Single type turret farms. Solutions...?

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
Slayme
Commander

Single type turret farms. Solutions...?

Post#1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:46 pm

I don't know about you but I'm getting tired of seeing bases that are defended entirely by one type of turret. Usually it's Sonics or Bursts, especially since the recent changes. This is supposed to be a Real Time Strategy game but there isn't much strategy involved in clustering 20 Sonics or Bursts around the HQ and Squad Centre.

Perhaps the developers should take a cue from that old gem C&C and implement an energy system for bases. Total energy could be based on the HQ level and each turret type would have a different energy requirement as well as a build limit on the number of each turret type.

Thoughts?
Leader of SITH_COMMANDOS squad.
Head of the SITH Ruling Council.

DeathStriker

Re: Single type turret farms. Solutions...?

Post#2 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:55 pm

Slayme wrote:I don't know about you but I'm getting tired of seeing bases that are defended entirely by one type of turret.

Thoughts?

Slayme - While the recent Buff to Burst Turrets has seen a rise in "Burst Turret Farms" the main reason for seeing single type Turret Farms is so that it saves EC Space in the Armory as you don't need to activate Structure Equipment for multiple turret types.

Each "Turret Configuration" has its Pros and Cons and there are ways to defeat most provided of course you can effectively handle the SC Units and Guard Reserve Units.

AS FOR THE Energy System Idea... I am not sure it is applicable for SWC where you have "limited" Build Area unlike some other games which give you "unlimited" space to build your Base.

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

TNT
Major General

Post#3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:19 am

DeathStriker wrote:
Slayme wrote:I don't know about you but I'm getting tired of seeing bases that are defended entirely by one type of turret.

Thoughts?

Slayme - While the recent Buff to Burst Turrets has seen a rise in "Burst Turret Farms" the main reason for seeing single type Turret Farms is so that it saves EC Space in the Armory as you don't need to activate Structure Equipment for multiple turret types.

Each "Turret Configuration" has its Pros and Cons and there are ways to defeat most provided of course you can effectively handle the SC Units and Guard Reserve Units.

AS FOR THE Energy System Idea... I am not sure it is applicable for SWC where you have "limited" Build Area unlike some other games which give you "unlimited" space to build your Base.

You're forgetting the other primary Reason Deathstriker. Jets jets jets jets jets. Jets being the only viable unit means the jet killing turret is automatically the best option in every situation. In addition, the only other usable unit, the TX, also takes super effective damage from the Burst turrets.

The only solution to this problem is to rebalance the armory (and scrap Rodian Sniper GR) to allow other units to be viable again.
Join the OuterRimRioters.
Drama free, laid back, regular wars and multiple time zones coverage.
No Line or Discord required. (though the latter is available if you want to)

Also available in a trial version.

Rebelscummer
Major General

Post#4 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:47 am

I kinda like burst or sonic farms, be smart and use appropriate units and you'll beat them. The most difficult to beat are bases with mixed turrets. I have no problem with single type of turret bases whatsoever.

Fisherman
Captain

Post#5 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:57 am

With the armoury perk it kinda is like an energy limiter for both attacker and defender. Attackers tend to favour one or two units so they are boosted and defenders tend to concentrate on using one or two turret types to best use the limited number of armoury slots so there is space for guard reserve.... While this is great in PvP it has its drawbacks in Squad Wars where the armoury perks don’t work - you can modify your attack load out but are stuck with the selected turret types.
For example you get someone loaded up with bursts to counter jets I get to build hails to outrange them...

DarkRebel
Admiral

Post#6 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:22 am

Having a single turret type to save armory slot IS a strategy by itself, so it is not correct to say using a single turret type is not a strategy,

The main issue, as TNT pointed out, is that with the GR troops on defense, the only one effective attack load is to use jets/jumps, but bursts are super-effective against them (with 140 damage multiplier).

In the rock-paper-scissor scheme, there's need to be an effective method of countering bursts. HFDs and MHCs are probably good with range 10 (compared to range 9 for bursts), but they don't have armory equipment other than on Hoth. Unbuffed troops, even with superior range, are not effective against buffed defense.

Give MHC/HFD sand/forest skin and you have an effective way to clean up burst farm.

Sonic farm is actually fun to play against. Need to get some troops to trigger them.

LosVega
Major General

Post#7 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:32 pm

If you're having trouble with single turret type farms, you have the wrong load out. Sonic farms are too easily triggered with iths/kubaz, bantha/dewbacks or reb/storms. Burst turrets can be outranged as mentioned in the prior posts to this. If you're really running into burst farms alot, Kessen with meds and a couple of snipers will take them out as long as it's not a spread out wall stud base in combo with bursts. Sub in MHC/hailfire droids for the snipers for the wall stud bases. The base with 2 or 3 types of turrets is more difficult especially when the defender has the right mix. I personally don't care to run into burst/sonic or burst/rocket combo's.
BATTALION FAMILY
WOLF, DRAGON, REDBAK, ROYALX, FALCON, GATOR
Duza's Elite & Duza's Finest - Empire
Looking for a great squad? Come by for a visit, make new friends and maul
some ass

TNT
Major General

Post#8 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:15 am

LosVega wrote:If you're having trouble with single turret type farms, you have the wrong load out. Sonic farms are too easily triggered with iths/kubaz, bantha/dewbacks or reb/storms. Burst turrets can be outranged as mentioned in the prior posts to this. If you're really running into burst farms alot, Kessen with meds and a couple of snipers will take them out as long as it's not a spread out wall stud base in combo with bursts. Sub in MHC/hailfire droids for the snipers for the wall stud bases. The base with 2 or 3 types of turrets is more difficult especially when the defender has the right mix. I personally don't care to run into burst/sonic or burst/rocket combo's.

Yes, except no.
Kessen en Snipers will death march into the enemy base as soon as the next wave spawns. (in the rebels case they won't even reach their destination as the brilliant AI targets the spawn point and not the unit that spawned from it and thus they will get shot down by the long range Rodian Sniper GR before even pulling the trigger once)
HFD die to a single stray Tie Bomber run conjured by the Rodian Sniper GR and thus aren't effective either.
Join the OuterRimRioters.
Drama free, laid back, regular wars and multiple time zones coverage.
No Line or Discord required. (though the latter is available if you want to)

Also available in a trial version.

strawman3125
Commodore

Post#9 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:35 am

Great tutorial for taking out bursts/sonics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK6rp3ho2Yo

DarkRebel
Admiral

Post#10 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:02 am

Yeah, good player can beat any base, with SC drop and air. And that's expected.

Good player can beat poorly design bases without air/SC. With well designed base though, even with skills, the regular load isn't sufficient and often you have to drop the SC and use healship to get that 2nd star. 3rd star is rare.

Return to “General Discussions”