the same time last year.

But anyways ... whatever ... keep bashing on people for paying money and companies for trying to make money.

Nobody argues that the bugs aren't annoying. Just think you coming on here whining about people spending THEIR money on a game with bugs YOU don't like is ridiculous.

There is obviously nowhere this discussion can go where you will make any sense in a response.

So, cheers.

I will point out that the only one here who is directly bashing anyone (so far), is you. I ignored it in your previous post, in order to have a normal talk.
But you're not even making sense anymore for the most part and aren't even responding to the points made in a proper post.
You're the one making claims but are failing to back them up and when called out upon them you throw a temper tantrum.
For example, you say that the game isn't trying to rip you off, but when asked to back up that statement when presented with several ingame deals you quickly resort to attacking me.
It's like having a talk with Bolsonaro or Trump.

You may think that ending a discussion with someone by screaming at them and stomping your foot about how wrong they are without any type of argument behind it is a good way to communicate, but I disagree with that. So let me respond to your post anyway:

I think everyone here knows Midge is in the running for crankiest forum member... and he'd probably own it too. :lol:
Chip the Fish, Rebel: HQ Prestige, Medals: 26K, Battle Rank: 13 (Android)
ObiTwo: Officer in this Level 43 Squad - Join us!
Casual but active L4-11 player's welcome. 2-3 wars a week. Any time-zone. English only


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kylo and 41 guests