R.I.P. PartylikeVader

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Re: R.I.P. PartyLikeVader

Post#21 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:11 pm

Richaldo wrote:
mkenobi wrote:
Richaldo wrote:
All of our squad (Imperial not hippies) over 100k cannot get games on anywhere but Tat...

Unfortunately ... this is possibly the last straw for lots of players, a massive upgrade to level 11 may sound fun, but not when you can't even enjoy a simple battle...

Personally ... tonight Mario Cart is being dusted off... I've utterly lost the will in the last 24 hours. Good luck to all of you though :)

Sad hearing that from many medal cap players...

I really don't understand a game when you is punished only for being a winner. Is what the current medal system is in the game, a punishment. It punishes you with stronger rivals until your game life become a hell, and now prevents you to have the same game experience many here are having just because they haven't similar amount of medals?

Beside the base strength based matchmaking system, the medal system needs to be urgently fixed for something useful and able to help players and not punish them.

I've submitted a ticket... to be honest I don't want to be negative anymore on this... it's clear that a lot want this level 11, and a lot are having fun with the extreme dev bases... Me... i'm in purgatory.

I've decided to turn off my notifications again, i'm away this weekend till Monday so going to (try) and forget about it and see how I feel next week...

In all honesty though, it's a big decision for me... such a massive part of my life these last few years... there's always the option to just play wars or something? But to be honest, with my experience in gaming... sometimes it's better just to move on and find something else...

Will see. Fingers crossed all will be sorted by next week, and my ramblings will be consigned to the internets darkness...

Tonight I've a mario cart tournament with some of my old school buddies - and to be honest... i'm buzzing about that now!!!

Devvies for all now!
Leader ofSHADOW-GUARDrank140 148300k X
Looking forward to Ep9.

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#22 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:41 pm

Forceisweaknyou wrote:+1. Dev bases should be available to all. And if they think they need to be more difficult for us to make it more fair I'm fine with that as well.

I agree they should be available to all, but the reason they are so sought after is because PvP is too difficult for the average player. Commanders want to hit bases with reasonable chances of success. The game is fun when it's being played, and that means it is easier to attack than defend. GR units, and turret / building buffs are too strong and limit enjoyment of the game

It's much easier to hit Dev bases without them. So everyone hits dev bases rather than other player bases. Armoury buffs need to be nerfed, especially the defensive buffs.
HQ 10 - Sons of Death

You must do what you think is right, of course.

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#23 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:25 pm

ObiWanKenobi2016 wrote:
Forceisweaknyou wrote:+1. Dev bases should be available to all. And if they think they need to be more difficult for us to make it more fair I'm fine with that as well.

I agree they should be available to all, but the reason they are so sought after is because PvP is too difficult for the average player. Commanders want to hit bases with reasonable chances of success. The game is fun when it's being played, and that means it is easier to attack than defend. GR units, and turret / building buffs are too strong and limit enjoyment of the game

It's much easier to hit Dev bases without them. So everyone hits dev bases rather than other player bases. Armoury buffs need to be nerfed, especially the defensive buffs.

Good points. Certainly when there is an event or conflict it is easier to hit the dev bases. But these days I enjoy being on Tatooine where as an imperial I only face real bases.
Looking forward to Ep9.

PhoenixAZ1899
Admiral

Post#24 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:39 pm

Yes, yes, to Obi-Wan you listen!

Edit: as for the original subject: to be fair, I'm no fan of PLV, for lots of reasons, but they're not technically doing anything wrong.

The mini base thing? That's totally in-bounds. Cheap, in my opinion, and low, but in-bounds. They're taking advantage of a stupid matchmaking/base score set up by the devs. Kind of shrewd, to be honest.

The macro thing? Not very honorable, but if it's somebody's idea of fun to write a program like that, their call (and I suspect they'll just write another one to deal with the new UI anyway). The macro use seems driven by another thing the devs use: competition and FOMO (fear of missing out). By hanging out special units to only the top 2%, or top 10%, or even the top 20%, they compel players against one another, and people do things like write macros or give up on real life activities to they can be sure to unlock tognath, or rancors, or stuff like that. It's bumpkis, to use the nicest word I can think of. Games, even freemium games, should not be driven by competition or FOMO. Every player should be able to unlock every unit, if he or she invests enough time, skill, money, or combination thereof. The current system only rewards macro use and other work-arounds. The development team should aim to make money by pleasing players and delivering a satisfying product, not by capitalizing on fear or compulsion. Make a good game and trust the money to take care of itself. The Chick-Fil-A or Publix model as opposed to the McDonald's or used car sales or retail model.

Long & short:

1) while I'm no fan of PLV, we need to call a spade a spade and a rake a rake. They may be bending some rules and flirting with dishonor, but they're not technically breaking any rules and aren't cheaters (or one cheater with 15 accounts).

2) PLV and squads like them are the unfortunate consequence of choices by the SWC development to set up the game the way they have with their matchmaking and "limited time only for the top 10%" rewards system. The real fix to the problem (like the fix to so many other problems in life) is not to treat the symptom, but to change the motivation such that dishonesty or even fuzzy choice-making is no longer attractive.
Chasin' after my fortune & glory
~149,500 medals. Newborn Prestige Base. Free to play (use air and SC only in emergencies). Rank 30. Not bragging: these stats tell you what I am seeing at my level. Your mileage will vary.

ForceMel
Commodore

Post#25 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:04 pm

PLV has refilled his squad. He now has 23 players in his squad, and is ranked at 139, spot behind my squad.
Leader of perennially top 15 squad IIReBeLsII and number 12 player of the now defunct Windows servers. Current leader of Rebelsyiir.

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#26 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:48 pm

PhoenixAZ1899 wrote:Yes, yes, to Obi-Wan you listen!

Edit: as for the original subject: to be fair, I'm no fan of PLV, for lots of reasons, but they're not technically doing anything wrong.

The mini base thing? That's totally in-bounds. Cheap, in my opinion, and low, but in-bounds. They're taking advantage of a stupid matchmaking/base score set up by the devs. Kind of shrewd, to be honest.

The macro thing? Not very honorable, but if it's somebody's idea of fun to write a program like that, their call (and I suspect they'll just write another one to deal with the new UI anyway). The macro use seems driven by another thing the devs use: competition and FOMO (fear of missing out). By hanging out special units to only the top 2%, or top 10%, or even the top 20%, they compel players against one another, and people do things like write macros or give up on real life activities to they can be sure to unlock tognath, or rancors, or stuff like that. It's bumpkis, to use the nicest word I can think of. Games, even freemium games, should not be driven by competition or FOMO. Every player should be able to unlock every unit, if he or she invests enough time, skill, money, or combination thereof. The current system only rewards macro use and other work-arounds. The development team should aim to make money by pleasing players and delivering a satisfying product, not by capitalizing on fear or compulsion. Make a good game and trust the money to take care of itself. The Chick-Fil-A or Publix model as opposed to the McDonald's or used car sales or retail model.

Long & short:

1) while I'm no fan of PLV, we need to call a spade a spade and a rake a rake. They may be bending some rules and flirting with dishonor, but they're not technically breaking any rules and aren't cheaters (or one cheater with 15 accounts).

2) PLV and squads like them are the unfortunate consequence of choices by the SWC development to set up the game the way they have with their matchmaking and "limited time only for the top 10%" rewards system. The real fix to the problem (like the fix to so many other problems in life) is not to treat the symptom, but to change the motivation such that dishonesty or even fuzzy choice-making is no longer attractive.

Haha impressive quote Phoenix. You've always been adept at weaving the Beautiful culture of Star Wars into our game conversation. You make many solid points. It would be nice if things were more accessible without losing out on real life so much. But I also would add that making macros is cheating as defined in the user agreement.
Screenshot_20170827-210030.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Looking forward to Ep9.

PhoenixAZ1899
Admiral

Post#27 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:35 pm

I'd say that's a clear and compelling case, Force. Of course, Disney's silence to do much with macro-users or cheaters speaks louder than their user agreement, but you're spot on the money.
Chasin' after my fortune & glory
~149,500 medals. Newborn Prestige Base. Free to play (use air and SC only in emergencies). Rank 30. Not bragging: these stats tell you what I am seeing at my level. Your mileage will vary.

darthdoodie
Commodore

Post#28 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:50 pm

Please stop posting the user agreement ...lest you wish every "data miner" to be outed/banned, and KSOD to also be taken down.
KSOD quote:
" Where are you getting this data?
We have a droid logging in to the game and visiting all the squads. It notes down all the information it sees before moving on to the next squad."
ref: http://ksod.us/faq
That is a clear admission of "manipulation of...game client"
If PLV are cheats, then KSOD is equally infringing.

ChiptheFish
Major General

Post#29 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:59 pm

darthdoodie wrote:Please stop posting the user agreement ...lest you wish every "data miner" to be outed/banned, and KSOD to also be taken down.
KSOD quote:
" Where are you getting this data?
We have a droid logging in to the game and visiting all the squads. It notes down all the information it sees before moving on to the next squad."
ref: http://ksod.us/faq
That is a clear admission of "manipulation of...game client"
If PLV are cheats, then KSOD is equaelly infringing.

Apples and oranges my friend. I'm not a lawyer, but I think you and others that repeat this idea are misunderstanding the terms. The text specifically mentions "gameplay", not 'data mining' or any other method that could be used for stats. KSOD is not in any way altering the experience of players or the outcome of conflicts/wars. Macro players are directly pushing real players out of prizes and victories they deserve because of their efforts.
Chip the Fish, Rebel: HQ Prestige, Medals: 26K, Battle Rank: 13 (Android)
ObiTwo: Officer in this Level 43 Squad - Join us!
Casual but active L4-11 player's welcome. 2-3 wars a week. Any time-zone. English only

ChiptheFish
Major General

Post#30 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:01 pm

ForceMel wrote:PLV has refilled his squad. He now has 23 players in his squad, and is ranked at 139, spot behind my squad.

Guess he had enough time to rewrite his software and bring his bots back online... lol. Do the "new" members have different names?
Chip the Fish, Rebel: HQ Prestige, Medals: 26K, Battle Rank: 13 (Android)
ObiTwo: Officer in this Level 43 Squad - Join us!
Casual but active L4-11 player's welcome. 2-3 wars a week. Any time-zone. English only

Return to “General Discussions”